Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2934925 - 06/27/18 10:57 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Josh Paxton]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: Josh Paxton
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
Hopefully any updates to Mojo VB3 will come to VB3-II and vice versa. I would imagine it would be "easy" for Guido to keep the same code engine for all the versions.

Totally, because everything about software is as easy as it should be, right Guido? wink
roll

(I did put "easy" in quotes for a reason. wink )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

KC Island
#2935489 - 07/01/18 05:43 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Joe Muscara]
Bobby Simons Offline

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
VB3 II now available.

#2935510 - 07/01/18 08:31 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
Markay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Link to VB3 II HERE

Manual also available on the page.

BTW it would read better if Guido had someone sub edit the text before publication.

#2935517 - 07/01/18 08:45 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markay]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
That's $117.04 for us Yanks.
$87.78 if you have a license already.
Fair enough.

#2935523 - 07/01/18 09:06 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
WheelHead Offline

Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
VB3 II now available.

Nice! It even means I can extend the life even more, if needed, of the original Hamichord (4 sets of drawbars and interface similar to B3 for those that do not know) I still have (first one shipped to American continent from original company BJ's) vintage 2007-2008 that ran originally the B4 and STILL in it too!!

Of course, right now it is not necessary. Its been updated since 2008. I can sometime, if I want, rebuild the Hamichord with a faster board and use the new software release license (after purchase). I could run the Hamichord as a controller (has that feature and has the 11-pin just added to the Mojo) and use a Surface Pro 4 (sorry iPad owners (lots here) as you struggle to run 'lite' pianos on the big iPhone). Using a Surface Pro 4 (i7 ridiculously fast, and thin-512GB SSD), I can use the USB to run my own high-end USB sound device (currently Focusrite, in the USB3 port). As long as the PCB boards are good (not speaking of the Windows Embedded) the Hamichord is a no-brainer and good to go indefinitely JUST like the original advertising said more than 10 years ago. Midi PCBs fail someday, then it needs some work but doable.

WH

#2935638 - 07/01/18 08:23 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
VB3 II now available.

Been playing with the demo. Nice!! Seamlessly working in Mainstage and GigPerformer as a 64bit AU.

Will be buying shortly.

More reports later I will be doing A-B testing with VB3II Leslie sim, and the awesome T-Racks5 Leslie

#2935665 - 07/01/18 10:54 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: EscapeRocks]
yamarolorg Offline

Loc: BC, Canada
Checking it our right now. First impressions are that the Leslie is more advanced and natural feeling; tonally, I'm not yet convinced it will sit in a mix as well as the original 1.4 version. So far, it reminds me a tad of the UVI B5 organ in that it sounds great on its own but does come through great in a mix. Again, this is just for me personally and YMMV.

#2935669 - 07/01/18 11:28 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: yamarolorg]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Also just checking it out right now- I have two keyboards set up as the upper and lower manuals, respectively. I have noticed with VB3 II that percussion is activated on both manuals, and if you hold a chord on either manual the percussion doesn't respond- i.e. holding a chord on the lower manual robs percussion from the upper manual. In comparison, Blue3 seems to be working as it should. A VB3 II bug perhaps?

#2935675 - 07/02/18 12:15 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
TomKittel Offline
Gold Member

VB3 II now available.

The pricing model seems to be simple: VB3-II is two times VB3-I plus tax.

The upgrade price for VB3-I owners is hefty imho. I am not sure if the upgrade is twice as good as VB3-I which was 49 bucks... checking it out right now. The new GUI is nice and more user-friendly for sure. And so far I can say that VB3-II through MVintage Rotary sounds awesome. But this was already true for VB3-I. The internal VB3-II rotary sim still doesn't match up to MVintage rotary.

#2935676 - 07/02/18 02:04 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Marzzz]
sosho Offline

Loc: germany
Originally Posted By: Marzzz
Also just checking it out right now- I have two keyboards set up as the upper and lower manuals, respectively. I have noticed with VB3 II that percussion is activated on both manuals, and if you hold a chord on either manual the percussion doesn't respond- i.e. holding a chord on the lower manual robs percussion from the upper manual. In comparison, Blue3 seems to be working as it should. A VB3 II bug perhaps?
are you sure you set it up correctly with the MIDI channels ? Sounds like both your keyboards are directed to the upper manual. I did not try the vst but I have a gemini ( hardware ) module

#2935692 - 07/02/18 05:19 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Marzzz]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area

Please share your findings with the developer. He'll look to replicate behavior and decide if it's a bug. If so, he'll fix.

#2935696 - 07/02/18 06:26 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: sosho]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: sosho
are you sure you set it up correctly with the MIDI channels ? Sounds like both your keyboards are directed to the upper manual.

was my first thought, Marzzz. Make sure your bottom keyboard is set to receive on MIDI Channel 2 only.
MojoGuyPan (RIP)

#2935701 - 07/02/18 06:53 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: davedoerfler]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

I have the channels reversed because my lower keyboard is my "main" controller- so the lower controller transmits on MIDI channel 1, and the upper controller transmits on MIDI channel 2. I also changed the settings in VB3 to correspond. I can confirm that when I play the upper controller, it plays the upper manual on VB3, and the lower controller plays the corresponding manual on VB3.

What I hear is percussion on BOTH manuals, and holding any notes on either manual robs the percussion, which would be the normal behavior on a normally working organ (or software emulation) on the upper manual only.

Finally, I also have Blue3, and this setup works completely normally in that software- percussion on upper manual only.

So, I think this may be a bug. I am going to reassign the controllers to a more conventional setup (upper controller MIDI channel 1, lower MIDI channel 2) and see if it makes a difference.

#2935703 - 07/02/18 07:00 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: TomKittel]
johnchop Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Georgia, US
Originally Posted By: TomKittel

The upgrade price for VB3-I owners is hefty imho. I am not sure if the upgrade is twice as good as VB3-I which was 49 bucks... checking it out right now. The new GUI is nice and more user-friendly for sure.

Putting version I and II side by side, I'm nowhere near enough of an organ player to appreciate or hear major differences in stock presets. I do appreciate the work that's gone into the UI overhaul and the tweak pages, but these are secondary concerns for me. For nearly the same scratch, I can pick up Blue3 for a more aggressive sound.

-John

#2935707 - 07/02/18 07:10 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: johnchop]
Bobby Simons Offline

Although it as been my organ of choice since it's arrival, the main weaknesses in VB3 1 (to my ears) were the rotary sim and the overdrive. Neither were horrible by any means; both had room for improvement.
I look forward to reading comments from those who take the plunge.

#2935798 - 07/02/18 12:47 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Marzzz]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

What I hear is percussion on BOTH manuals

I think this may be a bug.
Guido confirmed it is a bug and will fix it on the next update. Thanks, Guido!

#2935866 - 07/02/18 07:53 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Marzzz]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
Just upgraded.
Running demo while patiently awaiting the activation codes.
VB3 was my go-to Hammond emulation until Mac went 64 bit.
Been using the Logic Vintage B3 ever since.
But I do like the tone of the new VB3 II so, boom, got it.
Will report back once I put it thru its paces; but initailly I can say it sounds pretty nice.
A little different than the Apple Vintage B3.
What a great world! To be able to have all of these choices!!!
OK, back to practicing..... wink

#2935909 - 07/03/18 08:16 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: analogman1]
analogman1 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: UNITED STATES
In a word...pretty incredible!

Just scratching the surface but new distortion/overdrive is great.

Trying to figure out how to organize the presets...a little "clunky"...
but overall this will be a fun addition to my arsenal!

I'm also going to try to configure my Electro 5D as a controller for it.

Though I love the organ sound of my Electro for most gigs, when the extra grind and distortion is needed, I will press VB3 II into action.

#2936162 - 07/04/18 04:06 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: analogman1]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Downloaded it a few days ago and put it through the paces just now. I won't be buying it, but I think it's a good choice for someone who doesn't have a hardware clonewheel, as it's probably the closest yet in timbre overall.

Where it falls down, in my mind, is in the signal processing, as well as the interaction of the tonewheels, which doesn't seem authentic to me (i.e. complex enough to match a real Hammond). In a dense mix, it wouldn't be noticed though.

The drive gets really dark and grungy fairly quickly. I don't find the reverb usable either as it muddies up the image. Vibrato sounds too static to me, but the chorus is pretty well done.

The percussion is the biggest weakness to these ears though -- no matter how much I tweaked it, I couldn't dial it in to anything that sounded Hammond-like to me, even accounting for differences between models and individual units.

As I said though, the timbre itself is quite nice, and I like that aspect of it better than Blue or B-5 (or even NI's canceled B4). It's a bit more warm and open even than the XK-1, but of course not the new XK-5 (which is king).

The rotary is decent enough, but I didn't thoroughly go through its settings as I'm happy enough with downstream rotary effects in my possession.

Good interface overall, and light on the CPU as well. This is a big step up from the previous edition and is priced well at roughly $100. If I had a need, I'd buy it, but I would only do so if it was BETTER than hardware organs currently on the market. I'm too much into the tactile feel of an actual organ keybed to give that up.

#2936293 - 07/05/18 10:03 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Mark Schmieder]
Bobby Simons Offline

I will probably get it because I like to keep my apps updated. To be honest, I was not initially blown away by the improvements when I played with the demo version last night, I need to spend some more time with it.

Nevertheless, I have always felt that VB3.1 was one of the best bargains to come my way, and I'm happy to pay into a job well done.

#2936455 - 07/06/18 08:30 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I bought VB3 II last night and played it for a while this morning. I think it sounds great! It's my favorite software B3. Hammond was the weak link in my laptop rig so I'm really happy with this upgrade.

Great job, Guido! Thank you smile

#2936458 - 07/06/18 08:39 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Al Quinn]
davinwv Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Bridgeport, WV, U.S.

#2936476 - 07/06/18 10:05 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: davinwv]
Bobby Simons Offline

Originally Posted By: davinwv
Guido has posted a couple of Youtube demos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY02tEXXpj4&t=0s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUkB9Mtg-Ww&t=0s

Too much of that overdrive does not do a patch any favors. Everything else sounds pretty good.

#2936484 - 07/06/18 10:34 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Bobby Simons]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
In case Guido was/is considering this I wish VB3-II mapped to the XK-3C as a controller. Each XK-3C drawbar in a set (Upper/Lower/Pedal) is assigned the same CC# but only transmits a small unique range of values to distinguish one from the other. VB3-II appeared to handle this by allowing a min and max value for each drawbar ...but not quite.

The bigger issue is that almost all the other XK-3C buttons/switches use NRPNs which are not recognized in VB3-II cry.

unlike B5 which maps perfectly poke

#2937222 - 07/10/18 06:38 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
funkyhammond Offline

Originally Posted By: Markyboard
In case Guido was/is considering this I wish VB3-II mapped to the XK-3C as a controller. Each XK-3C drawbar in a set (Upper/Lower/Pedal) is assigned the same CC# but only transmits a small unique range of values to distinguish one from the other. VB3-II appeared to handle this by allowing a min and max value for each drawbar ...but not quite.

The bigger issue is that almost all the other XK-3C buttons/switches use NRPNs which are not recognized in VB3-II cry.

I don't own an XK-3C, but the MIDI implementation section in the manual suggests that there are also separate CC#'s (12-20, 21-29, 33/35) for upper, lower, and pedals, as well as the grouped CC#'s. So if the XK-3C is transmitting on two different CC's for each drawbar movement, that might confuse the VB3 'learn' mode and you might have to set the CC#'s manually. As for the buttons/switches, I found the MIDI implementation a bit unclear. If you're on Windows, I'd download the free tool MIDI-OX to monitor the MIDI messages and double check that the switches are not also trasmitting CC's. If you're stuck with NRPN's, I believe you should be able to use MIDI-OX + MIDI Yoke or Bome MIDI Translator Classic to map them to CC's. I haven't tried mapping NRPNs with those apps so I'm not 100% sure.

#2937224 - 07/10/18 07:18 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: ZefrKeys]
Steve Nathan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Nashville, TN
Quote:
Too much of that overdrive does not do a patch any favors.

Maybe, but just the right amount is remarkably accurate in getting the sound of hitting tubes hard. I'm finding the GUI a little clumsy, but the sound is impressive. I've always found these VIs and even the earlier available clonewheels were ok for getting what I'd call that "Jazz organ" sound, but not up to snuff for blues, R&B or rock. B5 was the first to hold my ear. VB3 is at that level imho.

www.stevenathanmusic.com
https://www.musiciansforpensionsecurity.com/

#2937233 - 07/10/18 09:49 PM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Steve Nathan]
tfort Offline

GG Audio put out a message today on Facebook and Twitter that they’re hard at work finishing up V2 of Blue3.

Got to love competition...

#2937251 - 07/11/18 03:19 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: funkyhammond]
Markyboard Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Springfield, Virginia
Originally Posted By: funkyhammond

I don't own an XK-3C, but the MIDI implementation section in the manual suggests that there are also separate CC#'s (12-20, 21-29, 33/35) for upper, lower, and pedals, as well as the grouped CC#'s. So if the XK-3C is transmitting on two different CC's for each drawbar movement, that might confuse the VB3 'learn' mode and you might have to set the CC#'s manually. As for the buttons/switches, I found the MIDI implementation a bit unclear. If you're on Windows, I'd download the free tool MIDI-OX to monitor the MIDI messages and double check that the switches are not also trasmitting CC's. If you're stuck with NRPN's, I believe you should be able to use MIDI-OX + MIDI Yoke or Bome MIDI Translator Classic to map them to CC's. I haven't tried mapping NRPNs with those apps so I'm not 100% sure.

Thanks - those drawbar CCs are receive only. You have to use the "multiplexed" CCs (80,81,82) for transmit iirc. Reaper also has some extensions (mini-VSTs?) that allow converting NRPNs to CCs. But you need a bunch of them which can only be done by stacking up multiple VSTs - not very elegant and doesn't address the drawbar limitation. Also converting the Chorus/Vibe knob is another tricky one. I helped Arnie (AcousticSamples B5 developer) out a bit with all this last year but I don't remember the specifics.

I realize the demand for making the XK-3C fully compatible with VB3-II is extremely low so I'm not surprised it's not implemented. Just didn't want Guido and company to think there was zero interest if they were considering it. Thanks for your reply funkyhammond.

#2937256 - 07/11/18 03:56 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markyboard]
Markay Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
The Hammond implementation of drawbar midi is designed to suit their purposes and frees up CC for other functions.

In addition to B-5 which now supports the XK series with a custom mapped template Apple has provided a custom XK/SK template for their Vintage B3 for some years.

I doubt that GSI considers HS to be niche player in the clonewheel world not worthy of a custom template. On OSX GSI is re-entering the market, competing with the free, for users of MainStage and Logic Vintage B3 AU, and B-5, a similar sounding quality AU with the same price is going to be harder on OSX a without providing matching controller templates.

#2937266 - 07/11/18 05:07 AM Re: GSi - something is going to happen [Re: Markay]
Al Quinn Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Center Moriches, NY
I have Vintage B3, Blue 3, B5, and now VB3II. To my ears the sound engine of VB3II (including CV) is the best of the bunch. Previous to VB3II, B5 had fared best on gigs.

I don't love VB3II's overdrive or Leslie sim, although they're certainly very good / useable. I use a Vent 2 and Tall & Fat with my Mojo to improve the sound. For VB3II I'm using L'otory as a Leslie sim improvement. Still need to figure how to improve the overdrive via software but I only use a touch of overdrive so it's not a pressing issue. The VB3II / L'otary combo is the first virtual Hammond that I love playing!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner