Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stevie Nicks "Rhiannon" live in Chicago - piano intro

Awesome! Got contacted last week out of the blue and invited to join an established, successful local Stevie Nicks / Fleetwood Mac tribute band with a calendar of just the kind of gigs I want more of, concerts, festivals, theaters. I'm friends with the lead singer and have worked with the drummer/bandleader before, so I guess they thought of me - nice. Anyway, I have to learn their 17-song set before my first gig with them in about three weeks. For the most part, *easy-peasy*, not a lot of big keyboard showcases and solos in this music as far as I know, which is okay with me, very happy to be part of the rhythm section and the overall sound in a polished, pro band like this.

ANYWAY, there's at least one exception, they want me to learn this long, ornate, almost classical solo piano intro for this live version of "Rhiannon." I'm game! Have been listening to it over and over and started working it out note by note. Even though it's kind of beyond the scope, in complexity and difficulty, of what I usually need to learn and play in the rock and pop cover and tribute bands I generally work with, I'm pretty confident that I can get it down if I put enough time in, it's not THAT out of reach and I'd say after working at it on my keyboard for about an hour and half the other day I'm maybe 30% along so far. (I hadn't heard it before, so just listening to it enough to get it in my head is a big part of the battle in learning it.)

But anyway I was wondering if anybody knows if there's a transcription that's been published or created anywhere that might help me along:

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Yamaha S80, Korg Trinity Plus

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's beautiful, and haunting. Question: Is the band insisting on a perfect, note-by-note rendition ? There's a particular freedom to how that intro is presented; sounds like some rhythmic improv going on, with a recurring melodic theme. Jotting down the melody and chords, then improvising harmonically in that style would sound more free, and flowing; capturing the mood and soul of Rhiannon perhaps better than a tight, semi-classical rendition. At least that's how I'd offer it: not diverting from the original style, but putting a personal dynamic on it.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I'm not sure if they're insisting on a note for note recreation, probably not; but I'm positive they wouldn't object to it and would be impressed, and that given my abilities, that's my best bet: anything similar I came up with my on my own or tried to improvise wouldn't be near as good, and would sound amateurish I fear. Anyway, it sounds pre-composed to me and I'd imagine that the performer played it close to the same way every night on the tour. (I"m sure my own version still won't be note-for-note, it will probably be missing some material, but I think I can come close and have the right number of beats and measures and harmonic content.)

Rich Forman

Yamaha MOXF8, Korg Kronos 2-61, Roland Fantom X7, Ferrofish B4000+ organ module, Roland VR-09, EV ZLX12P, K&M Spider Pro stand,

Rich, this is as much of a solo spot that you're likely to get in such a band - make the most of it. Play in that general style and you'll be fine.

And if Steve gives you any guff, tell him to stick it. ;-)

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

Hey Bobby, I don't know if I knew you were here on this board! Yup this will be my one big moment in the spotlight in this particular band, and I intend to nail it (not fake it!).

Rich Forman

It's not that hard to lift this one I'm thinking...you may not need a transcription Rich. Think you can nail it just using your ears ... just get the LH hand figure moving right. :thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

I think you're right Legatoboy, with a few more hours of listening, picking it apart and practicing, I am confident I can cop it or come pretty close. Still any resource that will help me cheat, I'm game to exploit!

Rich Forman

Stevie has been doing a version of "Rhiannon" with an extended Piano intro for many years. In 1983 at the US Festival she had both Roy Bittan and Bill Payne on Keys.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Funny, I just remember a very old live version I used to hear on FM radio in the 70's, that started with Stevie saying, "This is a song about a Welsh witch!" The song went on forever but I don't think there was any piano intro.

Rich Forman

The first example you gave us was beautiful.

Roy Bittan's was a bit more simplified but very effective.

Both of those versions were built around the chord sequence on a verse ( Am G Fmaj7 ). with the first example straying some.

Honestly, If I were you, I'd love the freedom of keeping the vibe and feel but allowing some of ME to shine through. You could talk to the bandleader about taking that approach.

Thanks eWall and everyone who's chimed in. The truth is, I don't want the freedom of doing my own interpretation (I might end up going more on that side if I can't get as close as I want to recreating the live version performance by the date of the gig), my M.O., what I strive for in band situations, and what I enjoy and am better at, is learning, copying and doing my best to recreate the recorded performance by the real pro; I get a lot of pride and satisfaction out of doing that and I do find that fellow musicians/bandmembers and audiences always like and appreciate it. My improv skills are minimal, but I find that if I put my mind and ears to it, I can come close to learning just about any solo within reason from a rock or pop recording (gets a lot trickier with jazz!). That's what I'm going to try to do with this piece! (Now, once I have the material internalized and am comfortable and confident with playing it like this, then I might eventually introduce some of my own ideas and variations within the metric and harmonic confines of the original, but not as a way of getting around learning it in the first place!)

Rich Forman

Yes that's them! I'm good friends with the lead singer Janet if you know her (and her husband Vini), have been happy for them and not a little jealous as I've seen where they've taken this band project in the last year or so in terms of gigs; so I was just thrilled to get the call to join it now, I get the feeling something went wrong with the guy they were using (a good player I just know casually from the scene). Anyway that is always the best feeling, getting asked/invited to play thru references from people who know and have worked with you.

Rich Forman

Yes that's them! I'm good friends with the lead singer Janet if you know her (and her husband Vini), have been happy for them and not a little jealous as I've seen where they've taken this band project in the last year or so in terms of gigs; so I was just thrilled to get the call to join it now, I get the feeling something went wrong with the guy they were using (a good player I just know casually from the scene). Anyway that is always the best feeling, getting asked/invited to play thru references from people who know and have worked with you.

Rich Forman

Long Island in da haus!

;)

Yeah, I noticed that too Joe. And, if I'm not mistaken, you're originally from Long Island.

So even though I have nothing useful to add I'm posting just to add another Long Islander to the thread :)

That's right, Al. Mom is still up there. I'm overdue for a visit. Maybe if I can get up there we can have a LIKCFH with me, you, Rich, Tony, and Bobby (and anyone else). :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Yes, Adam is in the band. Ive played with drummer Steve on and off since the mid 80s, and he originally asked me to do this gig when they started. But I had just sworn off the Long Island cover band scene for the time being, and miss it so little that I suspect that it is for good.

Rich, be sure to bust his balls about stealing the band logo art directly from here; he seemed remarkably unconcerned about the thievery:

Gypsy

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

I'm overdue for a visit. Maybe if I can get up there we can have a LIKCFH with me, you, Rich, Tony, and Bobby (and anyone else). :thu:

OT now ( so what else is new? ) but jgb3ny lives in Oceanside and AnotherScott is on Long Island somewhere. I would make the trip if it were possible for a Long Island hang. Would be excellent. :cool:

:nopity:

That would be great Dave! Right, Joe Gennosa is in Oceanside. And, zaj58 (Jim Sotis) lives in North Massapequa. I think AnotherScott said he lives in Westchester.

Rich, the right hand of the piano intro sounds pretty clear / straightforward. The left hand is less clear to my ears. I think if you play with a beautiful tone, nail the right hand, do a reasonable representation of the left, and convey a similar overall attitude / vibe it will sound great and most people will say you nailed it.

I intend to nail it (not fake it!).
No no no

Still any resource that will help me cheat, I'm game to exploit!
Yes! Now you're talking! Here's what to do. Make a pristine recording of this take (or some other great take out there). Get your iPod, patch into the P.A. system. When it comes time, stealthily hit play and start faking it. Not just with the fingers, but with your body, your arms, and especially your face. Scrunch up your brow, close your eyes and bob up and down, oh yeah! :-)

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

I intend to nail it (not fake it!).
No no no

Still any resource that will help me cheat, I'm game to exploit!
Yes! Now you're talking! Here's what to do. Make a pristine recording of this take (or some other great take out there). Get your iPod, patch into the P.A. system. When it comes time, stealthily hit play and start faking it. Not just with the fingers, but with your body, your arms, and especially your face. Scrunch up your brow, close your eyes and bob up and down, oh yeah! :-)

that is soulful approach. Now I understand that post when you proclaimed how great you were ( or are). ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I think AnotherScott said he lives in Westchester.

Yup, but grew up mostly on LI, and still do some gigs down there, and occasional rehearsals for one of my bands which is split between "down there" and "up here."

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Rich, a scarily similar thing happened to me recently.

A bunch of local musos wanted to put together a Neil Diamond tribute, and asked me to be part of the project. I'm embarrassed to say I knew nothing about his music outside of "Sweet Caroline". But it sounded like fun and as far as I'm aware it's a unique concept where I live, so I thought I'd give it a crack.

Only problem was they wanted me to play "Prologue" from Hot August Night. I listened to it and pretty quickly realised this would not be an easy thing to recreate on a keyboard.

I could not find any sheet music for the thing so painstakingly listened to it, transcribed it on Musescore, and then learned to play it. The process took me weeks. Not easy as some of the voicings are impossible to play on keys so a bit of creative licence required. Plus I am a player of limited natural ability which slowed things considerably. No doubt some of the folks who post here could have knocked it off in an afternoon, but that's not the world I inhabit!

But I got there in the end. I tell this story because I'm convinced you will too, having listened to the Stevie Nicks intro. Just chip away at it bit by bit.

Thanks Cowboy. I did a stint in a local Neil Diamond tribute as well (in fact, that's part of how I know the singer in the new Stevie Nicks project, she did backups in Neil for a while). And a Billy Joel tribute (second keys), a Journey tribute, a Bad Company tribute, a Foreigner tribute, several Beatles tributes, and others I'm sure I'm forgetting! Anyway the Neil Diamond tribute is one of those that is potentially very commercially viable, the one I played with for a while does shows all over the place, very popular artist to tribute. So stick with that, good luck, and see you out there!

Rich Forman

Stevie has been doing a version of "Rhiannon" with an extended Piano intro for many years. In 1983 at the US Festival she had both Roy Bittan and Bill Payne on Keys.

[video:youtube]

This is interesting as Roy is never shown that clearly. Even on a lot of live Springsteen. He's always shown from the side or at a weird angle. He and Bill Payne is a wild combination.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com