Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

Im a little concerned about the position of the master volume and input volume knobs. Seems easy to grab the wrong one in the heat of the moment...

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Yamaha_MODX7.jpg

REALLY? With all the griping about the wheel placement, you expect us to believe that the 2 knobs at the very top of the machine are in danger of accidental manipulation??? I dunno

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Yamaha_MODX_back.jpg

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I think the Montage is leaps and bound easier to program then my old MOXF.

I don't own a Montage, but I have spent time with one, helping program some shows for a friend. That touch screen...wow! Love it.

I think the MODX is very cool. I bought my MOXF back then, instead of Motif due to $$$$. I might be tempted to spring for a MODX 7.

I have both XF7 and MOXF6. Never programmed Montage but MOXF is harder than even XF due to tiny screen = increased menu diving and non-intuitive presentation of data. If I hadnt already learned a lot of the XF, the MOXF would have been very daunting for me.

This is a big deal for Yamaha imo. Pulls them squarely back to the front of pack for mid-range professional boards - unless you need a clone, of course :).

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

This is a big deal for Yamaha imo. Pulls them squarely back to the front of pack for mid-range professional boards - unless you need a clone, of course.

And it's great to see them include a touchscreen on a non-flagship keyboard. :thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Read somewhere that Motif aftertouch wasnt very well implemented. Maybe were better off without.

I find the aftertouch on my XF8 to be quite functional. No issues for me.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

This is a big deal for Yamaha imo. Pulls them squarely back to the front of pack for mid-range professional boards - unless you need a clone, of course.

And it's great to see them include a touchscreen on a non-flagship keyboard. :thu:

Yes, it is. But for perspective, the Korg Krome has had a touch display since what, 2012?

Read somewhere that Motif aftertouch wasnt very well implemented. Maybe were better off without.
Nah. You probably just heard that from some guy on the internet. ;-)

The Jupiter 80 is an example of poorly implemented aftertouch... bu not because of any problem with the mechanism, it's just that the software was very limited in what you could assign the aftertouch to. Yamaha is at least generally pretty good about letting you assign pretty much anything to anything. Regardless, it's also useful when triggering external sounds, regardless of any internal implementation.

it's great to see them include a touchscreen on a non-flagship keyboard. :thu:

Yes, it is. But for perspective, the Korg Krome has had a touch display since what, 2012?

Korg M50... 2008.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

on my XF7, I only used AT on exactly one song. I found it so hypersensitive I had to be extremely careful to not trigger it prematurely. so careful it required an almost distracting degree of focus to play the note super soft/light until i wanted to trigger the AT effect.

its a different semi-weighted keybed, no reason to assume XF8 weighted is at all the same.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

on my XF7, I only used AT on exactly one song. I found it so hypersensitive I had to be extremely careful to not trigger it prematurely. so careful it required an almost distracting degree of focus to play the note super soft/light until i wanted to trigger the AT effect.

its a different semi-weighted keybed, no reason to assume XF8 weighted is at all the same.

True, depends on which keybed we're talking about. I know one thing, the aftertouch on my YS200 was virtually impossible to activate.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

45.2? That's a lot of lbs, given that the 88-note MOXF8/MX88 were 33-ish if I remember?

Cheers, Mike.

Hopefully either that's a typo or the full shipping weight.

Different, better-quality-but-heavier action, perhaps? Also interesting to see what they'll use in the MOXF7. If it's the Piaggero action, that's no bad thing. Piaggero is graded sprung action, would you believe - and the bass (heavy) end of that is very nice. At the treble end it gets a bit light, but it's much nicer than the Krome/Kross action, for example.

(The MODX isn't for me - I don't have a dog in this race, but I'm going to enter a P121 in the "lightweight affordable 7x-note better-than-TP100 hammer-action" steeplechase)

Cheers, Mike.

45.2? That's a lot of lbs, given that the 88-note MOXF8/MX88 were 33-ish if I remember?

Hopefully either that's a typo or the full shipping weight.

Yes, something is definitely off as it lists both the item weight AND the shipping weight as 45.2 (and as David says, Amazon weights are not to be trusted anyway).

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I've never played a Motif, but the only gripes I've ever heard about the aftertouch is that it's channel and not polyphonic.

Michael Rideout

Many will disagree, but when I tried out a Montage 6 I thought it was the best action, of its kind, that I'd ever laid my hands on. Hoping this one is in that ballpark.

I'd bet a very large donut that MODX action is much closer to MOXF than it is to Montage (both for 88 weighted and non-88 "semi"). TBD if it is the exact same as MOXF (which didn't have a 76)

The Montage AWM2 + FM and the audio hardware onboard sounds excellent. I am not sure how much the DAC theyve chosen is playing a part. But if you A/B with budget boards like Roland FA and MOXF or Krome, theres no comparison. Id be very curious to see how much like the Montage the MODX sounds.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Not sure I want to open this can of worms, but wasn't it settled on the Motifator site that the MOXF and Motif XF use the same DAC?

I wouldn't doubt that the MX has lower quality hardware, but I guess the question is what changed from the Motif to the Montage in terms of the DAC and will that carry over to the MODX?

I like my MX49, but there is a BIG difference in the overall sound quality between it and my MOXF, due to the limit on insert effects and lack of FX, etc. (I can't attest to how much of this from the DAC)

I haven't really discerned any difference in sound quality between my MOXF and Motif. (ducks...) :bang:

Studio: Motif XF8 / MacBook Pro / Apollo Twin X / M-Audio BX8a / Plug-ins

Live Rig A: Nord Stage 3 Compact 73 / Prophet Rev2 / Various FX pedals (Eventide, Strymon, Lounsberry, Neo Vent II)

Live Rig B: Yamaha MODX7 / Crumar D9-X / B3-X  (iPad)

Amp: MS KP-610s

Not sure I want to open this can of worms, but wasn't it settled on the Motifator site that the MOXF and Motif XF use the same DAC?

I wouldn't doubt that the MX has lower quality hardware, but I guess the question is what changed from the Motif to the Montage in terms of the DAC and will that carry over to the MODX?

I like my MX49, but there is a BIG difference in the overall sound quality between it and my MOXF, due to the limit on insert effects and lack of FX, etc. (I can't attest to how much of this from the DAC)

I haven't really discerned any difference in sound quality between my MOXF and Motif. (ducks...) :bang:

I dont recall that settlement - was it settled by someone who actually knows something? I thought the opposite was settled though I dont believe the delta is very significant. Its not like Carnegie hall vs an iPhone in a tin can. I have both - in a band mix im not sure i can hear the difference with the things i do. Perhaps a naked AP would be noticeable, not really sure.

Not sure I want to open this can of worms, but wasn't it settled on the Motifator site that the MOXF and Motif XF use the same DAC? [...]

No, they use different DACs. The Motif XF (and the XS) use the Asahi Kasei AK4393 DAC. The MOXF uses the Wolfson WM8740. Both are 24-bit 192kHz devices. The WM8740 might be less expensive than the AK4393, but it performs well and can be found in some higher-end audio gear.

[...] I haven't really discerned any difference in sound quality between my MOXF and Motif. (ducks...)

There's little difference in sound quality between the XF and MOXF. Most listeners on Motifator were unable to discern a difference between the same material recorded on an XF versus a MOXF.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

DACs do not produce noticeable differences in audiophile gear after a relatively low threshold is reached. It is an area where people pay more simply because they believe more must mean better. Maybe specs are better but it cannot be heard with your ears, only your imagination.

The converter chips themselves aren't supposed to have any sonic footprint whatsoever, but the analog part of the design can certainly influence the sound quality.

There are tons of threads on gearslutz about this, some of it pretty enlightening.