Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Official NHL 2018-2019 Thread

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I'm looking forward to my Avs proving that last year wasn't a fluke and they can build and keep going up!

Hopefully Detroit makes good on their many higher round picks..

Big hope considering Zetterberg's status and whether he'll be able to play or not. ;):poke:

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Hopefully Detroit makes good on their many higher round picks..

Big hope considering Zetterberg's status and whether he'll be able to play or not. ;):poke:

... aaaand they just announced his retirement. :o:cry:

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

San Jose can have one of Burns, Karlsson or Vlasic on the ice at all times. Scary. Still can't believe Wilson pulled off that trade... he didn't give up diddly squat. I assumed the price tag would be much, much higher.

On the other hand, I thought Bergevin did much better with the Pacioretty trade than some of his other deals. Time will tell, particularly on Nick Suzuki's development, but I thought he did better. Overall, I certainly agree that CH ownership and management are the least fun people ever and they hate everything good in the world. Broad strokes, sure.

As for Zetterberg... it's always sad when careers end with injuries like that. I hope he gets into the Hall one day, he dominated for so long. Datsyuk and Zetterberg were terrifying.

Oh yeah, and the Avs. Well, besides the potential to show that they really are a team on the upswing, they also have the luxury of already knowing they'll have one of the best draft picks in the Jack Hughes lottery thanks to Duh-rion in Ottawa. (All the Sens had to do last year was not trade for Duchene and offload Karlsson and Hoffman at the deadline for full value. They'd be set for years.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

NHL.com has this cool panoramic group photo of the current "star" players...

NHL star players panoramic photo

It was a fun quiz for myself to see how many I knew without looking at names. I didn't keep score, but I'm guessing I was around 60% accurate. How many can you get?

Drop the puck, hockey is here! Let's goooooooooo :w00t::cheers:

Caps hang the banner in about an hour. :cool:

As an aside, the Caps will be playing without Tom Wilson who is serving a 20 game suspension by the NHL. He needs to change his playing style.

:nopity:

Yeah, Tom Wilson really has to screw his head on. Four suspensions in a year, two of them in pre-season. That hit was completely avoidable and dirty. I have no doubt that losing 20 games and $1.2 million will help a little. They went from slaps on the wrist to lashes with him.

I'll tell you one thing... Toronto fans (and media) are next-level annoying now that they've signed Tavares. Gonna be hard to walk that walk all the way...

Vegas seems to disagree with you. ;)

What, because they made it to the Cup final last year? Completely different situation and you know it.

Come at me, I've been practicing ripping on the Leafs since before I could talk. :poke:;)

Detroit and Florida are the only two teams without a win this season.

Alternatively, New Jersey is the only undefeated team! Chicago has yet to have a regulation loss.

NHL standings

I was scared Edmonton would be the only team without a point. Thankfully, Connor and Cam pulled out the win over an objectively weak Rangers team. Hopefully, the secondary scoring shows up someday and the defence settles down.

I'm very impressed by Carolina so far. They are young, fast, and skilled. Montréal has started well too, considering expectations.

Seen on Instagram today:

Oilers: "We can't have Connor doing everything."

Connor McDavid: *does everything*

Oilers: "Well I think we've learned our lesson here."

Last night Connor McDavid tied Jari Kurri and Paul Coffey for the second most 4+ point games in Oilers history before the age of 22 (5 games). Wayne Gretzky is first with 59.

You can talk about different eras all you want but that stat is just mind-boggling. How, Wayner???

• 2 weeks later...

Montréal just broke the record for fastest consecutive goals in history!!! 2 seconds between goals! Absolutely unbelievable, even with the empty net!

Also, Edmonton coming through with a big 4-0 win against Chicago tonight, solidifying their good start. Mm-mm good.

How's everybody else feeling? Leafs fans depressed about Matthews? Detroit fans depressed about, well, pretty much everything?

Leafs fans depressed about Matthews?

Toronto was killing everybody until Pittsburgh came to town and showed the rest of the league how to throttle their offense. Now they can't score, with or without Matthews. Any truth to the rumour that the Oilers have been talking to the Leafs about a deal that would include Nylander for Nurse?

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

• 3 weeks later...
Todd McLellan fired and replaced by Ken Hitchcock this morning... curious to see how the team responds, even if it won't fix a flawed roster. The Oilers have been very inconsistent under McLellan. Perhaps they'll take to Hitch's style. If they miss the playoffs, Chiarelli will be cleaning out his desk in a hurry.

Perhaps they'll take to Hitch's style.

Hitch is a curious choice, especially with Quennville still out there. His reputation as a defense-first hardass is well-earned. He's famous for butting heads with gifted scorers like Brett Hull and Vladimir Tarasenko and demanding they pay more attention to defense--and benching them ruthlessly if they don't comply. His system, while boring to watch, had some positive results with a loaded Dallas team during the dead puck era: one Stanley Cup win, famously decided on an ugly in-the-crease goal so tainted that it still rivals the pain of "wide right" in the hearts of Buffalo sports fans. His St. Louis teams were always tenacious on defense, good enough to make the playoffs regularly, but they could never score enough to make serious cup runs. The game got faster and more wide open, and his teams didn't seem to adapt very well. Still, Mike Babcock thought enough of his abilities to choose him for his Team Canada staff. The key to Hitch's success in Edmonton IMHO is going to be in the relationship he forges with Connor McJesus. If McDavid buys in to whatever system he imposes, then it could be interesting with the all the latent talent on your roster. If the two don't click, I fear the very big generation gap between Hitch and his charges will lead to yet more heartbreak for Edmonton fans.

“True terror is to wake up one morning and discover that your high school class is running the country.”
― Kurt Vonnegut

• 6 months later...

Surprised there hasn't been activity on this.

My apologies (not really) to my Dallas friends for knocking you out....but no apologies to San Jose! We are currently minutes away from advancing to the Stanley cup finals for the first time since 1970 (1 yr before I was born) once again facing the Bruins! Very exciting times for St. Louis! After the hand pass fiasco, I'm proud of our team for taking the high road and focusing on the upcoming games.

Edit: extra sweet to take down a team owned by Stan Kroenke after the Rams deal....still owe $300MM in an empty dome and lawsuits ongoing over PSL's and other issues.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

[video:youtube]355Fk8drgZE

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Congrats Dan! Should be a great series. I was cheering for the Blues over the Sharks, but I'm pretty split between the Blues and Bruins.

And of course, I'm following Ken Holland as he starts to work on the Oilers. Craig MacTavish and Duane Sutter have moved on, seems a coach may get hired in the coming days.

Glad to see Tyler Bozak earn a shot at a Stanley Cup. He was always a class act with the Leafs and an unheralded contributor.

And of course, I'm following Ken Holland as he starts to work on the Oilers. Craig MacTavish and Duane Sutter have moved on, seems a coach may get hired in the coming days.

Would you take Mike Babcock and William Nylander for Nurse and a second-rounder? (Not sure Holland would be interested in Coach Babsbeen there, done that.)

― Kurt Vonnegut