Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2942282 - 08/09/18 10:36 PM SKB or Gator for 88..?
Analogaddict Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stockholm, Sweden
I use an old, rugged case for transporting my Forte. Itís been part of my touring rig for an artist since April, and his sound firm do all the hauling. Which is sweet - for me, that is. The last few weeks Iíve been getting complaints on the case, which I can understand since itís a bit oversized and has no wheels. Itís a pain to move around, and Iíll need to upgrade for an autumn tour weíll be doing.

Since we donít fly with the backline, I figure a medium plastic case would do the job and make the backliners happier, but I donít know what model to get. Since Iím in Sweden, the options are basically gator or skb and Iíve been looking at two models, this SKB and this Gator.
Does anybody have any experiences with them? I have a couple of Gator cases for my 61-key boards and I like them but Iím not convinced about the locks... The SKB looks more solid but Iíd have to order it, I canít check them out...

KC Island
#2942290 - 08/10/18 03:30 AM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: Analogaddict]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
I just got the slimline version of the gator case you're looking at for my Kronos LS. I'm very pleased with it.

#2942302 - 08/10/18 05:52 AM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: mcgoo]
Adam Burgess Offline

I had the Gator TSA cases for a Stage2 88 (actually fitted into the slim 76 case, though) and a 61 Kronos. They were flying in Emirates cargo between the UK and Middle East a good few times, as well as day to day stuff in and out of vehicles. No problems at all.

The handles are nice, the locks and catches also fine.

I have the Kronos 73 now in the Korg case - it looks and feels like an SKB and it is not as solid as the Gator TSA.

#2942308 - 08/10/18 06:22 AM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: Adam Burgess]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
I've had SKB cases in the past and use a Gator case now. They have both been solid. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2942328 - 08/10/18 08:24 AM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: ProfD]
Analogaddict Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thanks a lot! I really appriceate the responses. Itíll probably be the Gator, since itís cheaper. smile

#2942333 - 08/10/18 08:42 AM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: Analogaddict]
CEB Offline
10k Club

How much does the Forte weigh?

I have two of the Gators.

If you carry the Gator loaded with the Kronos 2-88 or a Yamaha S90XS up stairs by the single carry handle a steep angle will pull the handle off. If two guys carry the board by the end handles it is fine.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2942334 - 08/10/18 08:43 AM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: Analogaddict]
CEB Offline
10k Club

If you carry the Gator loaded with the Kronos 2-88 or a Yamaha S90XS up stairs by the single carry handle a steep angle will pull the handle off. If two guys carry the board by the end handles it is fine.

#2942368 - 08/10/18 11:18 AM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: CEB]
Analogaddict Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB

Ouch!!! Our backliner is a nice guy but not the most gentle... Thanks, Iíll have another look around...

#2942372 - 08/10/18 11:41 AM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: Analogaddict]
Throbert Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Colorado
My extreme 76 will only fit in a gater 88 slim GTSA-KEY88SL so I guess no debate there.
I need a UAD quad and an IEM rig. More VIs

#2942419 - 08/10/18 03:37 PM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: Analogaddict]
CEB Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Analogaddict
Originally Posted By: CEB

Ouch!!! Our backliner is a nice guy but not the most gentle... Thanks, Iíll have another look around...

Just to clarify. The handle is fine if the case is level. but if at a steep angle like going up stairs the suitcase handle will pop out of the handle bracket. I have these cases because it was what Kraft Music provided in their bundle deals. The last bundle deal was Sweetwater matching Kraft.

I have to use trigger clamps to put the handle back on. first squeeze the handle to fit in the handle mount. Then use a clamp to pop the handle back in. I've had this happen on both cases.

Edited by CEB (08/10/18 03:40 PM)

#2942447 - 08/10/18 05:56 PM Re: SKB or Gator for 88..? [Re: Analogaddict]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Iíve been using the exact Gator case you referenced for my Kronos 88 for about 5-6 years. Wheels, latches, handles, etc., have all held up well, but I transport my own gear and Iím very careful. If I had to pinpoint one concern it probably would be the latches. I have a similar Gator case for my Jupiter-80 and sometimes one of the latches (same as those on the case for the K88) acts a little funny...seems I have to try latching it a few times before it ďcatchesĒ and locks into place. Overall, however, I would not hesitate to get the same cases again.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner