Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#2941215 - 08/03/18 03:29 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: surfergirl]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Keep us posted as we will be wanting to hear your review Surfergirl! Have fun! cool

GP Island
#2941239 - 08/03/18 06:32 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Larryz]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
They postponed their Hawaiian shows till next year. Not sure why. They also postponed or canceled their shows in Japan. I don't know if it is about money, the Republik only holds about 1000 people and tickets were $35. Maybe they want to schedule larger venue can't blame them. I was kind of surprised that they were playing the Republik. I'm disappointed, but if they come next year ok. I'd rather see them at a better venue.

Ok, apparently their drummer has bad hands and can't play. They have postponed all of their August shows.

Edited by surfergirl (08/03/18 09:09 PM)

#2941276 - 08/04/18 04:21 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: surfergirl]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
shocked
I guess that means you paid $35 for a T-SHIRT? wink

Well, I guess it does have some special meaning for ya,, but will eventually become the most expensive dusting rag you'll own wink (my buddy's $20 Aerosmith T from a '77 show now is). And it reminded me of something my daughter once did that I'm still proud of her for....

Back about the mid '90's, she was at a bar with some of her friends and some guy(creep she thought) kept trying to hit on her. When talking with him, she kept calling him "Tommy". He finally asked her why because, "My name is NICK, so why do you keep calling me "Tommy"?" and she replied, "Well, your name is blazoned all over the front of your T-SHIRT!"

And the guy chuckled and told her, "No, that's for TOMMY HILFIGER, the fashion designer?" And my daughter(whom by now you figured knew that all along) said, "COOL! You know a fashion designer well enough to BORROW his CLOTHES?"

By this time, she said the guy was getting pretty frustrated and shot back with, "Get REAL bitch. You know what it's all about. These shirts are for the general public. I paid $40 for this shirt!" So, unable to resist, my girl then replied, "You mean you paid $40 for a shirt with SOMEBODY ELSE'S name on it? What ARE you? Some kind of MORON?" then she laughed and creepy finally moved away. grin
Whitefang

#2941286 - 08/04/18 06:20 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Very sorry to hear your show got cancelled Surfergirl! I hope they do come back next year and you get to have a great time, enjoy a great show and wear that T-shirt! I had a Bob Seger concert get cancelled on me a couple of years ago and it was very disappointing. He's still around and maybe I'll get to see him yet! cool

#2941293 - 08/04/18 07:15 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
That's weird...I do not doubt SG knows whence she speaks but just now, tryna chk into this, there's no mention of GVF cancellations on their website, or on Google that I can find. idk

Any rate & anyway, they do suggest to me that worries abt the decline of gtr in the eye's 'n' ears of the young campers are misapprehended.

#2941313 - 08/04/18 10:34 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: d]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
www.mauiarts.org. Click on the the show date and you will find all the info on the postponements.

#2941315 - 08/04/18 10:54 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: DocPate]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2941320 - 08/04/18 12:24 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Dannyalcatraz Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
Yeah, Thundercat!

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2941322 - 08/04/18 12:28 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: surfergirl]
MP Hall of Fame Member

My take on Great Van Fleet: they have potential. They’re not bad, not great.

Unlike some, I don’t have a problem with the lead singer having a RP-esque voice. He didn’t request that voice at birth, after all.

But I DO think aping RP’s visual style & stage act will wear thin. He needs to develop his own identity.

They’re young, yet, though.

#2941341 - 08/04/18 01:49 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thundercat dudes sounds cool to me! What kind of guitar is he playing? I count at least 7 or more strings and only 6 tuning machines? thu

Edited by Larryz (08/05/18 07:55 AM)

#2941407 - 08/05/18 04:11 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

And DANNY......

It's GRETA, ain't it? wink

For now anyway, it seems the "guitar world" isn't dead, just isn't (at this time) as prominent as it used to be. And as we've mostly agreed on that music styles and "trends" are cyclical, It'll probably sooner or later come back around.
Whitefang

#2941460 - 08/05/18 01:27 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: surfergirl]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
www.mauiarts.org. Click on the the show date and you will find all the info on the postponements.

But 2 bad !

& TCat is tooooo bad, toooo !

#2941461 - 08/05/18 01:34 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: whitefang]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Quote:
And DANNY.....It's GRETA, ain't it?[quote]
Maybe it's both: Great Greta V F...

[quote]...it seems the "guitar world" isn't dead, just isn't (at this time) as prominent as it used to be. And as we've mostly agreed on that music styles and "trends" are cyclical, It'll probably sooner or later come back around.

In today's world it all depends on where we cast our attention.

#2941464 - 08/05/18 02:02 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
And DANNY......

It's GRETA, ain't it? wink

Grrr...DAMN YOU AUTOCORRECT!!!

#2941494 - 08/05/18 06:09 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Lokair Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Braeburn PA
Guitar is alive and well, Just check out new bands, if you feel there is nothing new its all on you. I was stagnant for a couple of years, then bam bought a new cd every other month of music being made today(bought cds made this year) and found out it was I who was dying. Buy some music or use amazon or stream stuff and try out new bands, guys, girls and listen.

Lok

#2941511 - 08/05/18 08:49 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Lokair]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
The music being pushed by the corporates in North Am isn`t about guitars-actually it`s not about instruments. Consequently it`s not about bands either.
Part of my schedule these days involves covers of hit songs. I have to keep up with what`s trending. That can be truly painful but, every now and then something interesting pops up.
Nice Mark Knopffler vibe going with this one:

After a long time of being unimpressed with U.K. music, a band who had me on their mailing list and I paid no attention until recently, is Pale Waves.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2941523 - 08/05/18 10:30 PM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Yeah, Thundercat!

cool

Originally Posted By: Larryz
Thundercat dudes sounds cool to me! What kind of guitar is he playing? I count at least 7 or more strings and only 6 tuning machines? thu

Ibanez Thundercat Six String Bass.

Unlike some, I don’t have a problem with the lead singer having a RP-esque voice. He didn’t request that voice at birth, after all.

But I DO think aping RP’s visual style & stage act will wear thin. He needs to develop his own identity.

Much agreed.

#2941535 - 08/06/18 04:02 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: skipclone 1]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: skipclone 1
The music being pushed by the corporates in North Am isn`t about guitars-actually it`s not about instruments. Consequently it`s not about bands either.

I see/hear a lot of what you probably mean, Skip.

A lot of "artists" singing "ready-made" multi-shared melodies to some "ready-made" computer file backing track, and too, probably used by many other "artists" groomed to look and sound like what some demographic study indicates is what's desired by "the public" these days.

We used to celebrate the unique in music, but lately it seems that "unique" is considered the same as those who don't wear the clothes or hair styles everyone ELSE does. ( shocked AIEEEE! ) which is to be avoided like GLUTEN! (AIIEEEEE!) wink
Whitefang

#2941547 - 08/06/18 06:48 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Thanks Caevan, Now I get why that neck was so wide and it looked like a 7! cool

#2941583 - 08/06/18 09:31 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Larryz
Thanks Caevan, Now I get why that neck was so wide and it looked like a 7! cool

That's what I'm talking about, somebody with a new Instrument and a new approach, even if his style looks back to Funk and Soul, that is light years beyond.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2941591 - 08/06/18 10:16 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

C'mon, Danny... look how long a successful career Kingdom Come has had... wink

It was like 6 months later everyone just said "hey, those guys are just Led Zeppelin rip-offs..."

#2941593 - 08/06/18 10:19 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I like Heart for the most part (save the ridiculous 80s song factory stuff), and they are a heavily Led Zep-influenced band, but they managed to always find their own thing and own personality so it has never even occurred to some people that there's any similarity... in their club days, they were a Led Zeppelin cover band.

#2941597 - 08/06/18 10:44 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

New bands/directions/guitar playing?

Paging St. Vincent...

But generally, here is the cultural problem we're stuck in: we are very technologically advanced and constantly advancing... and when that happens, people want to bury and ignore technology. We should be playing synth guitars and creating new, unnatural sounds... but people don't want technology shoved in their face that way, because they're saturated with technology in their everyday lives and a lot of people have some tension and aggravation with it. I can remember as a kid in the 70s and 80s everyone expected the future to be... futuristic, in terms of fashion, furniture, music, etc. It generally turned in the other direction... we have gadgets, but most people live in a house full of faux rustic throwback furniture... Tuscan Gothic or something... around here everything is French Provincial architecture as far as houses...

The more advanced we get, the more will want things from the past, and music from the past. Hip Hop is built on vintage samples and 40 year old drum machine technology. Modern country is a mix up of 80s hip hop and arena rock with pedal steel and acoustic guitars in the mix. Dance music, even the far-out techno glitchy stuff friends of mine expose me to, has sounded the same to me since the early 90s at the latest...

There becomes a point, though, where "originality for originality's sake" is not a musical concern... and it makes music unenjoyable... and that's what Popular Music/Rock and Roll is supposed to be: enjoyable... it was a working-class escapism device that took over mainstream culture. And it still is on top... as long as it's something from the 80s.

#2941702 - 08/07/18 03:23 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: p90jr]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
Watching an interesting series on youtube called `cracking the code`, which takes instructional and other videos from widely admired guitarists, and breaks down their technique frame by frame, pick stroke by pick stroke.
It`s certainly interesting and can be helpful if you`re trying to master a certain technique or sound. But in my opinion it`s similar to the technology issue. Yes, sooner or later there will be a breakthrough and it will make new things possible on the instrument. But even now, you could spend a year just reading instruction manuals for all the new gear. You could spend another year studying picking techniques, feedback tricks, amp settings, miking applications-and never actually make any music. Don`t even get started on theory. Sooner or later it should be about expressing what`s in your soul. To get caught up in all the gadgets and techniques, and never get to that point-kind of a waste, no? unless you want to be a teacher. Another place to not get started on...

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2941703 - 08/07/18 03:48 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: p90jr]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: p90jr

C'mon, Danny... look how long a successful career Kingdom Come has had... wink

It was like 6 months later everyone just said "hey, those guys are just Led Zeppelin rip-offs..."

grin
I do own a few of their albums.

AND Fastway.

And Bonham.

And Coverdale/Page

Etc.

#2941705 - 08/07/18 04:03 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

smirk
Personally.... I think we're LONG overdue for a 1910 Fruitgum Co. tribute band! sick laugh
Whitefang

#2941742 - 08/07/18 08:42 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: whitefang]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
smirk
Personally.... I think we're LONG overdue for a 1910 Fruitgum Co. tribute band! sick laugh
Whitefang

You had to say it. Now that notion can never be unconceived. I will hold you personally responsible if/when this comes to fruition.

#2941777 - 08/07/18 10:45 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

AND Fastway.

And Bonham.

And... Page

I like all of them!

Seen all three.

Jason Bonham, twice- the first time, with Page.

Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
smirk
Whitefang

You had to say it. Now that notion can never be unconceived. I will hold you personally responsible if/when this comes to fruition.

Or gummation.

#2941787 - 08/07/18 11:12 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: whitefang]
MP Hall of Fame Member

smirk
Whitefang

Perhaps they can tour with a Focus-inspired band?

#2941789 - 08/07/18 11:17 AM Re: Is The Guitar World Dead hi [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Now Country-Jazz fusion is an interesting concept

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose