Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#2947103 - 09/07/18 04:14 PM OT: your OTHER creative outlets
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
In real life, in my time here and on other boards, I’ve noticed that people who are creative in one area are more likely than others to be creative in multiple areas.

Besides music, I write sci-fi/fantasy (nothing submitted for publication) draw, paint, design jewelry (to be fabricated by professionals), and cook.

I was wondering what other creative outlets people here have.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

GP Island
#2947108 - 09/07/18 05:00 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
A good topic. Songwriter here ( 38 on SoundCloud)

creativity can move into other areas. I can cook, and its easy to improvise with ingredients. Also have a landscaped yard with +100 plants, trees, bushes etc that I groom.

On the business side, I had my own small business and created Sales/income and discovered possibilities.

There are other traits that compliment creativity.

#2947113 - 09/07/18 05:29 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: GregC]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Braeburn PA
Yea Great topic.
I unlike you two cannot really cook, I can heat stuff up, but cooking is something that I never really got into.

I used to be a camera man for network sports 1998 to 2006, specializing in aerial work from Blimps, helicopters, and planes. Won a group Emmy for the opening of the 2004 Olympics(all the aerial stuff was me). Quit doing that in 2006.

Painted with oils and acrylics doing landscapes and such thru out my teens and twenties, did some art shows. That is something I may start back into.

Wrote a few Pilots for TV comedies, never got picked up, they were not that good.

I wish in some ways I had done the whole artist thing and forgone having a career. But then again I like having money.

Lok

#2947125 - 09/07/18 06:50 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Lokair]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Various writing (no blog yet).
Visual arts.
Continuing music composing, w/&out lyrix.
Minor advertising slogans for clients.
Design much of my wardrobe.
Usetawas a pro chef but found that both too easy & frustrating (most ppl got no idea abt food but think they know).

#2947142 - 09/07/18 10:25 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I find it interesting how many musicians have close ties to cuisine (in particular) as well.

#2947151 - 09/08/18 04:20 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Sure,

I too, dabble in poetry and some songwriting;
photography back when the film I preferred was still available;

sketch a little, here and there. Mostly "cartoonish" type drawings. wink Now and then I might add a caption. wink
Whitefang

#2947177 - 09/08/18 08:36 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
The one art other than music that I did back in the day was stone masonry, and my favorite to build of all of them is river rock.

see examples in the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=images+of+river+rock+fireplaces&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=kXrPSEr-oQG0zM%253A%252CywE-K433St0zAM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzd0Tlcs97He4WCNJ85CEdWrVR4tLg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjL24T83avdAhUkNX0KHScVCfMQ9QEwBXoECAEQDg#imgrc=kXrPSEr-oQG0zM:
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2947178 - 09/08/18 08:37 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The one art other than music that I did back in the day was stone masonry, and my favorite to build of all of them is river rock.

see examples in the link below.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/515169644855514027/

My buddy the late Jimmy Byrd from Shawnee Oklahoma once said to me no problem Dave, it is just like stacking BB's cheers

#2947198 - 09/08/18 11:59 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It seems appropriate that a person IDing as a desert man would do work in a basic area (such as I presume masonry to be).

DBM, are any of those examples of yer work or just examples of masonry ?

#2947199 - 09/08/18 12:03 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
I find it interesting how many musicians have close ties to cuisine (in particular) as well.

The answer's simple, if not obvious.
What are the 2 ways young ppl can earn money ?
The easiest job entry category is "food service worker".
The biggest job category for most young ppl (at least in the late 20th C) was "musician/entertainer".
idk

#2947207 - 09/08/18 12:28 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

True, but most people in food service aren’t actually cooking the food.

#2947211 - 09/08/18 12:46 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

That be true but, uh, so what ?

#2947233 - 09/08/18 03:05 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
It seems appropriate that a person IDing as a desert man would do work in a basic area (such as I presume masonry to be).

DBM, are any of those examples of yer work or just examples of masonry ?

I do not have any pictures of my work. There were a few I would like to have however. One time when I was traveling I was in Florida, and I got a job in Hobe Sound, or Port St Lucy (somewhere in that area) And the guy wanted a stone mason. I took the job it was veneering a wall section outside the building, and inside the house a fireplace in White Brain Coral rock (rubble) with white mortar. The fireplace was in a Cathedral ceiling living room 16 feet high x 16 feet long with 4 foot returns to the Pecky Cyprus paneling. The hearth stone and the mantle stone were 4" thick in 3 four foot sections each all saw cut white coral. The hearth stone was in about 2 to 3 feet wide and four feet long sections and the mantle was one foot wide by 4 feet long saw cut and polished on all sides and ends. I think that was the nicest thing I ever did. I think I got 3 bucks a square foot labor to do that job, but alas I never took a picture of it.

#2947236 - 09/08/18 03:23 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Masonry is a true art, there is nothing basic about it, For instance I learned the art of recording in a few months time, My masonry skills took years to learn. And I met many a true artist in that work. And one more beauty of the trade is; you could find work in any town in the USA. No resume needed, no work history needed, and I was very good at it not the best mind you, but in the top 5% truthfully.

Another instance of not being "basic" the last years of my working life I was in management of a very large masonry company. I was in the office as an estimator and project manager of many multi million dollar projects, I had to also negotiate disputes over things not bid or left out of the initial plans, as well as contract reading and negotiations, so I was up against professional college educated people. I never once lost a dispute against those architects or general contractors, never once..... All of that simple compared to the skill level of actual on the job building masonry walls. Although it is not respected like a big professional business man is. Take my word for it for every mason in the trade who does a craftsman like job, that mason is more highly skilled than any fat cat professional in some big office. There is no comparison truthfully. Only those who know how, know how difficult and precise that trade is. (And thankfully I never have to pick up another trowel again) But it is a true art nothing basic about it...

#2947237 - 09/08/18 03:29 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: desertbluesman]
Delta Offline

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
I write a lot. No intentions of being published. I tried to write some Science Fiction when I was younger but never went anywhere with it. Writing to be published takes up your whole life. I didn't want that. I'm also a decent nature photographer.

#2947270 - 09/08/18 08:09 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Delta]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I do cooking too. For a while I was on a streak of making dishes from the Republic of Georgia. Ostri and Ajapsandali are favorites. Another is Koshari, Egypt`s national dish.
I have had writing published but most of it is commissioned and not especially creative. My songs are the creative area.
I do acting for film and TV when the chance is there-actually I`m going to be filming a commercial on the 15th, but I don`t know details yet.
Some of you know, that I`m part of a performance group where I just sing to backing tracks. Several members of that group are also filmmakers, we have made two so far. The first one, called `The Bloody Knockers`, is pretty terrible, but can be seen on youtube.
I`m not sure how much martial arts can be thought of as a `creative outlet`, but I do that too.

There`s my own humble venture into video making as well:

Edited by skipclone 1 (09/08/18 09:12 PM)

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2947279 - 09/08/18 10:48 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

That be true but, uh, so what ?

Well, if you’re not cooking at work, you’re not learning to cook at work.

#2947293 - 09/09/18 03:37 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

What are the 2 ways young ppl can earn money ?

laugh
Putting it that way, it reminds me of the reply by the "country bar" owner in THE BLUES BROTHERS when Elwood asks, "What kind of music do you play in this establishment?"

And she answers, "Oh, we play BOTH kinds...Country, AND Western!" wink

There ARE more than TWO ways young people can earn money. grin
Whitefang

#2947419 - 09/10/18 09:38 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Name 3

#2947438 - 09/10/18 12:12 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Depending on local regulations in age (and how young we’re talking):

Food service (restaurants, coffee bars, etc.)
Retail
Lawn care/landscaping
Hospitality
Grocery service
Farming (obviously regionally dependent)
Construction

#2947448 - 09/10/18 12:40 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
I have designed and built three wood Kayaks and a wood strip canoe. I like making simple wood working projects and doing house repairs or modifications that are not typical straight forward things that require figuring out how to do it. From another thread I was amazed at how many of the forum members have at least some experience with martial arts. Jim

Edited by jimmac (09/10/18 12:41 PM)

#2947569 - 09/11/18 06:23 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: jimmac]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Haha-yeah, my living space has more weapons than music gear.
I got a letter in my mailbox from DHS, concerning a shuriken-a real one-that I forgot was in my carryon bag during a U.S. visit.
Fortunately I made arrangements, I still have it.
Sometimes I envy the judo or wing chun guys. No spears, no swords, no battle axes. Nothing taller than yourself.

#2947595 - 09/11/18 08:07 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Martial arts have been part of my life since the age of 16 (circa 1966). I have given up my training in my old age, but still have a few tricks up my sleeve LOL! cool

#2947645 - 09/11/18 10:44 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
Sometimes I envy the judo or wing chun guys. No spears, no swords, no battle axes. Nothing taller than yourself.

These are the two Wing Chun weapons forms that I am aware of... cool

Edited by Larryz (09/11/18 10:45 AM)

#2947671 - 09/11/18 12:06 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Songwriting, art, short stories.

#2947675 - 09/11/18 12:23 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: DocPate]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Graphic design and fine art. I've done some record reviews and interviews for music mags. Helped friends write standup comedy routines. Work at a TV station as the Art Director and have done video and audio editing as part of that... along with some script writing.

#2947772 - 09/12/18 04:42 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Name 3

First, just HOW young are we talkin'?

Many employers still follow that 16 years old rule. So, for younger than that there's still the old standby's....

Lawn Service;

Car washing( not at a car wash, but I HAVE had kids about middle school age come to my front door and ask if they could wash my car! Seemed they were going door-to-door! shocked );
newspaper carrier

Above age 16, the field is pretty much open.
Whitefang

#2947785 - 09/12/18 06:08 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz

These are the two Wing Chun weapons forms that I am aware of... cool

Thanks Larryz
Yes I`m well aware of both. I have some dear friends in Wing Chun including Chien Yen Sifu. He is a student of Lo Man Kam, a family descendant of Sifu Yip Man, who had a student named Bruce.
It seems his website is temporarily down.
I think it varies among schools, but from what I`ve heard from Chien Sifu`s students and seen on videos, the weapons are there but not as much a part of regular training. I got into a friendly debate with a longtime student of Chien and veteran of other styles as well, about the practicality of empty hand on the street vis. the legal issues around weapons. Japan is often associated with the `bubble economy`-well it`s in a bubble in more ways than one. I can be totally drunk at 3 a.m. in the middle of Tokyo, fall asleep in a corner and know I`ll wake up the next morning with my body-and my wallet-in one piece. In most other places, screw legality. What counts in a fight is who gets to go home and play guitar.

#2947797 - 09/12/18 06:57 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Yeah Skip, I knew your were well versed in weapons and Wing Chun history. I really never studied the 2 weapons forms but I had seen them on Augustine Fong's video training tapes. I loved the history of the long pole building strength by the polling of boats down the river as seen in the intro in the video above. Augustine was a student under Ho Kam Ming a student of Yip Man at his school. Bruce Lee trained under Yip Man as well. Master Augustine Fong's school is located in Tucson Arizona. If I am remembering correctly, he explains that while these weapons can be used in self defense, they are more like tools for weight training, hand eye coordination, balance, building speed, etc. cool

Edited by Larryz (09/12/18 07:07 AM)

#2947844 - 09/12/18 10:10 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wing Chun ?
Don't you cats mean Wang Chung ? rolleyes facepalm grin

So if you're feeling low / Turn up your radio
But now the music's on, Baby,
Dance---get the feeling not the word
Everybody have fun
Deep in the world tonight / Just let yourself go
Rip it up / Cool down
Rip it up / Get out what's inside of you
Move it down to the ground
Everybody have fun

#2947891 - 09/12/18 12:52 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
MP Hall of Fame Member

grin

#2947914 - 09/12/18 02:17 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
There are 2 different ? here.
#1 Creative outlets: Surfing and fashion design, I just started my first year at Honolulu CC 2 year fashion design program.
#2 Jobs for young people: Babysitting and lifeguard.

Edited by surfergirl (09/12/18 02:52 PM)

#2948036 - 09/13/18 07:54 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah Skip, I knew your were well versed in weapons and Wing Chun history. I really never studied the 2 weapons forms but I had seen them on Augustine Fong's video training tapes. I loved the history of the long pole building strength by the polling of boats down the river as seen in the intro in the video above. Augustine was a student under Ho Kam Ming a student of Yip Man at his school. Bruce Lee trained under Yip Man as well. Master Augustine Fong's school is located in Tucson Arizona. If I am remembering correctly, he explains that while these weapons can be used in self defense, they are more like tools for weight training, hand eye coordination, balance, building speed, etc. cool

Ya, in China there are weapons like that-spears that are way too long and heavy for practical use but are great for the reasons you mention. I have had trial experiences with several traditional schools in Japan with similar versions of the spear and the wooden sword.
As far as my own little assembly, here`s the long
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZuMfxMmN9LoBn7wntMaoSPFFDbJ-8-LN/view?usp=sharing
And the short of it
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1g9h_FInnp7k2F1YVnyjqKshHmf_7NjCL/view?usp=sharing

#2948038 - 09/13/18 08:01 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Wing Chun ?
Don't you cats mean Wang Chung ? rolleyes facepalm grin

So if you're feeling low / Turn up your radio
But now the music's on, Baby,
Dance---get the feeling not the word
Everybody have fun
Deep in the world tonight / Just let yourself go
Rip it up / Cool down
Rip it up / Get out what's inside of you
Move it down to the ground
Everybody have fun

Yes, the Kung Fu was strong with this group.
Well for whatever it`s worth, I`m officially in for filming on Saturday. The pay has gone up by 50%, but it`s going to be an all-day shoot. I`m still pretty unclear on what it`s about, in fact I don`t even know the location yet. That`s supposed to come along tomorrow-one day before filming. Unbelievable.

#2948039 - 09/13/18 08:15 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: surfergirl]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
There are 2 different ? here.
#1 Creative outlets: Surfing and fashion design, I just started my first year at Honolulu CC 2 year fashion design program.
#2 Jobs for young people: Babysitting and lifeguard.

Good call on the jobs- missed those.

#2948211 - 09/14/18 03:19 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

shocked

Lifeguard?

Well, I'm guessing it never occured to me because one would have to qualify for that one.

Takes no special qualifications to mow a lawn or wash cars. wink
Whitefang

#2948245 - 09/14/18 07:00 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Cool weapons Skip! I recognize all of them but one. The 4th from the left in the long weapons. Looks like a spring of some kind on the end? cool

#2948331 - 09/14/18 01:14 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
Originally Posted By: whitefang
shocked

Lifeguard?

Well, I'm guessing it never occured to me because one would have to qualify for that one.

Takes no special qualifications to mow a lawn or wash cars. wink
Whitefang

You are right. The Red Cross a class, it is 25 hours and you have to be 15 to take it.

#2948704 - 09/16/18 09:17 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Cool weapons Skip! I recognize all of them but one. The 4th from the left in the long weapons. Looks like a spring of some kind on the end? cool

That is the training version of a Japanese Naginata. Many schools have club activities with them, it`s common for students to have them on the way home. They are long, but light and fast-the majority of students are women. I`ve had several classes with the head of the all-Japan federation, Kimura sensei. She got promoted to an even higher position a couple years ago.

#2948710 - 09/16/18 10:31 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks Skip! I went on YouTube and watched the women training with the Naginata. Very interesting... cool

#2948809 - 09/18/18 12:58 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I tried to reply earlier-error problems.
The rattan cane to the right of the Naginata
is neither Chinese nor Japanese. It`s a Sibat, from the Philipines.
There are also several items including a small but very diverse collection of knives, that are not in these photos. Some of them are in the U.S., it could be a while before I get them together.

#2948869 - 09/18/18 09:03 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I noticed a couple of pairs of kali type sticks from the Philippines to the right of the Broadsword. The Okinawan Sai and the Tonfa pairs too... cool

#2949130 - 09/19/18 12:16 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

wink

I prefer the American self-defense weapons----

Lead pipe;
ball peen hammer;
meat cleaver;
9mm Glock
.44 & .357 cal. Colt
laugh
Whitefang

#2949142 - 09/19/18 02:32 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

#2949229 - 09/20/18 03:53 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Just see a big, empty space there, Danny.

What was it supposed to be?
frown
Whitefang

#2949272 - 09/20/18 07:39 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

wink

I prefer the American self-defense weapons----

Lead pipe;
ball peen hammer;
meat cleaver;
9mm Glock
.44 & .357 cal. Colt
laugh
Whitefang

I`m not sure who can claim credit but, if it`s any consolation the Hong Kong Triads also think meat cleavers are a good idea grin

#2949275 - 09/20/18 07:46 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I noticed a couple of pairs of kali type sticks from the Philippines to the right of the Broadsword. The Okinawan Sai and the Tonfa pairs too... cool

The Philippine pantheon includes several items which I don`t have yet, including the latigo (bullwhip) and sarong. My Okinawan set is also incomplete. I especially like the eku (boat paddle).

#2949282 - 09/20/18 08:14 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
jimmac Offline

Loc: Jackson, Michigan
I agree with Fang but mine is ruger 44 Mag. Big noise big hole. Jim

#2949294 - 09/20/18 08:27 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

The Philippine pantheon includes several items which I don`t have yet, including the latigo (bullwhip) and sarong. My Okinawan set is also incomplete. I especially like the eku (boat paddle).

I was told the Sai was used as a wagon yoke and the tonfa was used for grinding rice. Both were put in play to defend against the Samurai sword in Okinawa...is there any truth to those stories? cool

#2949298 - 09/20/18 08:34 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Fang and Jim:

9mm, 38 and 357 pistol
223, 12 gauge and 30'06 rifle

I only carry pepper spray and a knife under 4" blade...mostly for animals.

cool

#2949366 - 09/20/18 04:47 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Just see a big, empty space there, Danny.

What was it supposed to be?
frown
Whitefang

Let me try re-posting:

If you can’t see that, it’s the gun shop scene from the first Terminator movie. grin

#2949406 - 09/21/18 02:16 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I was told the Sai was used as a wagon yoke and the tonfa was used for grinding rice. Both were put in play to defend against the Samurai sword in Okinawa...is there any truth to those stories? cool

In the case of tonfa it`s unlikely. Real shinken (tempered blades) would slice through them eventually. Sai are a better bet, they are similar to jutte-you may have seen them in some U.S. shops since they are nonlethal and make nice souvenirs. Jutte were designed specifically to counter naughty Samurai with swords. There are also tekko-originally horse stirrups, but work fine as brass knuckles. The palm side would be cutting it close-literally-with a sword. But the knuckle side has some clearance and they are used in pairs. All that said-one mistake with a real blade, and the opponent would go home incomplete-if at all. The molding and firing process makes them hard on the outside, but with a flexible core that can bounce back from impacts. It`s a formidable weapon, and training is extremely rigorous.
Tonfa were for threshing-that just means separating the rice from the plant. If the rice needed to be ground to make flour or something, it was on a grindstone-some flour is still made that way, ergo `stone ground` on the label.
............and I can`t wait for the Tokyo Music Instrument Fair this year! grin

Edited by skipclone 1 (09/21/18 04:37 AM)

#2949422 - 09/21/18 08:07 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: d]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Aside from music, I am also a partnered streamer on Mixer (I do live streams, a few times a week) and I also dabble in 3D modeling/rendering:

My Pics

#2949425 - 09/21/18 08:13 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: A String]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks Skip, on the Tonfa I was told they were held by the long end and used like a hammer as opposed to holding by the handle and using them like a pool que the way police are trained. One would block the sword at the handle and the sword would get stuck in the wood. The other would hit you over the head like a hammer. Threshing instead of grinding makes sense for that part of the story. It was interesting to me that neither the sai or the tonfa were originally designed as weapons but taken up in self defense. I'll have to check out those horse stirrups (Tekko) for the same reasons...much like the sticks, there is always one around be it a broom, shovel handle, feather duster, etc. or you can just pick up an ashtray back in the day when every one smoked LOL! Thanks again! cool

#2949430 - 09/21/18 09:12 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes, some of the tonfa kata use the handle to block and strike-now, kata is kata and making the best of a bad situation, that scenario could happen. Ideally, reply to wood with wood, steel with steel, projectiles with projectiles. Best is, be WAY better than your opponent.
Now as for the `right-what caliber are we talking` school of self-defense-depending on where you live, that ain`t happening. My interest in Filipino arts-well there`s a lot of cool stuff but, on an everyday level, I agree with a lot of teachers who say that, good luck walking around with a battle axe. It`s the knife training that is my real interest. In the UK and other areas where firearms are not an option including Japan, your best friend and worst enemy is a knife.
Speaking of flying discs-I`ve been a Frisbee fan since like forever. I have one of the old Master series, as well as a 141 gram one, back from when the weighted series was around. Never got into the team sport thing. It`s more calm and meditative for me.

Edited by skipclone 1 (09/21/18 09:16 AM)

#2949431 - 09/21/18 09:24 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 In California the only legal self defense weapon is a knife with a blade under 4"s and pepper spray. I carry both. It's hard to walk around with a sword or any long weapon LOL!

My uncle was a Sheriff in a small county in Arizona for several decades. One evening we were sitting in a small Mexican diner eating our burritos with several seedy characters giving us the eye as they all knew who I was sitting with. I said: "Bobby I notice you don't wear a side arm. Don't you worry about some of these guys since they know who you are?" He said no and reached into his front pocket and pulled out his mace and a black jack. "I just spray them in the face with this and lop them up side the head with that, and I've never lost a fight yet." I learned a valuable lesson that night LOL! cool

#2949504 - 09/21/18 08:31 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Maine
Painting and drawing.

#2949516 - 09/21/18 11:26 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: bbqbob]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nice technique!

#2949519 - 09/21/18 11:38 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+1 In California the only legal self defense weapon is a knife with a blade under 4"s and pepper spray. I carry both. It's hard to walk around with a sword or any long weapon LOL!

My uncle was a Sheriff in a small county in Arizona for several decades. One evening we were sitting in a small Mexican diner eating our burritos with several seedy characters giving us the eye as they all knew who I was sitting with. I said: "Bobby I notice you don't wear a side arm. Don't you worry about some of these guys since they know who you are?" He said no and reached into his front pocket and pulled out his mace and a black jack. "I just spray them in the face with this and lop them up side the head with that, and I've never lost a fight yet." I learned a valuable lesson that night LOL! cool

I think it`s ridiculous that, several of the items I own would get me in more trouble than a guy walking around with an AR-15. How do I spell stoopid-that`s how.

#2949520 - 09/22/18 12:08 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

From a photo shoot late last month. The photographer works with Getty images, but I signed a release so I have no idea what will happen with it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LxCcnRkhmTpgl-7rmFCrM_-g6hzqBfs_/view?usp=sharing

#2949529 - 09/22/18 04:13 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

YOU paint those pics BBQ?

No NUMBERS involved? wink

Really, nice work, man!
Whitefang

#2949548 - 09/22/18 07:41 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+2 BBQ, Nice work! cool

@ Skip, Nice photo shoot! cool

It's funny that they make stupid laws based upon the looks of a weapon here in California. The switchblade and the balisong are no more deadly than any other knife, but they scare people when they are flicked open! +1 an illegal knife (felony) will get you in more trouble than a concealed firearm (misdemeanor). thu

Edited by Larryz (09/22/18 07:45 AM)

#2949564 - 09/22/18 09:43 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
From a photo shoot late last month. The photographer works with Getty images, but I signed a release so I have no idea what will happen with it.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LxCcnRkhmTpgl-7rmFCrM_-g6hzqBfs_/view?usp=sharing

Great shot, Skip. There's your album cover right there. +1!

#2949566 - 09/22/18 10:00 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
@bbqbob, DUDE! That is some amazing work! I'm SUPER picky with my art preferences and I 100% love your stuff!
My Pics

#2949576 - 09/22/18 11:34 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

+2 BBQ, Nice work! cool

@ Skip, Nice photo shoot! cool

It's funny that they make stupid laws based upon the looks of a weapon here in California. The switchblade and the balisong are no more deadly than any other knife, but they scare people when they are flicked open! +1 an illegal knife (felony) will get you in more trouble than a concealed firearm (misdemeanor). thu

Ya, I have a balisong that I bought over the counter in Cebu. So far I still have it but, it`s a cat and mouse game.
A few years ago a guy went crackers and stabbed people in Akihabara, the electronics district in Tokyo. One of the victims had been a student at a school where I taught English. So what does the government do-based on that, they banned double edged knives. Single edges-no problem. Oh darn, well there goes another weekend. I was really planning on cracking up and cutting a bunch of people with both edges. Ya right...

Really fine brushwork BBQ!

#2949595 - 09/22/18 05:01 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Yeah, double edge anything is a big no no in California! cool

#2949604 - 09/22/18 07:57 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
MP Hall of Fame Member

How’d I miss that photo? Lookin’ good in the neighborhood!

Edited by Dannyalcatraz (09/22/18 07:58 PM)

#2949613 - 09/22/18 10:00 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks indeed-we talked about doing a separate shoot for fun but, the photographer`s busy, I don`t know if it will happen.

#2949637 - 09/23/18 07:44 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

YOU paint those pics BBQ?

No NUMBERS involved? wink

Really, nice work, man!
Whitefang

Thanks! No numbers involved!

#2949638 - 09/23/18 07:45 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

+2 BBQ, Nice work! cool

Thanks!

#2949639 - 09/23/18 07:47 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: A String]
bbqbob Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: A String
@bbqbob, DUDE! That is some amazing work! I'm SUPER picky with my art preferences and I 100% love your stuff!

Thanks! BFA degree. Sell some work but not enough to make a living. Kind of like musicians!

#2949651 - 09/23/18 09:47 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, double edge anything is a big no no in California! cool

WTF is that-fight senselessness with senselessness I suppose...

#2949658 - 09/23/18 10:54 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 It is totally senseless Skip...You could have a small dirk or dagger with less than a 4" blade (especially if it's double edged) and that would be a felony violation. If a knife is dull on one side you're good to go. So the knife makers make the dull side very thin, if you catch by drift. Nunchaku and/or Shuriken are felony violations too. There are some exceptions for licensed martial arts school travel. It's just stupid California laws that we have to put up with... cool

#2949712 - 09/23/18 10:28 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ya, the guy at JFK asked if I taught martial arts when he found a shuriken-a real one-in my carryon bag. I said, I have taught before. Next time I`ll just say yes.

#2949715 - 09/23/18 10:53 PM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Good answer...or you could say: "yes, my dojo is in Japan and I do martial arts demonstrations at seminars here in the states each year." cool

#2949726 - 09/24/18 03:35 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Good answer...or you could say: "yes, my dojo is in Japan and I do martial arts demonstrations at seminars here in the states each year." cool

laugh
Works for me too!

Anyway, sure beats hiding them up the tuchas! wink
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (09/24/18 03:36 AM)

#2949744 - 09/24/18 06:51 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

You would probably leave a blood trail if you tried to hide a shuriken up the tuchas, and they would catch you at the gate LOL! cool

#2949748 - 09/24/18 07:43 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

....I`ll leave the time of the month jokes out of this

#2949935 - 09/25/18 04:11 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

You would probably leave a blood trail if you tried to hide a shuriken up the tuchas, and they would catch you at the gate LOL! cool

laugh

Just blame the bleeding on CROHN'S and nobody would be willing to do a search! wink
Whitefang

#2950011 - 09/25/18 11:18 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Or, you could say you brought it as a gift for him, because you know what a difficult job he/she/it has.

Yeah it's obviously bull, but no worse than some... rimshot

#2950111 - 09/26/18 01:49 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: picker]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: picker
Or, you could say you brought it as a gift for him, because you know what a difficult job he/she/it has.

Yeah it's obviously bull, but no worse than some... rimshot

Um...I think the goal would be to hang on to it.
At $50 a pop, that much appreciation would make MY job more difficult.

#2950123 - 09/26/18 04:36 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

But on the more serious side, wouldn't you be able to ship it on ahead? Like FED EX or UPS? (to someone there you trust?),

Or, was that already mentioned..... eek
Whitefang

#2950150 - 09/26/18 07:23 AM Re: OT: your OTHER creative outlets [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In America those services are limited in what they handle, especially when it comes to alcohol.
In any case, the guys at JFK and subsequent checkpoints kept their cool and let me through. I`m not sure if that would happen now. Sending some things ahead could be helpful-if the inspectors can keep their cool too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose