Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2936919 - 07/09/18 01:38 PM Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha.
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: S. Ca. USA
Dealing with not seeing screen of keyboard, nor the iPad. is leading me to willingness to carry some kind of stand that will block the light which makes seeing the keyboard impossible.
I am doing more and more outdoor gigs, and need a solution.

Also , on a recent gig, my keyboard became an attraction for flying ants, or termites or whatever they were. I would not use an insecticide, but something to dissuade them from crawling all over the keyboard!

KC Island
#2936921 - 07/09/18 01:52 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: I-missRichardTee
Dealing with not seeing screen of keyboard, nor the iPad. is leading me to willingness to carry some kind of stand that will block the light which makes seeing the keyboard impossible.

If only...

someone...

had asked...

about this...

before.

snax

#2936931 - 07/09/18 02:29 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: Sven Golly]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
roll

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2936949 - 07/09/18 03:51 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: Joe Muscara]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
roll

Beep. evil

#2936951 - 07/09/18 03:58 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: Sven Golly]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Sven Golly
roll

Beep. evil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2936957 - 07/09/18 04:38 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: Sven Golly]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California

If only...

someone...

had asked...

about this...

before.

snax

What gets me is why is it extra hot in the summer ? Then, in the winter, sometimes it gets cold. Outside.

Like WTF. Is there an app to fix this weather ? i will post this on the drummer forum in case no one has a solution

( silly post warning wink )

#2936958 - 07/09/18 04:43 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: Sven Golly]
gg22 Online   content

roll

Beep. evil

roll roll roll grin twothumbs

Edited by gg22 (07/09/18 04:46 PM)

#2936959 - 07/09/18 04:45 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: Sven Golly]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

What those links have in common is that they are about playing outdoors, but they are not all about the sun issue. One was about heat, another was about rain, so not relevant to the question at hand.

But anyway, one answer I didn't see here or there (though I'm sure I typed it in yet some other related thread) is that I've been told that it's easier to read some of the screens outside if you wear the kind of polarized 3D glasses that are given out in movie theaters these days. Though I'm not sure whether if it needs to be a certain type, and I haven't tried it myself. I'd be curious to know if anyone tries it.

#2936960 - 07/09/18 04:48 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: AnotherScott]
GregC Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

What those links have in common is that they are about playing outdoors, but they are not all about the sun issue. One was about heat, another was about rain, so not relevant to the question at hand.

Whew. You took the air out of that balloon wink

#2936962 - 07/09/18 05:01 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: GregC]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
On my CP4, the first patch is "main piano". I can always get back it by hitting the button and scrolling all the way left.

"main piano" has strings on the layer and upright bass on the split.

If I can't see the screen...........I play "main piano" grin

(For everything else, there's organ)
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2936964 - 07/09/18 05:09 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: Joe Muscara]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Hahaha!!!

Here's a beepin answer for you regarding shading the screen on a keyboard.

When we started doing a lot of outdoor festival shows with stages that didn't have a lot of shade, I had a hard time seeing the screen of my old Triton Ex then my MOXF6

I then remember seeing the guy who's music I play (go figure) has had a solution since his days using his Prophet 5.

They created a little shade box that fits over the keyboard's screen.

here's a couple shots of it on his Triton

I created something similar out of aluminum sheet, and used velcro to attach it to my Triton Ex.

For insects, a couple citronella candles on the ground around your rig would work. At least it does for me out here in Tejas

#2936982 - 07/09/18 07:14 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: EscapeRocks]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
I built something similiar using yellow sticky pads and some tape.

#2936983 - 07/09/18 07:15 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: Sven Golly]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN

If only...

someone...

had asked...

about this...

before.

snax

Keeper of the sacred bandwidth laugh

#2936985 - 07/09/18 07:32 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
JazzPiano88 Offline

Loc: USA
Also , on a recent gig, my keyboard became an attraction for flying ants, or termites or whatever they were. I would not use an insecticide, but something to dissuade them from crawling all over the keyboard!

Keyboards are definitely susceptible to persistent and annoying termite infestations as nearly everyone can attest.

They are attracted to the letters "board" in the word, "keyboard"

The North American termites have mutated to ignore the letters "key" in "keyboard" and are especially voracious.

Roliand has a joint research venture with Monsanto to eradicate these pests, but it probably won't be licensed to Yamoha for many years to come. In the mean time probably best to find an old source for DDT but be careful!

Yamaha C7D | Montage8 | CP300 | CP4
Hammond SK1-73 | DSI OB-6

#2937005 - 07/09/18 08:30 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: WesG]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: WesG
On my CP4, the first patch is "main piano". I can always get back it by hitting the button and scrolling all the way left.

"main piano" has strings on the layer and upright bass on the split.

If I can't see the screen...........I play "main piano" grin

(For everything else, there's organ)

Try doing that when you are playing 5 parts, including drums, and sometimes a MIDI song!

#2937006 - 07/09/18 08:32 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: EscapeRocks]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: EscapeRocks
Hahaha!!!

Here's a beepin answer for you regarding shading the screen on a keyboard.

When we started doing a lot of outdoor festival shows with stages that didn't have a lot of shade, I had a hard time seeing the screen of my old Triton Ex then my MOXF6

I then remember seeing the guy who's music I play (go figure) has had a solution since his days using his Prophet 5.

They created a little shade box that fits over the keyboard's screen.

here's a couple shots of it on his Triton

I created something similar out of aluminum sheet, and used velcro to attach it to my Triton Ex.

For insects, a couple citronella candles on the ground around your rig would work. At least it does for me out here in Tejas

I thank you, my father thanks you too, his father, and my Mom and hers too.
twothumbs

#2937034 - 07/10/18 04:09 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: I-missRichardTee]
analogika Offline

Loc: Germany
Asked a dozen times, but somehow, nobody has yet mentioned THIS Dinkum Cine Lens Shade?

#2937037 - 07/10/18 04:24 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: GregC]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Like WTF. Is there an app to fix this weather ? i will post this on the drummer forum in case no one has a solution

( silly post warning wink ) [/quote]

No, not quite, silly poster.

Edited by I-missRichardTee (07/10/18 04:30 AM)

#2937066 - 07/10/18 07:18 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: analogika]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: analogika
Asked a dozen times, but somehow, nobody has yet mentioned THIS Dinkum Cine Lens Shade?

Nice idea, but I don't know where you would typically be able to clamp it on a keyboard. Maybe if you had a mic/music stand behind?

#2937086 - 07/10/18 08:02 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: JazzPiano88]
Bif_ Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: JazzPiano88

They are attracted to the letters "board" in the word, "keyboard"

The North American termites have mutated to ignore the letters "key" in "keyboard" and are especially voracious.

laugh laugh

I think Roland boards are safe.......all plastic.

#2937094 - 07/10/18 08:09 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: AnotherScott]
analogika Offline

Loc: Germany

Nice idea, but I don't know where you would typically be able to clamp it on a keyboard. Maybe if you had a mic/music stand behind?

All my keyboards are on stands...

#2937095 - 07/10/18 08:14 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: AnotherScott]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yes nice idea....but is it $90 nice??? wow... I will stick with my 3 dollar homemade one wink

#2937096 - 07/10/18 08:16 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: EscapeRocks]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO

I never did make anything permanent, but a couple times in a pinch, I put something together out of cardboard and gaff tape that looked almost just like that.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2937099 - 07/10/18 08:21 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: J. Dan]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan

I never did make anything permanent, but a couple times in a pinch, I put something together out of cardboard and gaff tape that looked almost just like that.

I've done that as well...but you know me, I have to create something when I am bored smile

#2937104 - 07/10/18 08:56 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: analogika]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

All my keyboards are on stands...

What stand do you have where this works? You'd need it to have a cross bar, and it would have to be pretty high (i.e. close to the keyboard), and also not overly obstructed in access by the keyboard... I can think of a whole lot of stands it would not work on (spider type, x-stands, z-stands, invisibles, standtastics, K&M 18880), I'm not sure of any it would work on, unless I'm visualizing this all wrong.

#2937148 - 07/10/18 11:57 AM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: analogika]
I-missRichardTee Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

There seems to be interest in this clamp, but how would it reach the screen?

#2937171 - 07/10/18 01:15 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: analogika]
MathOfInsects Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California

$90? I'd rather just hire a high school kid to put his hand over the screen for $25.

#2937177 - 07/10/18 01:59 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: MathOfInsects]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects

$90? I'd rather just hire a high school kid to put his hand over the screen for $25.

Rental model - OpEx not CapEx. Sunshield-as-a-service? It's the new disruptive machine-learning-of-things/blockchain-gamification/artificial-data-science-as-an-innovator - now with added security!

Cheers, Mike.

Edited by stoken6 (07/10/18 02:00 PM)

#2937219 - 07/10/18 05:50 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: stoken6]
lightbg Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Rockaway,NJ,UNITED STATES
I've been dealing with this problem when doing some AP. Here's my solution ( I believe this is the smallest hood they make ) :

Hood

I use one with my iPad Mini4 and it has a clamp system that holds it securely to the case, but that can be modified. They're made quite well, fold flat, and the bottom ( or lower ) panel has an elastic slit to enable screen access without reaching in from the top. Also, the picture shows the extender attached; I haven't needed that part. It's probably way more than you might need, but it does very well as a sunshade.

FWIW,

Jake

"It needs a Hammond"

#2937220 - 07/10/18 06:20 PM Re: Sunlight prevents seeing screen of Yamaha. [Re: lightbg]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Once we launch our Nuclear Weapons to black out the sky in order to block out our solar powered AI machine overlords (i.e. The Matrix) you won't have to worry about it anymore. Of course gigs will be limited to Zion, located in the depths of the earth and accessible only by sewer pipes. That said, the socket in the back of your neck may have a slick MIDI/Audio interface available. Plus you could jack in some training programs like the meaning of BEEP in the context of a Blues chart.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner