Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2932642 - 06/13/18 05:40 PM Vax77 ERROR-Restoring Factory defaults
robbb Offline

Loc: Boston
Hi all,
At a recent rehearsal, I accidentally got my Vax77 stuck in a setup mode, and then powered it off hoping to recover with a quick restart (in hindsight, not a good idea). Now on startup the touch screen flashes white for an instant, then scrolls "ERROR-Restoring Factory defaults" on a blue screen a bunch of times, then freezes non-responsive. I suspect the firmware got corrupted, and tried the update firmware sequence in the user manual to no avail.

Has anyone else encountered/recovered with this error, or any other suggestions to recover?

Purchased new in 2012, hoping to unbrick the $3k keyboard, it was great until that fateful button/power sequence. Thanks in advance,
Sad Vax77 owner

KC Island
#2932643 - 06/13/18 05:42 PM Re: Vax77 ERROR-Restoring Factory defaults [Re: robbb]
robbb Offline

Edited by robbb (06/13/18 06:29 PM)

#2932657 - 06/13/18 07:32 PM Re: Vax77 ERROR-Restoring Factory defaults [Re: robbb]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Hoo boy, that sucks! I have an email in to Glenn at Infinite Response (I have several email addresses for him from over the years) to see if I can get any answer from him. I'll let you know if I hear anything.

Also, you could contact these guys, I got this from a back door on the old Infinite Response website:

I took the liberty of contacting them on your behalf, as I would would want to know where to turn to if I ever had my VAX77 go down.

#2932664 - 06/13/18 08:43 PM Re: Vax77 ERROR-Restoring Factory defaults [Re: Marzzz]
TWB121234 Offline

Loc: Minnesota
Advanced installed a new motherboard in my Vax77 some time ago. A well over $600 repair after shipping and everything, but they did a good job. I was kind of in the same quandary as the OP, spend the money for the repair or have a $3,000 paperweight.

#2932778 - 06/14/18 12:41 PM Re: Vax77 ERROR-Restoring Factory defaults [Re: TWB121234]
robbb Offline

Thanks for those replies, great info! If there's any more updates/info please let me know.

Since the problem occurred on a healthy system with just a button push and a power cycle, it seems like either the restore procedure isn't documented/tested correctly, or the Vax has an undocumented self-destruct "feature". I'm hoping there's some undocumented button pushes, a workaround (internal jumper?), or maybe I just didn't do the restore procedure correctly.

Starting on p.93 of the Vax manual (v3.2), it describes an error if power is cut during a download to flash memory, which sounds very similar to my scenario:
Quote:
In the case of power loss, the synth descriptions being downloaded at the time might be corrupted instead of partially loaded. An error message would display if that were the case, and the VAX would return to factory default synth descriptions.
It then says to run Patch Librarian, so I did a new install of Patch Librarian, then plugged in the Vax, and saw the PC installing the Vax77 driver. Then running Librarian with Vax77->Update Firmware, I get: "Unable to detect Vax77. Check connection". Got same behavior on 2 different PCs.

I'll guess the Vax is trying to re-install the firmware, but it's not finding/loading it correctly, and hangs. Where the manual says to press the left side wheel to enter firmware update mode (p.94), in reality it doesn't respond while in this error mode. I'd think the situation might be similar to the initial firmware boot-load used during assembly - how would they get it loaded correctly the first time?

Seems like at least 1 other user encountered the problem on a reddit post 2y ago, though dunno if they ever got it resolved:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMa...y_reset_issues/

So...if Advanced Musical turns out to be the only option, and they're still able to repair Vaxes, I'd do it. But it still may not prevent the situation from occurring again, so stay away from that Setup button unless we can figure this out!
-Rob

Edited by robbb (06/14/18 12:50 PM)

#2932789 - 06/14/18 01:55 PM Re: Vax77 ERROR-Restoring Factory defaults [Re: robbb]
Marzzz Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Robbb-

I heard back from Glenn, he says that you need a new flash chip. If you would PM me your contact info, I will forward it to Glenn and Van. Glenn says they will be able to send you a new chip and instructions for the fix.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner