Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2933921 - 06/21/18 02:43 PM HSS Strat Wiring
J. Dan Online   content
Bannination Free Since '08
10k Club

Loc: St. Louis, MO
I have an HSS strat (MIM) that I bought used and does not have the original PUPs. They sound OK but the wiring doesn't seem exactly standard and I'm getting buzz in positions I don't think I should. I may replace at least the Humbucker and I'm not looking for recommendations because I already have an idea what I'd like, but as long as I'm going to be opening her up, I'm looking at some alternate wiring possibilities. Mine's the variety with 2 tones and a volume.

Switch Position 1: To me, this should be just the humbucker. It buzzes. When I tap the pickup, sounds like it's the humbucker.

Switch Position 2: Still hum bucker but greatly reduced buzz. Sounds like a faint sound when I tap the middle but it may just be bleed. The tone pot for the middle pup does nothing, so I'm guessing still just the hum bucker, but wired different than the first position, or maybe first position is split and just one coil of the hum bucker.

Switch Position 3: Definitely a hot signal from the middle, as well as hum bucker. Tone pot for middle works as expected, Definitely a buzz going on.

Switch position 4: the only position that has no buzz at all (less than any of the hum bucker positions). No signal from hum bucker, hot signals from middle and neck pups, tone pots both work, but interact in a weird way.

Switch Position 5: Buzz, hot signal from neck, seems like faint from middle but probably bleed - neck tone works, middle does not.

So I think the 2 single coils are fine and maybe just not crazy about the humbucker - I like the sound of position 1 but it buzzes a lot so I end up using position 2 which is just OK.

But I don't necessarily care about conventional wiring. I was thinking of using a push/pull pot for the volume to tap the hum bucker, then maybe just do something like B, BM, M, MN, N with the M wired out of phase and the push pull determining if the B is H or S. Thoughts?

FWIW - I'm considering a JB or Pearly Gates for the Bridge.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

GP Island
#2933950 - 06/21/18 07:40 PM Re: HSS Strat Wiring [Re: J. Dan]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

Loc: Northern California
I think you have a bad wiring job...the humbucker may be bad or it's just getting a bad reputation from the wiring problem(s). In the B1 position there should be no buzz or hum at all (hence the humbucker is working properly and is wired correctly, grounded with a good 5 way, solder joints, pots, etc.). In the M3 position there should be no signal from the humbucker at all. In the BM2 position there should be a strong signal from both the middle and the bridge with the humbucker being a little stronger. In the N5 position there should be no signal from the middle. Sounds like MN4 position is the only one working correctly. Check wiring, 5way, ground, pots solder joints, input/output jack.

I tried to refer to the switch positions to match your decription. The B BM M MN N are the stock way to go. Tone pots work M and N. None on the bridge. Fender does make S1 switching (same as push/pull) which will allow a tone pot on the B if you want it. Or you could coil tap with a push/pull and have a single or double coil at the B position.

Anyway, hope this helps a little. Another idea on the push/pull would be to have the N and B combo by being able to turn the N on/off at any time...the way the Nashville Teles are wired. Have fun with it and hope you get some great sounds out of the axe when you get her wired up. A Tech can be a big help too. cool

Edited by Larryz (06/21/18 07:43 PM)

#2933952 - 06/21/18 07:57 PM Re: HSS Strat Wiring [Re: Larryz]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

You confirmed pretty much everything I was thinking. Do you have a schematic for the wiring if I wanted to go with a standard configuration with a push/pull? Also curious of the Nashville Tele wiring. I'm pretty competent - actually have an EE degree - I just haven't opened this one up yet to look at the wiring, trying to guess based on what's hot and the tone pots. But I have suspected since early on that it was wired wrong.

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

#2933969 - 06/21/18 10:48 PM Re: HSS Strat Wiring [Re: J. Dan]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

The Nashville Tele with S1 switch and 5way is listed here by Sweetwater, which is where I got the idea for kicking the front pickup in and out with the bridge (you can actually use all 3 simultaneously too) This gets you that front and back Tele sound which would be lost with just the 5way and no S1 or push/pull...a very cool Nashville Tele with specs, write up, price, etc., and with a cool video:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/...ue-cherry-burst

The newer HSS strats with S1 switch would be a good place to start. You can probably download some strat wiring diagrams from this site:

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000820386-Stratocaster-Service-Diagrams

hope this is helpful... cool

Edited by Larryz (06/21/18 10:58 PM)

#2934148 - 06/22/18 08:51 PM Re: HSS Strat Wiring [Re: Larryz]
J. Dan Online   content
10k Club

Very helpful, thanks!!!

#2934154 - 06/22/18 09:39 PM Re: HSS Strat Wiring [Re: J. Dan]
Larryz Offline
10k Club

thu

Moderator:  A String, Bluesape, myles_rose