Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vibrandoneon - a beautiful, wood, pro melodica...

I just lucked out as a B/C chromatic two-row Hohner Morgane just showed up at The Button Box in Sunderland MA, so I bought it tonight as these are now quite rare and especially in Irish tuning.

$975 used, which is the right price for one that's been looked over by a reputable shop. These come with hardshell cases, unlike the Compadre three-row diatonic that I may buy later for Tex-Mex/etc.

I've done a lot of listening and research by now, and nothing else out there inspires me as much. Not the Weltmeister or the Sandpiper or the Sherwood or even the higher-end models available.

Something about the voicing on this model, the specific level of dryness, that really appeals to me and rings authentic to my ears. I've been playing Celtic music off and on since the mid 1980's, and listening to it since the early 1970's. Very few genres are as well known to me.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. It's funny how this old discussion of high-end melodica's was what led me indirectly to my discovery of this special category of melodeon. :-)

And yet both models use reeds by Victoria from Italy. So possibly they have a similar sonic signature -- especially if the Vibrandoneon is semi swing tuned (i.e. partially dry). I haven't looked into that yet.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how I missed this before, but v2 of the Accordions library from Best Service, includes the Vibrandoneon.

Speaking of which, as of today, all of Tarilonte's accordions are available as singles, making them cheaper still and allowing you to focus on just the one(s) of interest.

Meanwhile, my B/C two-row diatonic Hohner Morgana arrived today, but I haven't had a chance to unbox it yet as I just got back to the office from a few days away.

• 1 year later...

It took a bit of fine-tuning of the search criteria to find this older post, but it's worth bouncing up, for comparison to the new wood Melodica from Suzuki.

At the very least, its $3K price tag makes the new one from Suzuki seem like a bargain (forgetting for now about that $300 soprano model from MyLodica).

It does have some accordion-like features though, that make it something of a hybrid compared to the more standard Suzuki model.