Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2018-2019 Thread

Rajon Rondo is now a Laker as well.

Could this portend Lavar...umm, I'm sorry- I mean Lonzo Ball's exit? :idk:

They did have to renouce Julius Randle to get Rondo - not sure that was a good move. :facepalm:

dB

What sucks for Lonzo is that no matter where he gets dealt, his dad's loudmouth BS follows him like an albatross round his neck. If the kid could get some help with his mechanics shooting wise he could be a really good NBA player, but the really unfair part for him is all the baggage having Daddio around brings to the table.....

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Rajon Rondo is now a Laker as well.

Could this portend Lavar...umm, I'm sorry- I mean Lonzo Ball's exit? :idk:

They did have to renouce Julius Randle to get Rondo - not sure that was a good move. :facepalm:

Link:

Sources: Lakers renounce Pelicans-bound Julius Randle, agree to deal with Rajon Rondo

More links:

Giant LeBron banner set for removal following departure for Lakers

Kobe Bryant on LeBron James' arrival in L.A.: 'Welcome to the family'

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

On another topic, the Phoenix Suns are now 50 years old. I remember being very excited about the new franchise in 1968 and rooting for star player Connie Hawkins. Less than a decade later, I was lucky enough to attend the NBA Finals game in which the Suns beat the Celtics in overtime.

Unfortunately, my favorite NBA team has yet to win a championship; but they've at least had three great eras of top-level contenders. Now finally, they appear to be on their way back up after a severe drought.

Hoping for even better years ahead... :cool:

[video:youtube]

Best,

Geoff

I'll probably get shredded for this, but I am Lebron'd out.

I can't wait to see LaVar and Lebron in their first interview together. Actually, never mind. I take that back... :)

I can't LeBron understand LeBron why you're LeBron, LeBron, LeBron "Lebron'd out."

Is LeBron a LeBron popular LeBron, LeBron topic LeBron in Chicago LeBron?

Best,

Geoff

The Lakers seem to be collecting every obnoxious player. Bronbron, Lance Stevenson, and now Rajon Rondo. Why don't they get Steven Adams and just be done with it?

Add Draymond Green, woo Dwight Howard back, have LaVar flap his gums more, and we will really have something annoying. :D

DeMarcus Cousins: 'I prepared myself for this' in free agency

It was 5 a.m. Pacific time on Monday morning and nearly 90 degrees Fahrenheit. And a wide-awake Cousins was standing on the balcony of his off-season home alone.

I was shocked. I didnt believe it. It was a rough, pretty emotional night, Cousins told The Undefeated in a phone interview on Monday night.

Just before the sun peeked in on another sweltering Vegas day, Cousins called his long-time agent Jarin Akana with a shocking plan. How about signing the mid-level exception with an elite team? How about giving the reigning NBA champion Golden State Warriors a call, despite the fact they already had four All-Stars, to see if they were interested?

I was f up, Cousins said. I said to Jarin, Lets make a call. He was shocked. It was very insulting to not receive an offer. But I understand. I prepared myself for this.

So around 8 a.m., Cousins said he called Warriors general manager Bob Myers. This is not a misprint. Myers cannot talk about free agents until they can sign with teams on Friday. But when Myers can speak, boy does he have a story to tell.

:o

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Draymond may be obnoxious to some, but he's OUR obnoxious.

Dubs fans happy to have him. Now Draymond and Boogie. When's the season start?

I actually like the guy, but he can be really supremely annoying.

I'm assuming everyone in WarriorLand is rejoicing at Boogie coming, despite the injury and him sometimes being a little "difficult"? He'll probably fit in pretty well despite that, I think, since he knows some of them, can score and pass, shoot threes...

Wait - the Lakers passed on Boogie? At the same price GSW paid????

:facepalm::roll:

dB

I'm not sure what the Lakers are doing. At that price, you take a chance, right?

I'm assuming everyone in WarriorLand is rejoicing at Boogie coming, despite the injury and him sometimes being a little "difficult"? He'll probably fit in pretty well despite that, I think, since he knows some of them, can score and pass, shoot threes...

Well, remember that dubs fans are VERY aware of Boogie's history up the road w the Sacramento Kings, where he essentially ran roughshod over everyone and everything, bullying his way in every decision and preference. There are still a lot of Sac folks how despise him.

So dubs fans like me are happy for the potential, but well aware we have two unanswered questions looming:

1) what % of the old Boogie returns to the court after a serious Achilles injury, and

2) what will be the response of Kerr and the incumbent all stars when Boogie inevitably gets pushy and bullying again.

Will he learn to get with the system, the fast, quick-pass, beautiful game system (which is NOT his historical game), and how will the team help him to embrace his new role as a non-essential cog in an already well-oiled, high performing basketball machine?

Don't know, but it will be interesting to watch as it unfolds.

Wait - the Lakers passed on Boogie? At the same price GSW paid????

:facepalm::roll:

That's interesting because the article I posted made it seem like Boogie called GSW first when he realized no one was calling him. I guess if he called LAL first, he might have left that part out since they turned him down, if that's the case.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well, remember that dubs fans are VERY aware of Boogie's history up the road w the Sacramento Kings, where he essentially ran roughshod over everyone and everything, bullying his way in every decision and preference. There are still a lot of Sac folks how despise him.

So dubs fans like me are happy for the potential, but well aware we have two unanswered questions looming:

1) what % of the old Boogie returns to the court after a serious Achilles injury, and

2) what will be the response of Kerr and the incumbent all stars when Boogie inevitably gets pushy and bullying again.

Will he learn to get with the system, the fast, quick-pass, beautiful game system (which is NOT his historical game), and how will the team help him to embrace his new role as a non-essential cog in an already well-oiled, high performing basketball machine?

Don't know, but it will be interesting to watch as it unfolds.

That would be my concern, all of those things.

That trade seemed to come out of nowhere, at least for me. Didn't see that coming at all.

He will definitely need to buy into the system or he is going to get some short playing minutes.

I don't think Boogie will have any trouble buying into the system and playing 2nd to the GS stars. Like I said, he did it while on the Olympic team without issue. And GS has one advantage that other teams don't. They could afford to wait for him to heal. No rushing back. And he knows that this year is an investment. The better he does on and off of the court, the bigger the contract he will get next year. He is playing for the future.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Report: Don't Worry, Bronbron is Totally Cool With The Lakers Signing All Those Weirdos

"What Johnson pitched to James was a team stocked with tough-minded playmakers like Stephenson and Rondo who could free up James to finish in the lanes and from the post, rather than having to create the lions share of the offense himself. Rondo and Stephenson are also defensively versatile as their length enables them to be effective defenders in switches. That also follows with the talents of the 6-foot-6 Ball, who showed the ability to be an elite rebounder and defender for a guard in his rookie year.

This makes some sense. LeBron has completely exhausted himself carrying the Cavaliers offense over the past few seasons, and if hes hoping for the final stage of his career to be a productive one hes going to need to find a way to increase the number of low-impact possessions he plays. Having Rondo and Lonzo Ball around should allow him to spend plenty of time off the ball, and Windhorst theorizes that LeBron will spend much more time in the post during this upcoming season, an adjustment that both Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant made when trying to extend their careers.

That all sounds nice in theory, but it seems unlikely that everything is going to go so smoothly in practice. How many times will LeBron have to kick it out from the post only to see Ball brick another jumper, or spend an entire possession in the corner while Stephenson maniacally dribbles the texture off the ball, before he reverts back to the old way of doing things? More than anything else, this upcoming season could be a test of LeBrons patience."

I don't think Boogie will have any trouble buying into the system and playing 2nd to the GS stars. Like I said, he did it while on the Olympic team without issue. And GS has one advantage that other teams don't. They could afford to wait for him to heal. No rushing back. And he knows that this year is an investment. The better he does on and off of the court, the bigger the contract he will get next year. He is playing for the future.

Cool for GS. Frightening for everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

Supposedly the Rockets are in the lead for Melo. Supposedly D'Antoni has spoken to him and all that stuff that went down when both were in NY is water under the bridge. Supposedly CP3 really wants him. Supposedly CP3's style of ball handling with work well with Melo's style of play. Supposedly Ennis is a good pickup after losing Ariza andMbah a Moute.

Supposedly.

Supposedly the Rockets are in the lead for Melo. Supposedly D'Antoni has spoken to him and all that stuff that went down when both were in NY is water under the bridge. Supposedly CP3 really wants him. Supposedly CP3's style of ball handling with work well with Melo's style of play. Supposedly Ennis is a good pickup after losing Ariza andMbah a Moute.

Supposedly.

I'll NEVER understand the fascination with acquiring Melo. Even in his prime the guy was the worst ball stopper in the league, and he's old now. No defense, and the next stop for the ball after he touches it is the rim. One of the most over rated players in the NBA, in my opinion...

I didn't follow Anthony much when he was the Nugget's guy - 04 to 10 - but during his prime he was a formidable offensive weapon.

Defense? He drinks from the same cup as Harden.

Or as George Karl said, "I want as much effort on defense -- maybe more -- as on offense. That was never going to happen with Melo, whose amazing ability to score with the ball made him a star but didn't make him a winner. Which I pointed out to him. Which he didn't like."

Or as George Karl said, "I want as much effort on defense -- maybe more -- as on offense. That was never going to happen with Melo, whose amazing ability to score with the ball made him a star but didn't make him a winner. Which I pointed out to him. Which he didn't like."
:roll:

I don't think anyone here is expecting anything from him on D.

I disagree with your assessment of Harden's D. While it can come and go, he has gotten better with it lately. It's probably WAY better than Melo's! :D

I'll NEVER understand the fascination with acquiring Melo. Even in his prime the guy was the worst ball stopper in the league, and he's old now. No defense, and the next stop for the ball after he touches it is the rim. One of the most over rated players in the NBA, in my opinion...
I'm not jumping up and down about getting him, either. But maybe maybe maybe he can be a decent piece with all the other talent the Rockets have. Maybe. As long as they keep Capela...