Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2935308 - 06/29/18 11:44 AM Wireless or cable
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
I been looking at the Boss WL20, simple plug and play. Cost $179, not a bad price. Has anybody use it or any wireless system?

GP Island
#2935331 - 06/29/18 01:39 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: surfergirl]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/U2Blk--xvive-audio-u2-wireless-guitar-system-black <---check out these from Sweetwater Surfergirl. I have a buddy that bought them and they work very well. They charge up overnight or whenever you are not playing and hold the charge for the gig(s). They even fit the Strat input jack design. Reasonable price too! cool

#2935338 - 06/29/18 02:20 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Larryz]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
surfergirl & larryz I use wires myself, but if I was playing out, I would try either one of those.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2935343 - 06/29/18 02:33 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: desertbluesman]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I don't have the Boss. I have and OLD Samson and Shure systems but I've always been satisfied with Boss products. I really like the Shure GLX pedal system but that is a lot more money. If reviews were good I wouldn't be concerned with taking a chance on the Boss system. My favorite use of a wireless system is to double check the mic placements on your guitar cab.

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2935378 - 06/29/18 09:42 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: CEB]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Wireless makes sense if you need to roam while playing. If you're going to be within 15 feet of your amp, or pedalboard, $179 would buy you a whole lot of cables. Do you need to stroll through the audience?

#2935380 - 06/29/18 09:46 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 DBM and Scott, I like a good cord going to the amp or pedal board and I don't dance around much on stage anymore LOL! twothumbs

#2935404 - 06/30/18 07:00 AM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Scott Fraser]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Wireless makes sense if you need to roam while playing. If you're going to be within 15 feet of your amp, or pedalboard, $179 would buy you a whole lot of cables. Do you need to stroll through the audience?

I'm with Scott on this. Wireless is a lot of expense, for limited benefit, if you don't really need to be able to step 50 feet or more from your stage rig. Are you doing a lot of outdoor shows?

http://www.novparolo.com

#2935486 - 07/01/18 04:09 AM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Winston Psmith]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
When I was a wedding photographer I've only done TWO in which the couple chose a band instead of a DJ, and one of the bands were wireless and had a few issues with it, but that shouldn't sway you any. Otherwise, I always thought it was a good development in guitar playing technology, and as another one who comes from times when that sort of option wasn't available, I can say there were times when I WISHED it was, as it would have eliminated the possibilities of what became really embarrassing situations. wink
Whitefang

#2935648 - 07/01/18 09:18 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: whitefang]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Personally, I prefer a really good quality, good sounding, low-noise, durable cable, and I found just that in the Asterope AST-B10-RSN Pro Stage Series cable; 10', Right-Angle to Straight. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Intended for amplified-acoustic instruments, it really serves up every bit of what my Les Paul puts out extremely cleanly and clearly.

I just don't have any need for wireless, and completely need quality tone and performance.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2935689 - 07/02/18 04:52 AM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I have a wireless, but I don't use it. Just one less thing to worry about working right.

#2935768 - 07/02/18 11:46 AM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: picker]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
By a unanimous vote we decided no on wireless. We are going to put that money towards a PA system instead. We have $800. to start, will probably go higher.

#2935816 - 07/02/18 01:48 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: surfergirl]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Good plan. You'll get more useful value from the PA, in my opinion.

#2935842 - 07/02/18 04:15 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

+1 thu

#2935877 - 07/02/18 10:18 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: surfergirl]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
...Boss WL20, simple plug and play. Cost $179...

The cable I mentioned above will cost you a hundred dollars less, and serve you better... rawk

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
By a unanimous vote we decided no on wireless. We are going to put that money towards a PA system instead. We have $800. to start, will probably go higher.

Good call. cool twothumbs

#2936637 - 07/07/18 11:40 AM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I generally don't stand still onstage... a 15 or 20 foot cable from my pedal board or my bass amp has always given me more than enough room to roam, even on big stages.

Actually, playing a pickup cover gig recently, the bassist had a wireless thing and would hop off the stage and walk around and talk to people while we were playing... so the singer/guitarist who hired us all to play the gig got pissed and started walking over to me and we'd modulate the song to a different key, which threw the bassist off and made him look stupid. "You guys keep changing keys on stuff mid-song..." "Well, if you were up here where you're supposed to be you'd know when that's going to happen."

#2936687 - 07/08/18 02:15 AM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: p90jr]
The Geoff Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Glasgow
I'm very happy with my Smooth Hound kit:

https://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/

I don't know if this is legal in the US as I think the regs are a bit different here & there.

I can be in direct contact with the CEO & inventor of this should I need to be. He's very helpful, a bit like John East pre amps.

G.

#2936798 - 07/08/18 10:09 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: The Geoff]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Originally Posted By: The Geoff
I'm very happy with my Smooth Hound kit:

https://www.smoothhound-innovations.com/

I don't know if this is legal in the US as I think the regs are a bit different here & there.

I can be in direct contact with the CEO & inventor of this should I need to be. He's very helpful, a bit like John East pre amps.

G.

Geoff! THE Geoff!

#2936902 - 07/09/18 12:45 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I guess tis particular thread's point's been answered by SGirl's grp decision to skip the idea for now but I must point out what I think's a flaw in logic or in consideration of possibilities.
Quote:

There' is some value in being able to roam freely, even if yer not doing some Gtr Slim tricks.
Live music can be much more than just playing songs, although that's fine. Stage shows can be v.effective in building success & let's face it, most ppl at live shows are there for something other than good music...& the more "bar/club" yer situation, the more ppl will not be focused on the musical quality.
Even if they are, an entertaining presentation helps.

There may be other reasons for going cable-free.
Less clutter onstage, even if not particularly showy in presentation (ever trip over a cord or have one get pulled loose ?).
Maybe yer not even on a stage, playing in a park, etc.
Easier w/line connections or wireless ?

#2937019 - 07/10/18 12:00 AM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: d]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: d
I guess tis particular thread's point's been answered by SGirl's grp decision to skip the idea for now but I must point out what I think's a flaw in logic or in consideration of possibilities.
Quote:

There' is some value in being able to roam freely, even if yer not doing some Gtr Slim tricks.
Live music can be much more than just playing songs, although that's fine. Stage shows can be v.effective in building success & let's face it, most ppl at live shows are there for something other than good music...& the more "bar/club" yer situation, the more ppl will not be focused on the musical quality.
Even if they are, an entertaining presentation helps.
There may be other reasons for going cable-free.
Less clutter onstage, even if not particularly showy in presentation (ever trip over a cord or have one get pulled loose ?).
Maybe yer not even on a stage, playing in a park, etc.
Easier w/line connections or wireless ?

Weigh a known connection vs a maybe connection. Wireless now is vastly better than the crappy days when I had to carry 6 channels of RF mics in order to get 3 singers on stage wirelessly. Still, in some parts of the country 6 channels didn't guarantee 3 good, clear frequencies. It's better now, with frequency agile systems, though a high quality dependable unit costs WAY more than $179. In the end, unless there is a truly compelling reason for wireless, which is to say, you absolutely have to cover a large stage territory, I'll take a wire any day of the week for the security of knowing I will not ever have a drop out, an RF hit, or interference from competing sources.

#2937090 - 07/10/18 08:07 AM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Scott Fraser]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Getting the spaghetti up off of the floor is a good reason for going wireless. But I still prefer the cords and you usually don't have a lot of room to dance around in front of the mic anyway. If you are going to run around on stage like Garth Brooks or Lindsey Buckingham, you might want to go wireless. For most of us mortals, the wires work just fine.

However a couple of my buds doing small outdoor gigs for the kids at American History Days at the school, like using the wireless for getting out in the crowd and/or making it look like they have no mic's...One of them always uses the wireless I recommended above as his other one crapped out on him on guitar... cool

#2937203 - 07/10/18 03:51 PM Re: Wireless or cable [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
To perhaps clarify my comment above, I'm suggesting that for some presentations cablelessness would allow greater or more interesting options.
Someone just randomly bopping around ? Nah.
(Although when someone dragged me to a GunzNRosettes show way back in the 1990s, I was intrigued by them wandering their multi-level stage & sitting or lying on props).
A choreographed show might require a cordless set.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose