Next Thread
Print Thread
O.T.: Retirement
#2944771 08/24/18 12:06 PM
DocPate Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
After you retire life gets really boring. After spending so many years interacting with colleagues and customers, I miss having other people that challenge my intellect and creative juices. I guess that's why I joined this and other forums. I'm glad you guys are here. You make my day.

Thanks

smileys-drinking-beer

Last edited by DocPate; 08/24/18 12:06 PM.
GP Island
Re: O.T.: Retirement
DocPate #2944776 08/24/18 12:24 PM
10k Club
10k Club
+1 Doc, I enjoy our conversations and fire up the forums in the morning with our good cyber friends and a cup of coffee! cool

Take care, Larryz
Larryz #2944779 08/24/18 12:37 PM
DocPate Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
+infinity Brother Larry.

Music to my tin ears

DocPate #2944791 08/24/18 01:21 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Retirement was both a relief, and a big bore. Fortunately I live in a retirement community with our own gym/exercise room, post office, 4 pools, a billiards/pool room, a wood shop, a computer club, various other clubs with facilities for each, We have a "school gym sized ballroom" which have many name bands and other acts in the season. Plus other activities. We also have a restaurant in the community called the Chuck Wagon. I ate there once in the 21 years I have been here. I use the pools, the gym and the post office. I never go to the meetings, nor do I participate in the dances or shows. But I could if I get that bored.....

Neighborhood happy hours every afternoon in the cooler season, that I do participate on.

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
desertbluesman #2944819 08/24/18 03:13 PM
S
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
S
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
Retirement was both a relief, and a big bore. Fortunately I live in a retirement community with our own gym/exercise room, post office, 4 pools, a billiards/pool room, a wood shop, a computer club, various other clubs with facilities for each, We have a "school gym sized ballroom" which have many name bands and other acts in the season. Plus other activities. We also have a restaurant in the community called the Chuck Wagon. I ate there once in the 21 years I have been here. I use the pools, the gym and the post office. I never go to the meetings, nor do I participate in the dances or shows. But I could if I get that bored.....
Neighborhood happy hours every afternoon in the cooler season, that I do participate on.

I think I'd be in that wood shop most of my waking hours.

Scott Fraser
Scott Fraser #2944887 08/24/18 08:14 PM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser

I think I'd be in that wood shop most of my waking hours.

I thought about joining the wood shop club and then building guitars there out of parts (you have to belong to the club and take classes on the machines to work in the wood shop). Some of the parts like necks and neck through body would be purchased but the bodies electronic installs and set up would be of my craftsmanship.

The wood shop is fully equipped to the "T" with woodworking tools, machines, dust collection, and a full paint shop for finishing the projects. It is actually a full sized 2000 sq ft mobile home without the party walls and rooms (except the paint booth).

dbm
If it sounds good, it is good !!
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=143231&content=music
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick
desertbluesman #2944921 08/25/18 12:38 AM
D
D
I've been retired for 2 and 1/2 years and despite some unexpected major bumps in the road I'm very happy living oceanside in Florida and having my 6 guitars and my little studio recording great stuff that only my friends and family will ever hear and they love it. No complaints. Complainin ain't gonna get you nowhares anyway my friends.

"Let me stand next to your fire!", Jimi Hendrix
Delta #2944941 08/25/18 08:30 AM
10k Club
10k Club
I'm retired too, and for the longest time even beofre retirement, as long as I had a newspaper, books, music to listen to, movies on tape( and now disc) and an IMAGINATION, I NEVER get bored.

But I can see how for many it can easily happen. All depending probably what you did for a living I suppose. wink

But, if this and other forums help, then I'm glad to be of assistance. wink
Whitefang

whitefang #2944993 08/25/18 12:46 PM
BiC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
I have been "retired" since I retired from the Air Force on 1 Sep 2011. But, that's not to say I have not been keeping an eye out for the ideal gig. I have submitted my resume a few times, but nothing has panned out yet. One thing I won't do is work a job I would not enjoy. That is why I am extremely picky as to where I submit my resume. Heck, If I wanted to, I could permanently "clock out" while still in my 40's. But, I wouldn't mind at least a part-time job that I thoroughly enjoyed. In the meantime, I keep myself busy maintaining our homestead on nearly 9 acres. But, I do become quite bored during the wintertime. It seems then is when I play/record more than during any other time of the year. But yeah, even early retirement isn't what it's cracked up to be if you don't keep yourself busy.

Last edited by BiC; 08/25/18 12:48 PM.

"Treat your wife with honor, respect, and understanding as you live together so that you can pray effectively as husband and wife." 1 Peter 3:7
BiC #2944994 08/25/18 12:50 PM
DocPate Offline OP
Gold Member
OP Offline
Gold Member
I guess this is why I rant occasionally about the current state of music and guitar. I need a catalyst to stir the creative juices.

Link Copied to Clipboard