Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2936138 - 07/04/18 12:51 PM Selling Software: Anybody have experience
AnthonyM Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hey Guy's,

As you probably guessed from my last two threads, I am doing a clean out of unused keyboards / software etc. I am moving, so taking stock of things I've had that have remain unused.

I did have any additional question for you all though. Have any of you sold previously purchased / used software?

About 10 years ago I purchased what were at the time a few VST Titles which I never had the chance to use live. Two of these are still a little expensive.

At the time, I had a MAC laptop but never had the chance to utilize them like I had planned. Now, ten years later, I would prefer other titles. Some of this software (Appassionata Strings) came with the license on a USB dongle which at the time could not be transferred but this is probably not longer the case. But I don't know for sure.

So have any of the forum members had experience selling software? In the case if #1 below, it has never been loaded into a PC.

I have:
1) Appassionata Strings 1 which new is now selling for $402.00
2) Electric Keys - MOTU which is about $267.00 (I now have Keyscape)
3) The original Analog Collection from years ago: Arturia
4) Arturia Prophet VS (?) - New In Box

Not sure about the title of the last one, since I've packed it away and need to locate it. Should I try to sell these?

KC Island
#2936160 - 07/04/18 03:55 PM Re: Selling Software: Anybody have experience [Re: AnthonyM]
GregC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Discovery Bay, California
Originally Posted By: AnthonyM
Hey Guy's,

As you probably guessed from my last two threads, I am doing a clean out of unused keyboards / software etc. I am moving, so taking stock of things I've had that have remain unused.

I did have any additional question for you all though. Have any of you sold previously purchased / used software?

About 10 years ago I purchased what were at the time a few VST Titles which I never had the chance to use live. Two of these are still a little expensive.

At the time, I had a MAC laptop but never had the chance to utilize them like I had planned. Now, ten years later, I would prefer other titles. Some of this software (Appassionata Strings) came with the license on a USB dongle which at the time could not be transferred but this is probably not longer the case. But I don't know for sure.

So have any of the forum members had experience selling software? In the case if #1 below, it has never been loaded into a PC.

I have:
1) Appassionata Strings 1 which new is now selling for $402.00
2) Electric Keys - MOTU which is about $267.00 (I now have Keyscape)
3) The original Analog Collection from years ago: Arturia
4) Arturia Prophet VS (?) - New In Box

Not sure about the title of the last one, since I've packed it away and need to locate it. Should I try to sell these?

Generally, its not viable to re-sell used software. I understand some folks don't like to consider the legal side or what the 'rules ' are.

I don't know your titles so I don't have a specific suggestion on how you can get some cash out of it.

In general, I think knowledge of ( read the license agreement) what your options are is the way to go. Software is not like hardware from a resale perspective.

#2936164 - 07/04/18 04:44 PM Re: Selling Software: Anybody have experience [Re: GregC]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
I have bought several software VST's from johnchop here on this forum. Never had any problems. Software developed in the EU can be resold once only. Companies that quickly come to mind are Native Instruments, G Force, and Pianoteq. The software I purchased were all Native Instruments.

Quite simply - If you can't play Jump on it, you don't want it.
MojoGuyPan

The Voyager is a Minimoog.
Bob Moog

#2936222 - 07/05/18 02:50 AM Re: Selling Software: Anybody have experience [Re: davedoerfler]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
You need to check with each vendor to check what their transfer fees and rules are. As Dave said any euro vendor must allow transfer. But the packaging of VI's can change over time. For example Appassionata is now part of VSL's standard or full library so the sale of a license to one VI in a libray may not be possible.

I have bought licenses to numerous VI's including Pianoteq from vendors here and at KVR without any issues with the license transfered to my account VI developer. Acquiring a license this way and then upgrading to the current version can be a lower cost option.

#2936266 - 07/05/18 08:09 AM Re: Selling Software: Anybody have experience [Re: Markay]
AnthonyM Offline

Hello Again Markay:

Regarding Appasionata, I still see this being sold online as Appasionata Strings 1 and 2 separately. The former going for $427.00 I believe, which is the one I probably have. I also have a separate USB ILOK dongle for it. My licenses are managed in ILOK manager.

I didn't know what you meant by license transfered to my account VI developer.

What's usually a good percentage for selling used software?

#2936267 - 07/05/18 08:09 AM Re: Selling Software: Anybody have experience [Re: AnthonyM]
AnthonyM Offline

Also... do people do this on Ebay or just private forums?

#2936382 - 07/05/18 09:13 PM Re: Selling Software: Anybody have experience [Re: AnthonyM]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
But donít used ones and zeros lose some sound quality...?

#2936401 - 07/06/18 01:52 AM Re: Selling Software: Anybody have experience [Re: AnthonyM]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Anthony I have only bought through the marketplace at KVR and here from folks who were established forum members.

Generally 66% of the current price, depends on demand for the VI.

But first you need to check that the VI vendor supports license transfer, they will also tell you how to deregister the VI from your iLok account so it can be transferred to the buyers account.