Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha MODX

he's merely predicting my future ... except its MONX. err MOTX? MNTX? aww, who cares. MODX it is!

just need to add the traditional Yammy 4 x 16 program select buttons array in bottom just to the right of the touchscreen and he's got it. he is 15 months ahead of the official launch, OP has plenty of time to fix the layout :).

i want that throbbing superknob - not that i'll do alot of sonic morphing etc like the cool EDM hipster cats, but i can preset the pulse rate to the tempo of songs that i start alone on keys :).

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

hjust need to add the traditional Yammy 4 x 16 program select buttons

I like those too... but if they were to come out with a budget touchscreen model, I could see them using the touchscreen for all button functions rather than keeping the hard buttons as well.

I feel pretty well set with my gear these days. But if there were a 7x version of that with aftertouch that weighed well under 30 lbs, I'd have to get it anyway. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

But if there were a 7x version of that with aftertouch that weighed well under 30 lbs, I'd have to get it anyway. ;-)

I rather fear that if you're Korg, Yamaha or Roland, you get aftertouch on your flagship (Kronos, Montage - erm, A800Pro?) and nowhere else. Even Kurzweil, who were my heroes for retaining aftertouch and internal PSU on the PC3LE, have dropped it on newer non-flagship boards.

My first board was an Alpha Juno 2 - not a flagship, but one of the nicest actions I've ever tried.

Cheers, Mike.

The MODX is a thing. Apparently there are 61-, 76-, and 88-key versions. They haven't been announced by Yamaha yet, but now that the news has been leaked it probably won't be too long before it's official. :)

EDIT: PS-- I understand that it's expected in at least one UK store just after the middle of September, as in less than 2 weeks from now.

https://yamahamusicians.com/the-new-modx-keyboard-from-yamaha-raising-the-bar-for-mid-range-synths/

EDIT #2: I guess I should have said "online UK retailer" (gear4music?). I don't know when it's expected to be in any brick-and-mortar stores.

EDIT #3,462: https://www.gear4music.com/Keyboards-and-Pianos/Yamaha-MODX7-Synthesizer-Keyboard/2NRS

Michael Rideout

Stirring the pot...

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=186&t=11615&sid=57ee7290afd9977473320e082bfabc79

By the way, fccid.io is not a Federal Communications Commission website.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:RPjSL-VnnGgJ:https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-MODX8-88-Key-Weighted-Synthesizer/dp/B07GKB1TXG%2Byamaha+modx

Note that...

There is a newer model of this item:

Yamaha MOXF8 Music Production Workstation

$1,699.99

:wave:

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

If this is real, Im glad I didnt spring for the MOXF. I see a MODX8 replacing my MX88 as soon as it comes out.

Now I just need Roland to make a flagship 76er and all will be right in the world.

edit:

it says 28-voice AWM2 polyphony? Thats stingy, even though it has 64-voice FM polyphony. But the piano and ep will be AWM2, and thats where you really need a little more than 28, Id think.

Also, since we only see a 76-key, maybe they plan to sell that alongside the MOXF for the time being, until sales of the latter slow down.

edit:

it says 28-voice AWM2 polyphony? Thats stingy, even though it has 64-voice FM polyphony. But the piano and ep will be AWM2, and thats where you really need a little more than 28, Id think.

Also, since we only see a 76-key, maybe they plan to sell that alongside the MOXF for the time being, until sales of the latter slow down.

First thing that I noticed was the 28 note polyphony on the AWM2 side. I am guessing that is a typo and they meant to say 128 note polyphony??? This thing is loaded with performances, which suck up a lot of voices.

Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha AN200, Logic Pro X,  Arturia Microbrute, Behringer Model D, Yamaha UX-3 Acoustic Piano, assorted homemade synth modules

Yeah, I saw that and thought/hoped the same thing. I mean, when was the last time you saw a maximum polyphony on a keyboard that wasn't a multiple of 16 or 24? If it really is supposed to be 28 and not 128, that would be a huge step backward.

EDIT: According to that Gear4Music ad (see link in previous post),

The MODX7 Synth also includes 1GB of integrated flash memory and 192-note total polyphony.

So that must mean it has 128-note AWM2 polyphony plus 64-note FM-X polyphony.

Michael Rideout

Based on the expected delivery dates mentioned in the Gear4Music ad, I wonder if Yamaha was planning to unveil the MODX next week at the NAMM Musikmesse Russia (which I had no idea was a thing until I searched Googled Binged for "is there a musical instrument show in september 2018"):

https://www.tradefairdates.com/NAMM-Musikmesse-Russia-M12720/Moscow.html

Michael Rideout

Yeah, I saw that and thought/hoped the same thing. I mean, when was the last time you saw a maximum polyphony on a keyboard that wasn't a multiple of 16 or 24? If it really is supposed to be 28 and not 128, that would be a huge step backward.

EDIT: According to that Gear4Music ad (see link in previous post),

The MODX7 Synth also includes 1GB of integrated flash memory and 192-note total polyphony.

So that must mean it has 128-note AWM2 polyphony plus 64-note FM-X polyphony.

Im sure the 28 was a typo. Montage was advertd as 128 Stereo note polyphony - i didnt quite wrap my head around how that helps more than 128 note polyph. I imagine MODX is the same as Montage.
The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

EDIT #2: I guess I should have said "online UK retailer" (gear4music?). I don't know when it's expected to be in any brick-and-mortar stores.

Gear4Music IS a brick-and-mortar store, as well as an online entity. They have a very large store with attached warehouse just off the York ring road. OK, it's not Sweetwater sized, but still.......

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Keyboard don't look right. Maybe it is the perspective angle or the photo but the keys look short.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

When I bitch about small keys I'm talking like 86% of full size. That is enough to ruin key leverage.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Someone whose lips are sealed about just what he does know has said that the launch event isn't going to be at NAMM Musikmesse Russia. So hopefully my idle, wild, and wanton speculation about NAMM Musikmesse Russia (in three different forums, no less) hasn't misled a crowd of people to book flights to Russia for said event, only to discover that I was wrong!

By the way, the Gear4Music page seems to have been taken down now.

Michael Rideout

I remember the "leaks" before the Montage's official introduction...

http://www.motifator.com/index.php/forum/viewthread/476570/

Many of the links in that very long thread are dead, similar to what's happening with the MODX.

Initially there was a lot of conjecture about whether the Montage was the Motif XF's successor. For those of us wanting a truly self-contained workstation, it turned out not to be. I wonder if the MOXF will have a similar fate. Visually impaired users might find the apparently significant dependence on a touch screen to be a real impediment. Perhaps Yamaha will include voice guidance.

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

It seems that the Gear4Music link that I posted is still good. I may have been on the "US version" of their site by mistake and couldn't find search results for "MODX." I'm not sure what was going on, but the link is still working.

Actually, I just realized that it now says the MODX7 is currently not available for purchase, whereas before it said that it was and showed expected delivery dates. So maybe they just took the page down temporarily to change it?

Michael Rideout