Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

This Is lying...

Me: So I have heard that the 2x wont be available until May.

Salesman at Major Music Retailer: No, it says here on my computer that we will have them in stock next Friday (March 23). If you buy it now we will ship it out and you will have it in 10-14 Days

Me: Sounds good... here is my credit card number

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

If that's what his computer said (because it had never been updated with a new ETA), I still wouldn't call it a lie, which implies intent. It is very possible that the salesman thought that was accurate info at the time.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Damn really wish this wasn't delayed. I'm so ready buy this thing and move on from my little korg triton.

Sometimes I think companies show items like this that arent close to being finished just to try to keep people from buying something else.

Damn really wish this wasn't delayed. I'm so ready buy this thing and move on from my little korg triton.

Sometimes I think companies show items like this that arent close to being finished just to try to keep people from buying something else.

Yes, I think that can be part of the strategy. Companies always have a choice as to whether to announce something well before it's ready to ship or not, and they probably make that choice based on how they think the announcement will affect sales, in all respects, which includes how the announcement may effect the sales of their existing products, and also how it may impact their competition. But the further they are from shipping, the harder it is for them to predict when it will actually ship, and there are risks that come with too much lead time. If a piece has to be repeatedly delayed, besides frustrating some potential customers, you've also given your competitors knowledge of what's coming, and they may adjust marketing and product development accordingly, so you may be reducing your window of having greatest competitive advantage.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

When there are repeated delays in any release my mind always goes to the negative: theyve found a software bug, they are having production issues, etc. I think it affects the way I view the product over time. Ive lost a bit of GAS over this keyboard, wondering whats just over the horizon from other manufacturers.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

When there are repeated delays in any release my mind always goes to the negative: theyve found a software bug, they are having production issues, etc. I think it affects the way I view the product over time. Ive lost a bit of GAS over this keyboard, wondering whats just over the horizon from other manufacturers.

I've completely lost any GAS over this. I got rid of my Compact 2 because I was excited about the 2X. They might as well wait until the January NAMM 2019 show, if they can even get it ready by then. I think there will be other new items there that will get more attention. Studiologic has really screwed the pooch on this one.

I dunno. Behringer's Model D, now that it's available, is flying off the shelves so fast that the dealers can't keep a floor model to check out. With a little luck, the 2X will still be good after the wait.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I'm buying the 2X mainly to use as an 88-key MIDI controller. The built-in sounds are really just icing on the cake. I'm currently using a 76-key Roland JV-90 as a controller (to control my Fantom X7), but I wanted something that I could use to with a Mac, as well.

As it turns out, I just couldn't get used to feel of a weighted-key controller (I'm not a "piano" player, so I sold the Arturia and I'm waiting on the X2. I like the fact that the X2 can be used to control both a computer and an external MIDI sound source (such as the Fantom), simultaneously.

I am really digging the organ sounds that I've heard coming from the X2 (not that I would really fiddle with drawbars in realtime). And, I'm digging the fact that it has aftertouch (I would have bought a Nektar LX88+, if it had aftertouch).

Anyway, I have an X2 on order and, based on what I've been reading, we're probably looking at early September before it ships. I'm really excited about it, though.

I'm buying the 2X mainly to use as an 88-key MIDI controller. The built-in sounds are really just icing on the cake. I'm currently using a 76-key Roland JV-90 as a controller (to control my Fantom X7), but I wanted something that I could use to with a Mac, as well.

As it turns out, I just couldn't get used to feel of a weighted-key controller (I'm not a "piano" player, so I sold the Arturia and I'm waiting on the X2. I like the fact that the X2 can be used to control both a computer and an external MIDI sound source (such as the Fantom), simultaneously.

I am really digging the organ sounds that I've heard coming from the X2 (not that I would really fiddle with drawbars in realtime). And, I'm digging the fact that it has aftertouch (I would have bought a Nektar LX88+, if it had aftertouch).

Anyway, I have an X2 on order and, based on what I've been reading, we're probably looking at early September before it ships. I'm really excited about it, though.

Wow, ditto... check the keyboards in my signature.

I'm currently using my XP-80 in our worship band as a midi controller for MainStage. I'd prefer to bring my JV-90 as it seems lighter (even though it's very similar), but the faders next to the pitch bend on the JV-90 can't be configured to send midi and the XP-80's can.

Our church supplies a 49-key controller, and I just bring my Roland when the songs need the extra keys.

I'm especially fond of the Numa's dimensions, as it looks like I'd be able to fit it in my 76-key-sized SKB case!

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Can I ask: what's stopping you using the JV90 with a Mac (apart from a $25 USB MIDI interface)?

Cheers, Mike.

I'm currently using my XP-80 in our worship band as a midi controller for MainStage. I'd prefer to bring my JV-90 as it seems lighter (even though it's very similar), but the faders next to the pitch bend on the JV-90 can't be configured to send midi and the XP-80's can...

Respectfully, sir, I would encourage you to read your manual again on this matter. Although you're assumption is correct that you can't assign the volume or presence slider to transmit midi data, the JV90's C1 slider can indeed be assigned to transmit controller data internally, externally, or both. Furthermore, you can actually use the 8 parameter sliders to transmit data while in V-Exp mode; although (as far as I've learned) it would be limited to the 8 pre-assigned parameters (left of the sliders), and at that, at a very poor resolution speed, so I wouldn't recommend their use for quick/smooth filter-like fx.

Apologies for derailing this thread.

I'm currently using my XP-80 in our worship band as a midi controller for MainStage. I'd prefer to bring my JV-90 as it seems lighter (even though it's very similar), but the faders next to the pitch bend on the JV-90 can't be configured to send midi and the XP-80's can...

Respectfully, sir, I would encourage you to read your manual again on this matter. Although you're assumption is correct that you can't assign the volume or presence slider to transmit midi data, the JV90's C1 slider can indeed be assigned to transmit controller data internally, externally, or both. Furthermore, you can actually use the 8 parameter sliders to transmit data while in V-Exp mode; although (as far as I've learned) it would be limited to the 8 pre-assigned parameters (left of the sliders), and at that, at a very poor resolution speed, so I wouldn't recommend their use for quick/smooth filter-like fx.

Apologies for derailing this thread.

Supposedly it's going to be awhile until we see the Numa Compact 2x, so a minor derail can't hurt, right? :eek::blush:

You're correct, and I should clarify. Yes (I was aware), you can program C1 on the JV-90 as you explained... however for my application and preference, I wanted to map one fader to overall volume and the other to act as a mod wheel where it feels natural to me. Admittedly, I've never experimented with V-EXP mode, so I'll definitely go home and toy around with that a bit. Thanks for the info!

Carry on... ;)

MainStage; Hammond SK1-73; Roland XP-80, JV-90, JV-1080, JV-1010, AX-1; Korg microSAMPLER;

Boss DR-880; Beat Buddy; Neo Instruments Ventilator; TC Electronic ND-1 Nova Delay

Hey Mike...I suppose I could use the JV-90 to control the Mac, as well (I do have a MIDI interface, actually). My long-term plan was to eventually go with a full virtual instruments rig (two 88-key controllers), but porting over all my existing samples and recreating all my patches and keyboard splits would have been too daunting a task.

Strange as it may sound, having that extra octave with the X2 is really helpful for adding another zone for sounds. And, having aftertouch is also useful (something that the JV-90 doesnt have). Having the X2 faders might come in handy, if I want to do some realtime control (not sure how helpful they will be in actually programming sounds, since they can only modify [without tweaking] 9 predefined parameters).

But, aside from the extra sounds that the X2 will provide, one of the biggest reasons to ditch the JV-90 is the shiny new toy factor...LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Still on the fence whether I want a modest upgrade with the 2x or make a giant leap for a Dexibell J7.

I'm not convinced that the J7 is a giant leap. On the plus side: much better live interface, motorized drawbars, custom sample loading. Maybe better piano, I'm not sure. OTOH fewer keys, no aftertouch, no VA synth engine, and from my experience with other Numa and Dexibell models, weaker EPs. In terms of other sounds, I wouldn't assume Dexibell will beat Numa. If you don't need the 88 keys or aftertouch, I'd also look at Kurzweil Artis 7 and Roland VR730 as possible sonic and ergonomic upgrades to the Numa, for less than the J7.

The Numa should be better than the VR730 as a controller...

VR730: 1 MIDI zone, no sliders that send MIDI CC; 100 storable presets, 16 accessible through direct buttons

Numa: 2 MIDI zones, 9 sliders that send MIDI CC, plus aftertouch; 100 storable presets, but not accessible through direct buttons

Artis 7: 4 MIDI zones, 9 sliders and 6 buttons that send MIDI CC; 256 storable presets, all accessible through direct buttons

If it's not for live performance, or you have some other mechanism for patch select, then the quick accessibility of patches through direct buttons isn't such an issue.

Thanks Scott. Thats very helpful. Puzzling that Rolands sliders dont send midi info. Thats a show stopper for me. If I recall correctly that was the case with my JV-90 a bunch of years ago, but in 2018 I dont get what theyre thinking. So, the VR-730 is out, but I will consider the Artis 7. BTW, Im looking for a controller for live performance.

I just received my 2/2X soft case yesterday (that was ordered in February). Perhaps they weren't on the same slow boat after all?

Still on the fence whether I want a modest upgrade with the 2x or make a giant leap for a Dexibell J7.

I also received my StudioLogic Numa 2/2x soft case over a week ago as well. Looking at the size of the case and comparing it to the other cases in my rig there is very little doubt that it will be the most portable 88 note keyboard/controller in my rig by a lot.

----------------------------------------------------------

Gig: Yamaha MODX7, NumaX 73 Piano  Studio: Kawai ES-920; Hammond SK Pro 73; Yamaha Motif ES7 w/DX,VL,VH; Yamaha YC 73; Kawai MP-6; Numa Compact 2x

Puzzling that Rolands sliders dont send midi info. Thats a show stopper for me. If I recall correctly that was the case with my JV-90 a bunch of years ago, but in 2018 I dont get what theyre thinking.

They do send MIDI info, but unfortunately, they send sysex instead of CCs.

Numa: 2 MIDI zones, 9 sliders that send MIDI CC, plus aftertouch; 100 storable presets, but not accessible through direct buttons

If I understand it correctly there are also two split/layer zones for the internal Numa sounds, allowing you to split/layer 4 ways per program (preset).

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

If I understand it correctly there are also two split/layer zones for the internal Numa sounds, allowing you to split/layer 4 ways per program (preset).

I believe there is only a single split point available for a program; you can have two internal sounds (one on top and one on bottom), and two MIDI-triggered sounds, (one on top, one on bottom, same split point). So while it is capable of 4 sounds (2 internal and 2 external), it still has only two MIDI zones. Whether the two internal sounds count as two additional (non-MIDI) zones (as opposed to more sounds you can put into the same zones) is a matter of semantics, but they're not additional MIDI zones.

88 keys & 15 lbs? I'm so ready for this, lightweight table stand, iPhone as a sound generator, 2-oz IEMs, oh yeah!

88 keys, 15 lbs, aftertouch, MIDI sliders, battery operation, and even speakers. It hits a lot of boxes. The sounds are secondary, IMO. Based on what I've heard (including the current model), it's got some nice sounds (I like the EPs), most of it is serviceable, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if the new organ and VA synths are any great shakes. It's still a bargain, and as you said, you can supplement the sounds easily enough if you need to. A good patch selection scheme is the piece you still have to figure out. I think they missed the boat a little there by not making better use of the buttons. But I think you've got it right... the best way to see this may be as a controller, with bonus "good enough" sounds. For sounds and real-time performance ergonomics it's a compromise, but you can't have everything, especially for $699.

It's an interesting concept... I wonder if they had targeted $799-999 what they might have beefed up. The build, the sounds... Maybe nothing. Maybe this is just the instrument they are aiming for and intend to sell a lot of them.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560