Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2937280 - 07/11/18 06:44 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Al Quinn]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Just listened to the L'otary demo, that sounds very good!

KC Island
#2937302 - 07/11/18 07:54 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I heard about L'otary from Steve Nathan who had some involvement with it's development. There's more detail in Steve's L'otary tread if you're interested:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2872616/1

#2937308 - 07/11/18 08:17 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
I have L'otary and Melda MVintage. Both are good but in a live setting the difference between them and the B-5 rotary and overdrive is not worth the complication of running two AU's, L'otary in particular is a CPU hog, and mapping the mod wheel, overdrive etc. to a second AU.

The fizzy transistor like overdrive in VB3 1.4 was the one things I disliked. I was hoping that II might have got closer to the valve like warmth which the B-5 rotary sim offers.

#2937346 - 07/11/18 10:13 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markay]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I had always liked the tone of VB3, but was dismayed when Guido discontinued support for Mac. I went with Blue3 when it came out, and I did notice personally that I was pulling back on the distortion and organ sound artifacts quite a bit on the presets. However, I was able to do that early Yes Tony Kaye organ tone quite well with Blue3. I am going to look forward to having a lot of fun combining VB3 II and Blue3. Now to dust off Lotary...

#2937463 - 07/11/18 10:36 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
funkyhammond Offline

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
I helped Arnie (AcousticSamples B5 developer) out a bit with all this last year but I don't remember the specifics.

Ah, so that's why the B5 maps perfectly. smile

Right, so I was looking at the second table and didn't pay attention to the first table that shows that the CCs are receive only. Out of curiosity, what is the "drawbar limitation" that you are referring to that still wouldn't be solved mapping the NRPNs to CCs?

#2937486 - 07/12/18 04:09 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: funkyhammond]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: funkyhammond
Out of curiosity, what is the "drawbar limitation" that you are referring to that still wouldn't be solved mapping the NRPNs to CCs?

Unless I'm misunderstanding something the drawbars don't send NRPNs, only CC 80, 81 or 82.

#2937565 - 07/12/18 10:20 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
funkyhammond Offline

Unless I'm misunderstanding something the drawbars don't send NRPNs, only CC 80, 81 or 82.

Yes, sorry, it was late and I replied without thinking. What I meant to say is that the MIDI software tools I mentioned should allow you to create separate rules to split the "multiplexed" CC ranges to separate CCs with new value ranges. I'm just not sure if both Bome and MIDI-OX will handle the separate issue of NRPNs for the switches. Bome MIDI Translator is a more feature-rich tool and might be better. I've mostly used the free MIDI-OX. But I actually do most of my MIDI mapping using a couple MIDI Solutions hardware boxes: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

The nice thing I have found with using solutions like this (whether hardware or software) is that I am then good-to-go no matter what new instrument (virtual or real) I want to trigger with some older or quirky gear. I'm not relying on developers to make sure to support whatever I'm using as a controller.

#2937619 - 07/12/18 01:47 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: funkyhammond]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia

Yes, sorry, it was late and I replied without thinking. What I meant to say is that the MIDI software tools I mentioned should allow you to create separate rules to split the "multiplexed" CC ranges to separate CCs with new value ranges.

No worries and understood.

I'm just not sure if both Bome and MIDI-OX will handle the separate issue of NRPNs for the switches. Bome MIDI Translator is a more feature-rich tool and might be better. I've mostly used the free MIDI-OX. But I actually do most of my MIDI mapping using a couple MIDI Solutions hardware boxes: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

The nice thing I have found with using solutions like this (whether hardware or software) is that I am then good-to-go no matter what new instrument (virtual or real) I want to trigger with some older or quirky gear. I'm not relying on developers to make sure to support whatever I'm using as a controller.

I've never used Midi Translator and only use Midi-Ox for troubleshooting. I wasn't aware that it allows this type translation but just briefly glanced at the Data Mapping function now - pretty cool! But I prefer to work inside Reaper and neither program appears to be VST. I do however share your sentiment regarding independent solutions to these type problems.

If I was really ambitious (or bored) I could probably learn to modify one of the extensions in Reaper (they're all editable/ re-savable code written in C++). I was starting to do just this to modify a couple of mapped switch functions in B5 and then got into something else. But I'd much prefer to work within Reaper than use a second program or worse a hardware gadget - especially since B5 already provides the translation. I run through real Leslies and therefore suspect the differences between B5 and VB3-II are pretty small. But for the small price I'd still upgrade if it had the translation.

#2938554 - 07/19/18 11:51 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
VB3-II v1.0.1 is now available - here is the change log:

July 19, 2018 - Version 1.0.1

- Added global setting "Lower Octave Up if Split" to shift lower manual by one octave when the split function is active
- The MIDI CC assigned to the Rotary Speed lever now accepts values <32 for Slow, >95 for Fast and in the middle for Stop
- Added functions to the FILES Menu for resetting the whole Bank or restoring the factory Bank
- Responds to MIDI "All Notes Off" message (CC #123, value 0)
- Changed mouse response to the Program label: left-click for opening the Program list, right click for editing the Program name
- Fixed problem with upper manual responding on both channels 1 and 2 when swapping upper and lower channels
- Fixed problem with editing windows not appearing on the foreground in some hosts under OSX
- Fixed problem with the Program list not being downloaded correctly by some hosts

Edited by davinwv (07/19/18 11:51 AM)

#2939253 - 07/24/18 02:05 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: davinwv]
yamarolorg Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Ok, so after a couple of weeks of eq'ing,tweaking and fiddling about, I pulled the trigger and bought the software. The only thing I find a little weak to my ears is the "drive". I primarily play jazz organ so this thing works quite well for me.

#2939301 - 07/24/18 08:19 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau

Yes, sorry, it was late and I replied without thinking. What I meant to say is that the MIDI software tools I mentioned should allow you to create separate rules to split the "multiplexed" CC ranges to separate CCs with new value ranges.

No worries and understood.

I'm just not sure if both Bome and MIDI-OX will handle the separate issue of NRPNs for the switches. Bome MIDI Translator is a more feature-rich tool and might be better. I've mostly used the free MIDI-OX. But I actually do most of my MIDI mapping using a couple MIDI Solutions hardware boxes: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

I've never used Midi Translator and only use Midi-Ox for troubleshooting. I wasn't aware that it allows this type translation but just briefly glanced at the Data Mapping function now - pretty cool! But I prefer to work inside Reaper and neither program appears to be VST. I do however share your sentiment regarding independent solutions to these type problems.

If I was really ambitious (or bored) I could probably learn to modify one of the extensions in Reaper (they're all editable/ re-savable code written in C++). I was starting to do just this to modify a couple of mapped switch functions in B5 and then got into something else. But I'd much prefer to work within Reaper than use a second program or worse a hardware gadget - especially since B5 already provides the translation. I run through real Leslies and therefore suspect the differences between B5 and VB3-II are pretty small. But for the small price I'd still upgrade if it had the translation.

Youd really like the Bome Box loaded with MIDI Translator projects.
Even has WiFi/Wireless data streams.
MIDI Solutions are great too.
But no presets, youd have to reprogram functions via the software.
Funny how MIDI still rules after 30+ years.

#2939315 - 07/25/18 01:03 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: hardware]
EricBarker Offline

So I spent the better part of last Saturday playing with the VB3-II demo, and I hate to say it, but after years of waiting Im not blown away. Even though Guidos organ modeling is top-notch and the Leslie is fantastic, the overdrive and cabinets have always been a weak point with VB3, and version 2 does little to make me a believer.

VB3s overdrive just gets too piercing and buzzy in higher gain. Above 50% it just sounds thin, and below 40% it doesnt really offer that nice grinding purring (I think of it as a Geiger counter) that I really look for in a good overdrive/rotary sound. It almost sounds like a DId overdrive, without the help of the acoustic box to soften the edges. The main reason I always chose B4 over VB3 was NI offered multiple cabinet models. I don't think there's a "perfect cabinet" for everyone. It's good to be able to select something that fits your sound/style. If I were shopping for a hardware Leslie, I'd like try out a few different years and see which one felt best to me. VB3s doesn't grab me. B5's even less. B4 has some that feel good, and Melda's blow me away.

I'm sticking with B4-II for live use (32Lives through MainStage), and have been hoping for a 64bit AU to blow it away. For studio I use B5 through Melda Vintage Rotary. B5 plays like a dream, but its Leslie sounds very dead to my ears, and Melda is fantastic. This is the holy grail, but it's not a great solution for live.

So *sigh*, still no perfect organ/leslie combo across the board. Ill keep waiting.

PS: Does the Mojo use the same exact DSP as VB3-2? Im considering getting a clone wheel for the purpose of having a dedicated organ since about half time gigging these days are on B3. But if VB3-2 didnt impress me, Im having second thoughts. Maybe Id prefer the Viscount Solo? Unfortunately Im in Honolulu, so no place to try any of these out.

MacBook Pro running MainStage and various plugins (NI and other)
Arturia Keylab88, Crumar Mojo61, Seaboard Rise49, Vortex Keytar, Trumpet

#2939317 - 07/25/18 01:18 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markay]
EricBarker Offline

Originally Posted By: Markay
I have L'otary and Melda MVintage. Both are good but in a live setting the difference between them and the B-5 rotary and overdrive is not worth the complication of running two AU's, L'otary in particular is a CPU hog, and mapping the mod wheel, overdrive etc. to a second AU.

The fizzy transistor like overdrive in VB3 1.4 was the one things I disliked. I was hoping that II might have got closer to the valve like warmth which the B-5 rotary sim offers.

You just outlined pretty much all my thoughts. I actually did get B5/Melda running in MainStage, and I use it for one side band. It took some doing, I had to remap a number of controllers and use an external Aux channel for the Leslie, but it's a good solution. Unfortunately, I tried inserting into the project I use for my main working band (about 250+ patches), and it did not play nicely. Just had some weird conflicts, and a few times the whole thing threatened to crash, so I just switched back to B4.

I'm just not a fan of the B5 rotary itself. I just can't get a nice thick grinding rock rotor. By comparison, VB3 does get really high gain, but it's hissy, not grinding. But B5s dry organ sound is simply gorgeous, and the UI is fantastic to boot. Lol, as usual, Melda's interface looks like it was designed by a 4-year-old, but man does it sound good. Wish those two would just get busy and make beautiful tonewheel babies together!

#2939319 - 07/25/18 01:40 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: EricBarker]
vanderSchoot Offline
Gold Member

Loc: The Netherlands
Could people please be more specific about B5 or B5 V2 (even V2.02)
Because the leslie sim on V2 is much better than the original B5 and so is the total package.
To me nothing beats B5 V2.02 for authentic organ sounds.
The new IK Multimedia AmpliTube and T-rackS leslie sim's have raised the bar.
I personally don't have it yet , but some trustworthy experts (Jim Alfredson) have claimed exactly that . ( about IK leslie sim)

Edited by vanderSchoot (07/25/18 01:42 AM)

#2939321 - 07/25/18 02:15 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: vanderSchoot]
EricBarker Offline

Sorry, I'm using B5v2. Yes, the v2 Leslie sim is a huge improvement over V1, as they were actually made by Acoustic Samples, v1s were just UVIs built-in effects. But it still doesn't sound the way I want it, particularly at high gain. I often go for a very "grinding" overdriven Leslie sound, and B5v2 just can't get it. I've spent hours going through all the cab models and settings, but it doesn't click the way B4-II and Melda do.

I'll be interested in checking out the new IK sims. The old ones sounded great, but had no amp and the speed accell/decel were the slowest I've EVER HEARD, hardware or software, which kind of killed it for me. I didn't realize IK had new ones coming.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner