Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Stacking 2 keyboards on a Rhodes stage. #2945523 08/28/18 08:23 PM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
So, I made a huge mistake. A few months ago, I rented a studio/recording space which allowed me to set up most of the various keyboards I've accumulated over the years, including my Rhodes Mk 1 Stage, and use them in rehearsal with my band. We have a fairly high profile gig coming up, and everybody in the band is encouraging me to bring the Rhodes instead of my usual 88-key controller, and have agreed to help me pack and load it.

My normal setup also includes a Hammond XK-1c and a Novation SL 61, which I have on a 3-tier stand. I haven't found a good way to stack both board on the Rhodes, the Hammond can sit directly on the Rhodes, but if I put the SL on an x-stand, it's too far back. I've seen the Rhodes Straddler from Ken Rich, and may pick up a set, but does anyone make a 2-tier version? Any other ideas?

It's a good thing my Hammond console isn't working yet, I guess.

Last edited by New&Improv; 08/28/18 08:24 PM.

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow
KC Island
Re: Stacking 2 keyboards on a Rhodes stage. [Re: New&Improv] #2945533 08/28/18 09:14 PM
Sven Golly Offline
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
MPN Advisory Board
10k Club
A DJ stand that would slide under the Hammond and support the Novation above:

Lots of options out there like this.

"Do you see over yonder, friend Sancho, thirty or forty hulking giants? I intend to do battle with them and slay them."
Re: Stacking 2 keyboards on a Rhodes stage. [Re: New&Improv] #2945534 08/28/18 09:21 PM
drawback Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: New&Improv
So, I made a huge mistake. A few months ago, I rented a studio/recording space which allowed me to set up most of the various keyboards I've accumulated over the years, including my Rhodes Mk 1 Stage, and use them in rehearsal with my band. We have a fairly high profile gig coming up, and everybody in the band is encouraging me to bring the Rhodes instead of my usual 88-key controller, and have agreed to help me pack and load it.

My normal setup also includes a Hammond XK-1c and a Novation SL 61, which I have on a 3-tier stand. I haven't found a good way to stack both board on the Rhodes, the Hammond can sit directly on the Rhodes, but if I put the SL on an x-stand, it's too far back. I've seen the Rhodes Straddler from Ken Rich, and may pick up a set, but does anyone make a 2-tier version? Any other ideas?

It's a good thing my Hammond console isn't working yet, I guess.

You're the keyboard player. So tell them why it doesn't work for you. Then offer to take your usual boards, position the Mk 1 on a riser at right angle to your three-tiered setup (I assume you stand) and play it when you're able.

Rod
Arturia Keylab MKii 88 | Mojo61 A/B | iConnectAudio4+ > iOS / MacOS
VI Ravenscroft | Neo-Soul Studio | Acoustic Samples V-Tines | iSymphonic | Pure Synth Platinum | iFretless Bass
Re: Stacking 2 keyboards on a Rhodes stage. [Re: drawback] #2945540 08/28/18 10:15 PM
New&Improv Offline OP
MP Hall of Fame Member
OP Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
A DJ stand that would slide under the Hammond and support the Novation above:

Lots of options out there like this.

I'd looked at DJ stands, but most seemed to narrow to support the keyboard. The one you posted looks like you could replace the center rods with something longer, an it'd work great. I have about a month before the gig, so I'd have time to order and modify something.

Originally Posted By: drawback

You're the keyboard player. So tell them why it doesn't work for you. Then offer to take your usual boards, position the Mk 1 on a riser at right angle to your three-tiered setup (I assume you stand) and play it when you're able.

In rehearsal, that's how I have it set up, with the Rhodes off to my right. Thing is, about 90% of what I do on the 88 is Rhodes sounds, and the rest I could re-program to cover on the SL, so I don't really need the controller if I have the Rhodes on the gig.

Turn up the speaker
Hop, flop, squawk
It's a keeper
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow
Re: Stacking 2 keyboards on a Rhodes stage. [Re: New&Improv] #2945568 08/29/18 04:16 AM
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I would either set the SL up on the side in an L, or I would only bring the Rhodes and Hammond and tell them that if they want the special Rhodes sauce, they're gonna get a lot of it.

Eric
Website
Rhodes Mk 1 Stage 73; Hammond M3; Kurzweil SP-6; Roland FP-4, Juno-106; Nord E3-73; Studiologic Sledge; DSI Mopho KB; Moog Minitaur; Stuff
Re: Stacking 2 keyboards on a Rhodes stage. [Re: MAJUSCULE] #2945635 08/29/18 01:18 PM
S
sagetunes Offline
S
I got lucky a few years back and picked up a Mark V for close to nothing. I love it and record with it all the time. But that day I was sooooo excited I dragged it out to a gig, a good gig with a big stage. HUGE mistake. The PITA aspect of lugging it and the added stress quotient...Totally not worth it, plus you're not doing you Rhodes any favors. Do yourself a favor---don't do it. Play what you usually play live. Just say no

Hammond B-2, Leslie 122, Hammond Sk1 73, Korg BX3 2001, Leslie 900, Motion Sound Pro 3, Polytone Taurus Elite, Roland RD300 old one, Roland VK7, Fender Rhodes Mark V with Roland JC90
Re: Stacking 2 keyboards on a Rhodes stage. [Re: sagetunes] #2945661 08/29/18 03:17 PM
D
dfcas Offline
D
I widened a DJ stand with 1/4" all thread rod 24 inches long with washers,lock washers, and nuts on each side. Its a little rickety but OK. You can buy all thread rod in various lengths precut and can cut it to a custom length if needed.

Re: Stacking 2 keyboards on a Rhodes stage. [Re: dfcas] #2945662 08/29/18 03:25 PM
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have my Dyno'd Mark 1 Stage in my upstairs office, and two boards over it. I have the Dyno "half flat" case option, which I always preferred to the straddler solution (I used to have the old original version of what Ken Rich is now making). But at present the two boards are on an old Ultimate A-Frame, which provides a little more adjustability for the boards (both fore and aft, as well as height).

It's convenient in the home office, but I wouldn't want to gig it (unless I was doing some '80s retro act I suppose).

Personally I agree with sagetunes - if I was going to gig my Rhodes, I'd forego the legs and use a sturdy WS550, and set up any other boards in an L, I think. Or only use Rhodes and an upper board on top, no 3rd board.

"I'm not just untalented. I'm multi untalented."

Moderated by  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner