Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2936039 - 07/04/18 01:39 AM How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig?
goatghost Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
I remember playing rhythm guitar in a 4-piece junior high school garage band. The band consisted of lead guitar, rhythm guitar, bass, and drums. Our drummer (who had a 6-piece kit, including cymbals and Rototoms), always had the most gear to set up. But, once I discovered and was able to afford synths, ***I*** became the one with the longest setup time.

With my current band (many years later), my live rig involves setting up a computer, computer keyboard and mouse, LCD monitor, two synths, a MIDI keyboard controller, a MIDI merger, a MIDI thru box, two MIDI bass pedals, keyboard audio outs, click-track outs, a wireless headset and receiver, a wireless guitar transmitter and receiver (I double on rhythm guitar), three guitars, and various effects pedals. It can take (with testing) well over an hour to set up my gear, but the results are well worth it (after all, keyboard players are the "special sauce" in a band, these days).

I'm curious...how long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? :-)

KC Island
#2936040 - 07/04/18 01:56 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: goatghost]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Wow, I'm the exact opposite. Two boards, stand, pedalboard (with built-in loomed cables), mixer, IEMs. I take 10 mins to set up, and 5 to tear down (provided no-one's obstructing me on stage). Life's too short otherwise...

Cheers, Mike.

#2936041 - 07/04/18 01:59 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: goatghost]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Groningen, The netherlands
My live rig for my pop band is extremely streamlined. It took me quite some iterations to get to this point, but after doing a lot of festival gigs with 10 minute change over, I designed my rig to be optimised for setup time, while still giving my the flexibility to cover all my sounds. I have a DSI mopho and a Nord A1, a pedalboard (containing mixer, IEM mixer, delay pedal, Micromonsta synth module and power) and an Aphex stand (I might add an extra Akai mpx8 sampler). Everything is pre-wired from the pedal board. I literally can setup within 3 minutes or so.

#2936051 - 07/04/18 03:55 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: goatghost]
SteveCoscia Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Philadelphia, PA USA
Mine setup is simple. No amp or mixer.

Just a PX-560M, a damper pedal, a foldable keyboard stand & piano bench.

Less than 5 minutes - probably 3.

#2936057 - 07/04/18 04:41 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: SteveCoscia]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE
My 3 board rig that I use in the PF tribute takes maybe 15 minutes. 3 keyboards, stand, rack on a stand, 2 monitors, 5 pedals, midi thru box with 3 cables. The pedals take the longest because I don't have them on a board. The rack has a snake of 6 cables coming out from the mixer. Prewiring as much as you can is the key for a quicker setup/teardown.

In my other band we can be loading out the last piece of gear not much more than 30 minutes from the last note if we do it with purpose. Full PA, lights, all our gear. The venues love us lol.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2936059 - 07/04/18 04:54 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: DanL]
stillearning Offline

Prog bands in the 70ís and 80ís? Four keyboards on two stands with pedals and rack gear... about an hour. (Although some bands had a full crew, in which case Iíd show up and play)

These days, never a crew. Nord Stage, pre-wired pedal board, stand, bench, in-ears... maybe 5 - 10 minutes.

#2936060 - 07/04/18 05:02 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: stillearning]
eric Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Virginia
I use a single keyboard (NS2 of one kind or another) on a custom keyboard stand and an offstage rack. I have a snake with custom multipin connectors (thanks to vonnor on the forum). I can roll all of my gear in one trip and have it set up in about 5 minutes.

#2936065 - 07/04/18 05:23 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: eric]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Depends how much time I have.

#2936070 - 07/04/18 06:06 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: AnotherScott]
JerryA Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: New England
What Another Scott said.

It also depends on how much of soundtest / soundcheck you include. The physical setup is 5-15 minutes depending on rig complexity. However I tend not to do multi-act shows, so there is more time available. A recent NYC show took 30 enjoyable minutes to dial in with a very competent sound guy who wanted to make sure my monitor mix was precisely correct.

If the whole band is comfortable you are going to have a better night, so you might as well take the time to get it right if you have the luxury.

#2936071 - 07/04/18 06:08 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: JerryA]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Thus far, about 10 years I recon

#2936075 - 07/04/18 06:49 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Theo Verelst]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
I'll assume you mean setup time once all the gear is loaded into the performance space. I'll guess it takes me about 10-15 relaxed minutes to get my keyboard on its stand, set my speakers up behind me, and wire everything to & from from my laptop rig. I can cut that time down if I'm in a rush but as I've gotten older I've learned to get to gigs early enough to avoid the stress of a rushed load-in & setup. I'll be booting the computer and loading my software as I finish my setup, so no extra time is used for that part.

#2936086 - 07/04/18 07:33 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Theo Verelst]
ChiefDanG Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By: Theo Verelst

roll roll roll
Sometimes I get people at a gig asking me, "How long you been playing keyboards?"
I tell them - since 7:30.
Set-up time = 10 minutes, if I hurry - but I never hurry. So, @ 20 minutes. Then I set up the lights, which I run during the gig. That takes @ 20-30 minutes.
Always arrive at least 90 minutes before downbeat - ready for sound check 1/2 hour B4 hand.

#2936092 - 07/04/18 08:01 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: ChiefDanG]
BenWaB3 Offline

Loc: Lancaster, PA
I can be loaded in/set up or torn down/loaded out in 20 minutes max, but then kind of feel obligated to help with the PA which adds over an hour on load out or 2+ hours on load in, something I hate but don't think it's fair to everyone else to just bug out once I'm finished. As far as the solo jobs it's 5-10 minutes depending on set up circumstances.

#2936094 - 07/04/18 08:08 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: BenWaB3]
sagetunes Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
NE4 73sw, vent, powered speaker, xlr to FOH, stand, seat...
11 minutes

#2936097 - 07/04/18 08:33 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: BenWaB3]
Delaware Dave Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
My pet peave (I'm surprised I didn't start this thread). Two keyboards, stand, gemini table top, voce midi drawbars, 3 midi cables, 6 or more audio cables, 6+ power cables, 3 pedals, mixer, powered speaker, midi box. My big issue is that I put the mixer, midi drawbars, gemini in cases then put the cases in a wheeled bag. Removing everything from the cases and then hooking up the connectors, power cables, audio cables and midi cords is the time grinder for me. I've contemplated a pre-wired rack to speed up the process but I find for different gigs I have different needs and then I'd start robbing from the rack (I've been down this path in the past). It takes 30 rushed minutes to get everything setup, then there's the fire it up and see what's not working time. Typically another 5-10 minutes.

I've been longing for the Crumar DMC in a single manual version (76 key) w/ the built in Gemini. This would allow me to reduce my setup by 15 minutes since the Voce drawbar, gemini module and all of the associated hookups wouldn't be necessary including the unboxing and reboxing at the end of the night. I'd need one Midi cord to play from the bottom keyboard for piano and lower manual organ. The Single manual DMC could also be used for smaller gigs where only one keyboard is necessary. The alternative would be an E5 or E6 rather than wait for Guido to produce such an item (which he may never actually do) but I'm just not happy with the E5/E6 sounds enough to go that route so I struggle on.

#2936101 - 07/04/18 08:55 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Delaware Dave]
Sven Golly Offline
KC Ambassador of Goodwill
10k Club

Loc: Toronto, ON
Are you talking to ***ME***???

roll

It depends on the gig, but if it took me an hour to set up for a gig, I'd never get another gig, nor would I want to. 30 minutes at the outside.

#2936103 - 07/04/18 09:14 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Theo Verelst]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Haha!

#2936105 - 07/04/18 09:26 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: RudyS]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

I have to set up 1 keyboard, 1 stand, 2 pedals, 2 speakers and 2 speaker stands. That's for keys. Then I set up sax and stand and wireless mic transmitter and receiver and connect to PA. I can do it fairly fast if I have to but I hate doing that. I always do something wrong. I like to take my time and make sure everything is set up just the way I want it, with good sound, volume control, etc. I could do it in 10-15 minutes under pressure but I'd rather take half an hour and be less stressed and more relaxed for the gig.

#2936107 - 07/04/18 09:41 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: El Lobo]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
for the 80's band which I have officially left but am filling in this summer twice - a good 25 min.+, I like to set up nice and slow, not always possible though. I really needed to set something up for faster turn around and pre-wire a rack(s) but just thinking of that solution was taking time! Not always easy actually for a gig like that! There are a lots of small pieces of gear too and future rooms and stages to consider...part of the reason I had to leave ...there were many others though that were greater. Taking care of my aging folks being numero uno!

for blues gigs, rock and jazz cocktail ...they are all about 10-15 min...easy peasy - a piano only, a piano(dp)/organ , just the organ ...an amp, maybe a small rack, seat....easy compared to the 80's gig the way I did it!

I'm admittedly out of my league logistically/physically to some degree for gigs like that anymore without a roadie here at age 63, it's been a long time since I've had to play any music with special requirements on a level needed for a gig like that . . .though I enjoyed building it and programming it, I found setting it up and breaking it down was to much work for me for the type of band it was and how they worked...it sounded and played great though.

both minus load-in time

Edited by Legatoboy (07/04/18 09:51 AM)

#2936108 - 07/04/18 09:45 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Legatoboy]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
Not sure where the time begins, but this means from "inside cases" to "ready to play, I can be done in 5 mins if I have to. However, that's the raw set-up time. There are usually other elements in play, like adjusting monitor position or a BL deciding he really wants the keys on the left instead of the right this time, or the drummer bringing the drums onto the stage right over the top of my board so I move it aside, or me hitting on the woman running the lights and forgetting we are at a gig.

#2936111 - 07/04/18 09:52 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: MathOfInsects]
Nadroj Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Edinburgh, Scotland
Gig dependant. I can do it in 5 mins but I'm usually sweating like hell and not quite confident of the position of everything if I've got both keyboards out.

15-20 mins is the comfortable norm for my "full" rig.

#2936113 - 07/04/18 09:54 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: MathOfInsects]
Sam Mullins Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Iowa City, Iowa
For the keyboards and associated gear (Kronos, Stage 2, mixer, amp and pedal board) only about 15-20 minutes. But in my duo I also bring PA...so about an hour for all of it.

#2936117 - 07/04/18 10:32 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Sam Mullins]
Aussie_Chicago Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicago, Illinois
Not including lug in , to actually set up takes me about 5-6 mins. Legend organ going into a Leslie , easiest setup Ive had in years.

#2936121 - 07/04/18 11:01 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Aussie_Chicago]
keyman27 Offline

Loc: United States
NS2 & Spacestation has been my rig for a couple years now. About 5 minutes. I usually sit while I play, so a bench & a platform stand is the 2nd trip from the car.

If I use the Vent, then I also need my little MX28 mixer. This adds another 5 minutes.

If I'm providing PA, then I bring a Behringer XR18 stage box & laptop, 4 powered PA speakers, mics & stands, etc. That takes an hour or so.

#2936122 - 07/04/18 11:06 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: keyman27]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: keyman27
NS2 & Spacestation has been my rig for a couple years now. About 5 minutes. I usually sit while I play, so a bench & a platform stand is the 2nd trip from the car.

Or you could try sitting on the Spacestation!

#2936127 - 07/04/18 11:26 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: AnotherScott]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Once I am at the stage, 15 minutes tops.

Onstage two -tier Z
PX-5S
Arturia Keylab 61
Laptop stand with Macbook
Two USB cables to MBP from the keys
One USB to audio i/o
Two short 1/4inch from audio i/o to Radial Pro D2 DI

Done.

I never fully breakdown the Z. At the end of a gig I just remove the 2nd tier, and fold the bottom.

No Amps or anything else to deal with.

#2936140 - 07/04/18 12:55 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: EscapeRocks]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
About 20 min. 2 keyboards on a stand, mic boom and mic, midi cable, 2 sustain, one swe'll, click to drummer, keys and POD to radial DI loop out to small mixer to K10. While the Kronos Boots I tune my guitar E and am ready to sound check.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2936143 - 07/04/18 01:08 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: J. Dan]
Iconoclast Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona
Pretty complicated setup here but I'd still say maybe 20 minutes max. If the stage is crowded or dark and I don't have easy access to the back of my boards then it goes a little slower. If it's well lit with room and an easy schlep I'd go with 15 if I'm working hard.

Kurz Forte, Hammond XK3c, Mainstage with both keyboards integrated, Steinberg I/O device, Line6 XTL for organ effects and volume, Motion Sound M20D amp.

The real problem is I also typically schlep my guitar rig, which is pretty simple but it still adds another 10-15.

Line6 Helix with two FRFR speakers, two guitars.

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

#2936145 - 07/04/18 01:30 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Iconoclast]
David Emm Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Solder Huffer's Gulch
At peak, I had two 'boards and two modules. Biggest time-suck: assembling my Invisible Support Stand 2-tier model. Everything else came with cords rolled and labeled, including surge protector/line conditioner. I surprised and pleased a few engineers by handing them balanced stereo outs from my mixer and saying "Here ya go." I learned early on to save us all some setup grief that way. Praise early Prophet synths, Roland gear and sound people who knew WTF they were doing. That included a very savvy girl who all but had the Abbey Road studio in her head. Its good to learn from people who can humble you handily.
wink

https://soundcloud.com/david-emm-1

#2936146 - 07/04/18 01:30 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Iconoclast]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
15 minutes, if everyone stays out of my way.

#2936151 - 07/04/18 02:03 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: stoken6]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Loc: West Virginia
Originally Posted By: stoken6
I take 10 mins to set up, and 5 to tear down.
Mike,
Although we've never met, I hate you. frown
M-Audio Keystation 88, Axiom 61

#2936154 - 07/04/18 02:27 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Tom Williams]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: Tom Williams

Wow a frown emoji, you're not joking.

OK Tom, deep breath - talk me through it. What's your live rig, and what steps do you take to set up? I bet can make it quicker, one plug at a time.

Cheers, Mike.

#2936157 - 07/04/18 02:39 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Bobby Simons]
goatghost Offline

Wow...all great replies!!! Thanks to everyone who responded. Let's keep the comments going!

My 1+ hour setup does include guitars and effects pedals, as well as a basic soundcheck and any "why isn't any sound coming from my controller?" troubleshooting...lol

When I got back into playing (after a 20 year hiatus), I streamlined my rig down from a rack containing 8 modules to one MIDI controller (Roland A-50) and one module (E-Mu Vintage Keys Plus). Now, it's inched back up to 3 keyboards and a Mac.

I suppose there are benefits and drawbacks to the size of setup you have. For blues gigs, probably only one keyboard might be needed. For prog rock, maybe 3 or more. :-)

#2936163 - 07/04/18 04:37 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: goatghost]
theGman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Parts Unknown, Virginia
2 boards, Spider Pro, Little Mackie SRM150 monitor on a mike stand, Rolls 28 mixer. Usually play through FOH, otherwise a powered speaker, K10 or Electro BR549?.
Actual setup time about 15 min, but add 10 min from vehicle to stage, 10 min reload, and a fair amt. of time waiting for everyone else to get out of the way probably 15 min.
I usually bring my roadie and she saves me about 10 total minutes carrying stuff to stage area/return at end.

I set up usually stage right rear, and there is always someone or two running cables in front of or behind me. Very irritating, so I try to arrive way early, to get mostly set up before others arrive. Gig Karma means I am usually last to load out.

#2936166 - 07/04/18 05:07 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: theGman]
Canoehead Offline

Loc: Belleville, Ontario, Canada
3 or 4 keyboards, 1 or 2 stands, K10, and pedal board. About 15 minute setup time. Cable looms are the key! Also, I trialled and practiced various pocedures until I found the quickest/most efficient.

#2936169 - 07/04/18 05:40 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Canoehead]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

I've found over the years that the key to quick setup/teardown of any rig is to know exactly what you're doing and have a routine. For complex cabling, as mentioned, looms or custom snakes as I've done in the past and many do now can save a lot of time. But even without that, cable per purpose, order of operations, etc all make a difference. For me it's routine right down to what I carry each trip to/from the car, where I set it down, which cables get plugged in first/last, etc.

I recently filled in with my old acoustic band who's been playing with a different bass player for quite a while. Playing was fun but setup was excruciating. They brought their own PA but all the cables were bundled in a large suitcase. Once they decided where everything was going to go, then it's like they're figuring out on the fly how to hook it all up, then fire up and things don't work. Cables are bad, then we don't have long enough cables to replace the ones that didn't work. At one point early on one of the guys said "wow, we're going to be set up with plenty of time to spare". I though to myself "I seriously doubt it". Sure enough with all of the debacle of bad cables and failed sound checks (feedback starts and the guitar player just pulls down all of the faders, meaning we have to start over.....that happened about 4 times). Ran out of time and started playing with what we had, only to find out after the first set that the mains were off. Chaos.

When I used to bring my PA, everything was labeled, every cable had a purpose, they were packed in an organized way - everything in a rack, Speakons to the speakers, each monitor out labeled, each channel labeled, to where each person could pug in their own, mic, instrument, and monitor - done.

Back to keyboards - if you have to figure it out when you get there, it'll take much longer than going through a predetermined routine.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2936171 - 07/04/18 05:48 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: stoken6]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Worry not; it's meant to convey childish sulking due to envy -- not hatred.

OK Tom, deep breath - talk me through it. What's your live rig, and what steps do you take to set up? I bet can make it quicker, one plug at a time.
Cheers, Mike.

My live rig comprises:
  • Heck, I probably spend 10 minutes just unpacking and setting up my 2-tier Z-stand.
  • Two keyboards: lightweight Casio PX-5S on the bottom and a moderate-weight PC361 on top.
  • AX-Synth to the side for showing off guitar licks.
  • Triple pedal switch for PC361, pair of single pedals for the Casio, one gas pedal for the PC361. Fuzzy thin rubber-backed welcome mat for the velcro-hooked pedals, but sometimes the velcro tape stays with the mat.
  • Mackie mixing board (for now) mixing down two stereo keyboard rigs plus mono AX-Synth (5 cables) into a single stereo feed for the sound guy. Probably changing to an XR-12 or -16 in the near future.
  • 12" powered speaker on a stand for backline (not my choice -- I prefer IEMs)
  • 8" powered speaker on a stand for my personal monitor from FOH or monitor board, depending on the gig.
  • 20" fan so I don't swim in my own sweat.
Setup lasts probably a total of 30 minutes plus sparring with sound man for good monitor feed.

Edited by Tom Williams (07/04/18 05:54 PM)

#2936176 - 07/04/18 06:26 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Tom Williams]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

My live rig comprises:
  • Heck, I probably spend 10 minutes just unpacking and setting up my 2-tier Z-stand.
  • Two keyboards: lightweight Casio PX-5S on the bottom and a moderate-weight PC361 on top.
  • Triple pedal switch for PC361, pair of single pedals for the Casio, one gas pedal for the PC361. Fuzzy thin rubber-backed welcome mat for the velcro-hooked pedals, but sometimes the velcro tape stays with the mat.
  • Mackie mixing board (for now) mixing down two stereo keyboard rigs plus mono AX-Synth (5 cables) into a single stereo feed for the sound guy. Probably changing to an XR-12 or -16 in the near future.
  • 8" powered speaker on a stand for my personal monitor from FOH or monitor board, depending on the gig.
Setup lasts probably a total of 30 minutes plus sparring with sound man for good monitor feed.

Here's where small compromises can go along way, though "small" is in the eye of the beholder. Sounds like you're monitoring in mono so why bother running stereo? Mono from each board and to FOH means you could go with something like this:

Next, you've got a speaker for backline AND a speaker for personal monitor....why not run your keys along with the other monitor mix into one monitor and let everybody else put whatever keys they want in their own monitor mix? I've already cut your cables and speakers in half and shrunk your mixer.

As for the stand, my 2-tier column stand sets up in 20 seconds or less and is compact for transport. When people say stuff like "it sets up in 10 minutes or less" I'm thinking I'm almost done setting up my whole rig in the time you set up your stand. I know, pedal placement and all that....I use the little Roland DP-2 pedals - they rest up agains the stand just fine and the FC-7 is enough to the right that it clears the legs.

#2936179 - 07/04/18 06:50 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: J. Dan]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
For me, set up time depends on how much gear I bring, which depends on what the gig is and how much stage room there is. The minimum setup of SK2, pedals, Vent, stands, mixer and monitor is in the twenty minute range. Setting up in a crowded space usually adds to setup time (as I try to avoid bumping my head on everything).

This discussion reminded me about a recurring bad dream that I have had for years. In the dream the band is counting off the first tune while I am still furiously trying to get everything plugged in. That probably comes from from my foolish younger days when I attempted to include multiple effects pedals, some pre-midi synths, a midi-to-voltage convertor and dozens of patch cords in my setup.

#2936183 - 07/04/18 07:39 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: J. Dan]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: J. Dan
Here's where small compromises can go along way, though "small" is in the eye of the beholder. Sounds like you're monitoring in mono so why bother running stereo?
A reasonable question. My hopefully reasonable response is that the backline monitor is for the band's instrumental reference, but I still want keys -- particularly the kurzweil's KB3 organ / leslie -- to be stereo for FOH sound.
Next, you've got a speaker for backline AND a speaker for personal monitor....why not run your keys along with the other monitor mix into one monitor and let everybody else put whatever keys they want in their own monitor mix?
That presumes a particular flexibility on the part of other members of the band. This bunch likes playing through amps on the stage, hearing each other's amps, and getting vocals through wedges. I am the only one who likes mixing instruments and vocals in a personalized monitor feed. I have hopes of converting them to personal IEMs in the future, but it's an uphill slog.

As for the stand, my 2-tier column stand sets up in 20 seconds or less and is compact for transport.
I've had column stands, and found that I really like the flat pedal space instead.

When people say stuff like "it sets up in 10 minutes or less" I'm thinking I'm almost done setting up my whole rig in the time you set up your stand.
That's why I hate you too. smile (<- happy emoji)

My excuses aside, I like your take on it Dan, and I will see what paradigms I can shift a little to allow for that approach. Part of the reality of my situation is a collection of somewhat adamant bandmates.

#2936187 - 07/04/18 08:01 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Tom Williams]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

I hear ya. Although presuming a few things, I would counter.....while IEM's is often a hard sell, a much easier sell would be to just have them put keys in the monitors I'm assuming they are already using. Sounds like FOH has the ability to send monitor mixes and I'm guessing they have monitors besides their amps (like you). One simple change at sound check and you eliminate a whole speaker, stand, and associated cabling without having to convince everybody to going to IEM's. Baby steps. Once they get used to that, you can keep inching them towards IEM's.

As for the pedal space, choice of pedals dictates space needed. I got used to those DP-2's a long time ago. Other pedals would be nice but I'm so used to these that I don't even notice it, and thus don't even need any more pedal space. Again tradeoffs....if different pedals that weren't quite as pleasing to you made a stand work that shaved off 10 min of setup and was more compact in transport/storage, would that be worth it? That's your call, not mine. Also consider stands like the Spider that can help with the pedal space issue (haven't tried myself) in a similar design.

Finally, how many venues run in Stereo FOH and have you verified with anybody that it's noticeable in the mix?

As you may be able to tell, I'm a very "practical" kind of person when it comes to these things. Of course you might also recognize that the source of my practicality is laziness, LOL.

#2936189 - 07/04/18 08:08 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Tom Williams]
Paul Harrison Offline

Loc: Adelaide, Australia
Unzip 5 carry bags (2 keyboards, mixer, powered speaker, pedals & cables), unfold seat and double stand, put keyboards on stand, put pedals on floor, plug in cables, switch on and check settings ... 15 minutes.

I usually aim to arrive an hour ahead though, to allow for load-in and to avoid rushing.

#2936200 - 07/04/18 09:38 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: AnotherScott]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

Too true!

Depending on the band and the scenario it ranges from 5 - 45 minutes. I have some inefficiencies in my more complex rigs that I could resolve with snakes, TBH.

If I add the laptop that runs video projections in one band that can be an additional 5 min - 2 hours depending on how nicely my laptop and ProPresenter plays with the projector!

#2936219 - 07/05/18 01:48 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: CowboyNQ]
Losendoskeys Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: West Sussex, UK
For my Genesis tribute band about 40 mins:

Kronos 61
Kronos 73
Hammond SK2
Rack with Prosoloist, Fantom XR, DBX mixers/DI,IEM
Two Quiklok stands
6 pedals
Mic boom
All flightcased
All loomed

R
Alan

#2936224 - 07/05/18 03:01 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Tom Williams]
RudyS Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Cheers, Mike.

My live rig comprises:

Make a pedalboard with pedals and mixer on it, pre-wired! I did and can tell you it's the best thing I ever did in optimising my rig.

#2936233 - 07/05/18 04:48 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: RudyS]
stoken6 Offline
Platinum Member

(Yeah, I got that, it's cool)

Originally Posted By: RudyS
[*] Triple pedal switch for PC361, pair of single pedals for the Casio, one gas pedal for the PC361. Fuzzy thin rubber-backed welcome mat for the velcro-hooked pedals, but sometimes the velcro tape stays with the mat.
Make a pedalboard with pedals and mixer on it, pre-wired! I did and can tell you it's the best thing I ever did in optimising my rig.
This. The trick is to make the pedalboard the hub of all connections. So a MIDI lead between Casio and Kurz? Run it down to the pedalboard and back up. Audio from board to tabletop mixer ditto. Loom together appropriately (TechFlex F6) and colour-code or label each connector to accelerate setup.

Cheers, Mike

#2936236 - 07/05/18 05:06 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Tom Williams]
DanL Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: DE

Cheers, Mike.

My live rig comprises:

Can you transport the Z stand mostly intact? I lay mine in the back of the van with 3 tiers installed, closed up as much as possible but without removing any parts. That saves a lot of time. Extend it out to the right width, tighten 3 knobs, and off I go.
www.echoesrocks.com

#2936248 - 07/05/18 06:27 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Bobby Simons]
Dave Keys Offline

Loc: Birmingham UK
It takes me no more than 10mins to set up a Spider Pro stand, 2 keyboards, iPad, and Zoom H6 mixer for IEMs.
The lengthiest part of that 10mins is threading all the wires. Now, if I could find a way to keep these cables permanently attached to the Spider, that would be very useful indeed.....
Roland Jupiter 8
Roland JX3P

#2936250 - 07/05/18 06:37 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: DanL]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
I can set up my KB rig in about 5 minutes. If I have to set up my PA system too, then it takes about one (1) hour. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2936262 - 07/05/18 07:42 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: eric]
vonnor Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Centreville, VA USA
Originally Posted By: eric
I have a snake with custom multipin connectors (thanks to vonnor on the forum). I can roll all of my gear in one trip and have it set up in about 5 minutes.

Same guy made both my snakes. wink

Seriously though, it varies. We talkin' from car to soundcheck, or if all my cases are lined up on the dancefloor or in the wings? Assuming the latter, I can do it in 10min if I sweat like Jordan but usually about 20min.

Two boards, pre-built USS tinker-toy 2-tier, 2-sp rack, pre-mounted and wired pedaltrain for damper/leslie/vol pedals and mic A/B switch, laptop, mic, Liquid Foot+ Mini, and ear bugs...

I challenge all you "5min or less" people to post up a video of you setting up. I will try to do the same.

I think that'd be cool to see, maybe give others some ideas.

~ vonnor

Edited by vonnor (07/05/18 07:43 AM)

#2936277 - 07/05/18 08:58 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: vonnor]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: vonnor

We talkin' from car to soundcheck, or if all my cases are lined up on the dancefloor or in the wings?

I challenge all you "5min or less" people to post up a video of you setting up. I will try to do the same.

~ vonnor

My "5 minutes" presumed I had already completed my (single) trip from the car.

1) Unfold stand and stool and put in place.

2) Put NS3 on stand. Drop cable bag on stool. Now my rolling speaker case, where my amp lives, is free.

3) Put amp in place and plug in the power and snaked stereo 1/4" cables that live inside the speaker inset.

4) Plug that 1/4-inch in to keyboard. Reach into case and plug power, rotor, swell and sustain pedals into keyboard. Plug 1/4-inch and DI into back of amp.

5) [wildcard] plug both power cables into wall, or into my own conditioner in search of an outlet.

6) Neaten and position cables and pedals.

7) [wildcard] Possibly set up ipad for reading.

8) [wildcard] Store the two cases (keyboard and speaker bag) somewhere.

9) Turn on and play.

It took almost longer to type that, than to do it. F'real.

#2936286 - 07/05/18 09:46 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: RudyS]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: RudyS

This!!!

Back in the day when I was running a Roland FA-08 and a Yamaha MOXF6, I cobble together my own board...even made a handle.

It had

• 2 FC-7 Expression
  • 1 FC-3 Sustain
  • 1 Boss FS-5L latching switch
  • 1 Radial Pro D2 DI box

This was n the days before I wanted to cut and splice everything so I got a pre-made off the shelf 10 foot 1/4" TRS-1/4" TRS snake.

I used a bunch of TRS coupler inside that little project box.
If you look closely you can see the Ashby FC-7 adapter for one of my FC-7 to work with the Roland Board

All I had to do was put down the board, and plug the snake into my keyboard and in-ear mixer that sat on my FA-08. Simple, easy, and clean look.

Because I am a gadget freak, I am considering making a board and coupler like Master Guru Vonnor has made smile

Although these days with Mainstage rig, I use just 2 pedals. Expression and Sustain.

#2936289 - 07/05/18 09:49 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: vonnor]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I think that'd be cool to see, maybe give others some ideas.

~ vonnor

Heck, even though I can be setup in 10 - 15 once at the stage, my old ass just doesn't like to move fast if I don't have to.

Often times we are playing places where we can load in and setup at any time, so I will go early and take my time. Then I can go home or to the hotel and nap....like the old guy I am wink

#2936292 - 07/05/18 09:57 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: EscapeRocks]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I'm at 5 min either way right now, including my mic and runs to the board and back. I'm down to one keyboard (with a backup in the car). Run a snake with keys out, mic out and mon return from me to the board, set up the spider pro and plop the pc3 on it. Take the mon return and plug it into my IEM pack, and I'm good. One sustain pedal mostly used for leslie on/off.

I may get a 2nd keyboard to replace the one I sold recently, but I don't have enough gigs right now through the end of the year to justify it. At home I only use software so it would only be used for live.

Heck the whole band can set up in less than 30 right now. We all go direct, and most of use use IEMs so that really helps (other than acoustic drums). Last gig we used a sub with the new EV "line array" (looks like Bose) tall thin "main". Only one was needed for the small-medium club we were in. So many of our gigs require lower volumes now, so the benefit is that load-in/out is ridiculously awesome grin

Edited by Stokely (07/05/18 09:58 AM)

#2936295 - 07/05/18 10:05 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: EscapeRocks]
Polkahero Offline
KCFF League Champ '15
Platinum Member

Loc: Michigan
My band rig used to take me about 30 minutes that consisted of:

Kawai MP7
Hammond SK1
HX3 module
Small Yamaha mixer on mic stand
Two EV ZXA1 speakers on floor
Bench
Two-tier Z stand
Music stand

New, solo piano rig takes me 5-10 minutes:

Kurzweil KA-90
V3 piano module
Bench
Tabletop stand

Screw playing in bands, lol.
Kawai MP7
Alesis QSR

#2936299 - 07/05/18 10:25 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: goatghost]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: goatghost
It can take (with testing) well over an hour to set up my gear, but the results are well worth it (after all, keyboard players are the "special sauce" in a band, these days).

I'm blown away at your rig and really admire your dedication and work ethic. I'm sure your live show is incredible. I also an jealous of the degree to which you must have everything dialed in with your band. My hats off to you sir!

For my situation playing in my top 40 band, having an hour set up would be ludicrously inefficient as a use of personal time. Don't get me wrong, I am very much dedicated to programming tunes deeply and I do some absurd things to get every part of every tune playable. But not at the cost of bringing more than 2 keyboards. CP4 on the bottom, Montage 7 on top, that's it. If I'm feeling grandiose I'll bring my SK2 also (maybe 2x a year). I can set my rig up in 15 minutes, or as little as 8 if I'm sweatin'.

But check out this math: I play around 100 gigs with my Top 40 band a year. If I took an hour to set up each time, that's 100 hours just to set up!! What about tear down? Say it took half as long, 30 min. That's another 50 hours. That means every year I'd be spending close to a week just setting up and tearing down. As good as I already get everything with my current setup, and knowing how much keyboard sounds really do matter in making the entire performance of the band sound amazing (that is, they matter, but what matters far more is the energy and ability of your singers, your overall stage vibe, how good the rest of the band is, the quality of the sound guy, your ability to PLAY your instrument not just program it) there is for sure an 80/20 principle in play here.

Me, I'd rather have my extra week per year back.

Or better yet, some badass techs to set up all my sh!t for me. But I'm not on tour, I'm in that happy hard working middle class of musician loading in and out of ballrooms and Summer concert stages and setting it all up myself.

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2936301 - 07/05/18 10:31 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Bobadohshe]
Dreamchilde Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Los Angeles
My personal rig takes about 10 minutes:

2 synths, cables, pedals, stand
Amp, mic & stands
Saxophone

He's ready.

King Super 20 Alto, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, M-Audio ProKeys88sx, Roland MKS-50

#2936310 - 07/05/18 11:02 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Bobadohshe]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Bobadohshe
What about tear down? Say it took half as long, 30 min. That's another 50 hours. That means every year I'd be spending close to a week just setting up and tearing down...I'd rather have my extra week per year back.

Yes, for me, teardown is key, it's actually the bigger part of the time calculus. You can't really get back that whole extra week, because a quicker setup doesn't really reduce total gig time, at least for me. It doesn't matter whether I can set up in 5 minutes or 30 minutes because, no matter what, to allow for traffic and such, I'm going to aim to get there well before curtain either way. (And if time gets really tight, I can always find some way to get one keyboard up and sounding in 5 minutes, enough to get through a first set if I have to.)

But yes... once the last note is played, any "excess" time spent packing up is eating into "real" time, and a good night's sleep! The other issue has to do with the moon's gravitational pull or something... all the gear is much heavier on the way out than it was on the way in.

#2936314 - 07/05/18 11:18 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: AnotherScott]
Piktor Offline

Loc: Edmonton, Canada
Regarding tear down, my rule of thumb is that if I am sloppy about how I wrap and pack things up, the next set up is going to take linger.

#2936317 - 07/05/18 11:31 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: AnotherScott]
tucktronix Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
It depends on the band. For my top-40 dance band, I have recently switched from a 3 board to a 2-board setup with the acquisition of the Kronos 88, and the new Stay stand shaved another 10 min from setup time. With this band(since this band uses in-ears.. so no need to tout an amp), setup is around 6 min tops. With the other bands, setup is a few min longer with the involvement of an amp.

Edited by tucktronix (07/05/18 11:43 AM)

Me & The Boyz
Chris Beard Band

#2936320 - 07/05/18 11:36 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Piktor]
kelp Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
Down to a single board now. Run it into a small mixer that feeds FOH and my powered monitor. Cable up and get cases out of the way. 10-15 minutes.

Explain to the FOH and monitor engineer what we have, despite them asking for a plot and input list, despite them never reading it, including time for them to grumble about it under their breath - another 30 minutes.

#2936327 - 07/05/18 12:07 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: kelp]
Morrisseysixman Offline

Loc: Midwest
My "setup/breakdown" length is similar to others -- about 15 minutes. But for me the big accomplishment/efficiency was reducing my "load in/load out" time -- I'm in heaven since reducing my gear to a single trip from vehicle to stage. My gigs often have inconvenient loading and/or parking locations, and that's what ate up my time. And load in/out is much less fun than the setup. Lots of "Excuse me," "Pardon me," "Coming through"... as opposed to jawing with my band mates during setup.

#2936329 - 07/05/18 12:12 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: DanL]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: DanL

Can you transport the Z stand mostly intact? I lay mine in the back of the van with 3 tiers installed, closed up as much as possible but without removing any parts. That saves a lot of time. Extend it out to the right width, tighten 3 knobs, and off I go.
Excellent point. In the past I had gone for minimal space, but I think for next gig I'll just fold the legs (and maybe narrow the crossbars) and see what happens.

That and a pedal board / cabling revamp should help a lot.

#2936335 - 07/05/18 12:35 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: AnotherScott]
KenElevenShadows Offline
10k Club

Loc: Los Angeles, CA, UNITED STATES

grin

Ten minutes.

And that's for one keyboard and a guitar rig.

#2936342 - 07/05/18 01:15 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: AnotherScott]
Bobadohshe Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Diego / Los Angeles
What about tear down? Say it took half as long, 30 min. That's another 50 hours. That means every year I'd be spending close to a week just setting up and tearing down...I'd rather have my extra week per year back.

Yes, for me, teardown is key, it's actually the bigger part of the time calculus. You can't really get back that whole extra week, because a quicker setup doesn't really reduce total gig time, at least for me. It doesn't matter whether I can set up in 5 minutes or 30 minutes because, no matter what, to allow for traffic and such, I'm going to aim to get there well before curtain either way.

Good point. For me on a typical corporate gig, it would involve a slightly earlier load in (maybe 30 min) but even still a week spent setting up and tearing down instead of doing something else, even if I'm still at the gig. I could be reading a book, hanging with fellow musicians, anything. I have better uses for my time. Not to mention the tedium would become unbearable. Hell I feel it's already a hassle and it only takes 10 minutes!

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section
https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

#2936343 - 07/05/18 01:21 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Bobadohshe]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

For transport, a couple things have really made my life easier. I got a spider pro instead of a 2-tier Z (though as I mentioned I am down to one keyboard). The spider goes in a bag and is easily carried. An R14 rock n roller cart has been the real key. No more multiple awkward trips through joints with my gear. If I can back up right to where we play, I don't use it, but that's not most gigs.

#2936349 - 07/05/18 01:50 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Stokely]
vonnor Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Centreville, VA USA
I'm thinking it's not specifically about how long it takes to set-up, since different people have different gear and it's kinda hard to directly compare. Maybe more like the method used and how we all might save time and effort.

Videos for the win, guys. grin I'll get one up this weekend since we're not gigging.

~ vonnor

#2936356 - 07/05/18 02:39 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Stokely]
AnotherScott Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Stokely
For transport, a couple things have really made my life easier. I got a spider pro instead of a 2-tier Z (though as I mentioned I am down to one keyboard). The spider goes in a bag and is easily carried. An R14 rock n roller cart has been the real key.

Yes, the stand makes a big difference. I use either a K&M18880+stacker(s) or the later generation Invisible (inferior to the earlier in some ways, but travels better). These stands setup or collapse in under 10 seconds, move in one piece, and way maybe 8 lbs.

As for the cart, I just ordered a new wagon style thing I want to try, we'll see.

#2936358 - 07/05/18 03:03 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: AnotherScott]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Secluded Tranquil NY Wine Coun...
A few years ago I bought a Magliner cart/dolly, the long one. I wish I had one YEARS ago. I can pile stuff on it and cart them to the stage in fewer trips.

My rig a few weeks ago took about an hour to set up, which was surprising given how complex it is. I'm still streamlining the system.

#2936359 - 07/05/18 03:08 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: The Real MC]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

I look at a cart as just one more thing I have to load in and out of the car and pack with me, lol. Usually I'm pulling right up to the door of the venue or close to the stage so trips are short and I can make it in 2.
Trip 1: Keyboard in each hand, guitar on my back
Trip 2: Cable backpack, stands in one hand, K10 in the other.
I feel like I can walk a lot faster than I would pushing a cart, not to mention things like steps and getting through double doors, then you have to store the cart somewhere or put it back in the car, which is another trip.

#2936361 - 07/05/18 03:44 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: J. Dan]
Quai34 Online   content

Loc: Canada, MB
Ok, I know I will won with my set up time but to understand the context, let me explain:
When I restarted to play gigs 4 years ago after a break of 10 years, I joined a band wpthat was playing Alternative Rock but had the worst sound I had ever met. Then, I did all I could to improve that and as I was doing well, both the guitarist and the drummer started to letting me do everythings, even their microphones on drums and setting up mo iron and cabs etc, then I was always the last one and setting up when you have already your drummer and guitarist smashing like crazy their gear, it's tough to be concertrate.
I had at Tha time a Nord Stage 2, D50 on top, NL2X on 3rd tier.
All connected to a Tascam mixer in a rack with the Proteus, the XV5080 and the Matrix 1000.
So, in order to save time I did snakes for all midi and audio, all well wrapped into the 8U rack but it was still too long.
Why, because I moved back to my home town and it was the same scenario with the new band, none of them had any idea how to sound good so, again, I was the PA guy first before setting up my stuff....
I improved then my snakes with labelling everything, plus colour coded, red for right audio, green for left audio, yellow midi out, white midi in, sustain pedals light blue and Exp pedal, dark blue. Stickers are also on the keys, the two platform Yorkville rack are now all wired, I just have to put the keys on it, unwrap the snakes, plug and then go....
Still 45mn, k owing that I thought my right was too simple, then, I added a P08 and a P12, ha yes, and a Waldorf Streichfett....
Tear down 30 min....
But I Had my paragliding accident then, 8 hours back bones surgery then, lost of connections with my legs....
When I'm alone, if I don't want to break my back, even with only one keyboard, especially the stage 2, I have to be very slow, then, 1h30....
Solution?:
1) Having a smaller rig. Yes, I'm planning to do that my my Rock band, but I have already said that they cannot count on me for Sax solo, third guitar gimmick, brass patches all over the place on top of Organ, Paino, EP etc....
So, it will be stage 2 only, or C2 only or both of we play 3 sets of 1 hour. If we play one set of 45 min, I'm not in, not worth it with my back and k owing that usually they Are supposed to,be al last free, or very low paid....That's why I'm planning to buy the Key Largo and IEM so, no more monitors to bring.
2) Keeping the same righ, with what I forgot to mentioned, two Yorkville PS-10P, Special chair custom made and of course, with my new Dance/Funk band, I'm still the Soubd guy but they are helping way more.
So, we play 4 hours show, paid 200/300$ minimum per player, we have the time to set up 2 hours before sound check and sound check is one hour with the right guy....
Otherwise we don't take the gig. I would prefer to have one high end gig 4 hours playing per month for a corporate than 4 of 45 min ...
Note that the sound is awesome, we are super close to the record or live versions and showing off a bit with gear has been an arguments to charge more...
So, yes, 1h30, 45/30 min tear down, I k ow that I will save maybe 15/20 min when I will have done my pedals pedalboard, be cause under this stage, I have:
Control pedal for volume/morph
Swell pedal
Boos switch for Leslie speed
Sustain for D50 and NL2x, works in both a a DIY box but I have one sustain on the left and one on the right....(due to some restrictions with my back now...),
Exp pedal for NL2X
Nord triple pedal

Under the C2, I have:
Sustain for C2
Sustain for P08 and P12 (same DIY box)
Exp for P08
Exp pedal for P12
Swell pedal for C2
Exp pedal for H9

So too. I have to plug, next project is my pedalboard to carry l for the pedals attached and I will just have to plug them.
I might have a look bathe guy you mentioned though....
That's it, sorry, long set up = long post....
Stage 2, C2 & NL2X+TC Pedals, Prophet 08 & 12+Tetra&H9, D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200& 2605.

#2936362 - 07/05/18 03:47 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: The Real MC]
Quai34 Online   content

Originally Posted By: The Real MC
A few years ago I bought a Magliner cart/dolly, the long one. I wish I had one YEARS ago. I can pile stuff on it and cart them to the stage in fewer trips.

My rig a few weeks ago took about an hour to set up, which was surprising given how complex it is. I'm still streamlining the system.

Can you described it, I'm surprised I'm not the only one with a complex setup....
Stage 2, C2 & NL2X+TC Pedals, Prophet 08 & 12+Tetra&H9, D50+PG1000, 2 Matrix 1K, Proteus 2K, TX802, Streichfett, Drumbrute. Guitars:G&L Legacy, Asat X2, Ibanez Artstar AS153.Bass: L2000, SR1200& 2605.

#2936384 - 07/05/18 09:22 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Quai34]
rickzjamm Offline
Gold Member

Didn't Keyboard Mag. have a cool article on set up & tear down a while back?

#2936437 - 07/06/18 06:32 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: J. Dan]
Reezekeys Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: NYC area
I look at a cart as just one more thing I have to load in and out of the car and pack with me, lol. Usually I'm pulling right up to the door of the venue or close to the stage so trips are short and I can make it in 2.

This method would not fly in New York City (unless you like >$100 tickets and possibly getting your car towed), but good for you if it works for your gigs. Sometimes I leave the cart in the trunk if I get to pull right up to the door & the trips are short.

#2936442 - 07/06/18 06:55 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Bobadohshe]
cedar Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: New York

Yes, for me, teardown is key,

I'm not the fastest or most efficient about setting up, but I am one of the all-time greats at tearing down and hightailing it out of a gig. I don't think this is the function of any great organizational skill. I'm just anti-social and like to flee the scene of the crime as fast as possible.

#2936479 - 07/06/18 10:09 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Bobadohshe]
goatghost Offline

Wow...thanks for your kind words! While Iím certainly not worthy of such praise, I appreciate the props. :-)

I agree with you about the total amount of time which would be wasted over the course of a year, from setting up. But, to be honest, my band doesnít play out too often (due to our incredible lead singer/lead guitarist having his own solo acoustic gig on Friday and Saturday nights).

I do believe that, If I have to lug this crazy amount of gear, it better be worth it. My lead singer once said (when offered a $50 bar gig), ďI donít even get off the couch for less than $100!Ē LOL!!!

I remember the last gig we did. It was a little showcase at some five bar where the drummer knew the owner (not a gig I was too keen on). I use a little submixer for my keyboards, which I output to stereo (XLRs). Plus, I have my guitar wireless, which I output in mono, and my vocal mic (obviously, mono).

The sound guy looks at me like I have three heads, since Iíll be taking up 4 channels on his board...LOL

Needless to say, I avoid bar gigs like the plague. Fortunately, I have a daytime job and Iím doing alright (and, I donít give a damn about no trumpet-playing band ;-) ).

#2936489 - 07/06/18 10:50 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: goatghost]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
10-15 minutes once loaded in should do it. Have my live rig pretty streamlined and the setup / teardown process down to a science. Take my Spider Pro stand out of the bag and set 'er up; take both keyboards out of their soft cases and place them up on the stand, take my ZLX 12-P speaker out of its bag and situate it to one side of the stand; plug in my power strip; then it's hooking up two sustain pedals, two volume pedals, three power cords (occassionally a fourth if I also want or need to charge my phone), one MIDI cable between the two boards. Most gigs have a sound man providing a DI box and boom mic stand; if not I might need to pull my DI out and attach my boom mic stand attachment on top of my keyboard stand; either way then it's a single audio cable from my Kronos to the DI and one from the DI to my EV. In really low-rent situations maybe I'll have to also get out my own vocal mic and two XLR's (one for the mic, one for the DI) if they're not being provided by SOMEONE!, but thankfully that's been pretty rare lately.

#2936490 - 07/06/18 10:51 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: richforman]
richforman Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Long Island, NY
10-15 minutes once loaded in should do it. Have my live rig pretty streamlined and the setup / teardown process down to a science. Take my Spider Pro stand out of the bag and set 'er up; take both keyboards out of their soft cases and place them up on the stand, take my ZLX 12-P speaker out of its bag and situate it to one side of the stand; plug in my power strip; then it's hooking up two sustain pedals, two volume pedals, three power cords (occassionally a fourth if I also want or need to charge my phone), one MIDI cable between the two boards. Most gigs have a sound man providing a DI box and boom mic stand; if not I might need to pull my DI out and attach my boom mic stand attachment on top of my keyboard stand; either way then it's a single audio cable from my Kronos to the DI and one from the DI to my EV. In really low-rent situations maybe I'll have to also get out my own vocal mic and two XLR's (one for the mic, one for the DI) if they're not being provided by SOMEONE!, but thankfully that's been pretty rare lately.

#2936620 - 07/07/18 08:29 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: richforman]
MotiDave Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: San Diego, CA USA
Single board, mono PPA monitor , DI for FOH (no mixer), AX-48 ... if I take 5 minutes, iím just being lazy or it stopped to chat.

I keep thinking about bringing a second board, then I review the above and ... nah.

#2936621 - 07/07/18 08:34 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Quai34]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Quai34
Originally Posted By: The Real MC

Can you described it, I'm surprised I'm not the only one with a complex setup....

My host is currently having problems but this is the link to the diagram of my system:

Diagram club stage MIDI system

I basically went with a modular approach and divided the components from bare bones to full bore. After playing different genres over the last 30+ years, I have abstracted the sounds I would need for different styles. I've built full bore systems in the past and have learned from that experience. My other goals: 1) rack as much stuff as possible 2) keep the racks a reasonable weight (I cart the gear myself, no roadies) 3) minimize the cabling (and minimize setup time) 4) minimize the stage space (for small venues) 5) plan for fast change in/out for festival gigs where multiple bands are playing.

The bare bones system is Kurzweil MIDIBoard and Kurzweil 1000 modules to cover basic piano gigs. For that system I'll use an old Mackie 1202 (not "VLZ") for the mixer. The MIDIBoard is my master MIDI controller and is programmed to configure the patches, FX, volumes, and other MIDI parameters of my MIDI components.

Adding to that is a rack containing the base components for a MIDI system - MIDI matrix, SYSEX backup tool (also MIDI sequence playback), master mixer (more channels than the Mackie). It also contains the MIDI drums and bass synth for those gigs with sequenced drums & bass (I used to play in a top40 band with drum machine and LH bass).

It's all expandable and modular from there. I prefer individual effects for my polyphonic analog synths so one rack covers those. Another rack contains a rack mount mono synth and the Leslie simulator. That's four racks total, and I designed the racks to double as a keyboard stand for the smaller venues. There's a fine balance between minimizing the cabling and keeping the racks to a reasonable weight - it was very tempting to use a large rack to eliminate as much cabling but I learned that big racks can get heavy in a hurry.

Since the modules are split into different racks and the output signals are stereo, I adopted a TRS cabling convention for stereo signals. This means only one cable is needed for each stereo source instead of two which cuts down the cabling. When I designed the input/output panels for the racks, I placed them in close proximity to each other - when the racks are stacked, they are all next to each other. This keeps the cabling short.

For keyboards, I can add a clone wheel as needed, as well as polyphonic synths and MIDI bass pedal controller. Everything is MIDI controlled, and sometimes the clone wheel doubles as a MIDI controller (when the CANCEL preset is selected on the XK3). The bass pedal controller is for bass synth and for playing other parts when both my hands are busy. The MIDI matrix manipulates (IE channel shift and transpose) and routes MIDI signals.

It looks like a complex system, but it is pretty logical.

#2936815 - 07/09/18 04:37 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: The Real MC]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I'm serious: about a decade, by now, though I had no active band plans. I can play "live" on anything with keys that doesn't sound or respond like the IT department, otherwise I'd lie. But nevertheless I wanted progress I liked. It cost me about 10 years to get close enough to be able to play with dignity on a good live system.

T

#2936842 - 07/09/18 07:23 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Theo Verelst]
CowboyNQ Offline
Gold Member

I can play "live" on anything with keys that doesn't sound or respond like the IT department.

I hear you brother, particularly when it comes to typewriter keys.

#2936862 - 07/09/18 08:49 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: CowboyNQ]
Tom Williams Offline
Gold Member

Hey, wait-a-minnit -- I can't tell if I was just insulted. I work in the IT department.

#2936865 - 07/09/18 08:54 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Tom Williams]
Theo Verelst Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Do you make sounds ? Probably not.

#2936936 - 07/09/18 02:33 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: goatghost]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Loc: Northeastern MN, U.S.
About 15 minutes. Depends on location/footprint too.

Generally, it'll be a Motif XF8 + Korg Krome on two-tier Z stand, output mono from Motif to DI to FOH, MIDI out from Korg to MIDI In on Motif, expression and sustain pedals plugged into Motif, Yamaha MSR100 as monitor, line from Motif to monitor, all plugged into a power strip. Stash the cases. laugh

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2936948 - 07/09/18 03:48 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: vonnor]
MP Hall of Fame Member

OK. It's 12,000 degrees in SoCal, so safe to say I don't look my personal best here. Plus holy cow am I fat these days. WTF, middle age? Anyway I was wheeling my stuff in from the car and figured I'd bring it right to living room and set it back up, because what better is there to do after you've already broken down and it's 12,000 degrees, which, did I mention, is how hot it is outside right now.

#2936950 - 07/09/18 03:57 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: MathOfInsects]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects
OK. It's 12,000 degrees in SoCal, so safe to say I don't look my personal best here. Plus holy cow am I fat these days. WTF, middle age? Anyway I was wheeling my stuff in from the car and figured I'd bring it right to living room and set it back up, because what better is there to do after you've already broken down and it's 12,000 degrees, which, did I mention, is how hot it is outside right now.

Holy crap, that's what your voice sounds like??? poke

I thought SoCal was the closest thing to Paradise in the continental U.S. Oh well.

Beep beep, beep beep yeah! roll

What's in the rolling SKB case? (at least that's what it looks like from the side you showed it)

Edited by Joe Muscara (07/09/18 03:57 PM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2936952 - 07/09/18 04:01 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Joe Muscara]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

What's in the rolling SKB case? (at least that's what it looks like from the side you showed it)

The SS3.

#2936965 - 07/09/18 05:20 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: MathOfInsects]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects

Hmm... I think my setup time is probably counting the four trips to the car and back...

I like your dog! smile

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

Titano Virtuoso Converter, Resident Audio T4, Casio CT-370, Kimball Valencia/Broadway

#2936971 - 07/09/18 05:40 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Mighty Motif Max]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
My typical rig is around 10-15 minutes once unloaded: two Nords on a Stay stand into a Key Largo and then to whatever: pair of PA speakers, SSv3, FOH, etc.

Two pedals: one for sustain, one for leslie. I'm not good with volume pedals yet. Backups for most everything if needed. I can get it all in one cart trip usually, sometimes two depending.

My respect to those of you who gig with more complex midi and laptop rigs.

Keys setup time is not the issue in my world, it's the 15-20 minutes for PA setup, and another 15-20 minutes futzing around with the guitarists who say "I can't hear myself" because they've set up their gear wrong: reversed inputs/outputs, forget to connect a cable, battery dead, bad cable, etc.

Like its my fault you don't know how to debug your setup?

I've stopped trying to help in that department. If you want to play, sort your own gear. Trust me, you'll get better at it.

I've got my own stuff to sort out smile

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2937242 - 07/11/18 02:22 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Bobby Simons]
Quai34 Online   content

Holly cow Chuck, when I was reading your post I was seeing myself in your shoes....Yes, I agree, I had to be not so much a Canadian guy, I mean, when you are not supposed to say inappropriate stuff and "yell" a bit of show your first ration but yes, my guitarist in the Rock band was always counting on me for the PA and his monitor as well as why his guitarist was not working well....just the same bad "rat" pedal that brings so many buzz....
And for the new one, same thing after a while, I pointed out the fact that they have all their stuff provided, better guitars, better bases, better Amps, all sound to dial for each song written and switches to do on basses on a schematic for each songs and I want them to be able to do it alone and not to accept any crappy sound just because it works, co pared to no sound....and stop,looking at me not really k owing what you should have dial in....
Are we the only one to work hard on getting our own sound for our rig the closet as it supposed to be for the song?
Tough one, you have to stay put and form but not too aggressive and bossy....

#2937243 - 07/11/18 02:24 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: cphollis]
Quai34 Online   content

And video of Mighty Motif Max is not working for me here in Canada....
Any other way to see it?

#2937434 - 07/11/18 07:08 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Quai34]
WesG Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inverary, ON, Canada
Jesus, I need to get some of you to teach me how to be faster.

From arrival to first note is about 3 hours for me if I'm playing in my rock band and providing PA and lights. I could probably do it in two if I had to hustle, but hustling makes me tired and then I can't play (mostly because when I hustle, I skip eating, and then I have tunnel vision for the entire first set).

This is why I want to join a blues band and not do sound anymore. I can plop an organ and Leslie on stage in 3 minutes flat. And a good hunk of that is waiting for the tubes to warm up.

Edited by WesG (07/11/18 07:08 PM)
Roland: VR-09
Band Site: http://DrBombay.ca/

#2937440 - 07/11/18 07:47 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: WesG]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

PA is a whole other deal but a lot of what I said earlier applies - organized, have a system, dedicated cables including snakes and label everything - same channels every time, and usually you wonít have to mess with the gains too much show to show and mix of gut to at least be close. If Iím setting up small PA (two 18Ē subs, two 2-way tops, monitors, 5-pc band, thatís an hour plus sound check.

Now when we do big shows at the lake, it takes a crew of 4 guys a full day to set up. But thatís risers, trussing, lighting, flying line arrays; 6 dual 15 subs, 5 amp racks, mixing up a huge drum set, banners, curtains, co2 canons, etc.

Edited by J. Dan (07/11/18 07:50 PM)

#2937449 - 07/11/18 08:20 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Quai34]
Mighty Motif Max Offline

Originally Posted By: Quai34
And video of Mighty Motif Max is not working for me here in Canada....
Any other way to see it?

I'm afraid I didn't post a video at all. Just a comment.

Korg Krome 61

Roland JV-1000

#2937450 - 07/11/18 08:20 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: WesG]
cphollis Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Massachussets, Florida
Originally Posted By: WesG

From arrival to first note is about 3 hours for me if I'm playing in my rock band and providing PA and lights. I could probably do it in two if I had to hustle, but hustling makes me tired and then I can't play (mostly because when I hustle, I skip eating, and then I have tunnel vision for the entire first set).

This is why I want to join a blues band and not do sound anymore. I can plop an organ and Leslie on stage in 3 minutes flat. And a good hunk of that is waiting for the tubes to warm up.

Errr, even for our biggest gigs (festivals, etc.) it's never more than 60 minutes from arriving to first note. Even if there's a problem. Any individual piece of gear could die, and we have a plan. Must be my IT background?

My guys are learning what's expected of them. The PA setup is straightforward: a pair of FOHs on poles, a small sub, no monitors thanks to IEMs. The mixer is preset. Plug and play. No endlessly noodling around.

Thanks to battery-powered, Wifi-enabled, sound-sensing light fixtures, our bass player sets everything up 10 minutes ahead of first note. It's his contribution.

My keys gear takes no more than 15 minutes to set up. I have a roll-on travel suitcase with just the cables I need (plus a few spares) so no digging around for stuff. Bang, bang -- I'm live and dangerous.

We could do it in 30 minutes, but there's always the flaky guitar pedal, cables plugged in wrong, dead batteries, etc. Inevitable. But it's getting better. Throw the bad cable away, don't put it in your bag. Change batteries ahead of time. Before asking for help, check your own cable routing. And so on.

You can train a band to get on (and off) a stage in a short period. I am proof that it is possible.

But -- in reality -- it's about holding everyone else accountable for their own sound.

True story? In the middle of a gig, lead guitarist speaks into the microphone to me and says "I have a buzz in my pedals" like I'm supposed to fix it.

I reply, into my microphone "I'm not you're f*cking sound guy".

Never happened again.

Keys: NP2, NS3C, NE4D, DeepMind-12
Home: Bosie 200, Yam AG N3
Amps: FA 12acs, RCF TT08as, QSC Ks, SSv3
Stuff: Stay stands, Key Largo, Vent II, X-Air 16

#2937468 - 07/11/18 11:53 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: cphollis]
Quai34 Online   content

"I reply, into my microphone "I'm not you're f*cking sound guy"
LOL, too funny, well, I should do it with my Rock Band, not with the dance band, the guitarist is so nice, always trying to help and improving that I won't do that to him...But yes, we are the sound guy designated because we know better stuff about sound/PA etc...

#2937469 - 07/11/18 11:54 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: WesG]
Quai34 Online   content

Ok, it's the same for me if I do the PA but I have trained them with schematics ans so on in order for them to be accountable for the sound...It concerns everyone anyway, right?

Edited by Quai34 (07/11/18 11:55 PM)

#2937671 - 07/12/18 09:28 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Quai34]
waygetter Offline
Gold Member

Loc: San Francisco, CA
If I can score one of those 15lb Numa 2Xs, I'll be gunning for a 90 sec setup!

#2937715 - 07/13/18 07:47 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: cphollis]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: cphollis

Errr, even for our biggest gigs (festivals, etc.) it's never more than 60 minutes from arriving to first note. Even if there's a problem. Any individual piece of gear could die, and we have a plan. Must be my IT background?

My guys are learning what's expected of them. The PA setup is straightforward: a pair of FOHs on poles, a small sub, no monitors thanks to IEMs. The mixer is preset. Plug and play. No endlessly noodling around.

Thanks to battery-powered, Wifi-enabled, sound-sensing light fixtures, our bass player sets everything up 10 minutes ahead of first note. It's his contribution.

My keys gear takes no more than 15 minutes to set up. I have a roll-on travel suitcase with just the cables I need (plus a few spares) so no digging around for stuff. Bang, bang -- I'm live and dangerous.

We could do it in 30 minutes, but there's always the flaky guitar pedal, cables plugged in wrong, dead batteries, etc. Inevitable. But it's getting better. Throw the bad cable away, don't put it in your bag. Change batteries ahead of time. Before asking for help, check your own cable routing. And so on.

You can train a band to get on (and off) a stage in a short period. I am proof that it is possible.

But -- in reality -- it's about holding everyone else accountable for their own sound.

True story? In the middle of a gig, lead guitarist speaks into the microphone to me and says "I have a buzz in my pedals" like I'm supposed to fix it.

Never happened again.

Yep, we are a small-time weekend band but this pretty much sums up how we've gotten so fast at setting up/tearing down. Now even faster, as our bass player (owns PA) picked up an EV thin main thingie (looks like Bose). We only used one at our last show and it covered the whole room. Those things are amazing. We did bring a separate sub.

Snaking everything (lights, pa power/signal) cut at least 20-30 minutes. Everyone having carts cut time. The main thing is that everyone runs direct and is very good about making sure they are consistent from show to show, so running sound is plug n play (with some tuning for new rooms). We've also cut down on our lights....for our gigs it was overkill to have a ton of lights. We have them pre-installed on bars that attach to the main(s)--click-click, they are on, then the snake that was run has all the lighting power and control right there. 49 key soft keyboard cases work great as a bag for a 3-light bar smile

Granted, we didn't get there overnight. For the first year or two we were over 2 hours minimum for setup.

Edited by Stokely (07/13/18 07:48 AM)

#2938047 - 07/16/18 06:46 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Stokely]
MikeyP Offline

Could probably do it in under 5 if I hurried. Used to be a lot longer when my setup was more complex.

I *used* to have a 4u rack, with a Emu Vintage Pro and a Muse Receptor. Those were MIDI'd to my AX7 and a M-Audio Pro 61 in a 2-tier stand setup. After that band folded I sold my rack stuff.

I am the "secondary keyboardist" in the band I am in now and my rig is iPad based with just the Ax7.

Setup is literally:

- Put the ipad on my mic stand iPad holder.
- Run Audio cable form iPad to DI box
- Plug bluetooth MIDI adapter in to AX-7 and turn it on
- Connect MIDI bluetooth on iPad

Done.

#2938049 - 07/16/18 06:51 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: MikeyP]
kenheeter Offline

I made myself a snake with built in redundancy. Extra 1/4" and power lines. Lay out one cable, two keyboards on K&M stand, two powered speakers, done. Less than 5 minutes. One suitcase holds the snake, expression and sustain pedal as well as a couple of spares just in case.....

#2938058 - 07/16/18 08:18 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: cphollis]
The Real MC Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: cphollis

Translated: "you're a big boy now, I'm not here to hold your hand."

#2938311 - 07/17/18 06:04 PM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: The Real MC]
New&Improv Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Corvallis, OR
My "basic" rig, which I use for 3 different bands at the moment, is 3 boards (Casio PX5s, Hammond XK-1c and Novation SLMK2 61, bottom to top), and an SKB Studio flyer with my macbook and Keith McMillen K-Mix. I leave all the cables plugged in the rack. Probably takes me 10-15 minutes to setup.

1. Put stands in place, K&M 18880 s-tier for the boards, Onstage T-stand for SKB, stands in an L with rack to my left.

2. Put stool and powered speaker (EVZLX 12-p) in place.

3. Place pedalboard under K&M. Connect power to pedalboard, then everything else is powered off of the pedalboard.

4. Place all three boards.

5. Connect pedals, 2 sustain to PX, expression and switch to XK, expression and sustain to SLMK2.

6. Connect audio from XK and PX to mixer.

7. Connect USB from PX and SLMK2 to computer.

8. Connect XLR cable from mixer to monitor, and either stereo or mono XLR to the Radial DI mounted in the rack.

9. Boot computer, launch Mainstage, and I'm ready to go.

In another band, I'll add my Minimoog on a stand to my right, and, for one completely ridiculous band, I'll take a small table and a Eurorack modular setup. That band takes longer to setup and doesn't play out that often.
-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

#2938383 - 07/18/18 09:00 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: goatghost]
Kevin Sage Offline

Loc: AZ
Usually takes me about 45 min to set up. Ultimate Apex stand, Korg Kronos X88. Damper and switch, l/r 1/4" outs to DI, 2 XLR's out of that to the snake. 1 1/4" out of DI to powered monitor for stage volume. Mic on Apex stand. Half stack guitar rig with Midi pedal running some rack gear and amp channel switching. guitar stands and 4 guitars. Crap, where did I put my set list? Where's the gaffers tape? Who borrowed my leatherman? After all that, I'm usually ready for soundcheck...and a Jameson's on the rocks.

#2938388 - 07/18/18 09:39 AM Re: How long does it take ***YOU*** to set up your live rig? [Re: Kevin Sage]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I can do it in less than 12 minutes if necessary.

That's starting the stopwatch from when the rock n roller cart (fully loaded) stops at the rear lip of the stage and I start unloading.

I got that fast by practicing my rig set up over and over again at home, in the garage and then in the living room, until it became rote. If you want to get better at anything you have to practice it.

Sequence matters. Stands, mat and pedal board first. AC cables next. Audio and pedal cables next. Boards are the very last thing out of their cases and onto stand. Power on, check levels.

Practicing set up means eliminate redundant steps, redundant moves, get as efficient as possible. Don't make two trips if you can get away with one. Don't take three steps if you can reduce it to two.

It also means you get a muscle memory feel for when something is wrong, when you forgot something, etc.

I seldom have only 12 minutes to set up. Almost all gigs I have plenty of time after set up to chill and chat, but there have been a stray gig where traffic is an unpredictable thing, and it's good to have the mental assurance I can make downbeat very quickly if needed.

Full disclosure: Rig is Kronos, Wave, pedal board with dual sustain, key largo and Lester K, Baby Spider Pro stand, fatigue mat, iPad mounted on mic stand, two DXR8s on Yorkville mini stands, UPS managing all power.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner