Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2936966 - 07/09/18 05:33 PM Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound?
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
This is not really a plea for help with an unfamiliar keyboard – I just want to quench my curiosity about something I found odd with this board.

Today I rehearsed in Glasgow, Scotland for a big show tomorrow where I had this keyboard added to my usual rig of a small Roland controller & laptop. I had never seen one in the flesh but figured I could deduce how to call up a Rhodes sound – the only thing I needed it for. I was wrong! I couldn't get one going until I found what appeared to be these preset buttons pictured below. One of them seemed to call up an ep sound:

Great, a Rhodes, right? I took a picture of the LCD:

I assumed the "Mk I" I see refers to a Rhodes Mark I. There's just one thing: when I played the Nord, I could swear I was hearing a Wurli! Mind you, it's not a bad sound and I can make do with it for the small amount of time I'll be playing it tomorrow. But is this really Nord's version of a rhodes? Seems odd to me. The rehearsal was running late, so there was no time to download & read a manual, and truth be told I'm not that invested in getting an authentic rhodes sound – this will do (jet lag has something to do with this too!). I'm just curious if this is operator error or truly Nord's version of a Rhodes. If anyone wants to take the time to hip me to positively selecting a Rhodes sound, that would be cool too. Thanks!

KC Island
#2936973 - 07/09/18 05:59 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Reezekeys]
Math&Music Offline

Loc: Northern VA
This looks like either a layer or a split with a B3 (drawbars in the top part of the diagram). You'd have to turn off the B3 to get just the Mk I.

#2936974 - 07/09/18 06:10 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Reezekeys]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Based on the display, it is indeed a Rhodes sample (with a split or layer set up for an organ sound as well). However, that only tells us which piano sample set has been called up, and not what may be enabled in terms of EQ, effects, or amp/compression which can alter the sound significantly. It's also impossible to say from that picture whether the piano and organ sound are layered, or split, or if only one of the two is actually audible, which could be either one... which would make more sense if you said the Rhodes sounded like an organ, but doesn't explain why it would sound like a Wulri! The thing about "Live" mode locations (the Live 1, Live2, and Live 3 buttons) is that they reflect however the last person happens to have left the controls, so there's no way to know how it's set just from the pic you posted.

Anyway, this is probably the easiest way to start using the board for a single sound: Make sure "KB Spllt" is off. Then under the display, there are Lower and Upper part buttons. If I wanted a plain Rhodes, I would set lower for PIANO and upper for nothing (or the reverse, I suppose, but let's stick with Lower for now). Then hit the top-most button in the Piano section until EP1 is selected. Then press the next button down (under the LED display) to cycle through the different base Rhodes and Wurlis pianos that happen to be installed on that unit. Then if you want to get adventurous, you can enable whatever effects, EQ, and amp/compression you like. Just make sure they're assigned to the Lower part. That should work, from what I remember. I'm just looking at a picture, I don't have one anymore.

#2936975 - 07/09/18 06:17 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: AnotherScott]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

You guys are the best! Thanks! We only get a quick line check tomorrow so I’ll bring my headphones & try to get a few minutes to get the right sound up.

#2936976 - 07/09/18 06:20 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: AnotherScott]
ajstan Offline

Loc: USA
Here is a link to a page on the Nord website with descriptions and sound samples of the available EPs, including the MK I.

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/sound-libraries/nord-piano-library/electric-piano/ep1-mk-i-low-deep

#2936978 - 07/09/18 06:38 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: ajstan]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

I've got to go. Quickly: you're looking in the wrong place to call up Rhodes sound. Download the manual and it will show you what to do.

#2937014 - 07/09/18 09:55 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: El Lobo]
Ledbetter Offline

Loc: California
Turn the black knob next to the display. Many sounds!

#2937021 - 07/10/18 12:42 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Ledbetter]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Welcome to Scotland! You are an hour away from me. Where's the gig?

There's a button with different types of instruments labels next to if. Press it until "E Piano 1" is selected. Then you can look at the individual samples. What you're doing just now is going through programmes, which usually have their own effects, EQ, etc. If you still haven't found it, PM me and I can walk you through. Since you're local could probably even do a phone call!

#2937025 - 07/10/18 02:57 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Nadroj]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hi Nadroj! We're playing at Glasgow Green, on a bill with Dua Lipa and Bruno Mars. We go to the venue at 3PM but at this point we're not sure if we even get a line check. I should be able to spend time with the Nord, assuming it's backstage and near a power source. Yesterday was a very hurried rehearsal, with no time to explore sounds or settings. It was the first time I had my hands on one other than the very occasional visit to a music store near me. Since I'm in the hotel with a little time to kill I'll download the manual and also make note of the excellent advice in this thread. I appreciate the offer of help – maybe I will PM you if I have any Qs but I think I'll be OK now. The window for putting names on a guest list has closed otherwise I'd offer to get you on the VIP list, if you were free tonight. Stay tuned for a PM about a different gig though!

#2937038 - 07/10/18 04:34 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Reezekeys]
stoken6 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good luck for the gig Rob. Please report back on how it went!

Cheers, Mike.

#2937045 - 07/10/18 05:31 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: stoken6]
ewall08530 Offline
Gold Member

I hardly ever used the Live button on my recently sold Electro 3 but I know the live section automatically saves and stores the last edits to a program.

Is it possible that someone had a layer or split with Organ and Mk1 Rhodes and then swapped in a Wurly? That would remain stored in Live

#2937047 - 07/10/18 05:43 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: ewall08530]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
Ed that sounds about right with the Live button. I use them a lot, I have a couple go to sounds set up in those for when I need to do a quick change from what I have called up from the programmed sound.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2937064 - 07/10/18 07:15 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: DanL]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Ledbetter
Turn the black knob next to the display. Many sounds!

Yes, that's the way to scroll through the board's presets. Though I didn't know if there was definitely a way to get to a plain Rhodes sound there, i.e. with no effects, not layered with anything, etc. Maybe. Though also, even assuming there is such a factory preset, since all factory presets are rewritable, there also isn't any guarantee that it will still be there in the unit he's playing, as a previous user could have modified/over-written that preset.

That said, IIRC, the very first factory preset (if no one has changed it) is just a plain grand piano. So another way to possibly get to a plain Rhodes would be to hit the PROGRAM button (i.e. make sure you're not in Live mode), and spin the dial counterclockwise until you're at the very first preset, then hit the top button in the Piano section until the EP1 light is lit. That will get you to an EP, and unless a previous user did something odd, it will be a Rhodes. Then the next button down would let you move through the various installed EP models.

I guess one of the downsides of the Nord's entirely rewritable sample section is that you can't be sure what you'll get. There's nothing to prevent someone from deleting every Rhodes sound, and leaving the EP section with nothing but Wurlis. It would be a bizarre thing to do, but if you're not playing your own unit, you can't be sure what's in it.

Originally Posted By: ewall08530
I hardly ever used the Live button on my recently sold Electro 3 but I know the live section automatically saves and stores the last edits to a program.

Is it possible that someone had a layer or split with Organ and Mk1 Rhodes and then swapped in a Wurly? That would remain stored in Live

I don't think the issue here. While the Nord (like other keyboards) allows you to create a mis-named Program, you can't rename the samples, and the screenshot shows that the EPiano1 MK1 Rhodes sample is loaded. AFAIK, there would be no way to see that displayed if a Wurli sample was loaded. That is, even in Live mode, if you changed the Rhodes sound to a Wurli sound, you would see that change updated in the display.

#2937074 - 07/10/18 07:40 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: AnotherScott]
Math&Music Offline

Loc: Northern VA
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

Originally Posted By: ewall08530

I don't think the issue here. While the Nord (like other keyboards) allows you to create a mis-named Program, you can't rename the samples, and the screenshot shows that the EPiano1 MK1 Rhodes sample is loaded. AFAIK, there would be no way to see that displayed if a Wurli sample was loaded. That is, even in Live mode, if you changed the Rhodes sound to a Wurli sound, you would see that change updated in the display.

I believe that’s right. I’m not near my 5D right now, but as I recall, if you make any changes in Live mode, everything is accurately captured in the display and elsewhere.

#2937131 - 07/10/18 10:23 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Nadroj]
El Lobo Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Nadroj
There's a button with different types of instruments labels next to if. Press it until "E Piano 1" is selected. Then you can look at the individual samples.
Yes, this is where to find a Rhodes.

If the Rhodes in the Live button sounds like a Wurli, it may be because tremolo is selected in the EFFECT 1 section. You can just press the button to turn that whole section off. Also look to see if EFFECT 2 is on, and also what's selected in the SPKR/COMP (amp sim/rotary) section.

#2937162 - 07/10/18 12:44 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: El Lobo]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well things didn't quite work out for a relaxed pre-show backstage setup experience but I did run through some sounds on the Nord and I have to say – the Rhodes is very Wurli-like, in my opinion. It was fine, I used it a little bit. I scrolled through what was available so I heard the Wurly too. What was weird was that at one point I messed something up and could not select an EP anymore – the button seemed to ignore me. I was cycling through and the LED just did not light and the previous sound remained. I told they were about to cut my power so I desperately pushed some buttons and twirled the patch select knob and somehow got back to the MkI - and there I left it! It worked out and the set went well. I'm backstage right now, waiting for Bruno to start his set. We got to meet him and he was a genuinely nice guy that told us he checked out our set and enjoyed it - and made me laugh by saying, almost incredulously, "and you guys do it WITHOUT TRACKS"!!

#2937166 - 07/10/18 12:55 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Reezekeys]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Hot off the press...

#2937168 - 07/10/18 01:09 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Reezekeys]
stoken6 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Reezekeys
you guys do it WITHOUT TRACKS"!!

Is there another way?

Cheers, Mike.

#2937169 - 07/10/18 01:11 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: stoken6]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: stoken6
you guys do it WITHOUT TRACKS"!!

Is there another way?

Cheers, Mike.

I think in 2018 the answer to that question is "yes"!

#2937181 - 07/10/18 02:12 PM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Reezekeys]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
The thing with the Nord is there are so many Rhodes samples to pick from, you can most likely find one to your liking. I don't like that Mk1 sound. I use the sparkle top, nefertiti, the amped one (forget what the name is) and the bright tines. Plus with EQ you can really change them up.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2937249 - 07/11/18 03:14 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: DanL]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Again, good chance it's operator error but I'm pretty sure I did scroll through the various Rhodes sample sets – I saw sparkle top and nefertiti for sure. They didn't sound much different to me. I was backstage and it was loud (Joe Jonas's rock band was on stage) so maybe I need to be somewhere I can listen better.

Also the keyboard of this Nord seemed to be lighter & less springy than my little Roland A800 Pro. Nothing I couldn't get used to, just something I noted.

#2937252 - 07/11/18 03:33 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Reezekeys]
ewall08530 Offline
Gold Member

Glad it all worked out for you!

I like to say that the Nord's are user friendly and intuitive but I sometimes forget that I've been playing an Electro or Stage for almost 20 years. There definitely is a learning curve. But some quiet time to experiment and a pretty decent manual
should make for a better experience if you ever have to gig with one again.

#2937255 - 07/11/18 03:48 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: Reezekeys]
RudyS Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
Hot off the press...

Cool Rob!

#2937290 - 07/11/18 07:18 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: RudyS]
misterdregs Offline
Platinum Member

I’ve had my NE 5D for about a year. While I appreciate the expanded capabilities compared to old NE 2, I do miss the simplicity and intuitiveness of the 2.

And yes, I do realize I’m wishing for inherently incompatible features.
Motion Sound KP200S
Schimmel 6-10LE

#2937339 - 07/11/18 09:35 AM Re: Nord Electro 5D – this is a Rhodes sound? [Re: misterdregs]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

I think the 6 is an attempt to bring back some of that simplicity. While I kind of liked the 5 approach of Upper and Lower parts, the 6 is probably more straight-forward in that you don't approach it from a perspective of keyboard ranges, but rather of a Piano part and an Organ part and a Synth part. Still, nothing multi-timbral is going to be as simple as if it were mono-timbral!

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner