Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2937429 - 07/11/18 06:31 PM What holds up your music on top of your keyboard?
jeffw_00 Offline

I'm sure there are threads about this but I'm not finding the right search words. Most controllers (and slab digital pianos), don't have anything built-in to support a music stand. (My music is in an 8.5" x 11" x 1" 3-ring binder). I've jury-rigged some things over the years, but I'm wondering if there is something better (maybe a 3rd party thing that clamps on the back somehow?) I know some manufacturers make things that fit specific models, but has anyone come across a good generic approach?

Many thanks!
/j

KC Island
#2937435 - 07/11/18 07:11 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: jeffw_00]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
I use a Manhasset M48.

Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2937439 - 07/11/18 07:43 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: WesG]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Tired of dealing with numerous multi-page pdf printouts, I finally constructed this custom built high capacity stand of my own design. There's stuff taped and tacked to the reverse side, too.

I'll be accepting a limited number of orders on a first-come, first-serve basis. . .

#2937441 - 07/11/18 07:52 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: WesG]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: WesG
I use a Manhasset M48.

Thatís exactly what I use at home. I donít use stands live. At home often the stand is hard holding my iPad with a playlist and/or ASD. That or a chart iíve Scribbled.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2937443 - 07/11/18 07:57 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: J. Dan]
Raymb1 Offline

Loc: Sterling, VA
All the music I use is in a tablet. I use this holder on a mic stand.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...nd-thread-mount

#2937444 - 07/11/18 07:57 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: J. Dan]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

Loc: Michigan
I use the same Manhasset pictured above but I added a "clutch" to it to hold heavy binders of sheet music. They sell this clutch as an accessory.
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2937447 - 07/11/18 08:07 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: Polkahero]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Errr, can't help here. Everything I play is either committed to memory, or improvised. Those little dots on the page aren't my friend in a live situation.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2937457 - 07/11/18 09:09 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: cphollis]
ksoper Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Murfreesboro,TN,UNITED STATES
K&M 10068.

#2937458 - 07/11/18 09:32 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: cphollis]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: cphollis
Errr, can't help here. Everything I play is either committed to memory, or improvised. Those little dots on the page aren't my friend in a live situation.

Count me in also!

#2937460 - 07/11/18 10:05 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: jeffw_00]
clpete Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Oregon
A needed a music stand a couple of months ago, so I made one with some scrap wood I had. I fastened a piece of ABS pipe on the back to slide over a speaker stand. This is for the home studio only. Live I never use a music stand. I will use chord charts on 4 x 6 index cards held with a clip to the top keyboard.

#2937467 - 07/11/18 11:45 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: clpete]
Quai34 Online   content

Loc: Canada, MB
I use this:
http://accessories.yorkville.com/stands_accessories/music_stands/product/bs-308/
Same thing roughly, my goal is to buy the Ipad 12.9 and to have everthing on the Ipad...I cannot read anything on the normal size...And yes, most of the song I know them by heart but in case...I feel safer if i have something ready even if finally I don't use it that much...
Stage 2, C2 & NL2X+TC Pedals, Prophet 08 & 12+Tetra&H9, D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200& 2605.

#2937491 - 07/12/18 04:35 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: Quai34]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
In the not very often event that I need a chord chart or cheat sheet, I use a magnetic chip clip on top of the keyboard. I use the same to hold my set list.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2937494 - 07/12/18 05:22 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: DanL]
jeffw_00 Offline

I was hoping for something that just attached to the slab that would be small/portable. Guess there isn't anything like that out there. :-(

Thanks though
/j

#2937510 - 07/12/18 07:18 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: jeffw_00]
Coker Offline

Loc: Connecticut
I found that the music rest that attached to the back of my keyboard shook back and forth as I played, so now use a separate floor stand behind the piano. I use a Hercules BS100B, which is surprisingly sturdy, yet lightweight and folds up quickly into my gig bag.

#2937512 - 07/12/18 07:38 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: DanL]
Moonglow Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Northwest Indiana
Originally Posted By: DanL
In the not very often event that I need a chord chart or cheat sheet, I use a magnetic chip clip on top of the keyboard. I use the same to hold my set list.

Brilliant! twothumbs

Iím playing outdoor festivals with three different bands this summer and donít have all of the tunes committed to memory, so I need some cheat sheets. Seems this would help keep them from flying away in windy conditions.

#2937538 - 07/12/18 09:02 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: Moonglow]
jeffw_00 Offline

Coker - what did you use when you had it attached to your keyboard?

Thanks!
/j

#2937539 - 07/12/18 09:06 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: cphollis]
vonnor Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Centreville, VA USA
Errr, can't help here. Everything I play is either committed to memory, or improvised...

I'm with Chuck.

#2937542 - 07/12/18 09:14 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: jeffw_00]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: jeffw_00
but has anyone come across a good generic approach?

wink

#2937604 - 07/12/18 12:02 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: jeffw_00]
Coker Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Jeffw, I was just using the stock music rest for the keyboard.

#2937625 - 07/12/18 02:25 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: Coker]
Jazzmammal Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Redondo Beach, CA
Cute Sven. Look, if somebody is and has been a full time music pro for years then sure you have learned and performed tons and tons of stuff and will know most of it. I was that guy 40 years ago in Vegas. Three shows a night, six nights a week with 3-4 rehearsals a week. I did that for 7 years. Was it all in my head? Of course. Fast forward for me and a whole lot of us on this forum.

This was me last week, this week and on July 28th:

Setlist for Catalina on July 3rd and 4th. The 3rd was the yacht club and the 4th was just off the beach playing an hour and a half before the Independence Day parade and an hour after and then a different outdoor evening gig with this same list. Some of these tunes were at one gig some at the other venues with guest singers, two bass players and two drummers depending on the songs:

Horse with no name
All Right Now
American Girl
Bang a Gong
Brick House
Brown Sugar
Call Me
Come together
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
Fly Like an Eagle
Free Fallin
Freebird
Freeway Jam
From The Beginning
Good Lovin
Hogbottom
Hold on I'm Comin
Honky Tonk Woman
I Want You
Keep Your Hat On
Midnight Hour
Just Like Heaven
Knock On Wood
LA Woman
The Letter
Light My Fire
Little Help From My Friends
Little Wing
Low Spark of High Heeled Boys
Mary Jane's Last Dance
Melissa
Miss You
Party till the cows come home
Positively 4th Street
Radar Love
Satisfaction
Smoke on the water
Smooth
Spill the Wine
Sultans of Swing
Sympathy for the Devil
What's Going On
White Wedding
Wild Horses

Now, some of these are not in their original keys, some I've never done before and some I hadn't done for years. How many of you genius's here including you Sven have all these memorized and can just throw it out there in a new key on the spot? If someone gives you six months to work up theses great, I usually get a week if I'm lucky then I'll get a call the day before saying oh by the way we're doing this, and this and maybe this. Oh, and that one is in Ab if you don't mind.

Next is tomorrow for a great bass player friend of mine whose wife's birthday is tomorrow. She's from Puerto Rico and loves all that latin stuff plus some classic rock. I'm not going to post the list but other than Smooth and You Are The Sunshine of My Life I've never heard of any of them. I have a 3 ring binder to work this stuff up which I've been doing but with the gigs last week no time to commit these to memory especially since I'll probably never do most of them again anyway.

Next. On the 28th. Girl jazz singer with special arrangements of several Real Book tunes but not stock and most in different keys. I personally created these charts but I work with her like once maybe twice a year. Some I have down cold some I need a little help.

This thread is asking a very valid question as far as I'm concerned. I'm not the guy who just shows up and fakes stuff. People expect certain things from the keys player. Correct intros, certain licks, certain sounds, certain solo's.

For me I just bought an Amazon Fire HD 10.1 just for chart management. I have iRealPro on it plus a very nice app called Fakebook Pro. I took the tablet to Catalina last week and it worked great. Since my friend gave me the binder for the birthday party tomorrow I'll just use that with my stand, the upcoming jazz gig with the girl I'm putting those charts into the Fire.

Bob

#2937626 - 07/12/18 02:30 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: Jazzmammal]
jeffw_00 Offline

Coker- I assume your unit came with (as accessory) stand fitted for that unit. Thanks

Still wondering if there's anything generic out there. Thanks!

#2937631 - 07/12/18 02:54 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: Raymb1]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted By: Raymb1

This is exactly what I do - it's in my profile pic on the left (until I change it at Halloween)

I use a music stand similar but not identical to the one used by WesG for rehearsal and practice.

#2937648 - 07/12/18 06:36 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: CowboyNQ]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Hmmm... I'm having difficulty trying to embed the pic, so I just put a link below. I use an iPad mounted to a holder attached to my keyboard stand.

https://imgur.com/Tb8Z5s0

... and for the snooty amongst you that frown on charts... I play in 6 bands, do fill-ins & pick-up gigs & play at church. I'm 57 years old & killed a few too many brain cells in younger days. I make no apology for needing a cheat sheet from time to time. That plus, I send program changes from my charts because I also can't remember patch numbers for all those songs for all those bands. That being said, I'm typically the first one ready for the next song in every band I play in. Technology is my crutch friend. laugh

Edited by mcgoo (07/12/18 06:43 PM)
Edit Reason: added my snarky afterthought

#2937651 - 07/12/18 07:13 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: mcgoo]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Originally Posted By: mcgoo
Hmmm... I'm having difficulty trying to embed the pic...

I was going to go ahead and embed it for you, but when I previewed it was humongous and would have blown up the thread. If imgur will allow you to make a smaller version, I'll help you embed smile

Note: i generally try to keep under 900px width - that seems to work ok

Edited by J. Dan (07/12/18 07:14 PM)

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2937660 - 07/12/18 07:50 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: J. Dan]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Look, not trying to diss those among us who play in many bands, and have endlessly changing set lists. Lord knows, I've been there.

That being said, the best performance experiences for *me* have been when everything comes out of local memory. Yes, it drives all the other musos nutso when I don't have lead sheets, etc. Some of them can't really comprehend what I'm trying to do.

But that's how I try to work.

It's sort of a big deal for me. Know the material, or don't bother. Not always achievable, but a goal of mine.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2937672 - 07/12/18 09:33 PM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: cphollis]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
I wish I could read music, then I could put music in front. Sometimes I wouldn't mind having a teleprompter though.

#2937687 - 07/13/18 02:38 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: cphollis]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Look, not trying to diss those among us who play in many bands, and have endlessly changing set lists. Lord knows, I've been there.

That being said, the best performance experiences for *me* have been when everything comes out of local memory.

I agree with that and in many cases I don't need the chart (other than letting it call up patch changes). I just find that it's not practical to memorize everything when I play in as many different situations as I do, some which aren't regular (meaning, having LOTS of repetition)

Know the material, or don't bother.

Well, that's nice, but I feel like I'd work less if that was a pre-requisite. My two cents culled my experience ailing memory.

#2937694 - 07/13/18 04:52 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: cphollis]
bennyray Offline
Gold Member

That being said, the best performance experiences for *me* have been when everything comes out of local memory. Yes, it drives all the other musos nutso when I don't have lead sheets, etc. Some of them can't really comprehend what I'm trying to do.

But that's how I try to work.

It's sort of a big deal for me. Know the material, or don't bother. Not always achievable, but a goal of mine.

When I was gigging alot that was my goal also.

#2937702 - 07/13/18 06:45 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: bennyray]
Rusty Mike Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Central NJ
Put me in the category of someone who doesn't/can't memorize all the music. I am unapologetically feeble. Even when I was gigging professionally, I always had cheat sheets. Back in the 80's it was awkward, but nowadays my iPad is my lifesaver. Everything is in there: big band charts, fake books, custom written charts/notes and song lists.

A lot of musicians have tablets as part of their rig for various reasons. They are small and barely noticeable. What's great for me is that I can have my music, and still maintain a very unobtrusive look.

Maybe it's a genre thing. Rock and pop musicians don't use music when performing, at least not visibly anyway. Although I can recall seeing Beach Boys special, and Brian Wilson had a display screen built into his piano shell. I think Billy Joel had something similar, but I cannot be positive. My point is that musicians at every level rely on music charts to varying degrees; some are just less obvious about it.

I don't think I've ever seen a jazz musician who was shy about putting a piece of music up on a stand. But I do know of jazz jam sessions where music is not allowed. Eh, whatever.

Back on topic.

For the big bands, I use the Nord Music rest that attaches to the Stage. It's handy, as it fits in the pocket of the keyboard bag. Quick setup, easy peasy. Using the iPad makes for a neat presentation, efficient access and a guarantee I will also have the appropriate music with me. I need the larger music rest, however, as both MD's tend to hand out one-offs and trial charts, so I have to be ready to accommodate the occasional 8-page behemoth.

For the fusion and combo stuff, I have a Hercules iPad mount, and will connect it either to a music stand tripod, mic stand or brackets that attach to my keyboard stand. The brackets are a bit of an improvised kit, but they are small and can be thrown into a bag, making less stuff to carry. Almost all the fusion stuff is memorized, so I rely on it less, but I also keep notes about which programs to call up for particular tunes.

#2937773 - 07/13/18 11:03 AM Re: What holds up your music on top of your keyboard? [Re: Raymb1]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
Originally Posted By: Raymb1

If this is the same one, itís currently 20% off at that friendly place.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/km-universal-tablet-holder-mic-stand-mnt

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner