Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-300s missing notes. Not a key contact problem!

I have a Roland RD-300s. Five keys don't work. The key contacts are not the problem. I have swapped the rubber contact strips but the symptom does not change. The key numbers/notes are: 5/C#, 13/A, 21/F, 29/C#, 37/A. Notice the repetition. It turns out the dead notes are every eight half steps.

Octave Notes

1 5/C#

2 13/A, 21/F

3 29/C#

4 37A

Looking at the shop manual diagram (SK-688) it looks like the actual piano sound waves must be going through the key switches. I see nothing telling the processor what octave is being hit. So the keyboard SK-688s must be physically combining all the octaves sounds??? I am confused. Help!

Anyway, do you have any ideas what to look at?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Roland RD-300s. Five keys don't work. The key contacts are not the problem. I have swapped the rubber contact strips but the symptom does not change. The key numbers/notes are: 5/C#, 13/A, 21/F, 29/C#, 37/A. Notice the repetition. It turns out the dead notes are every eight half steps.

Octave Notes

1 5/C#

2 13/A, 21/F

3 29/C#

4 37A

If 45/F and 53/C# are OK, then a break in a foil on the MID key contact board is possible. If those two keys don't play (in a addition to the five you listed), then a bad connection from the MID to the HI contact board could be the cause.

Looking at the shop manual diagram (SK-688) it looks like the actual piano sound waves must be going through the key switches. I see nothing telling the processor what octave is being hit. So the keyboard SK-688s must be physically combining all the octaves sounds??? I am confused. Help!

Anyway, do you have any ideas what to look at?

Google "key matrix".

See bottom of page 11...

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Roland/RD-300S_SERVICE_NOTES.pdf

Yamaha: Motif XF6 and XS6, A3000V2, A4000, YS200 | Korg: T3EX, 05R/W | Fender Chroma Polaris | Roland U-220 | Etc.

• 1 year later...
My RD-300 seems to be having the same problem - it's not the individual key depressed sensors but there seems to be no audio signal for a few of the keys - about 6 in a row. Did you manage to resolve this issue? How? What was the fix? Thanks