Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

Well slap me silly and call me Sally.

I cant believe this much Montage has trickled down to sub $2k.

Big AWM2 + FMX and the motion seq stuff with the knob.

I have to admit that I am intrigued by this. I love FM in general, and 5.67Gb of waveform ROM, 1 Gb Flash RAM, 8 operator FM-X & Expanded multi-channel USB audio interface,to name but a few improvements are hard to ignore!

Does anyone know if Montage now supports direct imports of 6 Operator FM Voices yet?

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

[...] Does anyone know if Montage now supports direct imports of 6 Operator FM Voices yet?

Indirectly via a web app.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/montage/compatibility.html

https://www.yamahasynth.com/yamaha-fm-converter

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

[...] Does anyone know if Montage now supports direct imports of 6 Operator FM Voices yet?

Indirectly via a web app.

https://usa.yamaha.com/products/music_production/synthesizers/montage/compatibility.html

https://www.yamahasynth.com/yamaha-fm-converter

I was aware of this option, but I still strongly prefer onboard native import conversion ability, in case I need to import voices during a gig, etc.

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Well, this thing came along much faster than anyone imagined. That seems rather telling to me and may indicate the lack of success of the Montage.

The Montage at its price point is a premium product with a unique niche compared to everyone else's flagship offering. IMO, that limits its interest in the market place.

With the lower price of the MODX, I bet this will be a real winner for Yamaha.

Again, my main observation is that it hit the market so soon.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Has Yamaha put a decent organ in any of their boards yet? I might still be using my Motif for gigs if it wasn't for that...

Not looking for a Mojo competitor, heck just want a cx3/Kurzweil/roland VR level of organ and especially leslie sim.

this thing came along much faster than anyone imagined. That seems rather telling to me and may indicate the lack of success of the Montage.

Well think about it... it's been almost three years since the Montage was introduced at NAMM 2016. Definitely time to refresh the aging MOXF series.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Has Yamaha put a decent organ in any of their boards yet? I might still be using my Motif for gigs if it wasn't for that...

Not looking for a Mojo competitor, heck just want a cx3/Kurzweil/roland VR level of organ and especially leslie sim.

Most Montage reviewers have said organ was a bit better than XF but wouldn't confuse anyone with an actual clone. My take is it'd meet my limited hammond need but is a poor choice for any true b3 player. This will only have 4 sliders that could be assigned as drawbars for starters ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

tumblr_peowtjfnhb1ulxsruo1_1280.jpg

I see transport controls. Maybe they didn't remove the sequencer? Please??

Edit: Sigh...the pitch and mod wheels are above. Why...

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Well, this thing came along much faster than anyone imagined. That seems rather telling to me and may indicate the lack of success of the Montage.

With the lower price of the MODX, I bet this will be a real winner for Yamaha.

lets follow the bouncing ball

The Montage is too expensive.

The MODX will be a hit

But it hit the market to soon

There must be an ambiguous noun in there some where

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I'm not a Montage expert, but my understanding is Montgae doesn't have a sequencer as most would think of it (16-track midi recorder). I think it can "play" things you load in - maybe that is all those transport buttons do?

Edit Answer: so its shorter? I'm hopeful for that, if I can get a MODX7 into a shorter case that doesn't exceed airlines 50" oversize rule - wahoo! length and weight are two key specs I'm waiting to see.

Motif XF was 49", can't put it in a case and stay under 50". plus weight of 38 lbs requires a more substantial travel case to protect it from airline monkeys. Impossible to stay under 50 lbs there - so double fail on the airline oversize/weight limits. My MOXF6 flies in an SKB molded case (combined MOXF6 + case ~ 35 lbs).

if I could somehow get an MODX7 in a case under those two limits - game changer for me. tbd ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

[quote=engineerjoel

When people complain about boards, a lot of them ask for a shorter width. Hence all the posts saying "why don't they make a 7x version........"

Placing the pitch and mod wheels above the keys is an obvious way of making any board shorter.

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

I don't know... It was three years from Motif XF to MOXF announcements, and we're now coming up on 3 years since the Montage (in January), not so different.

Sigh...the pitch and mod wheels are above.

Yay...the pitch and mod wheels are above!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

For an 88 I dont mind the pitch/mod above the keys. For a synth action Id prefer it to the side, but the airplane argument resonates with me.

If I could stick a 76 in a soft case as carry-on, its an acceptable tradeoff.

But Ill most likely get the 88 anyway. I do hope theyll replace the GHS with the GH, or whatever is in the CP40. Thatd be awesome, Montage piano, lightweight, good action...aw st...

As I understand it, the full sequencer from the Motif\MOX\MOXF series was removed, but it still has extensive onboard Arpeggio capabilities (over 10,000 with up to 8 arpeggio parts simultaneously) as well as "Motion sequencing"....

But it hit the market to soon

Just read the words I actually wrote. It makes a little more sense. :boing::boing:

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

Lack of a "decent" organ would likely be the only reason I would hesitate to buy it. Yamaha with its outstanding technical staff could engineer decent organ sounds....

Yep, I'm sure we all have our own idea of "decent enough"...mine would be somewhere around where my pc3 is or even where my Roland VR-700 was. Neither of those would be a choice for a "real" organ player but the Roland especially sounded fine in a rock band setting. Yamaha has just chosen to ignore that aspect of keyboarding, I guess they know their market better than I do...just stinks that I happen to be one of the (few, I guess) people that needs that for a gigging do-everything keyboard.

Im a little concerned about the position of the master volume and input volume knobs. Seems easy to grab the wrong one in the heat of the moment...

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Yamaha_MODX7.jpg

http://sandsoftwaresound.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/09/Yamaha_MODX_back.jpg

Where is the volume? Not a fader like all recent yamaha boards? I like a fader for volume ...

------------

In my email inbox from Yamaha ...

READY FOR SOMETHING NEW?

Join us via Facebook Live at facebook.com/yamahasynths on September 14, 2018 at 1 p.m. (EDT) for an exciting new product announcement with live performances by Yamaha artists Nicholas Semrad, Domi Degalle and special guest, Richard Devine. Included the link below ...

Link to Yamaha livestream announcement ...

Special Yamaha Synthesizer LIVESTREAM Event: Friday, September 14, 1PM/1300 Eastern Daylight Time ... (blah blah ...)

[...]Dropping after touch is silly (imho).

It's been standard practice for Yamaha. The Motifs have aftertouch, the MO models don't. To get all the features you have to pay the price for the flagship model.

I cant make out the back of the unit... is there an expression pedal input?

As best I can tell, besides the USB connectors, left to right it's...

MIDI OUT

MIDI IN

FOOT SWITCH ASSIGNABLE

FOOT SWITCH SUSTAIN

FOOT CONTROLLER 2

FOOT CONTROLLER 1

OUTPUT R

OUTPUT L/MONO

PHONES

A/D INPUT R

A/D INPUT L/MONO

So it appears there are two inputs for a continuous pedal.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

It's been standard practice for Yamaha. The Motifs have aftertouch, the MO models don't. To get all the features you have to pay the price for the flagship model.

Actually, that is the standard practice for every single manufacturer out there with (almost) no exception. Korg, Roland, Nord, they all do it.

I would expect AT is an immediate obvious place to reduce PPV cost in order to deliver a value-priced line to the market.

Im ok without AT - I have it on my XF and used it on still just one song in now 7 years. MODX7 may be the board that gets me to sell my still-cherry XF7 although that sounds like a total hassle. Maybe one of my kids will develop a musical zeal and i can just gift it down. So far ... one loves dance and one loves xbox.

IMO: no release velocity is not that much of an issue to me, however my hat is off to anyone that really makes use of it - I tried a few times, but the ability to vary my "key-off" technique is just not that good. I'd be curious to know if there really are a decent number of keyboardists that use rv.

And aftertouch... again imo - the "reduce cost" argument doesn't hold much water with me. I have no first hand knowledge of what that strip of pressure sensing felt along the bottom of a keybed might cost, but can't imagine it being more than a couple of quid at most. To me it's strictly a marketing decision to make keyboardists who really need AT (like myself) spend the extra hundreds of dollars (or more) to buy the next tier of keyboards.