Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Recommendations for personal mixer for two keyboard rig

Could you guys and girls suggest a personal mixer for my rig which is a Mojo clone and Korg Piano? I would like to run stereo via 1/4 cables to the mixer then from the mixer to DI and then out to FOH and my personal monitor a stereo Motionsound amplifier. thanks.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Radial Key Largo.

Great sound, independent control of FOH and monitor feed, built in DI with individual ground lift for each out. Solid, pro level piece of kit that sounds great.

If you want to go rack mount, Ashly 308B

And there are plenty of bargain alternatives in the small-format prosumer mixer market like the Yamaha MG series or the Alesis Multimix 8 (for rack use). But in many cases your sound will be compromised and you won't even know it until you have the chance to A/B it against a piece of pro kit like the Key Largo or the Ashly 308B.

There are higher end options as well that are priced well beyond Radial / Ashly territory - Dave Ferris uses an option like that. I forget the exact make and model.

So it all depends on your budget - and what sonic quality is acceptable to you.

Right now, I gig a Radial Key Largo.

Thanks Tim, I was wondering with the two keyboard rig you obviously run 2 lefts and two right Imputs, but how would you run your outputs to a stereo amp monitor and to FOH?

On the Key Largo, each keyboard has two 1/4" inputs, one for L and one for R.

So Keyboard 1 L&R = two 1/4" inputs into Channel 1

Keyboard 2 L&R = two 1/4" inputs into Channel 2

On the output side,

Monitor send has two 1/4" outputs L&R, and Main (FOH) has two XLR outs L&R.

Monitor L&R to my monitor speaker (or stereo IEM feed)

Main (FOH) L&R XLRs to feed FOH snake (or wherever else he wants me to plug the outputs).

Hope that helps.

I guess my question regarding the monitor would be that normally I would run the piano into one channel and the Organ into the second channel. It looks like the outputs whether the quarter inch Or XLR are going to be one left and one right so I would assume both keyboards be monitored out of one channel. Also if youre running stereo, but the house will only do mono can you still set the keyboards up in stereo into your monitor and let them just take mono output from the single XLR?

I would need to know budget and form factor.

Personally I like to rack everything possible and route all the I/o through a front mounted patch panel. In my case I plug my keys in the input jacks I created on the front which pass into the mixer. the mixer is prewired to the DI inside the rack. The DI outputs pass to the output jacks on the front. Also to outputs for powered speakers .... IEMs ... everything stays wired.

Other people want something like a Key Largo that stay in hand reach on top my board. My rack is in hands reach but I rarely have to because my patches are balanced somewhat.

qBbAVyk.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I did many gigs with my little Soundcraft Notepad. It had pre-fader sends, which at the time was important since it was both a submixer and a monitor mixer. I've since simplified things and just get my keys back in my monitor feed, and only use one keyboard. I think if I started gigging with two boards again I would seriously consider the Key Largo.

I guess my question regarding the monitor would be that normally I would run the piano into one channel and the Organ into the second channel. It looks like the outputs whether the quarter inch Or XLR are going to be one left and one right so I would assume both keyboards be monitored out of one channel.

This is confusing to me. You get piano left and organ left mixed to monitor output left and main output left, piano right and organ right mixed to monitor output right and main output right. This is how mixers work. Is that what you meant?

Moe

---

Could you guys and girls suggest a personal mixer for my rig which is a Mojo clone and Korg Piano? I would like to run stereo via 1/4 cables to the mixer then from the mixer to DI and then out to FOH and my personal monitor a stereo Motionsound amplifier. thanks.

which Motionsound Stereo amp are you using?

:nopity:

Key Largo will do what you want, and very cleanly. Even if you run your boards mono, the KL will split them for L and R outputs.

Be prepared, I was running a M@(&!e mixer and never realized how colored it made my keys until I used the Key Largo......totally pure sound.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Using Kpsn 500

The Motion Sound KP-500SN? Why don't you run your keyboards into its onboard mixer, then use the XLRs out to FOH?

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Using Kpsn 500

The Motion Sound KP-500SN? Why don't you run your keyboards into its onboard mixer, then use the XLRs out to FOH?

I use that amp with my Crumar Mojo. I also use a small Mackie mixer that has a 5 band EQ. I find that the mixer seems to boost the signal from the Mojo, which seems to improve the sound of the instrument, and that having the mixer on a stand next to me makes it easier to tweak EQ settings without having to keep getting up and walking over to the amp to tweak its EQ controls. I usually just flatten out the EQ settings on the amp and then use the mixer's EQ. Works for me. (The Mojo's on-board EQ controls, for just bass and treble, don't usually suffice to get the sound I want. Particularly the treble control -- it's really subtle.)

Nobody would recommend the Behringer XR12? Less than $250, lots of digital effects.

He only needs 2 stereo line inputs, mentioned no need for effects, and would need a phone or tablet to change levels on the xr12. Complete mismatch for what the OP requested.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Perhaps, but its significantly cheaper than the Key Largo with a lot of functionality for the money. I can appreciate someone wanting hands-on controls rather than using a phone or tablet, but Im surprised no ones mentioned it.

Yamaha MG06 Mixer might work for you. It has Stereo outs to your monitor and XLR outs to the FOH so that the DI is not necessary. $99.

click here

I have an MG06x. I like it a lot.

I wouldnt say a DI is not necessary though. In some cases you might want the isolation transformer or ground lift to get rid of nasty hum!

Rudy

A DI is not necessary until it is necessary. Then it can be very necessary. :D

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Radial Key Largo.

Great sound, independent control of FOH and monitor feed, built in DI with individual ground lift for each out. Solid, pro level piece of kit that sounds great.

If you want to go rack mount, Ashly 308B

And there are plenty of bargain alternatives in the small-format prosumer mixer market like the Yamaha MG series or the Alesis Multimix 8 (for rack use). But in many cases your sound will be compromised and you won't even know it until you have the chance to A/B it against a piece of pro kit like the Key Largo or the Ashly 308B.

There are higher end options as well that are priced well beyond Radial / Ashly territory - Dave Ferris uses an option like that. I forget the exact make and model.

So it all depends on your budget - and what sonic quality is acceptable to you.

Right now, I gig a Radial Key Largo.

I had not seen the Key Large. That looks really interesting. I have three of the Ashley's. They are great, and almost always available used on Ebay. That is where I got mine. It is easy to find one that has been rack mounted in some hotel ballroom and never moved.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

A DI is not necessary until it is necessary. Then it can be very necessary. :D

Haha indeed!

Xlr outputs on the mixer might reduce the chances of necissity if a DI,, but certainly not to zero!

Rudy

• 2 years later...
I'm looking for a mixer/preamp comparable in quality, overall configuration and price to the APB ProSpec 2U6M2S. APB has been sold to a Chinese firm and, after a hiatus, production has now resumed, but in China, not NJ as before. There is a service center in Canada, but not yet here in the US. The new product has not yet made it onto retail shelves, and I'm casting about for an alternative. The 2U6M2S is a rackmount unit, with 6 mono mic/line channels with preamps, 2 stereo line channels with selectable inputs, and EQ and High Pass Filters on each channel. I currently am using an A&H ZED10 mixer with a Radial Duplex DI box, and the ProSpec apparently blows them out of the water, at about 6 times the cost of the ZED (unclear at this point, but probably around $1,500-$2,000 for the new ProSpec). Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have had an Ashly LX308-B since 2006, as I like rackmount gear. One of the most solid and clean pieces of gear I have used. Has sub outs for FOH, and is very flexible. 8 stereo channels.

-dj

iMac i7 13.5.2

Studio One 5.5.2

Nord Stage 3

Nord Wave 2

Nektar T4

Drawmer DL 241

Focusrite ISA Two

Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre