Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig?

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although we've never met, I hate you. :(

Wow a frown emoji, you're not joking.

OK Tom, deep breath - talk me through it. What's your live rig, and what steps do you take to set up? I bet can make it quicker, one plug at a time.

Cheers, Mike.

Wow...all great replies!!! Thanks to everyone who responded. Let's keep the comments going!

My 1+ hour setup does include guitars and effects pedals, as well as a basic soundcheck and any "why isn't any sound coming from my controller?" troubleshooting...lol

When I got back into playing (after a 20 year hiatus), I streamlined my rig down from a rack containing 8 modules to one MIDI controller (Roland A-50) and one module (E-Mu Vintage Keys Plus). Now, it's inched back up to 3 keyboards and a Mac.

I suppose there are benefits and drawbacks to the size of setup you have. For blues gigs, probably only one keyboard might be needed. For prog rock, maybe 3 or more. :-)

2 boards, Spider Pro, Little Mackie SRM150 monitor on a mike stand, Rolls 28 mixer. Usually play through FOH, otherwise a powered speaker, K10 or Electro BR549?.

Actual setup time about 15 min, but add 10 min from vehicle to stage, 10 min reload, and a fair amt. of time waiting for everyone else to get out of the way probably 15 min.

I usually bring my roadie and she saves me about 10 total minutes carrying stuff to stage area/return at end.

I set up usually stage right rear, and there is always someone or two running cables in front of or behind me. Very irritating, so I try to arrive way early, to get mostly set up before others arrive. Gig Karma means I am usually last to load out.

I've found over the years that the key to quick setup/teardown of any rig is to know exactly what you're doing and have a routine. For complex cabling, as mentioned, looms or custom snakes as I've done in the past and many do now can save a lot of time. But even without that, cable per purpose, order of operations, etc all make a difference. For me it's routine right down to what I carry each trip to/from the car, where I set it down, which cables get plugged in first/last, etc.

I recently filled in with my old acoustic band who's been playing with a different bass player for quite a while. Playing was fun but setup was excruciating. They brought their own PA but all the cables were bundled in a large suitcase. Once they decided where everything was going to go, then it's like they're figuring out on the fly how to hook it all up, then fire up and things don't work. Cables are bad, then we don't have long enough cables to replace the ones that didn't work. At one point early on one of the guys said "wow, we're going to be set up with plenty of time to spare". I though to myself "I seriously doubt it". Sure enough with all of the debacle of bad cables and failed sound checks (feedback starts and the guitar player just pulls down all of the faders, meaning we have to start over.....that happened about 4 times). Ran out of time and started playing with what we had, only to find out after the first set that the mains were off. Chaos.

When I used to bring my PA, everything was labeled, every cable had a purpose, they were packed in an organized way - everything in a rack, Speakons to the speakers, each monitor out labeled, each channel labeled, to where each person could pug in their own, mic, instrument, and monitor - done.

Back to keyboards - if you have to figure it out when you get there, it'll take much longer than going through a predetermined routine.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Worry not; it's meant to convey childish sulking due to envy -- not hatred.

OK Tom, deep breath - talk me through it. What's your live rig, and what steps do you take to set up? I bet can make it quicker, one plug at a time.

Cheers, Mike.

My live rig comprises:

• Heck, I probably spend 10 minutes just unpacking and setting up my 2-tier Z-stand.
  • Two keyboards: lightweight Casio PX-5S on the bottom and a moderate-weight PC361 on top.
  • AX-Synth to the side for showing off guitar licks.
  • Triple pedal switch for PC361, pair of single pedals for the Casio, one gas pedal for the PC361. Fuzzy thin rubber-backed welcome mat for the velcro-hooked pedals, but sometimes the velcro tape stays with the mat.
  • Mackie mixing board (for now) mixing down two stereo keyboard rigs plus mono AX-Synth (5 cables) into a single stereo feed for the sound guy. Probably changing to an XR-12 or -16 in the near future.
  • 12" powered speaker on a stand for backline (not my choice -- I prefer IEMs)
  • 8" powered speaker on a stand for my personal monitor from FOH or monitor board, depending on the gig.
  • 20" fan so I don't swim in my own sweat.

Setup lasts probably a total of 30 minutes plus sparring with sound man for good monitor feed.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

My live rig comprises:

• Heck, I probably spend 10 minutes just unpacking and setting up my 2-tier Z-stand.
  • Two keyboards: lightweight Casio PX-5S on the bottom and a moderate-weight PC361 on top.
  • Triple pedal switch for PC361, pair of single pedals for the Casio, one gas pedal for the PC361. Fuzzy thin rubber-backed welcome mat for the velcro-hooked pedals, but sometimes the velcro tape stays with the mat.
  • Mackie mixing board (for now) mixing down two stereo keyboard rigs plus mono AX-Synth (5 cables) into a single stereo feed for the sound guy. Probably changing to an XR-12 or -16 in the near future.
  • 8" powered speaker on a stand for my personal monitor from FOH or monitor board, depending on the gig.

Setup lasts probably a total of 30 minutes plus sparring with sound man for good monitor feed.

Here's where small compromises can go along way, though "small" is in the eye of the beholder. Sounds like you're monitoring in mono so why bother running stereo? Mono from each board and to FOH means you could go with something like this:

bemx400.jpg

Next, you've got a speaker for backline AND a speaker for personal monitor....why not run your keys along with the other monitor mix into one monitor and let everybody else put whatever keys they want in their own monitor mix? I've already cut your cables and speakers in half and shrunk your mixer.

As for the stand, my 2-tier column stand sets up in 20 seconds or less and is compact for transport. When people say stuff like "it sets up in 10 minutes or less" I'm thinking I'm almost done setting up my whole rig in the time you set up your stand. I know, pedal placement and all that....I use the little Roland DP-2 pedals - they rest up agains the stand just fine and the FC-7 is enough to the right that it clears the legs.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

For me, set up time depends on how much gear I bring, which depends on what the gig is and how much stage room there is. The minimum setup of SK2, pedals, Vent, stands, mixer and monitor is in the twenty minute range. Setting up in a crowded space usually adds to setup time (as I try to avoid bumping my head on everything).

This discussion reminded me about a recurring bad dream that I have had for years. In the dream the band is counting off the first tune while I am still furiously trying to get everything plugged in. That probably comes from from my foolish younger days when I attempted to include multiple effects pedals, some pre-midi synths, a midi-to-voltage convertor and dozens of patch cords in my setup.

Here's where small compromises can go along way, though "small" is in the eye of the beholder. Sounds like you're monitoring in mono so why bother running stereo?
A reasonable question. My hopefully reasonable response is that the backline monitor is for the band's instrumental reference, but I still want keys -- particularly the kurzweil's KB3 organ / leslie -- to be stereo for FOH sound.

Next, you've got a speaker for backline AND a speaker for personal monitor....why not run your keys along with the other monitor mix into one monitor and let everybody else put whatever keys they want in their own monitor mix?
That presumes a particular flexibility on the part of other members of the band. This bunch likes playing through amps on the stage, hearing each other's amps, and getting vocals through wedges. I am the only one who likes mixing instruments and vocals in a personalized monitor feed. I have hopes of converting them to personal IEMs in the future, but it's an uphill slog.

As for the stand, my 2-tier column stand sets up in 20 seconds or less and is compact for transport.

I've had column stands, and found that I really like the flat pedal space instead.

When people say stuff like "it sets up in 10 minutes or less" I'm thinking I'm almost done setting up my whole rig in the time you set up your stand.

That's why I hate you too. :) (<- happy emoji)

My excuses aside, I like your take on it Dan, and I will see what paradigms I can shift a little to allow for that approach. Part of the reality of my situation is a collection of somewhat adamant bandmates.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I hear ya. Although presuming a few things, I would counter.....while IEM's is often a hard sell, a much easier sell would be to just have them put keys in the monitors I'm assuming they are already using. Sounds like FOH has the ability to send monitor mixes and I'm guessing they have monitors besides their amps (like you). One simple change at sound check and you eliminate a whole speaker, stand, and associated cabling without having to convince everybody to going to IEM's. Baby steps. Once they get used to that, you can keep inching them towards IEM's.

As for the pedal space, choice of pedals dictates space needed. I got used to those DP-2's a long time ago. Other pedals would be nice but I'm so used to these that I don't even notice it, and thus don't even need any more pedal space. Again tradeoffs....if different pedals that weren't quite as pleasing to you made a stand work that shaved off 10 min of setup and was more compact in transport/storage, would that be worth it? That's your call, not mine. Also consider stands like the Spider that can help with the pedal space issue (haven't tried myself) in a similar design.

Finally, how many venues run in Stereo FOH and have you verified with anybody that it's noticeable in the mix?

As you may be able to tell, I'm a very "practical" kind of person when it comes to these things. Of course you might also recognize that the source of my practicality is laziness, LOL.

Dan

Unzip 5 carry bags (2 keyboards, mixer, powered speaker, pedals & cables), unfold seat and double stand, put keyboards on stand, put pedals on floor, plug in cables, switch on and check settings ... 15 minutes.

I usually aim to arrive an hour ahead though, to allow for load-in and to avoid rushing.

Depends how much time I have.

Too true!

Depending on the band and the scenario it ranges from 5 - 45 minutes. I have some inefficiencies in my more complex rigs that I could resolve with snakes, TBH.

If I add the laptop that runs video projections in one band that can be an additional 5 min - 2 hours depending on how nicely my laptop and ProPresenter plays with the projector!

For my Genesis tribute band about 40 mins:

Kronos 61

Kronos 73

Hammond SK2

Rack with Prosoloist, Fantom XR, DBX mixers/DI,IEM

Two Quiklok stands

6 pedals

Mic boom

All flightcased

All loomed

R

Alan

Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Cheers, Mike.

My live rig comprises:

Make a pedalboard with pedals and mixer on it, pre-wired! I did and can tell you it's the best thing I ever did in optimising my rig.

Rudy

(Yeah, I got that, it's cool)

[*] Triple pedal switch for PC361, pair of single pedals for the Casio, one gas pedal for the PC361. Fuzzy thin rubber-backed welcome mat for the velcro-hooked pedals, but sometimes the velcro tape stays with the mat.
Make a pedalboard with pedals and mixer on it, pre-wired! I did and can tell you it's the best thing I ever did in optimising my rig.
This. The trick is to make the pedalboard the hub of all connections. So a MIDI lead between Casio and Kurz? Run it down to the pedalboard and back up. Audio from board to tabletop mixer ditto. Loom together appropriately (TechFlex F6) and colour-code or label each connector to accelerate setup.

Cheers, Mike

Cheers, Mike.

My live rig comprises:

Can you transport the Z stand mostly intact? I lay mine in the back of the van with 3 tiers installed, closed up as much as possible but without removing any parts. That saves a lot of time. Extend it out to the right width, tighten 3 knobs, and off I go.

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

It takes me no more than 10mins to set up a Spider Pro stand, 2 keyboards, iPad, and Zoom H6 mixer for IEMs.

The lengthiest part of that 10mins is threading all the wires. Now, if I could find a way to keep these cables permanently attached to the Spider, that would be very useful indeed.....

Yamaha YC73

Korg Kronos2 61

Yamaha CP88

Roland Jupiter 8

Roland JX3P

Roland D50

I can set up my KB rig in about 5 minutes. If I have to set up my PA system too, then it takes about one (1) hour. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I have a snake with custom multipin connectors (thanks to vonnor on the forum). I can roll all of my gear in one trip and have it set up in about 5 minutes.

Same guy made both my snakes. ;)

Seriously though, it varies. We talkin' from car to soundcheck, or if all my cases are lined up on the dancefloor or in the wings? Assuming the latter, I can do it in 10min if I sweat like Jordan but usually about 20min.

Two boards, pre-built USS tinker-toy 2-tier, 2-sp rack, pre-mounted and wired pedaltrain for damper/leslie/vol pedals and mic A/B switch, laptop, mic, Liquid Foot+ Mini, and ear bugs...

I challenge all you "5min or less" people to post up a video of you setting up. I will try to do the same.

I think that'd be cool to see, maybe give others some ideas.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

We talkin' from car to soundcheck, or if all my cases are lined up on the dancefloor or in the wings?

I challenge all you "5min or less" people to post up a video of you setting up. I will try to do the same.

~ vonnor

My "5 minutes" presumed I had already completed my (single) trip from the car.

1) Unfold stand and stool and put in place.

2) Put NS3 on stand. Drop cable bag on stool. Now my rolling speaker case, where my amp lives, is free.

3) Put amp in place and plug in the power and snaked stereo 1/4" cables that live inside the speaker inset.

4) Plug that 1/4-inch in to keyboard. Reach into case and plug power, rotor, swell and sustain pedals into keyboard. Plug 1/4-inch and DI into back of amp.

5) [wildcard] plug both power cables into wall, or into my own conditioner in search of an outlet.

6) Neaten and position cables and pedals.

7) [wildcard] Possibly set up ipad for reading.

8) [wildcard] Store the two cases (keyboard and speaker bag) somewhere.

9) Turn on and play.

It took almost longer to type that, than to do it. F'real.

Now out! "Mind the Gap," a 24-song album of new material.
www.joshweinstein.com

This!!!

Back in the day when I was running a Roland FA-08 and a Yamaha MOXF6, I cobble together my own board...even made a handle.

It had

• 2 FC-7 Expression
  • 1 FC-3 Sustain
  • 1 Boss FS-5L latching switch
  • 1 Radial Pro D2 DI box

This was n the days before I wanted to cut and splice everything so I got a pre-made off the shelf 10 foot 1/4" TRS-1/4" TRS snake.

I used a bunch of TRS coupler inside that little project box.

If you look closely you can see the Ashby FC-7 adapter for one of my FC-7 to work with the Roland Board

All I had to do was put down the board, and plug the snake into my keyboard and in-ear mixer that sat on my FA-08. Simple, easy, and clean look.

2lzE9Y.jpg

Because I am a gadget freak, I am considering making a board and coupler like Master Guru Vonnor has made :)

Although these days with Mainstage rig, I use just 2 pedals. Expression and Sustain.

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I think that'd be cool to see, maybe give others some ideas.

~ vonnor

Heck, even though I can be setup in 10 - 15 once at the stage, my old ass just doesn't like to move fast if I don't have to.

Often times we are playing places where we can load in and setup at any time, so I will go early and take my time. Then I can go home or to the hotel and nap....like the old guy I am ;)

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

I'm at 5 min either way right now, including my mic and runs to the board and back. I'm down to one keyboard (with a backup in the car). Run a snake with keys out, mic out and mon return from me to the board, set up the spider pro and plop the pc3 on it. Take the mon return and plug it into my IEM pack, and I'm good. One sustain pedal mostly used for leslie on/off.

I may get a 2nd keyboard to replace the one I sold recently, but I don't have enough gigs right now through the end of the year to justify it. At home I only use software so it would only be used for live.

Heck the whole band can set up in less than 30 right now. We all go direct, and most of use use IEMs so that really helps (other than acoustic drums). Last gig we used a sub with the new EV "line array" (looks like Bose) tall thin "main". Only one was needed for the small-medium club we were in. So many of our gigs require lower volumes now, so the benefit is that load-in/out is ridiculously awesome :D

My band rig used to take me about 30 minutes that consisted of:

Kawai MP7

Hammond SK1

HX3 module

Small Yamaha mixer on mic stand

Two EV ZXA1 speakers on floor

Bench

Two-tier Z stand

Music stand

New, solo piano rig takes me 5-10 minutes:

Kurzweil KA-90

V3 piano module

Bench

Tabletop stand

Screw playing in bands, lol.

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

It can take (with testing) well over an hour to set up my gear, but the results are well worth it (after all, keyboard players are the "special sauce" in a band, these days).

I'm blown away at your rig and really admire your dedication and work ethic. I'm sure your live show is incredible. I also an jealous of the degree to which you must have everything dialed in with your band. My hats off to you sir!

For my situation playing in my top 40 band, having an hour set up would be ludicrously inefficient as a use of personal time. Don't get me wrong, I am very much dedicated to programming tunes deeply and I do some absurd things to get every part of every tune playable. But not at the cost of bringing more than 2 keyboards. CP4 on the bottom, Montage 7 on top, that's it. If I'm feeling grandiose I'll bring my SK2 also (maybe 2x a year). I can set my rig up in 15 minutes, or as little as 8 if I'm sweatin'.

But check out this math: I play around 100 gigs with my Top 40 band a year. If I took an hour to set up each time, that's 100 hours just to set up!! What about tear down? Say it took half as long, 30 min. That's another 50 hours. That means every year I'd be spending close to a week just setting up and tearing down. As good as I already get everything with my current setup, and knowing how much keyboard sounds really do matter in making the entire performance of the band sound amazing (that is, they matter, but what matters far more is the energy and ability of your singers, your overall stage vibe, how good the rest of the band is, the quality of the sound guy, your ability to PLAY your instrument not just program it) there is for sure an 80/20 principle in play here.

Me, I'd rather have my extra week per year back.

Or better yet, some badass techs to set up all my sh!t for me. But I'm not on tour, I'm in that happy hard working middle class of musician loading in and out of ballrooms and Summer concert stages and setting it all up myself.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

My personal rig takes about 10 minutes:

2 synths, cables, pedals, stand

Amp, mic & stands

Saxophone

He's ready.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

What about tear down? Say it took half as long, 30 min. That's another 50 hours. That means every year I'd be spending close to a week just setting up and tearing down...I'd rather have my extra week per year back.

Yes, for me, teardown is key, it's actually the bigger part of the time calculus. You can't really get back that whole extra week, because a quicker setup doesn't really reduce total gig time, at least for me. It doesn't matter whether I can set up in 5 minutes or 30 minutes because, no matter what, to allow for traffic and such, I'm going to aim to get there well before curtain either way. (And if time gets really tight, I can always find some way to get one keyboard up and sounding in 5 minutes, enough to get through a first set if I have to.)

But yes... once the last note is played, any "excess" time spent packing up is eating into "real" time, and a good night's sleep! The other issue has to do with the moon's gravitational pull or something... all the gear is much heavier on the way out than it was on the way in.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

It depends on the band. For my top-40 dance band, I have recently switched from a 3 board to a 2-board setup with the acquisition of the Kronos 88, and the new Stay stand shaved another 10 min from setup time. With this band(since this band uses in-ears.. so no need to tout an amp), setup is around 6 min tops. With the other bands, setup is a few min longer with the involvement of an amp.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band