Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

The Boss is not available for me...

But.

This entire album is a Best of 2018

This album is a trip. Opened for them Monday and it was nutty. Snarky played the headlining theatre set earlier that evening, so Ghost-Note had guest appearances from Shaun Martin, Justin Stanton, Maz, Chris Bullock, Larnell Lewis, Mark Lettieri, and Marcelo Iforgethislastnamepercussionist. The album also has a bunch of interesting guests.

[video:youtube]

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might dig the Jim Beard stuff....it's older but still good. Great rhodes solo.

....and then listen to how Vince Mendoza arranged it on Jim's Revolutions record. Killin'

I pay no attention to grammys and pop music in general. I have always loved vocal albums (acapella or just vocal-centric groups). So I was maybe the last person on the planet to have heard of pentatonix.

So this is old hat to many, just wasn't to me :)

This vid brings a giant smile to my face. Besides just being cool, the amazing things to me:

1. all vocal sounds, including drums

2. they do this live, there are no overdubs in the studio video O_O. Or to be more precise, no extra parts that they can't do live. I've seen them on a camera phone video at an impromptu request...the bass guy does an overtone thing for the swooshy synth AND bass simultaneously...the "autotune" in the studio vid they do on purpose (I can't fathom being good enough as a singer to simulate autotune...). The weird little vibrato that sounds like an effect--yep, they do that as well.

More traditional vocals...man this is just beautiful.

I should bug Vince for a score. That'd be a interesting one to follow along with. I've purchased a few scores from his site. You can get conductors scores for $40 there and learn a lot from going through them. A few years ago I asked him if I could get a study score of his arrangement of Alfie. He told me he couldn't do it because of a publishing thing. Several months later he made it available. What a guy!!

Last night I was listening to....

KC's own Mitch Towne coax some magic from his Mojo with the Steve Grismore Trio at the Iowa City Jazz Festival. If you get a chance to hear Mitch, just do it!

http://www.stickmanor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/mitch_towne_steve_grismore.jpg

And then on the main stage, "Still Dreaming" which is Josh Redman's homage to his father's band "Old and New Dreams". Redman was already one of my favorite sax players, but I was simply blown away by their set. Smart, joyful, and sacred.

http://www.stickmanor.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/still_dreaming.jpg

Here is a taste:

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

• 2 weeks later...
So I was maybe the last person on the planet to have heard of pentatonix.

Always loved these guys, and am jazzed that an acapella group can achieve some mainstream acclaim. Unfortunately, they have lost the incredible bass voice of Avi Kaplan, who has struck out on his own.

And if you can tolerate yet another version of Cohens Hallelujah, this doesnt suck:

Yamaha P515 & CK88, Pianoteq, Mainstage, iOS, assorted other stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to share my golden finding of recent days with you all guys:

The album 'Footprints' by Toots Thielemans.

All tracks on that one are really tender, sensitive and affectionate (I wonder if I didn't mess the translation to english here).

That's also the first record where I've heard Satie being played in jazz.

Anyways, here is a link to the first track of an album on youtube, couldn't find the others:

if you can't tell the difference, does it matter?

• 3 weeks later...
UK - self title, had it on repeat while I was driving to do some field recording this morning. Mostly been eating up anything with Alan Holdsworth recently (really been meaning to sit down and transcribe some of his solos). I need to check out Funk Apostles though, Mr Henry is the man.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?

Geoffrey Keezer Trio's new one, On My Way to You. I've never really listened to him before, but he's pretty amazing.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Cory takes a Moog solo while playing tambourine pretty early on in that last video I posted. Just a little messed up. Just a little.

Ever try it? It's easier than it looks - I do it in a few tunes my band plays.

Of course, I don't do it while playing anywhere near as well as Cory Henry...but still - it really is easier than it looks.

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Yeah, hitting out a basic beat while playing is pretty natural. I do a couple parts where I play crash cymbals during sections. Doesn't really matter whether it's on a simple part or a solo, 98% of your brain is focused on the keys anyway, so it doesn't take much. Hell, if you tap your foot while you play (which is a good habit), you're basically already doing it anyway.

That said, not to diss Corey. I haven't seen the clip in question, but I assume he's just pounding out the downbeats? More than that would be tricky with one hand.

Also, serious tambourine playing is actually really hard.

Puck Funk! :)

Equipment: Laptop running lots of nerdy software, some keyboards, noise makersâ¦yada yada yadaâ¦maybe a cat?