Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 21 of 29 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 29 >
Topic Options
#2952579 - 10/11/18 12:15 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
Toano88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
It all depends what your specific needs are and if you like sounds and playability. The MODX is a welcome step up from the the previous MOXF. And not an astronomical difference in price. Had it been out when I bought my FA-08, I would have had to do some serious testing and research. From what little I have read, it looks like I wouldn't have the FA-08. Though I don't have many complaints beyond the fact it scratches easy!

As far as the SP6, I still would have bought it. It is a stage piano and fills that niche quite admirably. Comparing it to a workstation does it an injustice. I bought it because that is what I wanted, a capable stage piano.

KC Island
#2952582 - 10/11/18 12:17 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Can I add, shallowly. . . The MODX is a bit better looking from the back? The SP6 has all that funky stuff goin' on.

#2952593 - 10/11/18 01:04 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Bobby Simons]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Okay...the SP6 is not a workstation and neither is the MODX.

It is not a 50% price difference, more like a 25-30% price difference.
Sp6 is really just a stage piano, a lot of the other sounds leave a lot to be desired, some are okay...most are ordinary. Basses and guitars are, well, pathetic although DW has a done some nice "silk purse from a sows ear" work on some of the basses.

Although it IS all rather subjective wink I reckon the organs on the MODX match those on the SP6. Others will disagree, but I don't use organ much anyway.

Guitars and basses are simply NO comparison. The MODX wins hands-down. I reckon the guitar base samples on the Kurz are exactly the same as the old PC1SE I had years ago. All that has been done is some tweaking of efx, but the core samples are, to me, sounding the same and just so dated now.

They way Kurzweil do the whole structure of sound/multi organisation is so unintuitive, well for me anyway. Everything is based around the sound. Want to have a multipart setup, and just want to tweak an ins effect for that ONE setup? well you need to create a whole new patch JUST to save one minor efx tweak, oh and a new Ins Efx patch as well!...the MODX OTOH allows tweaks in the "multi" setup itself and requires no saving altered efx and other dat to new sounds or efx slots....no wonder there are soooo many on the SP6, you need them!!

The keybeds are on a par. With the MODX perhaps slightly, ever so slightly a bit slower. Bounce, key travel and key striking areas seem to be about the same. Mechanical noise level is about the same.

The MODX GHS 8 is definitely different imo to the MOXF 8, which I got rid because of its loud mechanical noise (read same as PX5-s)

There is nothing really from Yamaha, but is sure feels different (better).

MODX has the LIVE SET feature and all those folks used to this on the Korgs will appreciate juts how useful this is. The MODX also seems to follow more usual MIDI connectivity.

And as written, there is practically NO editing on board the SP6, and the PC editor provided is flaky at best. It really is a cobbled together version of the PC3 editor (of Forte?) and even that is cobbled together. No real support from Soundtower and no solid manuals.

So for about 30% more in $'s you are getting a LOT more in value.

Look, the SP6 is a nice 'board if all you want is a light stage piano. And were I only in a bands I probs would have made do with it, but for solo work it was simply too tough for this old head!

Simply put on a value for money 0-10? SP6 gets a 6.5 and the MODX gets an 8.5.

As always the views expressed here are not necessarily those of this channel grin

#2952611 - 10/11/18 02:09 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: miden]
Fleer Offline

Loc: Boston/Cambridge
Price difference between Kurz SP6 and Yam MODX8 is more than 30%, Im afraid.

#2952612 - 10/11/18 02:17 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: miden]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: miden

88 to 88, $1300 to $1900 s 46% more. But if you can get by with the 76, sure, the difference reduces, since there's no 76-ky SP6.

II reckon the organs on the MODX match those on the SP6. Others will disagree, but I don't use organ much anyway.

Guitars and basses are simply NO comparison.

And then there are people like me whose priorities are the reverse of those. I use organ a lot and like having 9-drawbar control... I do play LH bass on some gigs but am not fussy about that sound ... I almost never play a guitar sound, I leave that to the guitarist.

They way Kurzweil do the whole structure of sound/multi organisation is so unintuitive, well for me anyway. Everything is based around the sound. Want to have a multipart setup, and just want to tweak an ins effect for that ONE setup? well you need to create a whole new patch JUST to save one minor efx tweak, oh and a new Ins Efx patch as well!...the MODX OTOH allows tweaks in the "multi" setup itself

It's not that the MODX "allows" you to save tweak sounds right in the "multi" -- it requires you to do so, there's no other place to save them! But yes, you touch on a basic philosophical difference among many keyboards. Some only let you save your tweaked sound as separate individual programs, some only let you save tweaked sounds within the multi-sound setups... and there is the related consequence that changing an individual Program in the first case can change that sound in every combination you've ever used that sound in. Sometimes that's what you want, sometimes it's not. (This difference also affects the ease of re-using a sound you like, though MODX seems to address that nicely even though they use the method that usually makes that trickier.)

#2952614 - 10/11/18 02:20 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: miden]
Swithin Offline

Loc: Romania

The keybeds are on a par. With the MODX perhaps slightly, ever so slightly a bit slower. Bounce, key travel and key striking areas seem to be about the same. Mechanical noise level is about the same.

The MODX GHS 8 is definitely different imo to the MOXF 8, which I got rid because of its loud mechanical noise (read same as PX5-s)

And what's the keybed like compared to the SL88 Studio?

#2952615 - 10/11/18 02:21 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Latest prices in Oz MODX 8 2399 SP6 $1839 difference $560...the 30% was just me doing my poor math skills. Didn't realise folks were going to get so pedantic. I did say "more like" smile

And actually that IS 30% btw...1839 plus 30% = 2390

#2952617 - 10/11/18 02:23 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Swithin]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Swithin

And what's the keybed like compared to the SL88 Studio?

SL88 studio is better, although not by a lot. So the SL88 Stage, I imagine would be better again.

#2952618 - 10/11/18 02:25 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
miden Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
... ... I almost never play a guitar sound, I leave that to the guitarist....

That's a tad difficult when playing solo wink

#2952622 - 10/11/18 02:29 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: miden]
Swithin Offline

Loc: Romania

SL88 studio is better, although not by a lot.

Thank you for such a quick response!

#2952623 - 10/11/18 02:31 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: miden]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Latest prices in Oz

Ah. Bigger differential in the U.S.

... ... I almost never play a guitar sound, I leave that to the guitarist....

That's a tad difficult when playing solo wink

Yup, gets back to folks having different needs. Personally, even in my solo work, I don't use guitar sounds.

#2952625 - 10/11/18 02:31 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: miden]
Fleer Offline

Latest prices in Oz MODX 8 2399 SP6 $1839 difference $560...the 30% was just me doing my poor math skills. Didn't realise folks were going to get so pedantic. I did say "more like" smile

And actually that IS 30% btw...1839 plus 30% = 2390

Just because it happened to you, does not make it interesting wink

#2952626 - 10/11/18 02:33 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Fleer]
Fleer Offline

Prices down under seem to deviate indeed.
Strangest I find is the price difference between MODX7 and MODX8 in US/OZ compared to EU/UK.

#2952627 - 10/11/18 02:37 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: miden]
lsj Offline

just purchased a MODX6. I know you can't post the company where I purchased it from but it was a sweet, sweet(hint)deal. best deal on the web. I listened to the demos of organimation for the Montage and was really impressed. I am hoping that organimation sells the same product for the MODX6. has anyone purchased this library....Larry

#2952630 - 10/11/18 02:46 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: lsj]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Originally Posted By: lsj
just purchased a MODX6. I know you can't post the company where I purchased it from but it was a sweet, sweet(hint)deal. best deal on the web. I listened to the demos of organimation for the Montage and was really impressed. I am hoping that organimation sells the same product for the MODX6. has anyone purchased this library....Larry

It is stated that MODX can load Montage files. I would ask them but I expect you should be able to load the Montage library:
MODX Compatibility

#2952631 - 10/11/18 02:55 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
Lady Gaia Offline

Loc: Seattle
88 to 88, $1300 to $1900 s 46% more. But if you can get by with the 76, sure, the difference reduces, since there's no 76-ky SP6.

The 76 key MODX is synth weighted, isnt it? Thats likely a deal-breaker for someone who finds the SP6 attractive as a point of comparison. I thought the MODX8 action was surprisingly decent, but I havent heard anything as kind regarding the lighter weight actions of the 6 and 7. Still, theyre great sounding synths at their aggressive price points, no question.

#2952633 - 10/11/18 02:57 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: lsj]
Adan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco

That's surprising. Usually a brand new keyboard will have the same street price everywhere, only later will there be deals to find by shopping around.

roccoromanucci.com

#2952634 - 10/11/18 03:01 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Lady Gaia]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Lady Gaia
[The 76 key MODX is synth weighted, isnt it?

yes... in the U.S. that would be the trade-off for getting the price that close. Right, not necessarily the same customer.

#2952636 - 10/11/18 03:06 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Adan]
lsj Offline

well I did it, I always research before I buy

#2952642 - 10/11/18 04:32 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
Fleer Offline

II reckon the organs on the MODX match those on the SP6. Others will disagree, but I don't use organ much anyway.

Guitars and basses are simply NO comparison.

And then there are people like me whose priorities are the reverse of those. I use organ a lot and like having 9-drawbar control... I do play LH bass on some gigs but am not fussy about that sound ... I almost never play a guitar sound, I leave that to the guitarist.

They way Kurzweil do the whole structure of sound/multi organisation is so unintuitive, well for me anyway. Everything is based around the sound. Want to have a multipart setup, and just want to tweak an ins effect for that ONE setup? well you need to create a whole new patch JUST to save one minor efx tweak, oh and a new Ins Efx patch as well!...the MODX OTOH allows tweaks in the "multi" setup itself

It's not that the MODX "allows" you to save tweak sounds right in the "multi" -- it requires you to do so, there's no other place to save them! But yes, you touch on a basic philosophical difference among many keyboards. Some only let you save your tweaked sound as separate individual programs, some only let you save tweaked sounds within the multi-sound setups... and there is the related consequence that changing an individual Program in the first case can change that sound in every combination you've ever used that sound in. Sometimes that's what you want, sometimes it's not. (This difference also affects the ease of re-using a sound you like, though MODX seems to address that nicely even though they use the method that usually makes that trickier.)

Just taking time to tell you how much I appreciate your posts, here and in other forums, AnotherScott. Always insightful, always interesting.

#2952650 - 10/11/18 06:04 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
It's a sticky. Called "READ BEFORE POSTING: Forum Policies". snax

We're in the era of iTunes License Agreements. Nobody reads anything they're told to read anymore.[/quote]

I call your attention to my Don Quixote avatar as my response to this. twothumbs

#2952654 - 10/11/18 06:58 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Sven Golly]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
It's a sticky. Called "READ BEFORE POSTING: Forum Policies". snax

We're in the era of iTunes License Agreements. Nobody reads anything they're told to read anymore.

I call your attention to my Don Quixote avatar as my response to this. twothumbs
[/quote]

Reading and history is hard work !

We must have a little click box to check for those ' annoying ' agreements/acknowledgements
wink

#2952657 - 10/11/18 08:53 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: GregC]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Well I succumbed to GAS.

I ordered a MODX 6 Be here Monday

#2952658 - 10/11/18 09:33 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: lsj]
ShadowMan Offline

I listened to the demos of organimation for the Montage and was really impressed. I am hoping that organimation sells the same product for the MODX6. has anyone purchased this library....Larry

If the Montage version is as good as the Organimation for MOXF, you should be very happy. I use it all the time - and will definitely purchase it again when I upgrade to an MODX 7...

#2952660 - 10/11/18 10:00 PM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: ShadowMan]
Fleer Offline

#2952668 - 10/12/18 12:17 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Fleer]
Six-string-man Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: U.K.
Two questions, if anyone is in the know.

First, is the drums tempo adjustable on the fly while playing?

Second, has anyone bought the official soft case for the MODX, and if so, is it good gear, or just a piece of tat?

Thanks in advance.

#2952671 - 10/12/18 01:35 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Six-string-man]
Randelph Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Thanks for the various comparisons to the SP6. Have to admit, Im big on bang for the buck, theres been very few times I had the bank to afford 3-4,000 dollar boards, so most of the time Im looking at the under $1,000 ones, and only entertain the under $2,000 boards when it seems irresistible. The MODX7 or 8 is starting to look that way.

Id normally never consider buying another Yamaha higher end board, had a really miserable, frustrating time with the XS7. But it sounds like this board is more approachable and user friendly than past Yamaha workstations? Please correct me if Im wrong! I do realize thats a very big generalization- there were actually quite a few things on the XS7 that were quick and intuitive, a lot of direct button presses usually. But get below that surface and it was obvious that engineers, not musicians, designed most of the work flow, and after awhile I hated it.

At less than half the price, the Numa Compact 2x is in a different class than the MODX8, But its the only other bang for the buck board that Id consider getting at this point. The NC2x even has some advantages over the MODX.

NC2x Pros:
The 20w speakers are a big plus in my book. With my Casio MZ-X500, Ive realized that balancing the onboard stereo speakers with my K8.2 speaker placed right next to the keyboard end cap, that for the first time Ive got a fully immersive and bass responsive sound that is very satisfying for me, and now I almost never get people asking me to turn down; so I anticipate that kind of personal monitoring capability with this board. A bit like a 2.1 system
The weight is about half of the MODX8, of course its only semi-weighted
It has aftertouch!
Its very shallow, 9 vs 13
Drawbars! Which can double as oft used synth parameters
Limited options, but this makes for simplicity

The cons seem pretty significant though:
No user samples can be loaded, and your only dealing with 1 GB / 88 sounds to begin with
Spring returning mod stick is a non-starter, what are they thinking?
Tiny little display
No audio in. Does audio over USB satisfy the ability to use an iPad as a sound source? And if it does, how would i control the volume? With my Casio MZ-X500 I go from the Korg Plugkey to the keyboard audio in. The Plugkey has a little volume knob that i use ALOT, pretty indispensable.

Randy
Blue Encore 300, EV ND76

#2952682 - 10/12/18 05:10 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: Randelph]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Fleer
Just taking time to tell you how much I appreciate your posts, here and in other forums, AnotherScott. Always insightful, always interesting.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: ShadowMan
If the Montage version is as good as the Organimation for MOXF, you should be very happy. I use it all the time - and will definitely purchase it again when I upgrade to an MODX 7...

When you migrate your data from your MOXF to MODX, all your third party libraries should come along too. And at least as long as you're not keeping the library in both units, the license should permit that.

Originally Posted By: Randelph
NC2x Pros:
The 20w speakers are a big plus in my book. With my Casio MZ-X500

The NC2 speakers are not nearly as beefy as the MZ-X500. Better than none, but I could do a little cocktail hour thing with the MZ speakers, not with the NC2.
Another pro, though, is 88 keys.

Originally Posted By: Randelph
The cons seem pretty significant though:
Spring returning mod stick is a non-starter, what are they thinking?

One of the sticks does not spring return on one axis, hopefully that's the one that does what you want for mod!

Other performance-oriented cons that come to mind that I'd add to your list...
... splits/layers limited to two sounds total (vs. 8)
... MIDI zones likewise limited to two (vs. 8)
... split sounds cannot be panned to different outs (left/right), preventing you from doing splits where just your organ sound goes out to a Vent or just your bass sound goes out to a bass amp
... no seamless transitions when switching among user presets
... almost no direct access to sounds, you'll have to scroll (though you could use MIDI Program Change to change sounds externally)
... and while you mention that "you're only dealing with 1 GB / 88 sounds to begin with" I'd also note that most of the sounds it has are not of Yamaha calibre

#2952685 - 10/12/18 05:32 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: AnotherScott]
MIDI2XS Offline

The most recent issue of the Music Production Guide from Easy Sounds is available:
http://www.easysounds.eu/MusicProductionGuide_2018_05_EN.pdf

Montage/MODX, SampleRobot content.

#2952729 - 10/12/18 10:26 AM Re: Yamaha MODX [Re: MIDI2XS]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Quote:
Originally Posted By: ShadowMan

It is a significant improvement over the internal organ patches I tried out yesterday in the store, judging by this demo. It just might move me into the 'buy' column. Definitely worth the 50 bucks:

Page 21 of 29 < 1 2 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 28 29 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner