Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2938700 - 07/20/18 11:51 AM Seventh of Never
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Well here it is! The long awaited release of the CD just finished with the Metal project I joined this past year.

Seventh of Never

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

KC Island
#2938717 - 07/20/18 02:11 PM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: J. Dan]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
"with the addition of keyboardist-extraordinaire Dan Elze" cool thu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2938851 - 07/22/18 01:47 AM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: Bone Muskeleton]
Cower, Boy! NQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Congratulations on the CD, Dan. They wrote some great things about you in the welcome aboard spiel too - nice!

#2938998 - 07/23/18 09:00 AM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: Cower, Boy! NQ]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

LOL, I know - can you tell that the songwriter is happy to finally have a keyboard player? Looking forward to having a more active role on the next one. Most of the clips on the site don't feature much keyboards. I have a few prominent piano parts and a synth solo as well as some more atmospheric intros and sound effects, they just aren't in the sample clips.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2941265 - 08/04/18 12:39 AM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: J. Dan]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Sounds really good Dan. Too bad there aren’t more keys in the samples. Guess I have to buy the record to hear your metal chops!

Good luck with the band!

#2941329 - 08/04/18 12:54 PM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: RudyS]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: RudyS
Sounds really good Dan. Too bad there aren’t more keys in the samples. Guess I have to buy the record to hear your metal chops!

Good luck with the band!

I would love it if you did!!! Thanks. First gig since the CD (and my 2nd gig with them) is in just under 2 weeks. We're considering it a dress rehearsal and will have an official CD release party later, since it's at a relatively small place with 2 other bands and not good production.

Most of the songs have keyboard sort of ambient intros that aren't very interesting but sound cool. I have a pretty kicking synth solo in Stolen Valor. I have a piano outro on Blessed Curses. I have a nice little piano interlude in the middle of Anointed 1.0. There's some kind of cool organ during the guitar solos in Beginning of the End. Evolution has a fair amount of keys including quite a bit of synth and other effects at the very end. I came into this after most of it was already written so it was a bit difficult to tastefully find my place. I think the next one will have far more keyboards. I'm taking some lessons online with Derek Sherinian as well, so hopefully on the next one, my metal chops and sounds will be in full force!

Edited by J. Dan (08/04/18 12:59 PM)

#2945042 - 08/25/18 02:47 PM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: J. Dan]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

It's on Spotify now. So if anybody would like to hear entire songs or the entire album, you can listen to it there. (The Beginning of) The End, Anointed 1.0, and Stolen Valor have more prominent keyboard parts than just the strings and ambient stuff - Stolen Valor actually has a keyboard solo.

#2946861 - 09/06/18 10:46 AM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: J. Dan]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Sorry to keep bumping this, but this is my first real experience releasing anything original and it's all kind of exciting. The BL just tagged me on FB with some of the analytics from the release:

Originally Posted By: RT
Outside the U.S. and Canada, we’ve been downloaded in The Netherlands, Czech Republic, India, Ireland, UK, France, Brazil, Sweden, Spain and Italy!

And that's not counting all of the illegal free download sites where we don't have analytics, LOL.

Last live show sold lots of merch. Not sure how the sales are going of physical CD's at the local record stores, but I know we've sold some.

Edited by J. Dan (09/06/18 10:47 AM)
Edit Reason: No Autocorrect, I DID mean "Merch" not "March". Learn your damn slang!

#2946865 - 09/06/18 10:51 AM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: J. Dan]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

cool thu

#2946973 - 09/07/18 02:42 AM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: Bone Muskeleton]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Cool Dan! Let me know when you guys do a tour in Europe (Netherlands)!

I listened to the album on Spotify. Sounds really good. Too bad there is not too much keys involved as you described above. Still sounds very professional with good players and singer!

Good luck!

#2947112 - 09/07/18 05:20 PM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: RudyS]
nursers Offline
10k Club

Loc: Australia
Just listened now on Spotify, sounds great!

#2947340 - 09/09/18 03:05 PM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: nursers]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

Thanks guys! Next CD will have lots more keys. Most of this one was already written before I joined so I was struggling to work in parts that enhanced the music rather than compete with it. Overall, though I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, especially considering we recorded and mixed it down ourselves without spending money on anything but mastering and CD duplication.

Edited by J. Dan (09/09/18 03:06 PM)

#2949198 - 09/19/18 09:45 PM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: J. Dan]
slaygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Sounds like the real deal JDan, congrats! There are fans of this kind of music all over the world, you might find yourself touring northern Europe, they go shit crazy for this stuff

#2950368 - 09/27/18 08:27 PM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: slaygetter]
J. Dan Offline
10k Club

We're RICH!!!!! We've already made $11.48 from streaming services! That's almost $2 each! facepalm

#2950483 - 09/28/18 10:41 AM Re: Seventh of Never [Re: J. Dan]
Bone Muskeleton Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

w00t