Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2934522 - 06/25/18 10:27 AM Downsizing
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Virginia
When do you decide to downsize.

I'm at the age when it's time to pass my instruments on to others who will use them. I gave my grandson my Les Paul earlier.

Well, today I made the decision to pass my keyboard on to my Grandson. He will start lessons soon.

GP Island
#2934548 - 06/25/18 12:22 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
When the kids and the grandkids actually show an interest in guitar, I'll start the process. Otherwise, I can sell at anytime. When you have a dozen guitars and they are just sitting around in their cases, it's probably a good time to downsize. I sold a Tele to my Brother, and a Custom Shop Strat, I sold another Tele to my Son-n-law...I sold my Bass to a buddy in Norway, I gave an American Deluxe Strat to my Nephew, I sold my 62 Jag reissue to my old High School Buddy last Christmas...and I still have a dozen or more LOL! I'm trying to quit buying and size down, but for some reason I pick up another one here and there! cool

#2934564 - 06/25/18 01:06 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: Larryz]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: no longer lexington, Kenfunky,...
That's a good thing to do in one way, Doc, but kinda sounds like yer thinking in terms of life-down & I'd suggest, if so, to kick that mind-set to the kerb.
It be's the 21st C & life-spans may well extend beyond what wuz.

Another approach might be to get into the music of yer Next Gen pallies & then invite 'em over for some Family Jamilies !
w00t w00t keys w00t rawk rimshot w00t rockit w00t w00t

#2934582 - 06/25/18 02:07 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: DocPate]
desertbluesman Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Near Phoenix Az
Originally Posted By: DocPate

I had 6 guitars a few years ago.
A Strat Clone
A Philip Petillo Custom
A Gibson Les Paul Custom
A Gibson SG Faded with ebony fingerboard and half moon inlays
An Ibanez RG321
A homemade from parts Strat/tele almost clone.

I decided in my older years to sell off the ones I could get the most money for. The Les Paul went first for about $1500 on Craigslist,

The Philip Petillo custom went second, I sold it to Phil Petillo's wife as a keepsake for $750 (he charged me $1,000 in the mid 70's)

The Faded SG went a few months back for $750 (I only paid $600 for that guitar so it is the one and only one that I made a profit on).

I promised my Strat Clone to my wife's niece when I die. I guess my oldest kiddo might what what is left of my guitars and amps as keepsakes.

I have my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with the Eminence Cannabis Rex speaker and the $200 rebuild/re cap job, as well as a custom road case for $600 on Craigslist every weekend, no bites. If I sell that amp I will buy an Egnater Tweaker 40 watt head and pair it with my other EVM 12L speaker in a 1-12 cab. I will keep my Egnater Tweaker 15 watt head and it is stay paired with the EVM12L I have in another 1-12 cab.
Harvey Cedars is my stage name on Soundclick

#2934614 - 06/25/18 07:13 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: desertbluesman]
surfergirl Offline

Loc: Waialua, Hi
I'm trying to convince my Grandpa that he should downsize by handing down his Vibrolux reverb.

#2934659 - 06/26/18 04:19 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: surfergirl]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Loc: Lincoln Park, MI, UNITED STATE...
HA! DOWNSIZE?

With only TWO axes to begin with, it's no issue for me! wink

And even if I DID have a roomful, I'd first consider excising the ones I hardly(if ever) use, and then follow d's advice. wink
Whitefang

#2934697 - 06/26/18 07:54 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: whitefang]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

@ Surfergirl, +1 I hope your Grandpa hands down that amp. If one of my grandkids shows as much interest in guitar as you have, I will hand down any amps and guitars I have left! thu

#2934707 - 06/26/18 08:59 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: surfergirl]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: surfergirl
I'm trying to convince my Grandpa that he should downsize by handing down his Vibrolux reverb.

grin
Maybe you could convince him by singing this song w/ new lyrix...
"Do you love me, do you, Grandpa Mine ?"

#2934708 - 06/26/18 09:03 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Inside the Beltway
I think it's the Swedes, who have a phrase which roughly means "Death-cleaning", a shedding of material goods that traditionally starts in one's 50's. In a way, that's what we're talking about here.

Sadly, there is no Surfergirl in our family. 14 nieces and nephews, with a few dedicated Music fans, but no one who'd have any interest in my gear. One of my nieces described it thus: "Uncle Winston plays a lot of Instruments, but they're not the Instruments most people play." Somehow, I feel like I've failed these young people.

Being both organized and paranoid, I keep a running document on my computer, with ALL of my gear listed, and an old-fashioned manila file with all of my receipts. If I drop dead, my web-savvy wife has more than enough info to be able to put a value on whatever I leave behind, and we have good friends who would help.

If I felt that my faculties were failing me, or knew that my time was running out quickly, I'd give a few pieces to my Musician friends, give away all the peripherals, like cables, picks & Instrument stands, and sell off most of the rest. I'd keep the Alvarez 6-string until I really couldn't play it anymore, and one SG to go into the fire with me, at the end. Price of admission, where I'm going . . .

http://www.novparolo.com

#2934710 - 06/26/18 09:15 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Winston Psmith]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Well, maybe ya should save 1 for that Heavenly Band
Speakin' of Traditional Traditions, hear, here, another from N Europe, remade for the Modern World

#2934741 - 06/26/18 11:24 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: d]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I respect everyone's opinion. But when I hit my 80s and multiple disabilities keep me from even keeping my gear in tune much less playing them frequently, I realized it was time to pass them along to those who will actually get use from them. My daughter is into bluegrass and plays a great Mando so I gave her the Martin. My Son-in-law loves Classic Rock so he has the Les Paul and Marshall Bluesbreaker.

#2934751 - 06/26/18 12:01 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: DocPate]
mikesr1963 Offline

Loc: Virginia's East Coast
I've got 19 or so I'm looking at here with me now. Many customized and modified by me. Each has an envelop in the case explaining the wood it's made from the components and how it's set up. When I'm gone each will go to a remaining family member/relative somewhere.

Edited by mikesr1963 (06/26/18 12:02 PM)

#2934807 - 06/26/18 07:01 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: mikesr1963]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Dallas/FW Metroplex, Texas
No kids here. Not even relatives who play guitar. I’ve already “donated” my cello to our church music minister who wanted to learn how to play,

My gear collection will probably follow a similar path, I’m trying to sort out which charities will benefit and how. By “how”, I mean trying to decide if I will set up some kind of trust, just donate the instruments to certain organizations, or have a charitable auction with the proceeds to be distributed.

My FLMS- Murphy's Music in Irving, Tx

http://murphysmusictx.com/

#2934849 - 06/27/18 03:59 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

Well, Doc was talking about DOWNSIZING, not bequeathing, so let's keep it a bit more cheerful in here! wink
Whitefang

#2934877 - 06/27/18 07:12 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: DocPate]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: DocPate

I'm at the age when it's time to pass my instruments on to others who will use them. I gave my grandson my Les Paul earlier.

Well, today I made the decision to pass my keyboard on to my Grandson. He will start lessons soon.

@ Fang, I think you should read the OP again...sounds like "bequeathing" to me...many start the process while they are still young (i.e. in their 50's as mentioned above). cool

Edited by Larryz (06/27/18 07:16 AM)

#2934891 - 06/27/18 08:19 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Larryz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I guess it is "bequeathing" but I haven't come to grips yet with the finality of that word. 😂

#2934893 - 06/27/18 08:29 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: whitefang]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: whitefang
Well, Doc was talking about DOWNSIZING, not bequeathing, so let's keep it a bit more cheerful in here! wink
Whitefang

Seeing as how I don’t generally sell my stuff and have nobody to downsize to...

To be honest, I might set some of the stuff I mentioned to operate during my lifetime. My Wills & Estate professor often mentioned that doing during life what you intend to do via your testamentary documents is often quite satisfying. If nothing else, you get to see the smiles of gratitude instead of just imagining them.

But like I said, there’s nobody I can think of close to me that that would apply to. idk

#2934901 - 06/27/18 09:00 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

File this one under "None of us are getting any younger". At some point, we all have to deal with stuff we no longer need, or can no longer use, for whatever reason. Okay, most of us in here are probably old enough to wish we'd hung onto those original G.I. Joe's, or for the slightly younger members, those Kenner Star Wars toys, but otherwise, not so much.

My clothes can just go to some local charity. There's no heirloom furniture to worry about, no family silver, nothing pretentious enough for an "Estate Sale", so it really comes down to my Music gear. While little or none of that is Vintage nor collectable, at least as of yet, it's not yard sale junk, either. I also don't want to leave my poor wife sorting through it, capable as she may be; better to off-load while I can still take part in the process. It's another way of taking responsibility.

#2934923 - 06/27/18 10:54 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

Originally Posted By: Winston Psmith
File this one under "None of us are getting any younger".

I also don't want to leave my poor wife sorting through it, capable as she may be; better to off-load while I can still take part in the process. It's another way of taking responsibility.

And as Danny says, the smiles on the faces of the recipients makes it worth while.

#2934956 - 06/27/18 03:32 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: DocPate]
d Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Nobody gettin' younger ?
What's w/ you cats ?!
Age is a state of mind & succumbing too soon to "the inevi-table" should not be on "the table".
It does be the 21st C & even The Dyl ain't buying into that yet.

If ya wanna share what ya got w/others, let that be yer motive---not holding on til yer facing the exit door. eek

#2934985 - 06/27/18 05:53 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: d]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I frequently refer to myself as “Peter Pan”; I’m NOT feeling death’s cold finger tapping in my shoulder.

However, because I’m a lawyer with parents in their 70s and aunts & uncles in their 60s, I have to field questions about end of life issues all the time. And inevitably, someone (usually Mom) asks me about mine. Sometimes, it’s quite pointed.

So I’ve had to give things serious thought.

On the issue of spreading smiles in my lifetime, I DO know people who play. Most are +- my own age by just a few years, sooo.... But my barber has occasionally mused about picking up the guitar, and has asked my advice on shopping. If he asks at the right time, who knows?

#2934988 - 06/27/18 06:06 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

You aren't from Seville are you...

Barber of Seville so maybe he needs a classical guitar

#2935011 - 06/27/18 11:21 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: DocPate]
Dannyalcatraz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

grin

As I recall, I think he wanted to go electric. Probably wants to play some jazz & funk riffs.

#2935226 - 06/29/18 04:44 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Dannyalcatraz]
whitefang Offline
10k Club

grin
Likely, he'll be a replacement in the '80's "new wave" band HAIRCUT 100 ! wink
Whitefang

#2935608 - 07/01/18 05:55 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: whitefang]
Kenji13 Offline

Loc: NY
Andres Segovia continued to perform till he was age 94. Although passing your instruments to younger generation is generous and great, it is also inspiring to know that there is a guitarist who devote himself until the end of his life.

#2935624 - 07/01/18 07:14 PM Re: Downsizing [Re: Kenji13]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Originally Posted By: Kenji13
Andres Segovia continued to perform till he was age 94. Although passing your instruments to younger generation is generous and great, it is also inspiring to know that there is a guitarist who devote himself until the end of his life.

Downsizing does not mean I'm going to give all of my guitars to my kids and grandkids. I may not be all that inspiring and I'm no Andres Segovia, but I plan to keep one or two of my guitars and keep playing till the day I die LOL! thu

#2935734 - 07/02/18 09:32 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Larryz]
Winston Psmith Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Larryz
. . . I plan to keep one or two of my guitars and keep playing till the day I die LOL! thu

+10 "When they pry it from my cold, dead hands . . ."

#2935741 - 07/02/18 10:15 AM Re: Downsizing [Re: Winston Psmith]
DocPate Offline
Gold Member

I'll probably be buried with my Grammer

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose