Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2943509 - 08/16/18 10:39 AM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: AnotherScott]
Kevin Sage Offline

Loc: AZ
Are you speaking of going with Main Stage and a controller keyboard as the preferred travel option?

KC Island
#2943550 - 08/16/18 01:54 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Kevin Sage]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Kevin Sage
Are you speaking of going with Main Stage and a controller keyboard as the preferred travel option?

No, the premise was traveling with no keyboard ("a board that: Is readily available at most destinations as a rental"). So then all you need to travel with is your laptop running Maintstage or whatever, and you can plug it into whatever.

#2943554 - 08/16/18 02:15 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: AnotherScott]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
I would add a compact control surface, like a Korg nanokontrol 2, to that. Map your controls in advance to something you can bring along. Then you just need an 88 (or the size of your choice) with working wheels and a couple of pedal inputs. Mainstage is the best - but it wants you to do your due diligence ahead of time

#2943566 - 08/16/18 03:59 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Bobby Simons]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

One board, but I cheat a little bit.

My board is still a Roland RD300GX. After all these years.... killer Rhodes and still the Superior Grand acoustic sounds good.

My organ sound comes from the HX3 module. Easy to use with presets. Just about my favorite on board leslie sim.

So not quite " one board" but not bad....

#2943574 - 08/16/18 05:47 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: LX88]
10k Club

Personally, I count it as one board if you can leave any other pieces velcro'd in place so you can still move it as one unit.

#2944180 - 08/20/18 05:45 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: AnotherScott]
HSS Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Las Vegas NV
If I have to do a quick gig with one board, I'll use my Kurz SP4-7 if it's more AP/ EP focused. If more organ with a moderate amount of AP / EP is required, I'll use my NE 5d 73. If a heavily focus on organ is required, I'll use my Hammond Sk1 61.

I now tend to gig with small-footprint, lightweight boards due to a bad knee and the fact that most stages I play on as a weekend warrior are small and cramped.

For sale: Hammond SK2

#2944182 - 08/20/18 06:23 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Bobby Simons]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
I would add a compact control surface, like a Korg nanokontrol 2, to that. Map your controls in advance to something you can bring along. Then you just need an 88 (or the size of your choice) with working wheels and a couple of pedal inputs. Mainstage is the best - but it wants you to do your due diligence ahead of time

+1. This is what I did before I had status on United and could fly with my Roland A800. I still carry my NanoKontrol in case the Roland has issues. I agree with you 100% - who wants to have to program a rental keyboard's sliders, knobs & buttons before a show (assuming it even has the controls you require)? I also pack this along Ė quick, easy, cheap and safe for any surface, it attaches the NanoKontrol on any keyboard:

#2944206 - 08/21/18 02:33 AM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Reezekeys]
yannis D Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: athens, greece
I gig with one board - NE 5D
I just add Mainstage (running on the same keyboard), when i need more options and i do splits, layers etc, depending on the group
Most of the times though, it's just the Electro. Easy to use, nice sounds, easy to transport in a crowdy city.

#2944223 - 08/21/18 06:23 AM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: yannis D]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
sp6

#2944231 - 08/21/18 06:57 AM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Legatoboy]
Tombstone88 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Toano, Virginia, USA
Lately all I have been hauling is my SP6. I've loaded it with a whole bunch of Forte SE and PC3 sounds and I tweaked a bunch of these in the editor. And I have several multis setup. So I have pretty much stopped taking my VR-09 for now.

#2944238 - 08/21/18 07:37 AM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Tombstone88]
BEMcCut Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
I did a fill-in job Saturday with just my Kurzweil PC361. No back up. It worked well and covered the job. Monday I turned it on and nothing, just blue screen and no sound. It took about 10 times of turning it off and back on before it worked. It is still working fine but my VR-09 will be in the car from now on just in case.

#2952412 - 10/10/18 02:23 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: BEMcCut]
10k Club

Some updates...

...a mistake in the OP, Casio MZ-X300/MZ-X500 doesn't run on batteries.

...and a clarification, Artis 7 limitations on patch remain with organ sounds affects only switching *away* from an organ sound, not *to* one (as I recently mentioned in another thread)

Meanwhile, there's now a 76-key version of the Juno DS61 (15.25 lbs), which would have all the benefits of the DS61 plus the wider keyspan. So there's a nice 76 that's about half the price of the Artis 7, and 12 lbs lighter, too. Mostly what you lose is the clonewheel engine and a lot of MIDI functionality. Kurz also has advantages in patch selection, better facilities for 3 and 4 sound splits/layers (DS is really optimized for up to 2 sounds at a time), and probably better action.

I'm also looking forward to trying out the Yamaha MODX7 (16.3 lbs).

#2952422 - 10/10/18 05:21 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Tombstone88]
RABid Offline
10k Club

Because of the lack of a key pad to quickly enter patch numbers the Roland FA-06 has fallen off of the list for me. Back to just the Kronos. I would also consider the Montage if the job did not call for much organ.

#2952426 - 10/10/18 05:41 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: RABid]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: RABid
Because of the lack of a key pad to quickly enter patch numbers the Roland FA-06 has fallen off of the list for me. Back to just the Kronos. I would also consider the Montage if the job did not call for much organ.

I'm late to this thread, so... TL;DR.

I just bought a MODX7, and that coupled with my iPad and Galileo 2, I'm covered for the pop gigs where I don't have the room or the need for the Mojo61 + Lower rig. Might just pick up a Crumar drawbar unit to use with Galileo to put the icing on the cake. wink

#2952427 - 10/10/18 05:42 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: RABid]
10k Club

Because of the lack of a key pad to quickly enter patch numbers the Roland FA-06 has fallen off of the list for me...I would also consider the Montage if the job did not call for much organ.
As you probably know, you can use the trigger pads on the FA as a keypad, but it's not so practical because you probably want the pads available for other things. The DS has a better arrangement, you can quickly toggle the Favorite buttons to act as a keypad. But the DS is weak for organ. That would lead me back to the Artis 7 which has a decent drawbar organ with real-time drawbar control. It doesn't use a number pad, but you can have quick 2-button access to any of 256 favorite sounds/combinations, among other quick access sets.

#2952428 - 10/10/18 05:44 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Sven Golly]
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
I just bought a MODX7, and that coupled with my iPad and Galileo 2, I'm covered for the pop gigs where I don't have the room or the need for the Mojo61 + Lower rig. Might just pick up a Crumar drawbar unit to use with Galileo to put the icing on the cake. wink

Go all the way and replace Galileo with a Gemini module!

#2952436 - 10/10/18 06:21 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: AnotherScott]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly

Go all the way and replace Galileo with a Gemini module!

Budget must be observed... and that's overkill for just organ. wink

(that being said, though, the Gemini Rack would definitely be a kickass addition. wink )

#2952439 - 10/10/18 06:43 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Sven Golly]
Murky Musty Moth Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Motif XF8 for me. Or Montage actually, since it would be a single-board rig with no MIDI used. Or Kronos (LS?).

Edited by Murky Musty Moth (10/10/18 06:44 PM)

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2952445 - 10/10/18 07:34 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: RABid]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE

Are you using the pads for something else, like triggering samples? Because you can definitely set the keypad to enter patch numbers, I used mine that way all the time.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2952446 - 10/10/18 07:38 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: DanL]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
I did my 1st single board gig with the Kronos last weekend, with my dance/party band. (I do a lot of blues type gigs with my Electro 5 by itself, this was new territory) I had to replicate a lot of patches from my FA08 and I'm also using the CX3 engine for organ, so I had to do some other creative splits to work that in. The gig went well. I had to tweak some things that were not quite right, in how they sat in the mix etc., so i went thru everything tonight and made some adjustments.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2952448 - 10/10/18 08:45 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: DanL]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
Iím using one now.
Took a while to replace all the patches Solaris, Omnisphere and Zebra2 were doing but Code 8 split into 2 x 4 Voice polysynths gets the job done.
The SE-02, HX -3, Strymon Big Sky, Timeline and Deco do a good job of replacing the Scope DSP FX, and the Key Largo sounds really loud and clean.

I can always go back to the expensive Solaris/Scope DSP Rig.
Itís chall ngoni covering all of the parts on 1 Controller, but with performance that contain 4 scenes, 8 zones each really helps.

#2952552 - 10/11/18 10:22 AM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: hardware]
Tonysounds Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
One board rigs for me are an SK1 88 with my Integra.

#2952643 - 10/11/18 04:40 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Tonysounds]
jeffinpghpa Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Depends on the gig for me.

If primarily pianos & EPs, Forte 7.
If I don't want to carry that weight, FA-07, but I might use an iPad running Ravenscroft, Neo Soul Keys, Korg Module, etc., or not.
If primarily, organ, Viscount Legend Live, but with the iPad apps above (and synth apps)

Just depends.

#2952644 - 10/11/18 04:48 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: Tonysounds]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
Originally Posted By: Tonysounds
One board rigs for me are an SK1 88 with my Integra.

Thatís what Iím trying to do for local gigs.
Plus the i7 would be a great spare/back up if a PC breaks down.
i7 has the best Brass Shakes around.
And Iíve got BBB, NI Session Pro, Screaming Trumpet and CHein Horns 2.

#2952647 - 10/11/18 04:59 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: hardware]
Fleer Offline

Loc: Boston/Cambridge
Iím thinking the new Yamaha MODX range should be perfect.
Also thinking to let go of my Roland FA in the process.

#2952653 - 10/11/18 06:08 PM Re: If you must gig with just one board... [Re: AnotherScott]
EricBarker Offline

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott
Personally, I count it as one board if you can leave any other pieces velcro'd in place so you can still move it as one unit.

I leave my Roli Seaboard 49 velcro'd to my Mojo... but I don't think that quite counts.

MacBook Pro running MainStage and various plugins (NI and other)
Arturia Keylab88, Crumar Mojo61, Seaboard Rise49, Vortex Keytar, Trumpet

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner