Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

Would love to hear more about the B3 emulation, some more in depth reports or recordings, if you can. And about live usage, managing sounds, splits, those things.

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Would love to hear more about the B3 emulation, some more in depth reports or recordings, if you can. And about live usage, managing sounds, splits, those things.

The B3 stuff is new, but the rest should all be the same as the existing Numa Compact 2.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

The B3 stuff is new, but the rest should all be the same as the existing Numa Compact 2.

Yes, I'm aware of that... I was asking more about how he is managing those limitations, his personal experience. :)

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Just wondering if anyone in the U.S. has actually received the NC2X, yet? (I read about one user ordering his from a German retailer, rather than waiting)

Ive had mine on pre-order from a U.S. retailer since mid-June, and they are now telling me early September. Im wondering if they are starting to trickle in.

Thanks!

The lack of new videos or demos is a very intriguing thing to me, considering that it's already "out", or sort of... :/

I pre ordered.

I suggest to anyone buying to read the manual and start programming parts in your head.

This way you can get to work when the unit arrives.

You get 30 days to return the unit.

Im particularly concerned with load times.

Im hoping to shelve my K4 and XITE-1/1U PC.

Those are fantastic pieces of kit but Im only doing 100 seat gigs and prefer a new, small live rig.

I will be dragging around my HX-3, SE-02s and possibly Code 8 OD.

5 seconds to load a sound is what I read in the manual.

If thats the case that Dog wont hunt.

Terrible for live performance.

At least theyre being honest.

But that is something I think live players wish to avoid.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Regarding the 5 seconds, the way I read it, it meant the display changed temporarily for 5s to show the list of sounds, not that it took 5s to change sound...?? just guessing though!

Thats a relief. Guess well see.

Im reading the manual everyday.

My wish is to control the 2X via MIDI or USB with my Physis K4.

Would love to see this get bigger memory upgrades or at least some section sounds.

I could easily stop using PCs for live work and go with racked analogs and a pair of K8.2s or TT08As depending on volume needed.

Regarding the 5 seconds, the way I read it, it meant the display changed temporarily for 5s to show the list of sounds, not that it took 5s to change sound...?? just guessing though!

Thats a relief. Guess well see.

Im reading the manual everyday.

My wish is to control the 2X via MIDI or USB with my Physis K4.

Would love to see this get bigger memory upgrades or at least some section sounds.

I could easily stop using PCs for live work and go with racked analogs and a pair of K8.2s or TT08As depending on volume needed.

I was specifically told by a StudioLogic rep at NAMM that the NumaCompact 2x would have user-replaceable sounds in the 1 GB of on-board Flash memory at some point in the future, although the exact details were not available back then yet. He implied that the sounds would most likely come from a Studiologic app download, and would also likely be in a proprietary format, but again, I guess that this is still too early for details, especially since plans sometimes "evolve" (e.g. change).

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Just wondering if anyone in the U.S. has actually received the NC2X, yet? (I read about one user ordering his from a German retailer, rather than waiting)

Ive had mine on pre-order from a U.S. retailer since mid-June, and they are now telling me early September. Im wondering if they are starting to trickle in.

Thanks!

Mine has been on pre-order status since early February, and so to my knowledge no U.S. destined units have arrived yet, although the distributer would be in the best position to answer that question. I do think that, for warranty purposes if nothing else, that it is smarter to get your unit from a U.S. authorized supplier, rather than "jump the gun" and try to import your own unit.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

I just checked, and two online stores show availability as 9/29 and one shows as 10/6. For a device that was slated to be available in April, its taking quite a while (I wonder what the holdup is).

I wouldnt be surprised if gets pushed back to November

I will probably get one, but have no need to do without first hearing from a number of people who are already living with theirs.

Im a critical keyboard guy, the kind of guy manufacturers hate.

Use a Physis K4 just cause Im not fond of ROMpler quality.

So Im not merciful, even though the price on this deserves a slide.

It will not receive such kindness.

If it sounds weak, Ill still like it for accepting extra splits via MIDI from my K4 and adding additional CCs via sliders.

I just checked, and two online stores show availability as 9/29 and one shows as 10/6. For a device that was slated to be available in April, its taking quite a while (I wonder what the holdup is).

I'm guessing they are having some serious quality control issues, probably from parts suppliers.

I'm guessing they are having some serious quality control issues, probably from parts suppliers.

I don't see how that's the case, considering that mcjohnmd already has his... Would love to hear/read more about his experience, though...

So I'm not the best when it comes to technical stuff. Am I right in saying this scenario is possible:

Software Rig: Laptop w/ mainstage, Numa Compact 2X.

Laptop > USB port on Numa Compact 2X > Stereo Out > DI box.

USB port on the Numa sends MIDI to the compact and receives the audio, negating the need for an interface? Is this correct? Can the audio/USB be used at the same time as MIDI over USB?

Hammond SKX

Mainstage 3

I don't see how that's the case, considering that mcjohnmd already has his... Would love to hear/read more about his experience, though...

They could be having QC issues with getting a high quantity of parts that work. Otherwise, why isnt this available everywhere instead of one place?

[Otherwise, why isnt this available everywhere instead of one place?

If there are advance orders for xxxx units and you can only produce xx a day, it will take some time before the channels start to fill. And then different countries can start seeing them at different rates based on things like regulatory approvals, shipping times, customs...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This sounds like the biggest vaporware scam in keyboard history.... I jumped ship in April.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they didn't announce it until now, you'd have some people saying, "geez, I just bought a Numa Compact 2, and had I known this was coming, I'd have waited for this one." Though they did underestimate how much more time they would need to get it shippable.

If there are advance orders for xxxx units and you can only produce xx a day, it will take some time before the channels start to fill. And then different countries can start seeing them at different rates based on things like regulatory approvals, shipping times, customs...

Ok but for this long? No. They said in one of the YouTube videos that it was scheduled to be out in April. That was well AFTER it was announced at January 2018 NAMM. If its the issues like you say, they should have been aware of those things, before they said April.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If they didn't announce it until now, you'd have some people saying, "geez, I just bought a Numa Compact 2, and had I known this was coming, I'd have waited for this one." Though they did underestimate how much more time they would need to get it shippable.

Again, they said April. And they have kept pushing it back. Is that to keep people from buying something else? Or is it they just are having serious problems? I think its possible that there will be a big price hike because they realized they cant pull it off at that price. Just how far ahead is it okay for a company to announce a product? One year? Two?

Ok but for this long? No. They said in one of the YouTube videos that it was scheduled to be out in April. That was well AFTER it was announced at January 2018 NAMM. If its the issues like you say, they should have been aware of those things, before they said April.

You changed the question. Your question was essentially, if it's available in so few places, what else could it be besides quality control problems? So I gave you other possible answers.

The question of why it is becoming available in August when they initially projected it would become available in April is an entirely different question. It could be that it took them longer than expected to get the software to be sufficiently non-buggy. It is simply difficult to predict when software will be done. Apple and Microsoft used to be notorious for missing expected release dates by quite a bit. They've gotten better, I think largely because the internet means they can release something that isn't quite right and get patches out as needed, a luxury they didn't really have in the 80s and 90s.

Of course there could be other reasons for the overly optimistic NC2X projection as well, which, sure, could involve hardware fabrication/manufacturing issues as well.

You changed the question. Your question was essentially, if it's available in so few places, what else could it be besides quality control problems? So I gave you other possible answers.

The question of why it is becoming available in August when they initially projected it would become available in April is an entirely different question. It could be that it took them longer than expected to get the software to be sufficiently non-buggy. It is simply difficult to predict when software will be done. Apple and Microsoft used to be notorious for missing expected release dates by quite a bit. They've gotten better, I think largely because the internet means they can release something that isn't quite right and get patches out as needed, a luxury they didn't really have in the 80s and 90s.

Of course there could be other reasons for the overly optimistic NC2X projection as well, which, sure, could involve hardware fabrication/manufacturing issues as well.

Its not April, its October. And your answer makes no sense. If the problem is buggy software then the few units they are releasing, would be buggy as well. If the software is good in the units that have been sold, then it could be good in all of them.

And your answer makes no sense. If the problem is buggy software then the few units they are releasing, would be buggy as well. If the software is good in the units that have been sold, then it could be good in all of them.

We are not communicating well, and I don't have time to try to clarify, so never mind.

Just wondering, for anyone who actually has the NC2X...

When editing a "synth" patch, do the sliders start at zero when they are closest to you? (like most synth sliders)

Or, do they start at zero when they are farthest away from you? (like organ drawbars)

I'm new to the whole organ drawbar thing (I'm more into synths), so I'm really excited to mess with those features.

Just wondering, for anyone who actually has the NC2X...

When editing a "synth" patch, do the sliders start at zero when they are closest to you? (like most synth sliders)

Or, do they start at zero when they are farthest away from you? (like organ drawbars)

I'm new to the whole organ drawbar thing (I'm more into synths), so I'm really excited to mess with those features.

At the present time I think only one forum member has received a unit.

I checked the manual for you, but it didn't specify the directionality of the sliders explicitly.

I would have a very hard time imagining that any established synthesizer maker would make the zero point at the top of the slider throw like organ drawbars. Every single other analog or virtual analog synthesizer I have ever seen puts the 0 at the bottom of the throw.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8