Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Can we just get a Music Movie/Documentary Megathread?

• 1 month later...

• 2 months later...

Just saw the premiere of Chasing Trane on PBS. I thought it was very well done. The movie is about Trane's life and the inspiration for his music, so it would be equally accessible I would think for a casual listener as to a musician or jazz fan.

It looks like there will only be three more showings over the air on PBS, all this week; catch it while you can.

http://www.coltranefilm.com

http://www.pbs.org/video/chasing-trane-the-john-coltrane-documentary-qdjjnd/

Just watched Deep Purple's "From Here To Infinite," a documentary of the rehearsing and recording of their new album. Special to me as one of my dearest friends played on their last album, also produced by Bob Ezrin. It's a joy to watch a bunch of old men rock HARD, and an education watching Ezrin conduct. I'd put it on a must watch list.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Ella Fitzgerald - Something to Live For (2000)

First Gravy - Journeys of the Hammond Organ *see below

MC5 - A True Testimonial

Jim Pepper - Pepper's Pow Wow (1996)

Texas Tenor - The Illinois Jacquet Story

Trane Tracks - The Legacy of John Coltrane

Classic Albums

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- Cream ~ Disraeli Gears

- Fleetwood Mac ~ Rumors (1997)

- Frank Zappa ~ Apostrophe and Over-Nite Sensation (2007)

- Jimi Hendrix ~ Electric Ladyland (2010)

- Lou Reed ~ Transformer

- Motorhead ~ The Ace of Spades (2005)

- Nirvana ~ Nevermind (1991)

- Paul Simon ~ Graceland

- Queen ~ Opera

- Sex Pistols ~ Never Mind the Bollocks (2002)

- Steely Dan ~ Aja (2006)

- Stevie Wonder ~ Songs In The Key Of Life

- The Beach Boys ~ Pet Sounds

- The Doors

- Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers ~ Damn the Torpedoes

[video:youtube]

HBO just started running Napoleon Dynamite again. Very catchy music, like a home organ and a Bossa Nova accompaniment.

The 80s-sounding song at the end credits is great. I didnt know this song in the 80s.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• 1 month later...
Bring on the Night is fantastic. If only for "Driven to Tears" alone.

thanks for reviving this thread, Phillip. I was fortunate enough to have seen Sting on the "Dream of the Blue Turtles" tour, with Kenny Kirkland on piano and Branford Marsalis on saxaphone. I was still in my 20's and didn't realize at the time how special this show was. I certainly do now. :cool:

:nopity:

• 4 years later...

Big Star - Nothing Can Hurt Me

Unless I missed it, I don't think this one's been mentioned yet.  Introduced me to a band I hadn't heard of, and which I really enjoy.

Hell, until I saw it, I didn't even know tha the singer of The Letter was a white 16-year-old kid. 

On 5/7/2017 at 12:29 PM, nadroj said:

Genesis: Together and Apart (2014)

This was on TV over here last night, watched it with my wife. We both loved it, and we're not even huge Genesis fans.

As a result we've been listening to Genesis all day. Worth a watch if you haven't seen it. For our friends overseas the BBC link probably won't work, so just google the name and you should find something.

That's terrific! Genesis: The Sum of the Parts is AFAIK, the same BBC documentary, available on Prime Video with a Qello subscription. So if you don't have BBC but you do have Prime?  👍

The new King Crimson Documentary is going to stream live this weekend, I bought an advance ticket to the streaming event, and pre-ordered the Blue-Ray/DVD box. Yeah, I am that big of a fan. I did not get a chance to see the "new" Krimson in person, but have avidly followed the albums and films of the tours.

image.thumb.png.5eed807c967be1b8201d6f27bf4c763b.png

https://www.nugs.net/live-download-of-king-crimson-in-the-court-of-the-crimson-king.-king-crimson-at-50.-london-gb-10-22-2022-mp3-flac-or-online-music-streaming/30177-WEBCAST.html

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

On 9/13/2014 at 4:10 PM, Joe Muscara said:

Then I would include That Thing You Do by Tom Hanks in his directorial debut.

Highly underrated IMO. Not that I'm saying "best movie ever" or any such thing but just a very well-done movie. i.e. typical Hanks. He even co-wrote some of the original songs.

Still browsing the thread but doubt I have anything additional to offer

• Like 1