Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

alrighty then...POSTHUMOUS birthdays...

whitefang

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd guess that would be because public awareness of Roy came years before anyone heard of Glen as a musician or singer or what...

Like, Roy's earliest singles went out about '56 or so, and Glen didn't get one of his own out there until '61 or '62. And then Roy's efforts were heard on multiple formats while at first much of Glen's stuff was heard only on country stations. And he spent much of his time earlier as a member of some singing group or as a top session man. It wouldn't surprise me if Glen could be heard on some old Orbison recording doing some of the "overdub" work. ;)

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

• 2 weeks later...

Today marks the 107th anniversary of ROBERT JOHNSON's birth.

and

RICKY NELSON would have been 78 today.

imagine.....

Those two sharing a birthday! :cool:

Whitefang

Ricky's lead player James Burton, is still around. He's one of my all-time favorite guitar players. A session man much like Glen Campbell that played for many of the greats... :cool:
Take care, Larryz

• 5 weeks later...

Well, these two weren't musicians, but truly music lovers...

And it makes my conscience feel better to...

Wish "Happy birthday" to my Mother and her Mother( Grandma) who both were born on this date. Mom in 1926; (d: 1999)

and

Grandma in 1907.(d: 1993)

:)

Whitefang

Aw, HELL....

I can recall back in the "day" that even among guys who never heard any of his music or even PLAYED guitar a little that Chet was LEGENDARY! :D;)

Whitefang

Today though, and although NOT a "giant" among guitar players or the guitar world----

It's the 78th anniversary of the birth of STUART SUTCLIFFE, often noted as THE BEATLES' original bass player, and mostly just a good friend of John Lennon.

Whitefang

While lookin' up info on others, found today (7/6/18) would have been the 93rd birthday for BILL HALEY;

Who I didn't know WAS older( by just a year) than Chuck Berry, but was born up here in HIGHLAND PARK, MI.!

I for some reason long thought he came from somewhere down south. Highland Park is an adjacent Detroit suburb and for some reason it seemed Detroit "oldies" and "classic rock" DJs never bothered making mention of the Michigan origins of "the father of rock". ;)

Whitefang

Chet Atkins one of my all-time favorite guitar players. He's right up there with the best... :cool:

I never thought much of Chet's playing until I heard the Chester & Lester albums. WHEW! What a picker!

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Because he was such a HUGE influence on Chuck Berry, I'll mention that today is the 110th anniversary of LOUIS JORDAN's birth.

And the 94th of Chuck's piano compadre JOHNNIE JOHNSON. ;)

However, I won't be celebrating with Beans 'n' Cornbread. ;)

Whitefang

Today marks the 97th anniversary of guitarist GEORGE BARNES, who at 17 became the "staff guitarist" for DECCA records, which meant he did a lot of session work with a lot of different artists. It's also claimed he was the first to commercially record a song with an electric guitar ("Sweetheart Land"--Big Bill Broonzy, '38) which of course, is disputed, but nontheless, Barnes remained playing in his typical "happy" style until his death in '77. And too, probably yet ANOTHER "father" of rock'n'roll. ;)

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow fitting, with today being the birthday of guitar great STEVE MORSE, it too, marks what would have been the 75th birthday of "blues guitarist extraordinaire" MIKE BLOOMFIELD.

That I too, share the same birthdate somehow makes me feel both humbled and proud. ;)

Whitefang

And often cited as the earliest( and sometimes first) proponent of the electric guitar, today is the 102nd anniversary of CHARLIE CHRISTIAN's birth.

Whitefang

• 2 weeks later...