Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#2935537 - 07/01/18 09:59 AM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: desertbluesman]
CEB Offline
10k Club

I liked him because he played fast. I was in 5th grade. In 1970 I was 6 years old. grin

Edited by CEB (07/01/18 10:00 AM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

GP Island
#2935547 - 07/01/18 11:26 AM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: CEB]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: CEB
I liked him because he played fast. I was in 5th grade. In 1970 I was 6 years old. grin

When I was 6 (1942) the fastest guitar player I knew was Gene Autry

&#128514;

#2935627 - 07/01/18 07:25 PM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
When I was 6 (1956) the fastest guitar player I knew was Scotty Moore...and I didn't even know his name LOL! I too remember Gene Autry and Roy Rogers as a couple of those singing cowboys in the old movies. They could play those acoustics and sing us a song while riding a horse...and they were pretty darn good too! Roy was part of and had the backing of the Sons of the Pioneers with Dale Evans singing harmony, so he had a little advantage over Gene LOL! snax

Edited by Larryz (07/01/18 07:27 PM)

#2935650 - 07/01/18 09:37 PM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: Larryz]
Scott Fraser Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Los Angeles
When I was 6 I wasn't really paying attention to music. When Woodstock came out (the only time I heard Alvin Lee & Ten Years After) I was 17 & people like Clapton & Hendrix were saying something far more meaningful to me than mere speed.

#2935682 - 07/02/18 03:54 AM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: Scott Fraser]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
Heh, when I was 6, I started becoming aware of guitar players like:
DUANE EDDY
CARL PERKINS

of course, even to a 6 year old kid in 1957 there weren't many(if any) who stuck out as "guitarists", as anybody who even STRUMMED a guitar was considered a "guitarist", wink

I'd first heard of Lee and Ten Years After when the drummer in the "basement band" I was in bought their self titled debut LP in '67. And not too long after just getting "hip" to Hendrix and Clapton. And too, not long before another buddy found the "Freak Out" LP by The Mothers Of Invention at some out of the way Downtown Detroit record shop. We all became instant Zappa fans then, even braving blizzard conditions to see the Mothers at Detroit's Ford Auditorium that December. Actually, I gave MY ticket to another friend as I came down with the flu. They told me there must have been about 40 people in the whole auditorium.

And I too, was already familiar with several blues guitarists by then. But, not the WHITE guy ones yet. wink
Whitefang

Edited by whitefang (07/02/18 04:00 AM)

#2935742 - 07/02/18 10:25 AM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: Scott Fraser]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Originally Posted By: Scott Fraser
Gotta say I never saw the point of Alvin Lee. His playing was fast, sloppy & meant nothing to me, had no emotional depth for me, nor even cerebral cleverness. Just my opinion, though.

Fair enough---but chk this...

They took me down the grading station
And they classified me zed
'Cause of over population
They told me that I would soon be dead
But I slipped out of the force field
And hid beneath the monorail
But the automatic blood hounds
Lord, they're soon hot along my trail
Now if I had been a scholar
With computer working hard
Then my molecular structure
Would not be on the grader's card
So, I know that they will get me
Put my index in the brain

But, yeah, he could be heavy, here's a track that is a relentless juggernaut.......& may've idk been part of the source material for Hendrix's "Pali Gap".

#2939264 - 07/24/18 02:41 PM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: d]
hurricane hugo Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Badi Assad's been my fave guitarist for a long time now. smile

#2939282 - 07/24/18 04:23 PM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: hurricane hugo]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
Here's one oft overlooked player mostly known for his work on the George Clinton funk teams...but capable of more, including some quite jazzy stuff.
As mentioned before I tend not to have a single hero but Hazel's an underappreciated player.

Chk out his remake of this John Phillips/Mamas & Papas classic which sorta does what Hendrix did to the Dyl's Watchtower, i.e., totally re-conceptualize it.

If y' think it might be too funky for you to dig the entire track, spot chk some sections:
The sly, controlled vibrato @ 0:09;
the echo/delay effect (actually played, I think) @ 0:31;
the hyper-speed lick under 0:45~47 & 0:58~1:02;
the spiraling, climbing/descending line @ 1:39~45.

The stutter-stepping tap dance inflected solo opening that starts @ 2:03;
another spiralling line @ 2:37 (can you say, "thematic content" ? grin );
the general way the multi-tracked lines throughout play off each other.

Her's what he did w/another rock classic,considerably more like the orig version & definitely showing a more rock-inflected style.
Gtr throughout but solos = 1:49~2:45; 3:06~end; of particular note may be the completely solo extemporization that starts at 9:00.

Finally here's an ex. that steps far outside the funk & rock for some gentle jazz balladry. Again note the use of multiple tracks, often in quite, uh, quiet background textures.
Gtr sections = 0:00~1:18 & 2:00~end.

#2940492 - 07/31/18 05:38 AM Re: Guitarist Preference [Re: d]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
Masterpieces, by a master, to be sure. Note his homage to Hendrix' "All Along the Watchtower" worked into California Dreamin' ", as well. rawk cool twothumbs

Originally Posted By: d
Here's one oft overlooked player mostly known for his work on the George Clinton funk teams...but capable of more, including some quite jazzy stuff.
As mentioned before I tend not to have a single hero but Hazel's an underappreciated player.

Chk out his remake of this John Phillips/Mamas & Papas classic which sorta does what Hendrix did to the Dyl's Watchtower, i.e., totally re-conceptualize it.

If y' think it might be too funky for you to dig the entire track, spot chk some sections:
The sly, controlled vibrato @ 0:09;
the echo/delay effect (actually played, I think) @ 0:31;
the hyper-speed lick under 0:45~47 & 0:58~1:02;
the spiraling, climbing/descending line @ 1:39~45.

The stutter-stepping tap dance inflected solo opening that starts @ 2:03;
another spiralling line @ 2:37 (can you say, "thematic content" ? grin );
the general way the multi-tracked lines throughout play off each other.

Her's what he did w/another rock classic,considerably more like the orig version & definitely showing a more rock-inflected style.
Gtr throughout but solos = 1:49~2:45; 3:06~end; of particular note may be the completely solo extemporization that starts at 9:00.

Finally here's an ex. that steps far outside the funk & rock for some gentle jazz balladry. Again note the use of multiple tracks, often in quite, uh, quiet background textures.
Gtr sections = 0:00~1:18 & 2:00~end.

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose