Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2947101 - 09/07/18 03:59 PM OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake.
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
I would not normally bore you guys with this, but I think it is pretty cool. It is a championship tour event at Kelly Slaters Surf Ranch in Lemoore, Ca, nowhere near an ocean. It is a 2000 foot by 500 foot artificial lake with a machine that creates a perfect right breaking wave and left breaking wave. Everyone rides each wave and every wave is the same. Since the waves are the same, the only thing that matters is the surfers skill. It is on Saturday on CBS 2pm Hawaii time, so 11am pacific. You will see the best surfers in the world. Even tho the waves are man made the best surfer in the world wiped out on both waves earlier this year.

Edited by surfergirl (09/07/18 04:19 PM)

GP Island
#2947107 - 09/07/18 04:58 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: surfergirl]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
I have seen videos of Slaters Surf Ranch, and it looks definitely cool. The waves are awesome. I will have to watch it since I was a surfer back in the day.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/17/sport/surfing-wsl-surf-ranch-kelly-slater-spt/index.html
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2947127 - 09/07/18 06:53 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Wow....a machine that not only makes waves big enough to surf but has been programmed for perfect waves !
freak
At least it's real rather than VR. twothumbs
.......Still, think I'll stick w/Sleater-Kinney facepalm

#2947858 - 09/12/18 11:11 AM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Couldn't fit Sleater-Kinney idk in but how's this ?

But Wait---there's more !

#2947961 - 09/12/18 06:44 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I spaced it off and forgot to watch it. Oh well.

#2947982 - 09/12/18 11:32 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I missed it too...but here's some of the surfing action:

#2948213 - 09/14/18 03:36 AM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
"Artificial" lake? smirk

So, WHERE do they get the FAKE WATER? crazy
Whitefang

#2948330 - 09/14/18 01:08 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: whitefang]
surfergirl Offline

My original thought was, a very large man made hole in the ground lined with concrete and filled with a lot of water. I decided to shorten it, my bad.

Edited by surfergirl (09/14/18 01:15 PM)

#2948407 - 09/15/18 04:23 AM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: surfergirl]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Your original thought would be a good definition. I was just havin' a bit of fun. wink
Whitefang

#2948475 - 09/15/18 01:17 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: surfergirl]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
My original thought was, a very large man made hole in the ground lined with concrete and filled with a lot of water. I decided to shorten it, my bad.

SG, uh, is that a complete thought ? idk

#2948476 - 09/15/18 01:22 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d

SG, uh, is that a complete thought ? idk

Were you a surfer? If you were, you would know that is a complete thought...No offense just sayin.

#2948478 - 09/15/18 01:31 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nah, never surfed as much as Brian Wilson rolleyes
However that remark is not a complete thought & doesn't say anything pos/neg abt a man-made device, which, I would guess, is less like anything in the real world...although, we nust recognize is getting close & closer "airday" to what fools most of us .

Make me hip to what I dont know...

#2948497 - 09/15/18 02:35 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: d]
surfergirl Offline

Everything I know about is what I have read and the few hours of competition I have seen. If you are really interested, Google Kelly Slater Surf Ranch and scroll down to the Surfer Today article. It will tell you everything. Sorry I can't be more help, but it's new and unlikely I ever see it let alone surf it. It is an interesting idea, but will never replace the ocean.

#2948509 - 09/15/18 03:26 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: surfergirl]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Everything I know about is what I have read and the few hours of competition I have seen. If you are really interested, Google Kelly Slater Surf Ranch and scroll down to the Surfer Today article. It will tell you everything. Sorry I can't be more help, but it's new and unlikely I ever see it let alone surf it. It is an interesting idea, but will never replace the ocean.

The one thing Kelly Slater Surf Ranch can do is charge people money to surf. Making money for the investors.

The beauty of surfing ocean waves is how energetic it is. If I had a good surf session in real juicy waves back in the day, I would leave the water "high", not like on alcohol or drugs, but high on the energy the waves generate when they break. All of that pent up energy the waves gathered from the wind that created them, is let loose when the under surface swell hits the sea floor, whether it be beach break or reef break.

That energy is visible in the surf movie Free Ride a 70's or 80's surf movie featuring tube rides by Shaun Thompson from South Africa. He surfed backdoor pipe in the movie, double overhead, and the movie editors did a super slow motion on some of the rides and you can actually see the patterns of energy in the waves during those slow motion segments. At first I thought I was imagining the natural high, but when I saw that film I knew I was absorbing that energy somehow.

When I was in Cardiff By The Sea California Monday and Tuesday Sept 10 and 11th, I priced wet-suits at the Rip Curl store in Encinitas California, I am thinkin a few surf sessions before I croak would be a good thing....

#2948976 - 09/18/18 04:39 PM Re: OT: Pro Surfing event on artificial lake. [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'd imagine that one advantage of an artificially generated wave might be a controlled effect for various desired conditions.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose