Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SP6

Coker

Yes you can assign sounds from external midi-sources. I have been playing around with doing just that using my D-05. Since there is plenty of room for it on the top I wanted to try and integrate some of its sounds into some multis. And Scott is correct, you can put more than one sound in a program. In fact many of the programs have a 'variation', pressing the variation button with the 9ft Grand adds a pad sound. Other variations add effects in programs. For a stage piano, it really is very flexible.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you press variation on the 9ft Grand it very clearly say 'Pad' and the bottom of the screen.

The manual states: "The VARIATION button has two states, off (not lit) and on (lit). The VARIATION button will typically modify the sound by adding an orchestral string section or synth pad layer, or enabling an effect

Excerpt From: SP6 Musician's Guide Rev B. iBooks.

That's 2 different samples Piano & Pad. I have not used the editor so I couldn't tell you how to create one. But it obviously can be done. What I have done is sent external midi to my D-05 to play 2 sounds in the same zone one internal and the other external. That's simple using the destination button. Getting the SP6 to select patches on the D-05 I haven't figured out yet. I need to get time to sit down and learn the editor.

UPDATE: Since I have my SP6 in the room I connected my iPad and fired up the app for the 1st time. Yes you can import layers and adjust the new layers using the app. Pressing 'import layer' brings up a dialog to allow you to select from layers in other programs and add them to your program. You can do things like add a pad and limit its key range. So yes you can create mutilayered programs. And used your new program as a zone in a multi. There is a video for the FORTE app on youtube the apps are very similar. The operation is pretty much exactly the same.

[video:youtube]

So my SP6 arrived today. Spent an hour with it tonight. Quick summary of initial impressions.

Weight is absolutely great.

Keyboard touch seems more than OK to me. Joined in a laid-back gig last night on a Roland RD800 which was probably nicer, but I think this will be fine. I'm coming from 40 years' gigging with 61 note synth action keyboards so I expect my fingers will get tired!

Piano sounds are stunning. EPs pretty good.

All the other sounds are top quality but I knew with only 256 programs there'd be stuff I couldn't find. So I loaded up the 1024 PC3 sound set (so easy to do), and there's just plenty in there for me, strings, organs, brass etc., even the one synth sound I need ...

I've read the manuals and as per recent discussions I'm sure you can only have 4 programs in a multi. If you can get more than one sound in a program that's too complicated for me and I won't need it.

I like the immediacy of the knobs to put a bit of reverb etc. on. I know this is less sophisticated than a lot of modern keys but plenty for me. I'm not interested in real-time twiddling.

1024 multis means I can use this in all three bands I'm currently working with.

So feeling very positive right now. I deserve 88 notes that I can lift at my age. But just as a rider this is the 7th board I've bought in the last 20 years and I'm still gigging with the first - my beloved Korg N364!

Wait - I thought you couldn't load samples - was the PC3 set programs or samples or both?

As I mentioned earlier, there is no user-loading of samples. However, the Programs you can load from other boards (like the PC3) may make use of samples that are resident on the SP6 but not currently used for the native SP6 programs.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Chris are the 1024 PC3 programs available for download anywhere on the Kurzweil website...I didn't find them per-say on any of the PC3 Download pages there?

All the other sounds are top quality but I knew with only 256 programs there'd be stuff I couldn't find. So I loaded up the 1024 PC3 sound set (so easy to do), and there's just plenty in there for me, strings, organs, brass etc., even the one synth sound I need ...

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

For those of you looking to get the PC3 sound set in your SP6, I went to:

http://kurzweil.com/product/pc3/downloads/

Then I clicked on:

PC3 v2.21 Update - 5.5 MB

Click Open, then save PC3OB212.PC3 on your computer, copy to a memory stick/thumb drive, then follow the instructions in the Musician's Guide, Global Mode, File Page, Load a File from a USB Device (page 6-8). It's not intuitive but it's really easy. As discussed earlier in this thread it's odd that Kurzweil don't promote this.

I read somewhere that the PC3 programs dont match the SP6 is exactly, which might be why Kurzweil doesnt promote this (yet). I downloaded the programs awhile ago and found that some programs had some strange effects that seemed inconsistent with the intent of the program.
CA93, MODX8, YC88, K8.2

Hi,

If you are loading the PC3 Object set, just select the Programs, nothing else. Because if you end up loading the Sample headers, those will point to different addresses in sample memory between the 2 products and many things will sound bad.

If you get JUST the programs, they should be mostly OK.

I would recommend to get the Forte SE programs at KSETLIST as those will just work. http://ksetlist.com/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=2843

Regards,

Fran

I already had A Gator Slimline 88 softshell with wheels.... others have mentioned it fits perfectly, it has the tie down straps to keep it steady in there....it really does fit very well in that one...try around for best price...! Gator Slim 88 w/wheels

Can anyone recommend a lightweight bag (probably with wheels) for the SP6? I found this on Amazon, but technically it's 14mm too short by depth, and 6mm by height...

https://www.amazon.com/Fusion-F3-25-12-Wheels-Keyboard/dp/B003NX3A1W

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Well I loaded PC3OB212.PC3. Don't know if that includes Sample headers, whatever they are (or anything else - multis etc.?), but I tried out all 1024 sounds, albeit very quickly. I was actually very impressed. Nothing untowards jumped out at me.

How would you load just the programs? Presumably if you chose 'Some' you'd have to specify all 1024 individually?

So on my PC2R, I'm able to take a single drum sound and spread it over several keys so I could play a bass progression with an identical drum hit on each note - I think the setting was "keymap = constant"- Can the SP-6 do this?

Thanks!

K2500X, SP-6, various K1xxx, Kurz MicroPiano