Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2935121 - 06/28/18 01:16 PM What is your vocal range
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Vocal Range (Key)
You may choose 2

Votes accepted starting: 06/28/18 01:15 PM
View the results of this poll.

GP Island
#2935130 - 06/28/18 01:42 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: DocPate]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
My songs are in E, G, A, C, and D. Some in major key some in minor keys.

But my actual vocal style is; croaking in any key. The frogs would be proud of me. cheers
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2935140 - 06/28/18 02:12 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I selected E and D low to high for range minor or major. I sing in all of the keys, but I prefer E for some reason. I like A and G and C as well. I do a song or two in F and another in B...I also do a song in F#minor and G#/Ab works well for my voice as I get older LOL! cool

#2935155 - 06/28/18 03:25 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Larryz]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
To be honest, vocals are my real instrument. I play guitar for fun.

My range was once pegged at 4.5 octaves. Generally, I sing tenor, but I can do baritone.

Age has robbed me a little of my range on the top end, but given me a bit more on the low. When I was tested, my lowest note was the low E# on a standard-tuned guitar, and I could nail almost any high note recorded by a male rock singer. I’m now usually a tad flat of hitting the top note in A-Ha’s “Take on me”.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2935195 - 06/28/18 09:09 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
Vocally I cover the entire range from awful to pathetic. You don't want me singing.

#2935225 - 06/29/18 04:39 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
laugh
Well, like I stated elsewhere, since "J" and "M" weren't available, I sat this one out. wink

I've sung songs in most any key, so I have no "preferable" key. But did(and still do) have trouble with the higher registers, regardless of the key.
Whitefang

#2935300 - 06/29/18 11:13 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: desertbluesman]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
I'd have to check to be certain.
One thing I've begun doing the past year is singing a lot away from any instrument which started as a way to both combat boredom & to improve my hearing acuity & pitch control [try it, it works !] but I think it's also had the seemingly contradictory effects of widening my range & tending to center me around certain pitches that must be comfortable to my body.
Originally Posted By: Larryz
I selected E and D low to high for range minor or major. I sing in all of the keys, but I prefer E for some reason. I like A and G and C as well. I do a song or two in F and another in B...I also do a song in F#minor and G#/Ab works well for my voice as I get older.

Those key selections are prolly more to do w/singing w/the gtr than anything. The most gtr-friendly keys.
Originally Posted By: desertbluesman
...my actual vocal style is; croaking in any key. The frogs would be proud of me. cheers

The you'll love this "sing-stavaganza", esp the verse that starts at 2:07 !
"White tie, tail-coat but no britches on !" grin

#2935329 - 06/29/18 01:23 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: d]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: d
Originally Posted By: Larryz
I selected E and D low to high for range minor or major. I sing in all of the keys, but I prefer E for some reason. I like A and G and C as well. I do a song or two in F and another in B...I also do a song in F#minor and G#/Ab works well for my voice as I get older.

Those key selections are prolly more to do w/singing w/the gtr than anything. The most gtr-friendly keys.

Not at all correct. While it is true that 99% of the time when I sing, I'm probably backing myself up with a guitar these days. But, that has nothing to do with my vocal range nor the keys I select to sing in. I can sing with or without a guitar, with my keyboard, with my band(s), karaoke, acapella, along with the radio, etc. Guitar friendly keys is not a concern as I can play in any key. The lowest key I sing in is E, doesn't mean I can't sing or play in Eb. The highest key I chose was D simply because I sing a few songs in D but not very many. Going from E F G A B C D you can see why I end up on D for my vocal range.

I choose the key based upon the song I'm singing. I try to sing them in the original key when possible, but will transpose to a different key to fit the chosen song to where my voice sounds the best, and is most comfortable from the lowest to highest notes of the song. It really has nothing to do with being guitar friendly. I do love playing in the key of E and a big percentage of my material falls into that key. But I will change any song to any key. My guitar is in 440 and plays along with just about any record or band when I show up to play. The keys I sing in are decided by me and no one else and they are based upon the above comments. I will sing back up on anyone else's song in any key if it feels comfortable, but the lead singer always calls the key IMHO. If not, I just play and sing solo. cool

#2935336 - 06/29/18 02:03 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Larryz]
A String Administrator Offline
Admin
10k Club

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I used to be able to hit 5 octaves....in the old days.
My Pics

#2935394 - 06/30/18 04:22 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: A String]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

I'll betcha that whenever I hit ANY octaves(s) that I did more DAMAGE! wink
Whitefang

#2935405 - 06/30/18 07:01 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: whitefang]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
While I understand the question, I don't understand the poll. I can sing ALL of the keys. That has nothing to do with range. Also....natural? Falsetto? Studio? Live? Just hit the notes or actually sound good? I can sing every Journey song under the sun sounding like shit straining on the high notes, but I'll hit them. I can sing the low part on Seven Bridges Road,but live I'm swallowing the mic and giving it all I got just to be heard at all. Falsetto I can hit the highest harmonies of any Boston and the Prince shrieks in songs like kiss. Theres stuff I "Can" do but shouldn't, lol. So yeah, I got a range, but most of it is worthless when it comes to LEAD vocals, but it generally works for backups. I DO have a goo lead vocal range, but not nearly as wide as what is usable for backups, IMHO

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2935408 - 06/30/18 07:19 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: J. Dan]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Not sure about range; maybe B3 to C4, somewhere in there, but I make up for it in volume. NYC kid, learned to be heard three blocks away, yelling over the din of street traffic and noise. Not sure I can hit a note, but I can knock a pigeon off a fire escape.

http://www.novparolo.com

#2935422 - 06/30/18 09:18 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

@Dan. Sure, many can sing in all keys. But, as you point out, we strain to make certain notes even in one octave. Or at least I can't go through all notes in several keys even in one octave. When I hit 80 years of age, my raspy voice lost anything above middle C and migrated down a few notes.

As far as singing a given song, I rarely try to sing a cover in the artist's key anyway. But I do understand your comments about the poll. I guess I was thinking what keys do you feel are most comfortable to you

#2935423 - 06/30/18 09:20 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
Not sure about range; maybe B3 to C4, somewhere in there, but I make up for it in volume. NYC kid, learned to be heard three blocks away, yelling over the din of street traffic and noise. Not sure I can hit a note, but I can knock a pigeon off a fire escape.

That could be the garlic, you know.

#2935424 - 06/30/18 09:29 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
Originally Posted By: Dannyalcatraz
Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith

That could be the garlic, you know.

Nope, not a fan . . . Ranks somewhere below Broccoli and Liver on the list of "Things I might eat if I were starving to death." Pigeon ranks higher . . .

http://www.novparolo.com

#2935436 - 06/30/18 11:05 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Winston Psmith]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Ahhh...we may share tastes in music & gear, but I suspect we may not dine in similar culinary circles.

S’all good, though.

#2935445 - 06/30/18 12:07 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Hmmmm...wonder if there's a correlation between culinary and musical tastes?

#2935461 - 06/30/18 03:38 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

I don't eat cottage cheese, mac and cheese, meat loaf, tomato soup, grilled cheese sandwiches, brussels sprouts, okra, garbanzo beans, croutons, liver, frozen peas, rice a roni, curried anything...It's not that I can't, I just prefer not to. I don't think there is any culinary correlation to my musical tastes. I am careful with what I eat and drink before playing in front of an audience though... cool

#2935462 - 06/30/18 03:39 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: DocPate]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maybe in ethnic cuisine and traditional music forms.

#2935468 - 06/30/18 06:04 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: DocPate]
Steevo Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Paducah,KY USA
Last vocals I did was in 1981. But today I could do E2 to G4 musically.

#2935598 - 07/01/18 05:41 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Steevo]
Kenji13 Offline

Loc: NY
I never had a proper singing lessons, but I can do G2 to A4.

#2935686 - 07/02/18 04:49 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Kenji13]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
I used to be a high tenor, until a few years ago. Then I noticed there were high notes I used to hit with ease that I couldn't hit at all anymore.
Just another reminder of approaching decrepitude.

#2935896 - 07/03/18 06:30 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: picker]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I don`t think I`ve ever been measured. But I have mentioned before-without getting into too much detail-that I`m part of a theatrical/performance art group, where I sing songs by popular female artists, all in the original keys. Actually, the show is rapidly approaching its fifth anniversary-hard to believe. A couple of years ago I hired a singing teacher, to help make my high notes sound less `falsetto-y`. Ironically, he ended up being a judge in a singing contest I entered a few months later. Anyway all this has been totally aside from performing my own songs. It has certainly helped my singing overall. Early this year I sang this one-I was sure I was gonna hurt myself, but it turned out okay.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

#2936365 - 07/05/18 04:27 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: skipclone 1]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

"What is your vocal range?"

Limited.

#2936366 - 07/05/18 04:28 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: p90jr]
p90jr Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

But in all seriousness, I think I'm a tenor... who cracks on the higher notes, now. Which is strange because I have a low speaking voice.

No, I think I might be a baritone, actually... I can hit C5 but I might be sorry afterwards...

#2939263 - 07/24/18 02:38 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: p90jr]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It's been different over the years.

When I was 11 years old, my range went from the D below the open low E string to the G at the 15th fret on the high E string, so...3 and a third octaves. Then I discovered the trumpet, girls, and weed, and pretty much stopped singing for a long time.

Cut to '88; the ending of a band I was in led me to the conclusion that I didn't want to be dependent on another singer ever again. Started working on regaining my vocal skills.

I never did get my 11-year-old range back entirely; currently, I have just under a 3-octave range, from F to E-flat inside the range previously mentioned. I'll probably regain a couple of notes on the high end, but I doubt I'll ever get those low notes back.

#2939308 - 07/24/18 08:57 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: hurricane hugo]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Male voices tend to drop pitch with age. Don’t be surprised to find yourself getting them back...just as the high end cuts out.

#2939312 - 07/24/18 10:45 PM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
J. Dan Offline
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Difficult to answer because it depends. I have a wide range of notes I can hit but that doesn't mean I can sing it powerfully in a lead vocal role and sound good. I can hit just about anything. About the highest I've sang lead are songs like Roxanne, Lovin Touching Squeezing, or if you want to talk falsetto, Take on Me. Lowest I've sang live is the low part in Seven Bridges Road. On the high ones, when I did them, the high notes were a bit sketchy - meaning as long as I was having a good night, well hydrated, and well warmed up, I could hit them convincingly but probably not sound quite as good as some other singers I've heard. If I wasn't having a strong night, best to just skip those songs. A lot of it comes down to style as well - those are all sung rather "cleanly". Give me AC/DC or something like that and forget it.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2939324 - 07/25/18 03:56 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: J. Dan]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Yeah, I've always had trouble getting that "growl" in my voice. Or, "rasp" if you will... wink
Whitefang

#2939797 - 07/27/18 03:44 AM Re: What is your vocal range [Re: whitefang]
skipclone 1 Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Japan
I`ve always liked Paul Rodgers` singing-so many great Bad Company songs. I can sing in his range but no way can I do it with the rock edge he has.

Skipsounds on Soundclick:
www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose