Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#2937280 - 07/11/18 06:44 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Al Quinn]
Bobby Simons Online   content

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Just listened to the L'otary demo, that sounds very good!

KC Island
#2937302 - 07/11/18 07:54 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I heard about L'otary from Steve Nathan who had some involvement with it's development. There's more detail in Steve's L'otary tread if you're interested:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2872616/1

#2937308 - 07/11/18 08:17 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
Markay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
I have L'otary and Melda MVintage. Both are good but in a live setting the difference between them and the B-5 rotary and overdrive is not worth the complication of running two AU's, L'otary in particular is a CPU hog, and mapping the mod wheel, overdrive etc. to a second AU.

The fizzy transistor like overdrive in VB3 1.4 was the one things I disliked. I was hoping that II might have got closer to the valve like warmth which the B-5 rotary sim offers.

#2937346 - 07/11/18 10:13 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markay]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I had always liked the tone of VB3, but was dismayed when Guido discontinued support for Mac. I went with Blue3 when it came out, and I did notice personally that I was pulling back on the distortion and organ sound artifacts quite a bit on the presets. However, I was able to do that early Yes Tony Kaye organ tone quite well with Blue3. I am going to look forward to having a lot of fun combining VB3 II and Blue3. Now to dust off Lotary...

#2937463 - 07/11/18 10:36 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
funkyhammond Offline

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
I helped Arnie (AcousticSamples B5 developer) out a bit with all this last year but I don't remember the specifics.

Ah, so that's why the B5 maps perfectly. smile

Right, so I was looking at the second table and didn't pay attention to the first table that shows that the CCs are receive only. Out of curiosity, what is the "drawbar limitation" that you are referring to that still wouldn't be solved mapping the NRPNs to CCs?

#2937486 - 07/12/18 04:09 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: funkyhammond]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: funkyhammond
Out of curiosity, what is the "drawbar limitation" that you are referring to that still wouldn't be solved mapping the NRPNs to CCs?

Unless I'm misunderstanding something the drawbars don't send NRPNs, only CC 80, 81 or 82.

#2937565 - 07/12/18 10:20 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
funkyhammond Offline

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
Unless I'm misunderstanding something the drawbars don't send NRPNs, only CC 80, 81 or 82.

Yes, sorry, it was late and I replied without thinking. What I meant to say is that the MIDI software tools I mentioned should allow you to create separate rules to split the "multiplexed" CC ranges to separate CCs with new value ranges. I'm just not sure if both Bome and MIDI-OX will handle the separate issue of NRPNs for the switches. Bome MIDI Translator is a more feature-rich tool and might be better. I've mostly used the free MIDI-OX. But I actually do most of my MIDI mapping using a couple MIDI Solutions hardware boxes: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

The nice thing I have found with using solutions like this (whether hardware or software) is that I am then good-to-go no matter what new instrument (virtual or real) I want to trigger with some older or quirky gear. I'm not relying on developers to make sure to support whatever I'm using as a controller.

#2937619 - 07/12/18 01:47 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: funkyhammond]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia

Yes, sorry, it was late and I replied without thinking. What I meant to say is that the MIDI software tools I mentioned should allow you to create separate rules to split the "multiplexed" CC ranges to separate CCs with new value ranges.

No worries and understood.

I'm just not sure if both Bome and MIDI-OX will handle the separate issue of NRPNs for the switches. Bome MIDI Translator is a more feature-rich tool and might be better. I've mostly used the free MIDI-OX. But I actually do most of my MIDI mapping using a couple MIDI Solutions hardware boxes: http://www.midisolutions.com/prodepp.htm

The nice thing I have found with using solutions like this (whether hardware or software) is that I am then good-to-go no matter what new instrument (virtual or real) I want to trigger with some older or quirky gear. I'm not relying on developers to make sure to support whatever I'm using as a controller.

I've never used Midi Translator and only use Midi-Ox for troubleshooting. I wasn't aware that it allows this type translation but just briefly glanced at the Data Mapping function now - pretty cool! But I prefer to work inside Reaper and neither program appears to be VST. I do however share your sentiment regarding independent solutions to these type problems.

If I was really ambitious (or bored) I could probably learn to modify one of the extensions in Reaper (they're all editable/ re-savable code written in C++). I was starting to do just this to modify a couple of mapped switch functions in B5 and then got into something else. But I'd much prefer to work within Reaper than use a second program or worse a hardware gadget - especially since B5 already provides the translation. I run through real Leslies and therefore suspect the differences between B5 and VB3-II are pretty small. But for the small price I'd still upgrade if it had the translation.

#2938554 - 07/19/18 11:51 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
davinwv Online   content
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.
VB3-II v1.0.1 is now available - here is the change log:

July 19, 2018 - Version 1.0.1

- Added global setting "Lower Octave Up if Split" to shift lower manual by one octave when the split function is active
- The MIDI CC assigned to the Rotary Speed lever now accepts values <32 for Slow, >95 for Fast and in the middle for Stop
- Added functions to the FILES Menu for resetting the whole Bank or restoring the factory Bank
- Responds to MIDI "All Notes Off" message (CC #123, value 0)
- Changed mouse response to the Program label: left-click for opening the Program list, right click for editing the Program name
- Fixed problem with upper manual responding on both channels 1 and 2 when swapping upper and lower channels
- Fixed problem with editing windows not appearing on the foreground in some hosts under OSX
- Fixed problem with the Program list not being downloaded correctly by some hosts

Edited by davinwv (07/19/18 11:51 AM)

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner