Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2934576 - 06/25/18 01:44 PM Build your own dream guitar thread.
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Ok here is mine.

For electric 25-1/2 inch scale, double cutaway solid body, Strat like but better, 24 jumbo frets on maple or ebony fingerboard (or a composite fingerboard that mimics ebony). Duncan distortion hum-bucking pickup in the rear, and 2 noiseless single coils front and middle, (or better yet, Duncan little 59'ers middle and front) 3 on off switches for pickup selection, ash body with a clear nitrocellulose lacquer. One volume control placed between the normal volume control and middle pickup tone control position on the Strat style, eliminating the old volume control, and middle tone control, and using one tone control for all pickups. Set neck with the cutaway on the bottom allowing the standard fretting hand postilion all the way to the 24th fret without contortions.

For acoustic if I actually played one, a Martin D45.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

GP Island
#2934611 - 06/25/18 06:25 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: desertbluesman]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
1954 Telecaster

#2934613 - 06/25/18 06:52 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: DocPate]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

My very first electric guitar was a fifties Telecaster. Paired with a blackface bass-man amp.

#2934625 - 06/25/18 08:31 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: desertbluesman]
picker Offline
10k Club

Loc: Near 12th Street and Vine...
Aw, I don't know. 24 3/4" scale sounds good, and ebony is my favorite fretboard wood. I'd want the biggest, tallest, fattest frets available. Bone nut, probably a Wilkinson bridge with locking saddles, and locking tuners. I think I'd like a hollow body, but with no f holes. It gets a little fuzzy from there. Body shape? Nothing weird, but nothing boring either. Humbuckers always seem to work best for me, but P90s are pretty cool too. And Tele bridge pickups are "da bomb", but strat neck pickups are very nice.
I think I would simply have to have more than one dream guitar, just to cover all the bases I want to.

#2934629 - 06/25/18 08:59 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: picker]
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
Neck through, but strat radius and feel. Locking tremolo, HSS pickup configuration. Here's where I get lost - not sure on switching, tone pots, volume....just know that I would want to go from glassy strat to aggressive LP in the same guitar. Even Charvel EVH. SOME way to get every possible combination in the same guitar....yet they play different so playing a sound on the "wrong" guitar is maybe still an issue, but it's impossible to change the action, neck, and other things when you switch pickups.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2934640 - 06/25/18 10:59 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: J. Dan]
Caevan O'Shite Offline
20k Club

Loc: The Great Spirit's Handprint o...
A Les Paul style axe with 8 strings, 'middle 6 strings' tuned Standard, with the new 1st tuned to a High-A and the 8th being a Low-B.

A "multi-scale" fanned-fret arrangement that has the 2nd string (usually the 1st) at the same 24.65"/24.75" as usual for a Les Paul, the 7th (usually the 6th) at about 25", and the 1st and 8th being whatever they wind up being following that. Strung through the body from the back of the guitar.

A 'conical', 'compound' radius fretboard design, ranging from 10' r at the nut, to a resulting 20" r at the bridge-saddles, with the frets in-between conforming. Comfy chord-grips on the lower registers, string-bending without "choking out" fret-buzz in the middle and higher registers, and a nice, almost Classical guitar flatness fro the picking-hand fingers.

Hot custom 8 string pickups from Jim Wagner/JWP/WCR pickups, based on his Iron man sets. A second similar guitar would have 8 string "soap-bar" P-90's.

Many other detes from my obsessive-compulsive manic mind...

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~
_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

#2934673 - 06/26/18 06:19 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: Caevan O'Shite]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
@Caevan - make that a "neck-thru" design, and I'll take one!

http://www.novparolo.com

#2934699 - 06/26/18 08:03 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: Winston Psmith]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
Gibson ES-175 with perfect action, intonation, electronics, neck, etc., probably in a Cherry Sunburst. It is within my reach financially but I'll wait until I get through downsizing LOL! cool

#2934704 - 06/26/18 08:28 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
My dream gtr thread would be one in which everyone, including new members Susan Tedeschi, Derek Trucks & Bill Harkleroad (look him up) invited me to come for extended visits, at their expense, while we worked up ideas for several collections of tunes on Halfnote Recs.... poke---Oh, you meant "build yer own dream gtr" thread. facepalm

I actual already had a version of my dream gtr: Les Paul for innate sustain qualities + Strat body styling, pu configuration & vib bar.
When/if I do that again, I'll some how add a wider neck for greater articulation...or as I almost typed, art-trick-ulation.

NexT !
snax

#2934711 - 06/26/18 09:48 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: d]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

In all seriousness, if there really were One Guitar Design To Rule Them All, we'd have come across it, by now. I use my different Guitar models in different ways, and I wouldn't necessarily want some hybrid, or Franken-Guitar, that tried to be all of them at once.

Admittedly, my approach to the Guitar overall is a bit different, so some of the features I'd look for in a Guitar of my own design would be mutually exclusive, like a Fretless neck vs. a Multi-Scale neck, or even a Micro-tonal neck. I find that I approach the 8-string very differently from the 7-string, so it's not an either/or choice, nor simply "more is better". I'd still like a 6/12 double-neck, for the sympathetic string sounds. Unless I went full Rick Nielsen, with some custom-built multi-neck monstrosity, there's no one Guitar that'll do it all, and we already have one Rick Nielsen.

#2934790 - 06/26/18 04:08 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Interesting responses amigos, I built one guitar that I still have. (I built several others but I gave them away to my kiddo a while back). The one I built and still have is as close as I could come to my dream instrument. But absolutely none of the big classic guitar companies have ever built one that comes close to my sonic wishes, play-ability, and looks. I guess the H,S,S Stratocaster with the tremolo locked solid, comes as close as any major USA manufacturer has ever come. Although my Ibanez RG321 (cost me $272 new 10 years ago) (Made in Malaysia I think), comes closer than anything that I ever bought already built.

#2934828 - 06/26/18 09:01 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: desertbluesman]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I figure in my old age that I can narrow it down to what I want in just one dream guitar and it's already out there. So, why re-invent the wheel? I just want it to be of very nice quality and I have nothing I want to add to it. I don't need to cover all the various sounds that are out there using just one guitar with different pups and wiring configurations. I can pretty much do what I want to do within my limitations with the guitars I have now...and, I'm not a good craftsman/luthier when it comes to actually building one myself LOL! cool

Edited by Larryz (06/26/18 09:01 PM)

#2934848 - 06/27/18 03:54 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: Larryz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
+1 on all that Larry.

As far as I'm concerned, What I know about guitar construction and electronics wouldn't fill a flea's belly, and any attempts by me to design and oversee construction of a custom instrument might well end up like Mr. Blandings building his dream house! wink
Whitefang

#2934856 - 06/27/18 05:19 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: whitefang]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

No thoughts of building my own, but PRS will make you just about anything you can think of . . . if you've got $10,000+/- to spend on a Guitar.

#2934919 - 06/27/18 10:40 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: Winston Psmith]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

It is easy to construct and build a dream guitar. You simply buy a kit of the woods needed already shaped, the neck already shaped & fretted with nut. The rest is easy all you do is install the parts (after paint or lacquer) wire the thing up, plug'er in and wail.

Here is the one I would build if I was younger and more interested in playing out. www.byoguitar.com/Guitars/Electric-Guitar-Kit-JEM-Style__BYO-JEM.aspx I would buy better electronics (pots and caps. & etc.) and pickups and install them in the kit.

A few hours to paint, a day to let it cure, and a few hours to assemble. You would be surprised at how easy it is to build a kit guitar. I would block the supplied tremolo solid.

#2934924 - 06/27/18 10:56 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: desertbluesman]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

That would be a fun project DBM. But I'm the type of guy who (back in the day) preferred to buy a guitar based on the sound. If I needed a different sound, it was buy a second, third, etc. guitar.

Each one was a "dream" guitar.

#2934959 - 06/27/18 03:46 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
FWIW...https://www.https://www.dreamguitars.com
puff

#2935164 - 06/28/18 04:10 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: d]
CEB Offline
10k Club

It depends on the gig.... But right now I'm really leaning towards Mahogany slabs with a single P90 and a volume knob and a tone control. It the 90s /2000s rock gig I'm doing I can get what tones I need just by changing the volume and tone knob on the guitar. Its sort of liberating. I still have a stupid pedalboard for some one off effects on a few songs. I wish I didn't need to carry it. The board is heavy.

I would like to pickup a 59 Junior but heck even those damn Norlin 59 Jr reissues from the 70s are $2500+ on GC and Reverb. No way. I'll get a Hamer first.

Edited by CEB (06/28/18 04:13 PM)

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!
So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

#2935409 - 06/30/18 07:24 AM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: CEB]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: CEB
I would like to pickup a 59 Junior but heck even those damn Norlin 59 Jr reissues from the 70s are $2500+ on GC and Reverb. No way. I'll get a Hamer first.

Used Hamer Special is just what you're looking for, CEB. Damned nice Guitars, but even they've gone way up in price.

#2935447 - 06/30/18 12:18 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I must admit though, if I were building my dream guitar (assuming I had the talent to do so), it would be an acoustic dreadnaught. Red Spruce top (aged over 40 years); Brazilian Rosewood (Legal) sides, back and bridge, Ebony (Legal) fretboard, Grover tuners, Ivory (Legal) nut and bridge pins and saddle, simple bindings and pickguard, and x-bracing using cedar or mahogany. Strung with medium D'Addario (EJ19): .012, .016, .025, .035, .045, .056. Hardshell case.

#2935472 - 06/30/18 08:18 PM Re: Build your own dream guitar thread. [Re: DocPate]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I used to buy woods from Dick Boak who ran the Martin guitars Saw Mill in Nazareth Pa at that time (mid 80's). I was buying ash and maple to make solid body guitars. I had several van loads of that wood. I made a few attempts at shaping my own bodies and using already made necks with everything but the finish on the necks. I decided it was too difficult a task unless I had a fully equipped wood shop which I was not willing to invest in.

Several years later I had moved to Reno Nevada and I brought my woods with us as well as the rest of our possessions, and the Dan Erlewine guitar bench http://www.danerlewine.com/ and I decided to sell the whole batch, necks, already shaped bodies (some of which were neck through the body roughed out), and the woods and the bench. So this guy from one of the little towns north of the bay area on the peninsula, wanted the stuff, he was a guitar builder and tech so I went over there and sold it to him (probably for half of what I had in it) That same day I sold a bunch of PA gear (I had a monster PA back then) to Mike Bendenelli who worked at Mesa Engineering in Petaluma Ca. I had a bunch of Boogies back then and I knew Mike from modding my amps which I used to send to him and bring in so we also knew each other as friends.

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose