Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2949992 - 09/25/18 09:57 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: d
Every sec of this vid tells us sumpin abt what

Salient moments: Lennon looking around the room while working his way through the track
Ringo STARR! doing his job
Roll on, Bros & Sis, roll on

And George apparently sitting this take out.

GP Island
#2950008 - 09/25/18 11:03 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Not this one however

that's a great one for nostalgia but the followingis nuch more informative abt the mechanics of music promotion, TV appearances & the roles the band members slipped into when interacting

#2950015 - 09/25/18 11:48 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: d]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

As we continue kicking the corpus of The Beatles around, let me posit a new question: how many times did they record the same song ?
& for the adventurous among us lemme point out it's more than may be obvious.
Not only do we have items such as this

but try this...Play the relatively easily deciphered "Get Back" but add the lyrics from "Back In The USSR".
Voila..."Get Back In The USSR" grin

& don't let this one upset yer dreams tonight

#2950090 - 09/25/18 08:45 PM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: d]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I've been listening to "Double Fantasy" and "Milk & Honey" by John and Yoko a bit the past couple of days, for the first time beyond the singles, really... and it was reading interviews with Earl Slick about the sessions that got me doing that...

I was familiar with Yoko's songs "Kiss Kiss Kiss" and "I'm Moving On" and liked them... I like her songs on these records... I honestly enjoy them as much as John's, though as a punk and new wave kid I'm primed to do that... and while she was tapping into emerging new wave and Asian pop sounds of that time and before, she certainly inspired a lot of stuff in those realms over the past couple of decades... actually, the first time I played the first B-52's record my mom asked if it was Yoko shrieking along on "Rock Lobster."

Anyway... there's a stripped down version of the "Double Fantasy" record done for its anniversary a few years ago, with the production done a little more natural and rougher (no double-tracked vocals, less "lush" soundstages) that I prefer... it even makes me like songs like "Woman" in their stripped down state that were too corny for me as a kid who'd heard The Ramones and The Sex Pistols...

Then again, Lennon joked that this was his "middle-aged man with kids" record, so maybe I had to grow into some of it...

"Watching The Wheels" always killed me... it's the song I remember being played on TV with a photo montage after they announced his death...

#2950126 - 09/26/18 04:43 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: p90jr]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
I might look that up.... for ex. :

I wasn't all that impressed with "Double Fantasy", as I saw it as more another "Lennon Loves Reverb" type thing. But then too---
I wasn't all that thrilled with LET IT BE until they put out the "Naked" version, stripped of all that PHIL SPECTOR over production. wink
Whitefang

#2950167 - 09/26/18 09:56 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: whitefang
I wasn't all that thrilled with LET IT BE until they put out the "Naked" version, stripped of all that PHIL SPECTOR over production. wink
Whitefang

The really good version of Let It Be was the heavily bootlegged collection of rough mixes, done before the tapes went to Spector. I got the Naked CD & recall thinking it wasn't the original rough mixes at all. I listened to Naked exactly once. Or you can stream the audio off the movie. That's all as raw as they played it.

#2950171 - 09/26/18 10:34 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: p90jr]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr
I've been listening to "Double Fantasy" and "Milk & Honey" by John and Yoko a bit the past couple of days, for the first time beyond the singles, really... and it was reading interviews with Earl Slick about the sessions that got me doing that...

Were those in Ken Sharp's 2K10 book STARTING OVER : THE MAKING OF JL'S & YO'S DOUBLE FANTASY ? If not y' might wanna chk that out.
IIRC, it details the sessions in reasonably well, incl info from Jack Douglas & the band

I was familiar with Yoko's songs "Kiss Kiss Kiss" and "I'm Moving On" and liked them... I like her songs on these records... I honestly enjoy them as much as John's, though as a punk and new wave kid I'm primed to do that... and while she was tapping into emerging new wave and Asian pop sounds of that time and before, she certainly inspired a lot of stuff in those realms over the past couple of decades... actually, the first time I played the first B-52's record my mom asked if it was Yoko shrieking along on "Rock Lobster."

JL was on record as citing the B52's as inciting his interest in re-entering the commercial music mkt, specifically as a place for YO's work.
Other-handedly, there's a reasonable case that JL invented punk rock w/ his trax such as Cold Turkey.

Anyway... there's a stripped down version of the "Double Fantasy" record done for its anniversary a few years ago, with the production done a little more natural and rougher (no double-tracked vocals, less "lush" soundstages) that I prefer... it even makes me like songs like "Woman" in their stripped down state that were too corny for me as a kid who'd heard The Ramones and The Sex Pistols...
Then again, Lennon joked that this was his "middle-aged man with kids" record, so maybe I had to grow into some of it...
"Watching The Wheels" always killed me... it's the song I remember being played on TV with a photo montage after they announced his death...

Personally I think Lennon's best work from that time was held for later. Note that's Tony Levin bassing on the track & in the vid, not a member of CTrick.
Them NY cats did well but I think Rick Nielson,etc, played w/ more, uh, verve.

Alternate vid edit feat some JL playing that wack Sardonyx gtr (chosen for it's name ???)
[ https://www.guitarplayer.com/gear/john-lennons-weirdest-guitar-the-sardonyx ]

Bonus: Trickster's get simultaneously rock rough & arty on a classic JL track.

#2951666 - 10/05/18 10:14 PM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: d]
Jazz+ Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

The Emperor's New Clothes comes to mind.

#2951723 - 10/06/18 09:35 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: Jazz+]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Some ppl get set in opinions & nothing may shake them.
John Zorn's never really been a groundbreaking artist, IMO.
Here's YO & Ornette Coleman's band from Feb 1968 when there was nothing to be gained by association w/John Lennon's then-not established gal pal.
Kinda sounds like what Miles Davis would be doing a few years hence, if you ask me.
That doesn't mean ya gotta like it but it undercuts the idea that they weren't legitimately doing that for it's inherent sound.

Here's something completely different: an old English folk melody.
Again it may not appeal to all but you can't fault her pitch.

#2951752 - 10/06/18 01:54 PM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: d]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Charlie Haden is my ultimate hero on upright bass, so I was pleasantly surprised when I finally bought Yoko's POB record a number of years after it came out and saw him and Ornette's band backing her on one tune.

I'm not much into that sort of thing anymore, but from the early 70's through to the mid 80's at least, I was a huge participant in the avant garde scene. Ironically, people now criticize my work of the past 25 to 30 years as being "too melodic". So maybe I swung too far back the other way. :-)

#2952305 - 10/10/18 04:42 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: Mark Schmieder]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

MY "upright hero" is EBERHARD WEBER, but Charlie's great too.

Anyway.....

I was a bit undecided whether to announce JOHN LENNON'S posthumous 78th birthday yesterday in this thread or the "Posthumous birthdays" thread of mine and didn't get it in either. frown

Whitefang

#2952306 - 10/10/18 05:12 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: whitefang]
Mogut Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Michigan
Originally Posted By: whitefang
MY "upright hero" is EBERHARD WEBER, but Charlie's great too.

Anyway.....

I was a bit undecided whether to announce JOHN LENNON'S posthumous 78th birthday yesterday in this thread or the "Posthumous birthdays" thread of mine and didn't get it in either. frown

Whitefang

oh yeah. same day as mine !

#2952373 - 10/10/18 11:16 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: Mogut]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
You're posthumous already? Or was that meant to be post-humerous?

I'm a big fan of hummus myself.

#2952483 - 10/11/18 04:33 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: Mark Schmieder]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

sick
Hummus?

Best tile grout EVER! laugh
Whitefang

#2952513 - 10/11/18 08:29 AM Re: The Beatles and Yoko Ono [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member