Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interesting look at the Van Halen Keys setup from OU812 tour

Here's an interesting clip from a Japanese documentary on VH during the end of their OU812 tour. Towards the end, there is a quick rig rundown from they keyboard tech. It is a surprisingly complex setup. I can see at least 3 Oberheims (OB8 I assume), 2 DX-7s, 2 D-50s, 2 Roland sequencers and he references 21 some odd modules.

Having seen that show, I recall, the only thing on stage was a KX-88. Eddie would play parts (like the intro to Mine all Mine, or When it's love), then move over to guitar, with the sequencer taking over. And other times he would play a whole song...like Why can't this be love. Kinda cool to see this, as there isn't a lot of VH keys info out there.

Go to 13:28 for keys

[video:youtube]

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes - I assume they could easily slap a controller on stage running mainstage backstage and cover all their needs. However, playing with Sammy gave him a little more flexibility with a second guitarist in the band.

Funny aside - I remember on the 5150 tour, his controller was a K250, MIDI'd to his OBs and whatever else back stage. In the Live Without a Net vid you can clearly see he has 2 keys removed (basically to define the 61 key area in the middle that he needed to stick to). I would have love to know how that decision was made.."Let's just mark 'em with tape....Nope, he's way to drunk to notice...just remove the damn keys."

I don't know what this is doing on this forum. The section in the video is clearly about "Keybourds," not to be confused with keygourds.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Ive always liked the keys on 5150, some tasty stuff. Does anyone know the source of that bright piano on the studio recording of Dreams? Was it the K250? K250 + Synth/Module? A real piano? Cool video, too.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

While we're on the topic of "Dreams" (one of my favorite VH songs)...if anyone is interested in learning it, here is an "instructional cover" (i.e. overhead view) I did a few years ago:

I checked the forum rules, but couldn't find anything against posting this sort of thing. If it is against the rules, please let me know and I will gladly remove it. :-)

Ive always liked the keys on 5150, some tasty stuff. Does anyone know the source of that bright piano on the studio recording of Dreams? Was it the K250? K250 + Synth/Module? A real piano? Cool video, too.

It sounds sampled, just because it's so damn bright and hammer heavy...but he favors that kind of sound. I know on later albums, he used his grand in the studio. But, in the early days of the 5150 studio, the tracking room was way too small to fit a piano..hell, they couldn't even set up the full drum set (interesting aside - on 1984, much of the cymbals were recorded as overdubs).

I checked the forum rules, but couldn't find anything against posting this sort of thing. If it is against the rules, please let me know and I will gladly remove it. :-)

My take is that you`re 100% on topic and instructional videos are always a great contribution to the forum. :like:

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

I remember Eddie once saying that they used electronic drums on the first album(s) they did at 5150 because they don't have room for a real kit. I think Eddie said, "that was bullshit" to which I thought, "but it's your studio, dude!"

IIRC, later I read that he didn't intend 5150 to be the band studio originally, it was just for him, and after a few years he rebuilt it so the full band could properly record in there.

While the Wikipedia entry about it doesn't say that explicitly, it does seem to line up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_Studios

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

He talked a lot about the studio in the Guitar Player article commemorating the 30 year anniversary of 1984. Indeed it was intended to be a demo studio. Much of 1984 wasn't even recorded with the intent of it being released as such...but he praised his engineer, who re-wired a shitty console which only he had the magic to make really sound good.

In addition, he intended to record Jump on his Prophet 10, but it kept blowing fuses and smoking...someone recommended the Oberheim and the rest is history.

It sounds sampled, just because it's so damn bright and hammer heavy...but he favors that kind of sound. I know on later albums, he used his grand in the studio. But, in the early days of the 5150 studio, the tracking room was way too small to fit a piano..hell, they couldn't even set up the full drum set (interesting aside - on 1984, much of the cymbals were recorded as overdubs).

Thanks ABECK, makes sense. Ive always liked the sound of the piano on that tune, great for a rock context.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Not to denigrate Van Halen keys, I think they were the best selling VH albums? But I prefer VH with David Lee Roth, and I prefer Sammy Hagar with Montrose. The

album is one of the top 3 rock records of all time, virtually every song is a classic.

I may be alone on this, my apologies for the distraction, please carry on!

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I only found out recently that when Van Halen got together with Ted Templeman to produce the first album, they told him they wanted to sound like Montrose!

I remember reading an article with VH in the short-lived Keyboard World magazine around the time of 5150. Steve Porcaro was a close friend of Eddies and helped design the keyboard rig he used in the studio, but I am not sure if this same rig translated to the stage.
Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Kronos 61, Casio PX-5S, Yamaha DXR 10 (2)), Neo Vent, Yamaha MG82cx mixer and too many stands to name.

I remember reading an article with VH in the short-lived Keyboard World magazine around the time of 5150. Steve Porcaro was a close friend of Eddies and helped design the keyboard rig he used in the studio, but I am not sure if this same rig translated to the stage.
Eddie may have been the cover of the first issue of that magazine, and I believe I have a copy on my shelves somewhere.

Not to denigrate Van Halen keys, I think they were the best selling VH albums? But I prefer VH with David Lee Roth, and I prefer Sammy Hagar with Montrose. The
album is one of the top 3 rock records of all time, virtually every song is a classic.

I may be alone on this, my apologies for the distraction, please carry on!

Shockingly few votes for the Gary Cherone era.

I preferred Eddies guitar work and songs through the early VH - which David Lee Clowncar was fortunate enough to ride along with. I thought the Sammy era was a much more musical band.

As a young lad, i couldn attend a backyard kegger without the band ripping into Rock Candy. About every 3 months, ill search up a video of Bad Motor Scooter on my phone and follow my daughter around the house, annoying her. Montrose was that important, kids need to learn history!

Sorry - further digression adds nothing to this thread. Ill be going now ...

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Shockingly few votes for the Gary Cherone era.
When that was announced, I thought it had a lot of potential. I was very disappointed by how much Cherone seemed to just scream on VHIII (which was a great title, BTW).

Musically, I thought that album was terrible and later comments by Sammy revealed why, along with things I heard the band say during an album release party on the radio. Eddie writes great riffs, but he doesn't write songs. It takes someone else to help him piece together bits and structure things into songs. I guess Gary didn't do that. On top of that, during that radio show, the band was praising Mike Post* as their producer. They said Mike would show up, ask if everything was cool, they said yeah, and that was it. And Mike Post, producing a VH album??? Come on.

I have since found that album isn't terrible if it's background you're not paying attention to. It has good bits, Eddie is playing guitar, the rhythm is cool, but don't go looking for good songs.

They might have been good live, though. I've had this track around for ages and thought it was pretty cool.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrCWqOC673Y

Whole concert here

The

You are correct, sir.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

My take is that you`re 100% on topic and instructional videos are always a great contribution to the forum. :like:

What this man said - love vids like that

For grins, here's a screen shot of EVH playing the intro to 'When It's Love' on a KX88.

I have no idea what he's controlling. Below that I put a link to the video. Jump ahead to 38:30

Wkl34i.png

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTehiJp-QE&index=1&list=RDzMTehiJp-QE

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I remember reading an article with VH in the short-lived Keyboard World magazine around the time of 5150.
Eddie may have been the cover of the first issue of that magazine, and I believe I have a copy on my shelves somewhere.

Yup, I have that issue. That magazine didn't last long.

I remember seeing that in my local music store - kick myself for never buying it. I recall flipping through a bit - seem to remember something about Eddie using the K250 to sample from some of his other keyboards.

IIRC he had a football shirt on in the cover pic (though, that totally could be a made up memory...im old.)

Yep, I still have it.

http://bluefunk.rocks/NonBandPictures/EVH/IMG_2033.jpg

Here's the page about his rig and some stuff about Steve Porcaro that ElectroFan remembered.

http://bluefunk.rocks/NonBandPictures/EVH/IMG_2034.jpg

Note all the dust - I assume that is because the 5150 studio is in-fact one large ash tray.
I remember one article where the writer went there to hear the album and he described exactly that. The console was covered, IIRC.

Don't know where the football shirt memory came from????
I'm guessing another interview/article from the era, but I don't know which.

There's an old VH video where they were playing against audio tracks instead of MIDI (might have been Jump), that the system malfunctioned and playing out of tune, and Eddie was transposing the song trying (and failing) to match the pitch.

It's been a while, I'll try to find the video.

1984 and 5150 were in my teens. All keyboard players were learning these tunes.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760