Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

Its not April, its October. And your answer makes no sense. If the problem is buggy software then the few units they are releasing, would be buggy as well. If the software is good in the units that have been sold, then it could be good in all of them.

You're mixing up answers to two different situations. Taking more time to complete the software was suggested as possible explanation for why it didn't start shipping until August (after they first said they expected it to ship sooner). That was not offered as a reason for why they started shipping in August yet they are still so hard to come by, which was your original concern. I never suggested that the ones they shipped in August were buggy. I had different thoughts about why they're still hard to find, as explained in posts #2944741 and #2944996 within the last page or so. Nothing to do with buggy software.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks for your reply, Dr88s. :-)

Well, I see that a major retailer in England has 3 in stock. But, I'm not that desperate to plunck down $808.50 (including Value Added Tax), plus shipping costs and duties...especially if it might be hitting U.S. stores in late September/early October.

I just wish we had some firm, reliable information, directly from Studiologic.

New 2x video by Chris Martirano for Full Compass:

Very thin sounding organ on this video, huh? Would love to see the tonewheel model more explored to a rock/blues context instead of the same old Jimmy Smith sound that it appears on most videos... But the synths are sounding great there.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Would love to see the tonewheel model more explored to a rock/blues context instead of the same old Jimmy Smith sound that it appears on most videos...

I suspect we're not seeing that because that's when overdrive becomes important, which is probably a weakness here.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I suspect we're not seeing this instrument yet because every time someone comes out with something, news gets around so fast the nay-saying and "one more thing" wish list takes them back to at least square 3.

Here for the gear.

For those who have the NC2, how do you like the pitch/mod substitutes? Are they easy to get used to? Accurate?

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

For those who have the NC2, how do you like the pitch/mod substitutes? Are they easy to get used to? Accurate?

Honestly, they are small and touchy and a bit low res imho. Takes while to get used to, but they're workable and I'm glad they are there.

The pitch stick is little weird that conflicting up/down messages are sent when moving it both down and to the right or up and to the left. Ya have to be careful and conform to strict perpendicular movement; one or the other. Sprung to center from all directions.

The mod stick is free left to right for additive vibrato and Rotary off/on, but unfortunately sprung to center vertically. A bummer as that mostly controls the filter sweep. It sure would be nice to bump it a bit to brighten a pad and let go to play with both hands. Perhaps I'll open it up one of these days to see if I can mod it and remove the spring. The 2X provides a fader for this. I'm still on the fence if I'll upgrade.

Would love to see the tonewheel model more explored to a rock/blues context instead of the same old Jimmy Smith sound that it appears on most videos...

I suspect we're not seeing that because that's when overdrive becomes important, which is probably a weakness here.

Im learning this too.

Manuals and demos leaving out sounds and critical (to me at least) MIDI Info do this for a reason.

OTOH I really like the Jimmy Smith Type Sound becaus the HX-3 is basically a Dirty Tonewheel emulation. Go to no rotary and full dirt, or just half dirt Boston/Uriah Heep dirt.

Im still tossing around the idea of this cheap little doobie.

Id love to give my K4 a rest. But I need 4 zones at least.

I could use a Piano and split/switch 3 other zones and be fine.

But the internal sounds have to be good enough to use 2 of them for every new performance.

Recently bought the Dexibell SX7 Module.

Im so close to getting away from racked PCs it only takes something like the Compact 2X to swing me over.

Fingers crossed.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Im still tossing around the idea of this cheap little doobie.

I could use a Piano and split/switch 3 other zones and be fine.

But the internal sounds have to be good enough to use 2 of them for every new performance.

Kuzweil SP6? (cheapest 88-key board with clonewheel and 4 zones)

I also need 4 zones, at least. Im trying to figure out if the Midi Solutions Router will do the trick.

You can download the control software to explore options without needing it connected to the device.

http://www.midisolutions.com/progtool.htm

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

I bought a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus ($149) a few months ago for this very purpose. Supposedly, this is THE device to do external zoning (i.e. to external devices, via 5-pin MIDI).

It does all sorts of other tricks, as well, but my main plan is to chop up my NC2X, so that I can output 4-7 zones, each on a separate MIDI channel. :D

I bought a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus ($149) a few months ago for this very purpose. Supposedly, this is THE device to do external zoning (i.e. to external devices, via 5-pin MIDI).

It does all sorts of other tricks, as well, but my main plan is to chop up my NC2X, so that I can output 4-7 zones, each on a separate MIDI channel. :D

Now, I was talking about the Router. Does the Event Processor Plus also do Splits/Zones? Which is the more capable device?

It appears that you are correct! I guess I had misread the capabilities of the MIDI Event Processor Plus. The Router is ideal for setting up zones.

While the Event Processor Plus does some really cool things, zoning doesn't appear to be it's strength. I guess I'll need to sell mine on eBay...LOL

Sipario - >$300. How about $6.99? - https://www.midiflow.com (you'll need your iPhone or iPad and an iOS midi interface). I just looked at it for a few seconds but it seems to have some decent midi processing features.

Good point Rob. But that $6.99 excludes the phone or tablet - and I'm always afraid that if I use my "main" iThing for something like Midiflow, an OS update will break it, and/or they'll decide to stop developing it. At least the Sipario will still work even if the manufacturer goes bankrupt.

The alternative is to not update IOS at all. I would not recommend doing this on your "main" device, but rather dedicate an iThing to Midiflow - without updating. But then the cost of the device should be added to the $6.99 for the app.

On a software rig like yours, of course, the controller's zoning abilities are irrelevant.

Cheers, Mike.

Good point Rob. But that $6.99 excludes the phone or tablet -

IPad Pro is $120 off at Costco this month. :D

Sipario - >$300. How about $6.99? - https://www.midiflow.com (you'll need your iPhone or iPad and an iOS midi interface). I just looked at it for a few seconds but it seems to have some decent midi processing features.

Thanks for this. A lot of power for $7 bucks.