Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2937379 - 07/11/18 12:19 PM Basic Keyboard Stand...
llatham Offline

Edit: oops I forgot, it's a Roland FA -06 - 61 key - pretty light comparatively speaking.

I've got a 2 tier Pro Line X that I paid $99 for so I'm really looking for something like $50 bucks - otherwise I'll just pack up the Proline and use it.

Besides having the 2nd tier, it was never the perfect height but I found out if I put one of my guitar cases across it then the keyboard on top it was exactly the right height.

So I was hoping to find something that had a few more adjustment points.

The pin on the stand rounded off and I ended up putting tape across it so it couldn't spread any further (had on on stage collapse once) and drilled an extra hole for a caribiner to go though so it would never slip again.

The mechanism was nice, but obviously failed, so something that maybe is a little more road-worthy would be nice - I know that's probably impossible for $50 but I'm absolutely going to put the tape across the cross bars so it won't possibly open up any further if the mechanism fails.

Plus I've got other keyboards at home on it and hate to have to keep breaking that down and setting it up every time I have a gig.

Brands you've been happy with for budget single tier (double braced) X stands? Brands to avoid? Some of them are so cheap now - a $25 one would be great but at that price it scares me. The Pro Line was actually pretty darn sturdy aside from the pin issue, but easily solved. On Stage? Quick Lock?

Thoughts on this?

https://www.amazon.com/RockJam-Heavy-Dut...6495&sr=1-1

I like the "infinitely adjustable" thing (but cheap, plastic, and experience says those things never work like you expect them to)

I know someone (or all of you :-) will say "I'd never put my $3,000 keyboard on that and I'm with you.

Luckily I should only be on stages where there's no risk of bumping, and as long as I have the "emergency tape" on it, any mechanism failures won't end in heartbreak.

Edited by llatham (07/11/18 01:01 PM)

KC Island
#2937380 - 07/11/18 12:26 PM Re: Basic Keyboard Stand... [Re: llatham]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
Originally Posted By: llatham
I've got a 2 tier Pro Line X that I paid $99 for so I'm really looking for something like $50 bucks - otherwise I'll just pack up the Proline and use it.

Besides having the 2nd tier, it was never the perfect height but I found out if I put one of my guitar cases across it then the keyboard on top it was exactly the right height.

So I was hoping to find something that had a few more adjustment points.

The pin on the stand rounded off and I ended up putting tape across it so it couldn't spread any further (had on on stage collapse once) and drilled an extra hole for a caribiner to go though so it would never slip again.

The mechanism was nice, but obviously failed, so something that maybe is a little more road-worthy would be nice - I know that's probably impossible for $50 but I'm absolutely going to put the tape across the cross bars so it won't possibly open up any further if the mechanism fails.

Plus I've got other keyboards at home on it and hate to have to keep breaking that down and setting it up every time I have a gig.

Brands you've been happy with for budget single tier (double braced) X stands? Brands to avoid? Some of them are so cheap now - a $25 one would be great but at that price it scares me. The Pro Line was actually pretty darn sturdy aside from the pin issue, but easily solved. On Stage? Quick Lock?

Thoughts on this?

https://www.amazon.com/RockJam-Heavy-Dut...6495&sr=1-1

I like the "infinitely adjustable" thing.

I know someone (or all of you :-) will say "I'd never put my $3,000 keyboard on that and I'm with you.

Luckily I should only be on stages where there's no risk of bumping, and as long as I have the "emergency tape" on it, any mechanism failures won't end in heartbreak.

I don't have a double-braced X stand, only a single-braced one. But generally On-Stage stuff is good. That's what both my x-stand and two-tier Z stand are.

Something that might help others would be knowing what keyboard/what weight of keyboard is going to be used on the stand.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2937383 - 07/11/18 01:02 PM Re: Basic Keyboard Stand... [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
llatham Offline

Oops thanks - I added the keyboard to the original post.

I actually worry about a single brace getting damaged itself in transportation - in the trailer, in transport, getting thrown around with mic stands, and so on than I do about it supporting the weight!

#2937461 - 07/11/18 10:17 PM Re: Basic Keyboard Stand... [Re: llatham]
SynMike Offline

FA-06 is very light. It seems odd, but a lightweight stand can tend to dance around a bit with just a light synth on top. Sometimes a slightly heavier synth actually makes the stand more stable. I own an FA-06. It's okay on a cheap X stand. But I find it is more stable on a Z style keyboard stand. The Z style takes a bit longer to set up or tear down so I use the X-stand when I'm in a hurry.

Search Amazon for Z Keyboard Stand and you'll find a couple in your price range.

Edited by SynMike (07/11/18 10:19 PM)
- Member, MIDI Manufacturers Association Technical Standards Board

#2937669 - 07/12/18 09:20 PM Re: Basic Keyboard Stand... [Re: llatham]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: llatham
Luckily I should only be on stages where there's no risk of bumping

Unless the bumping is from yourself. I don't have any stats on this, but I think the main reason for keyboard stand failure due to bumping comes from the keyboardist him / herself bumping into their own boards? Try checking into table stands, they are more stable. Once you try them you may not go back to the x stands.

#2940884 - 08/02/18 04:09 AM Re: Basic Keyboard Stand... [Re: waygetter]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
Donít forget Standtastic.
You adjust the height and angle you want your Axe on, then tighten the stand.
Iíve used 2, 3 and more recently single tier shorty.
They can hold up to 3 heavy 88 note Controllers or stage pianos.

Iím always compelled to share my 20 years of happiness with these stands.

#2940921 - 08/02/18 07:27 AM Re: Basic Keyboard Stand... [Re: hardware]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I wouldn't use a stand that has teeth or friction mechanisms. Make sure it has a solid pin to lock it in place. Also look at the welds. Some of the cheaper ones just have spot welds rather than solid continuous welds at the joints. Make sure the bars at the floor end of the stand are longer than the ones at the keyboard end to avoid tipping. Stay away from no name brands. I've never had an X stand collapse, but I've had the teeth style joint of a second tier get messed up and/or slip making it difficult to get the 2nd tier into a stable, level position. The fancier the mechanism the more likely it will fail, IMHO. I have an old Ultra double braced X stand that has survived for decades, but it's single tier. Most of its life has been spend holding a rack, but I also use it at home to practice and any gig that I only need 1 tier.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner