Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

Swap that Klingon out for a Vader and your studio would be perfect. :cool:

~ vonnor

:laugh: ..... not a chance!

I like your style! And to vonnor :saber:

Next MWKCFH should be at your place, Greg!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ha! Could be fun. I think the Mrs might OD on having to endure keyboard geek speak (maybe I could create a looped sample of her voice that she could trigger that says "whatever" while listening to us). :laugh:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Ha! Could be fun. I think the Mrs might OD on having to endure keyboard geek speak (maybe I could create a looped sample of her voice that she could trigger that says "whatever" while listening to us). :laugh:

:roll:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

And the Kronos and Model D aren't too shabby, either. Nicely done, Greg :thu:

Thanks. There were 3 main goals when I tried to figure out how to set the room up. It needed to be ergonomically efficient, maximize limited space and have everything always on, ready to roll, 24/7. The Kronos is my gig rig, so it's setup for programming in my room (the playing angle on it isn't great, but the controls & display work nicely for setting splits, layers, controller assignements, etc.). The Code 61 is primarily used for controlling VB3 in my DAW. The Laptop, MOTU interface and JV2080 to the left of the Wurlie are for programming for one of the bands I play in where they provide gear. I bring in my Laptop and use its sounds along with their XP-80. I use the 2080 at home as a stand-in for the XP-80 when I'm programming setups for that band. The bulk of my day gig work is spent in front of the DAW using softsynths, but I always try to look for excuses to use the old toys on the wall.

www.gmma.biz

And the Kronos and Model D aren't too shabby, either. Nicely done, Greg :thu:

Thanks. There were 3 main goals when I tried to figure out how to set the room up. It needed to be ergonomically efficient, maximize limited space and have everything always on, ready to roll, 24/7. The Kronos is my gig rig, so it's setup for programming in my room (the playing angle on it isn't great, but the controls & display work nicely for setting splits, layers, controller assignements, etc.). The Code 61 is primarily used for controlling VB3 in my DAW. The Laptop, MOTU interface and JV2080 to the left of the Wurlie are for programming for one of the bands I play in where they provide gear. I bring in my Laptop and use its sounds along with their XP-80. I use the 2080 at home as a stand-in for the XP-80 when I'm programming setups for that band. The bulk of my day gig work is spent in front of the DAW using softsynths, but I always try to look for excuses to use the old toys on the wall.

Growing pains :) I've re-arranged my studio at least four times as it has grown with ergonomics in mind. My last setup is my final one, the most ergonomic I had arranged, I don't want any more gear and I am happy with what I have!!!

Growing pains :) I've re-arranged my studio at least four times as it has grown with ergonomics in mind. My last setup is my final one, the most ergonomic I had arranged, I don't want any more gear and I am happy with what I have!!!

Growing pains is right! I have a pretty major setup change coming due to my need to sit for anything longer than say 15 minutes at a time. And that may be on a good day :eek:.

Using:

Yamaha: Montage M8x| Spectrasonics: Omnisphere, Keyscape | uhe: Diva, Hive2, Zebra2| Roland: Cloud Pro | Arturia: V Collection

NI: Komplete 14 | VPS: Avenger | Cherry: GX80 | G-Force: OB-E | Korg: Triton, MS-20

Sold/Traded:

Yamaha: Motif XS8, Motif ES8, Motif8, KX-88, TX7 | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe| Roland: RD-2000, D50, MKS-20| Korg: Kronos 88, T3, MS-20

Oberheim: OB8, OBXa, Modular 8 Voice | Rhodes: Dyno-My-Piano| Crumar: T2

I've been haunting the forum admiring all y'all's gear for long enough, so I figured I'd drop mine. This is the biggest rig I haul around, for the seven-piece funk band I'm in.

http://samuelblupowitz.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ts_keysrig_2018.jpg

I use the Nord Electro 4D for organ 90% of the time, with the occasional Mellotron or chime samples. That goes through the rotary channel of the Motion Sound KBR-3D. The Novation Ultranova goes into the clean channel of the Motion Sound (or through the MXR talkbox).

The Wurli 200 and the Clavinet D6 go into the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. The Morley distortion/wah/volume pedal is for the clav; I usually leave the wah on for bite even if I'm not sweeping it, but I'll use the volume function as a kill switch to cut down on the delightful hum that varies in volume depending on the venue's power situation...

For smaller gigs, I'll use just the Nord and the Novation through the Motion Sound, and split the Nord's routing so I can send the organ to the rotary channel and everything else to the clean. It's a lot easier and faster to set up, but not nearly as fun to play. ;)

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Enjoy seeing people use the classic gear. The clavinet has seen better days. :cool:

What sounds do you use the Novation for? It seems out of place with all the classic keys.

Spent a lot of time in Ithaca, NY. My brother went to Cornell and I attended University of Rochester, so I was there frequently on weekends.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Enjoy seeing people use the classic gear. The clavinet has seen better days. :cool:

What sounds do you use the Novation for? It seems out of place with all the classic keys.

Spent a lot of time in Ithaca, NY. My brother went to Cornell and I attended University of Rochester, so I was there frequently on weekends.

That clavinet deserves an overhaul, some tlc can make it shine again.

I work at U of R wow.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The clav is definitely in need of a little TLC. That one isn't technically mine; it's on more-or-less permanent loan from our guitar player's father, who used to tour with it but didn't want to lug it around anymore. It sat in a closet for a decade or so until he said "if you can get it fixed up enough to play it, you can use it as much as you want." There's nothing like playing the real thing, and I love it -- the first time I laid my hands on the keys, I immediately understood why it wound up the go-to instrument for bouncy, stabby funk licks. It's needed few workarounds for the tired electronics just to keep making sound, though, nevermind the aesthetic wear. One of these days I'll save up enough scratch to get someone to do some real restoration work on it (and get the tone switches working again).

The Novation is my all-purpose synth -- leads (including the talkbox stuff), doubling bass parts, the occasional pad or sound effect. A Moog would certainly fit in with the 70s gear a little better, but I haven't been quite deep enough into synths to invest that much money in one (instead I got the Nord and the Wurli). I messed around with laptops and controllers, but dragging a Macbook to the breweries and bars I usually play makes me anxious, so the Ultranova was a good deal on a versatile hardware synth with a lot sound design options, for my sporadic but varied synth needs.

It fits kind of nicely with my general theme of vintage gear met by digital compromises. My car is only so big, and I only get paid so much!

Ithaca's a funny little town, but I love it. Originally came here for undergrad at Ithaca College, and now I do digital media work for Cornell. Includes managing a little recording studio, so no complaints about that day gig. ;)

Samuel B. Lupowitz

The clavinet has seen better days. :cool:

Keyboard fashion police, if the gear sounds good.. let it be.

Killer rig.. I have the Ultranova in my setup. It's a lil' beast!

FWIW, I dig the road torn look of the Clavinet

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

FWIW, I dig the road torn look of the Clavinet

+1

I don't really get keyboard players' concern with having instruments look like they have never been played. Yes, get the clav 100% funtional, but don't worry about the milage on the outside. When I was 17 I saw a great picture if Frank Zappa on the cover of Guitar Player magazine. He was wearing a (restored) Strat that Hendrix had set aflame during his performance at Monterey. It was even more trashed than Stevie RV's beat up guitar. It was beautiful, in much the same way that an old Selmer sax looks when all the laquer has been worn off. My old guitar player would say that an instrument that has be well worn in has soul.

My clavinet is even more beat looking than yours (cigarette burns and all) and has more rock and roll cred than I'll ever have. I think that the only reason to fix the cosmetics is if I want to sell the instrument. Of course, these things are relative, so one man's patina is another man's decay.

I've been haunting the forum admiring all y'all's gear for long enough, so I figured I'd drop mine. This is the biggest rig I haul around, for the seven-piece funk band I'm in.

Dope rig, dude. More power to you. :puff::2thu: (OK, I'm out of cliches' now) ;)

I'll be 58 at the end of summer. I love my Wurlitzer 200 and my Clavinet E7 but couldn't even imagine gigging with them anymore.

:nopity:

My clavinet is even more beat looking than yours (cigarette burns and all) and has more rock and roll cred than I'll ever have.

The Hammond BCV that was donated to our church a few years back has beer bottle stains all over it. I play that thing every weekend and I love it. It's a reminder to me that even rock and rollers with a somewhat tainted past like myself are welcome in God's house. :laugh:

www.gmma.biz

Keyboard fashion police, if the gear sounds good.. let it be.

Not keyboard police, genuinely curious. You ask a question and people think you are criticizing :cop::facepalm:

I know it sounds good - I own one. It is a heck of a VA at an excellent price point. It is just focused on very different sounds, and curious how it is used to complement the classic gear.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Aw, y'all sure do know how to make a guy feel at home. :blush: Thanks!

I'll be 58 at the end of summer. I love my Wurlitzer 200 and my Clavinet E7 but couldn't even imagine gigging with them anymore.

I'm just shy of 29, and I've gotten myself used to surpassing the drummer in the first-to-arrive-last-to-leave game. So far it's been worth it to get to play those instruments onstage, but I figure that over the next decade or so, I can see how my back holds up (and how many reeds and strings I break).

Samuel, what kind/brand of stand are you using for your novation ultra nova synth?

It's a Roland SS-PC1 laptop stand, on loan from a friend. It's better for positioning the Novation than the second tier of the clav stand was, but I'm still undecided on it. One of my other projects has the same rig without the clav, and I keep messing around with the right height and placement for the synth.

Dude, you are 45 minutes from me. When is your next show?

Cool! Is it kosher to plug that sort of thing around here? Playing a wedding today, and then I have a few weeks off from gigging for the first time since we thawed out in, uh, April... I have a club show in downtown Ithaca at a somewhat-reasonable hour later in August. I'll PM you about it.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Dude, you are 45 minutes from me. When is your next show?

Cool! Is it kosher to plug that sort of thing around here?

The section just above the banner is titled shameless plugs. That's what it is there for. :thu:

:nopity: