Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2937281 - 07/11/18 06:50 AM Insuring Music Software?
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
I just got my insurance renewal for my music gear & had a little sticker shock at the premium. But, it's a necessary evil & worth the price, IMO. However, I decided to look thru my inventory to see if there are items I've since sold, gotten rid of, or stopped using. Then it occured to me... most of my music software can be downloaded online as long as I keep my ser # / registration code / whatever. So... am I overlooking something, or is there no need to insure music software?

KC Island
#2937287 - 07/11/18 07:13 AM Re: Insuring Music Software? [Re: mcgoo]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You might be able to add it to the value of the computer(s) that it resides in. Since you have the documentation, the underwriter may accept that. As you said, most software can be re-downloaded at any time. The issue would be any compromised authorization codes.

#2937294 - 07/11/18 07:29 AM Re: Insuring Music Software? [Re: Michael Wright]
mcgoo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Indianapolis
Originally Posted By: Michael Wright
You might be able to add it to the value of the computer(s) that it resides in. Since you have the documentation, the underwriter may accept that. As you said, most software can be re-downloaded at any time. The issue would be any compromised authorization codes.

Actually, I already have all my software insured. My question was whether or not it makes sense to insure it since I can download it freely (presuming I don't lose my codes).

#2937297 - 07/11/18 07:41 AM Re: Insuring Music Software? [Re: mcgoo]
Michael Wright Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maybe not. You may want to be able to cover any costs for getting codes changed or replaced, if a machine was stolen. On my ilok I use the ZDT option, however they were of no use when I had a bunch of codes stuck in an iMac. That being said, the premium may outweigh those costs.

Edited by Michael Wright (07/11/18 07:45 AM)
Edit Reason: that being said

#2937305 - 07/11/18 08:03 AM Re: Insuring Music Software? [Re: Michael Wright]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Well I wouldn't bother. Due to a miscommunication on my part about a year ago I had my laptop SSD upgraded and they "helped me out" and upgraded OSX at the same time wiping MainStage and all my third party VI's.

I was able to reinstall MainStage and VI's from about 20 vendors including 8 on an iLok on disc licensor without any issues.

I suspect that were you to insure the software they would only pay out in the event that you had taken all reasonable steps to mininise your loss. No insurer is going to pay out for the inconvenience of sending an email to get your iLok account reset and downloading and installing your software again.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner