Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

Another observation I made with my VR-09 last week:

I do NOT like the default Organ sound than the VR-09 starts up with. To my ears, it sounds like a scratchy volume control / crackling like a bad circuit, and I've determined that there is just a little of the Distortion effect running. Turn the Distortion all the way down, and it is crystal-clear!

Now the point is that I wanted to save the default Organ sound, so it always starts up crystal-clear (and prevents hy heart from stopping every time I start it and hear the crackling), but alas, even when saving organ settings to Registrations, the original organ sound remains in the Organ section, and the settings are not updated.

But ALL the settings for the Organ (including Effects, Twin Rotary, Key Click, Leakage and even the Drawbar settings) are successfully saved as part of a Registration!

So this point remains: Organ sounds do NOT suffer the same problems as the Synthesizer sounds!

So I cannot tweak the factory organ? That is a huge shame as I love my tweaked version and have had to strategically place it on numerous registrations so it is always easily accessible. If I could make it the default factory setting it would solve a ton of logistical problems and free up loads of registrations...

Are any other categories also excluded from this factory tweaking thing? I am really hoping that I can change the order of the sounds in just about every category.....

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

For instance, i'm changing oscillators in the SYNTH-tab. And i dont hear changes immediately. It takes 5-10 seconds for this. Even it's heard clearly when changing all of the oscillators or other parameters and after 5 seconds it applies consistently one after another in the way you changed it. And when it occurs, it doesnt respond for turning knobs on the Roland. It needs to pass 5-10 seconds and i can regulate anything again until another delay.

I'm running Windows 7. RAM 8GB, CPU i7-4770K.

not normal. On the editor if you switch the CTRLR Menu bar on (button "MENU SHOW") there's a menu option "Tools".

Select Midi Monitor (or simply press ctrl-M). On the appearing monitor window select menu option 'View' and switch on "Monitor Input" and "Monitor output".

Check if there's a delay between moving a slider (on the VR or the editor) and its corresponding midi signal (the timer messages on the input monitor cannot be turned off, but you should be able to see the midi signals rolling through).

Do you see delays on the input or output?

Which version of CTRLR platform do you use?

None of delays on the monitor. All good. But in sound there is delay. CTRLR the newest.

None of delays on the monitor. All good. But in sound there is delay. CTRLR the newest.

1. CTRLR: Ctrlr-5.5.2.exe is a bit 'hot' (unstable), recommended version is Ctrlr-5.4.29.exe

2. Delays:

- can you retry with any other PC/laptop/tablet ? Same delays?

- which midi device driver version (Windows device manager) do you use? Are there any 3rd party midi drivers (Yamaha, Roland ..) installed ?

- are you familiar with MidiOX (analyse tool) + Midi Yoke (virtual midi ports) or if not, willing to give it a try?

Another observation I made with my VR-09 last week:

I do NOT like the default Organ sound than the VR-09 starts up with.

So I cannot tweak the factory organ? That is a huge shame as I love my tweaked version and have had to strategically place it on numerous registrations so it is always easily accessible. If I could make it the default factory setting it would solve a ton of logistical problems and free up loads of registrations...

This was one of my biggest issues with the VR-09. Whenever I switched away form organ and back again, the organ sound I had been playing was gone. Not just the drawbars, but also the overdrive and tone settings, and since I didn't like the default, it meant changing these settings every time I switched to organ, and there's no way to make your preferred starting organ sound a recallable program. Yup, you have to use Registrations, but it's really awkward to mix-and-match sounds that are stored in Registrations... so yeah, you'd have to start putting copies of your favorite organ sound everywhere. And there are only 4 registration buttons, only 16 totally selectable without scrolling, which itself is awkward in live performance. With so few easily accessible Registrations, you have to use them wisely, and this organ situation just puts one more burden on them. VR09/VR730 could really benefit from being able to store some more default organ parameters, and a "live" drawbar button that would just bring the sound in line with current drawbar positions. (But of course, it is cheaper than its more capable competitors...)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Hello

preview: V-Combo SYNTH for the VR (like Roland Sound Designer)

- optimized for editing VR synth sounds on larger PC/laptop screens

- easier handling of SYNTH section compared to V-Combo EDITOR

- uses same patch registration as the EDITOR (e.g. registrations in SYNTH can be loaded in EDITOR)

- bonus: intergrated (freeware) arpeggiator-sequenzer (only MS Windows + needs a virtual midi-port/midi-router setup with CopperLan or MidiOX)

http://rrr.de/~franky/editor/vr09_synth1128b1.png

YES!!! I recall nearly cancelling my preorder way back in January of 2013 when I found out the thing had no arpeggiator. This looks great!

Hey, what's that Intelligent Harmony box all about? I can certainly use all the help I can find for my harmony intelligence; or the lack thereof. :idk

Hi,

Unfortunately it did not work to code an arpeggiator directly in CTRLR (tried a lot of tricks but there are massive realtime problems),

so I just added a VERY simple 3rd party sequencer for making quick and basic arpeggios (as an editing aid for the synthesizer)

On the downside, using 3rd party software makes it necessary to setup virtual Midi ports on the PC.

Anyway there's a longterm idea to add (configurable) switches to the EDITOR (and SYNTH) to launch additional software out of the Editor,

e.g. a drum sequencer (e.g. the nice "Ordrumbox", small in filesize, very powerfull, runs as java on Win+OSX+Linux and fit's the look&feel ;)), a sophisticated sequencer or a 'live' arpeggiator (an arp that chops the chords played on the board)

Intelligent harmony is a 'hidden' function from the Atelier world which adds chords to a single note.

It's already in EDITOR 1.12(8) BETA (download link in previous posts) in "PANEL - KBD-CONFIG", there you can try if you ... feel any influence :)

Franky

1. CTRLR: Ctrlr-5.5.2.exe is a bit 'hot' (unstable), recommended version is Ctrlr-5.4.29.exe

2. Delays:

- can you retry with any other PC/laptop/tablet ? Same delays?

- which midi device driver version (Windows device manager) do you use? Are there any 3rd party midi drivers (Yamaha, Roland ..) installed ?

- are you familiar with MidiOX (analyse tool) + Midi Yoke (virtual midi ports) or if not, willing to give it a try?

1. I tried another version of CTRLR. Same shit. Tapped Note hold and unhold it and it didnt affect anything. Turned distortion all the way up and then down and did nothing.

2. -Will try it later.

-How do i check this?

-I am familliar a bit.

YES!!! I recall nearly cancelling my preorder way back in January of 2013 when I found out the thing had no arpeggiator.

good news, we got the permission from the developer to add 'sweet arpeggiator' to the editor (it will rollout with the panel).

It chops played chords (e.g. left hand) in realtime.

I tried Editor on my notebook. Same shit. I noticed, this delay happens mostly when use sliders of OSC. After this it gets all delayed and lagged on every parameters.

Hello

in motorcycle racing we would now say the magic phrase "we found something ..." ;)

Please download the BETA version of the V-Combo SYNTH app. In your CTRLR, 'Close' the EDITOR and 'Open' the SYNTH panel and retry:

http://ctrlr.org/?ddownload=84629

for the curious: BETA version of "V-Combo SYNTH" for the VR

- in CTRLR, 'Close' the EDITOR-panel and 'Open' (=load) the SYNTH panel.

- midi setup: as usual ('midi cfg' or menu bar)

- loading sounds:

1. load to voice: as usual via VR or panel ('SOUND' => V-Keyboard, Soundexplorer, patch-registration)

2. after loading, tip 'read' (loads the synth parameters of the sound to the sliders and knobs).

- 'sync' button for each partial: moving a slider will move the sliders of all partials with 'sync' on.

- ARP-SEQ : MS-Win only: launches integrated basic (freeware) arpeggio-sequencer

- CopperLan: launches CopperLan Virtual Midi Port Router (if installed). If your installation path is different from default use the 'path' button.

for the curious: BETA version of "V-Combo SYNTH" for the VR

- in CTRLR, 'Close' the EDITOR-panel and 'Open' (=load) the SYNTH panel.

- midi setup: as usual ('midi cfg' or menu bar)

- loading sounds:

1. load to voice: as usual via VR or panel ('SOUND' => V-Keyboard, Soundexplorer, patch-registration)

2. after loading, tip 'read' (loads the synth parameters of the sound to the sliders and knobs).

- 'sync' button for each partial: moving a slider will move the sliders of all partials with 'sync' on.

- ARP-SEQ : MS-Win only: launches integrated basic (freeware) arpeggio-sequencer

- CopperLan: launches CopperLan Virtual Midi Port Router (if installed). If your installation path is different from default use the 'path' button.

That's much better, fellow :) Now i dont get any delays yet.

Now a new question. How can i assign parameters in Editor to faders\knobs? Or in any VST.

Now a new question. How can i assign parameters in Editor to faders\knobs? Or in any VST.

Schön :) In fact there was as delay parameter set in CTRLR of 100msec between each midi send message ;)

on the other hand, there should not habe been any delay when receiving messages from the VR...

The fix will also rollout with Editor 1.12(8).

Your new question, I'm sorry, I do not understand: which editor parameters do you want to assign to which faders?

Franky

I have now played a little with the "V-Combo SYNTH for the VR" Editor, and WOW WOW WOW!!!!

:like:

I feel like a little kid in a candy store, with unlimited money!!! I did not test every function in the editor (I don't even know what all the buttons / sliders / dials do!) but I just had a couple of hours of fun, playing and exploring and thoroughly loving the new sounds coming out of the VR-09!!!!

:)

I have run out of superlatives to describe both the editors, but I am ecstatically thrilled with 1.12(8) and the "V-Combo SYNTH"!!!!!

Schön :) In fact there was as delay parameter set in CTRLR of 100msec between each midi send message ;)

on the other hand, there should not habe been any delay when receiving messages from the VR...

The fix will also rollout with Editor 1.12(8).

Your new question, I'm sorry, I do not understand: which editor parameters do you want to assign to which faders?

Franky

I didn't have delays from the VR, actually. Only from the Editor.

About the question. I mean, i need to assign, for example, parameters of OSC to assign on faders of the VR. That i can change the parameters from the VR in real time. Or to assign, for instance, poly/mono button on any buttons on the VR. OR in any VST if i could assign anything there on the faders, knobs, buttons of my VR-09. Is it clear? :)

> i need to assign, for example, parameters of OSC to assign on faders of the VR. That i can change the parameters from the VR in real time. Or to assign, for instance, poly/mono button on any buttons on the VR.

this was discussed earlier, that's not possible, the faders and knobs of the VR are not programmable. Example: you could theoretically match the sysex of the 16" drawbar to an Osc parameter, but it will also change the ATTACK of the sound.

> OR in any VST if i could assign anything there on the faders, knobs, buttons of my VR-09.

to use the VR as a pure controller for a VST, you have to transform the SysEx from the VR to your VST input. If your DAW has no transformation module, BOME will be your friend.

you could theoretically match the sysex of the 16" drawbar to an Osc parameter, but it will also change the ATTACK of the sound.

...and could you (theorically) match the sysex of the 16" drawbar to an Osc parameter AND to the inverted value of the ATTACK change?

Maybe it's not possible, I usually have very silly ideas :laugh:

but if it could be possible you would get the assigned sysex and, at the same time, would revert the attack, decay, release, cutoff or resonance changes done by the 16", 5 1/3", 8", 1" or LEVEL fader... don't you think?

Maybe this idea was discussed before, but this is the first thing that came to my mind when I read your post before ;)

What do you think about?

...and could you (theorically) match the sysex of the 16" drawbar to an Osc parameter AND to the inverted value of the ATTACK change?

What do you think about?

you mean when moving e.g. the 1"/cutoff fader we send a 'set cutoff back to 0' message back to fader?

This does not work , the sound (cutoff) will jump back and forth.

Some major aspects had been discussed in https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2930444/112 - post #2930444

Switch both organ + synth on, mute the organ (level to 0) and use the drawbars and the drawbars sysEx they send to control other parameters, but the drawbar sysEx only have a value range of 0-8.

Btw. in editor 1.12.8-yet-to-release the D-Beam can be set to (cutoff)-filter (+ other new parameters like rhythm fill in :) ... )

I supossed it... I've heard that VR09 hasn't been built as a MIDI controller so the knobs and drawbars didn't send MIDI (so you can't control another organ VSTi). =(

in editor 1.12.8-yet-to-release the D-Beam can be set to (cutoff)-filter (+ other new parameters like rhythm fill in smile ... )

I can't wait... =p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

RELEASE-INFO

V-Combo EDITOR v1.12(8): http://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-editor

V-Combo SYNTH v1.12(8): http://ctrlr.org/roland-vr09-vr730-v-combo-synth

USER MANUAL by our Raymond: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1uGuVOTOpudkNxrDMgu8eFfpbYaxVbbp6

Video Tutorial EDITOR v1.12(8):

Video Tutorial SYNTH v1.12(8):

(I) V-Combo EDITOR:

- user-friendly documentation created by VR-'music player' RaymondSA

- consolidation of 'hidden' VR-sounds ('eXtra Sounds')

- additional voice in LM (giving 7 parallel voices in LM+UM)

- new (hidden) sound effects for SYNTHESIZER, keyboard (e.g. sustain, harmony intelligence...) and GM2

- external program laucher with builtin (freeware) arpeggiator

- builtin rhythm control

- new 'hidden' functions for D-BEAM (e.g. filter-cutoff, rhythm-fill/break...)

- reworked surface and panel organization, optimisation for stage usage (bigger buttons easier to hit)

(II) V-Combo SYNTH;

- standalone panel (derived from EDITOR) for studio usage on large monitors

- simultaneous control of all three partials

- reduced number of voices (only 2 in upper manual)

- simplified sound explorer

- builtin simple (freewre) arpeggio-sequencer (MS-Windows only)

- quick lauchner for CopperLan (needed for the sequencer)

- patch registration compatible (shared) with V-Combo EDITOR

!! INFINITE THANKS to RaymondSA for writing the manual !!!

http://ctrlr.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/VComboEditor_kbd.gif

http://ctrlr.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/VComboSynth_main.gif

add. info:

TechnoToys Omega midi toolset (sequencer, arpeggiator, drumcomputer):

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JQ0K48NLQVNNCCfN6zlMVpxNbDEJBEOp

TT Omega is free for use (development was abandoned 10 year ago).

Best midi software if you do not want to go VST.

The ARP X8 is a mighty tool for playing realtime arpeggios on the VR (can be synched to VR-Tap-Tempo)

The toolkit installs on Win10 and is stable without latency problems.

The programs can be included to the Editors 'external program' lauchner