Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2936109 - 07/04/18 09:46 AM DX7-II D ~ Selling New In Box: Questions
AnthonyM Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Hey Guy's,

I decided to make this a new thread rather than incorporate in my older one.
---
Over 10 years ago, I purchased 2 DX7 II-D keyboards new in the box from a former Yamaha dealer, and a third new from a previous owner. I have opened one of the first two I purchased from the dealer to insure that the unit powers up etc before listing on Ebay, and to take pictures of it for the listing. The other is in storage.

As expected, the unit powered up but it's internal programs are initialized. I of course did not expect the original battery to hold it's charge for over 30 years. But I do not hear any initialized program sounds coming from the headphone output with random characters for the program names. The headphone out is totally silent outside of the thump of the power on/off, so there is sound going to the output. Unfortunately, I do not have a cartridge for testing. Is this anything to worry about? I thought I would at least here a test tone. Opening the box, I felt like I've gone back in time! o

Some of our forum members advised that I should be able to ask $1500 easily for a NIB unit.... but is this still the case if the new owner needs to replace the battery and purchase a cartridge to re-load the factory sounds? Of course they can also do this via SysEx

~ Anthony

KC Island
#2936118 - 07/04/18 10:37 AM Re: DX7-II D ~ Selling New In Box: Questions [Re: AnthonyM]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
If the battery is like the original DX7 it's soldered to the motherboard. Not a hard job to do if you have some experience with a soldering iron and patience, since you'd have to disconnect the motherboard & remove it (again, if it's like the original DX7. Maybe the 2nd gen DXs went to socketed batteries, that would make things real easy).

As far as testing the sounds, I could be wrong but in edit mode I think you can manually initialize a patch ("INIT PATCH") – which should give you a sine wave tone. You can also use a sysex program for your computer to load any of the tons of DX7 patches available online (which I'm sure include the factory sounds).

#2936129 - 07/04/18 11:40 AM Re: DX7-II D ~ Selling New In Box: Questions [Re: Reezekeys]
AnthonyM Offline

Ok thanks Reezekeys - I've since repacked it before reading your reply and am hoping that it will be in working order once reloaded. There is no reason why it shouldn't be. I didn't hear any sine tone, but thought that the sounds themselves initialized automatically.

The first patch read:
INT 1 4*PvI*1**0

As for the battery, I've checked online, and it is soldered in. I checked a video online. It does pop out of a holder which is soldered to the motherboard. Here's an important question though: Am I to assume that the battery has corroded over time as well damaging the motherboard? If the unit powers up and changes patches etc, I wouldn't think so.

#2936133 - 07/04/18 12:15 PM Re: DX7-II D ~ Selling New In Box: Questions [Re: AnthonyM]
ajstan Offline

Loc: USA
Here’s a link that goes through how to open up the unit and change the battery. While it’s for a DX7-s, it was the applicable for my IIFD when I upgraded the EPROM to v1.9. My battery did not have a holder, it had prongs that were soldered directly to the board. Also, if you open it up, keep in mind that the screws that hold the bottom cover on are different sizes so you’ll want to make sure you put them back in the correct spots.

http://www.alexannesty.com/music/dx7s-battery-replacement

#2936287 - 07/05/18 09:48 AM Re: DX7-II D ~ Selling New In Box: Questions [Re: ajstan]
AnthonyM Offline

Hello ajstan - thank you for the link. As just mentioned I've purchased a DX7 II ROM Cartridge online for testing so I can sell two of my three unit's with confidence that they will not be returned.

Noticed in your equipment list that you have a Nord Stage 3 88. I've recently purchased the Compact version of that keyboard. I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it's a great board. Enjoy!

#2936369 - 07/05/18 06:08 PM Re: DX7-II D ~ Selling New In Box: Questions [Re: AnthonyM]
ajstan Offline

Loc: USA
Glad to be of some help AnthonyM. Might as well provide a link to the DX/TX forum too. Nice helpful people there who are into preserving their vintage Yamaha equipment.

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=35

FWIW, I sold my DX7-IIFD last year for $700. It was in excellent condition even though I gigged with it regularly back when it was new. Original battery was still at 2.9v and working after 30 years!

Nord has some nice DX sounds including the tines piano. Maybe we’ll see you over at the Nord forums too. Good luck!

#2936556 - 07/06/18 05:31 PM Re: DX7-II D ~ Selling New In Box: Questions [Re: AnthonyM]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
Originally Posted By: AnthonyM
Ok thanks Reezekeys - I've since repacked it before reading your reply and am hoping that it will be in working order once reloaded. There is no reason why it shouldn't be. I didn't hear any sine tone, but thought that the sounds themselves initialized automatically.

The first patch read:
INT 1 4*PvI*1**0

Looks to me like the memory is corrupted – the gibberish name, along with no sound, is a clue. Most likely a dead battery. Sounds do not initialize automatically.

As for the battery, I've checked online, and it is soldered in. I checked a video online. It does pop out of a holder which is soldered to the motherboard.

You just contradicted yourself a little. If there is an actual battery holder then the battery itself is not soldered in – only the holder is! That's a good thing – it's easy to pop out the old battery and insert a new one. If you just see the battery by itself (a silver disc) with no holder, the battery type is like the original DX7: it has tabs built into it that are soldered to the motherboard, and that's a bear to replace – it must be desoldered.

Here's an important question though: Am I to assume that the battery has corroded over time as well damaging the motherboard? If the unit powers up and changes patches etc, I wouldn't think so.

If it's corroded and has damaged the motherboard you will most likely see visual evidence. My guess is that it's just dead.