Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2932608 - 06/13/18 01:03 PM Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano
Fleer Offline

And it's an absolute marvel: Steingraeber E-272
Just listen from 0.44 on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k0HIj8mj_I&feature=youtu.be

KC Island
#2932610 - 06/13/18 01:06 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Fleer]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
Beautiful, I'm heading right downstairs to make the buy.

#2932614 - 06/13/18 01:22 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Fleer]
BernMeister Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: Fleer
And it's an absolute marvel: Steingraeber E-272
Just listen from 0.44 on:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k0HIj8mj_I&feature=youtu.be

I never thought I'd say this but this piano sounds pretty good. Sure, the reverb doesn't hurt...

I wonder if their other pianos will soon be upgraded to get this kind of "realism" ?

#2932632 - 06/13/18 03:47 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: BernMeister]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

It’s beautiful and plays like a dream. My new default Pteq piano for sure.

Also, you can currently grab a second instrument for half price. I went for the Hohner collection - love that Electra-piano.

#2932640 - 06/13/18 05:27 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Bobby Simons]
Clawback Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Victoria BC, Canada
The strangest thing happened when I installed and launched the trial version for Mac – very loud distorted thuds and incomplete piano tones – when I played from the keyboard and clicked on the virtual keyboard notes on the interface. This happened in standalone and imported into MainStage which otherwise works normally.

I uninstalled, unpacked again from the disc image & reinstalled Pianoteq. All MIDI and audio settings are good. Any clues? I'm on High Sierra 10.13.5

I've downloaded and installed Pianoteq 6 trial versions at least twice, with no issues.

#2932641 - 06/13/18 05:39 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Clawback]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Odd. You’re hearing this in addition to the notes they deliberately block in demo mode? Also, did you update to 6.2?

#2932646 - 06/13/18 05:50 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Bobby Simons]
Clawback Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

I simply downloaded the trial version from their site, and just did it again in case the original disk image was corrupted. Same thing, and it's their version 6.2.0

The notes sound like a loud buzz-saw, then a faint sound of a piano string tailing off in the reverb. It's all notes, on medium velocity. I've checked my settings and tried other VI's, no problem.

No worries, I'll uninstall it. Modartt makes it extremely easy to try and buy. I'm sure it's a glitch on their end so perhaps will be fixed shortly.

#2932650 - 06/13/18 06:29 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Clawback]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Very Nice!
They are starting to get the attack quite realistic.
I noticed it first on the Grotian which is also one of their newer models.

#2932652 - 06/13/18 06:54 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Fleer Offline

Yeah, that Grotrian was a step forward.
This new Steingraeber is another leap.
Love it as much as their Blüthner.
Pianoteq is on a roll, no doubt.

#2932659 - 06/13/18 07:54 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Fleer]
Clawback Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Update - that heavy distortion was only from the Steinways. Everything else is fine.

That said, my favourite is still the Grotrian. It can sound incredibly intimate and is a perfect complement in the toolbox for Ravenscroft.

Isn't it great when there is a chance to try before the buy? Well done, Modartt.

#2932660 - 06/13/18 07:59 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Fleer]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Wow, this is the first Pianoteq demo that's really appealed to me. I'll have to try this.

#2932662 - 06/13/18 08:31 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: AnotherScott]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Can't stop playing it.

#2932668 - 06/13/18 08:56 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Bobby Simons]
Fleer Offline

Originally Posted By: Bobby Simons
It’s beautiful and plays like a dream. My new default Pteq piano for sure.

Also, you can currently grab a second instrument for half price. I went for the Hohner collection - love that Electra-piano.

Good choice. Vintage Electric Pianos (Rhodes and Wurli) are very good as well.

#2932670 - 06/13/18 09:19 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Fleer]
chas50 Offline

just bought Steingraeber and Vintage EP's thanks to advice from intelligent and cool awesome forum member. smile

#2932690 - 06/14/18 04:08 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: chas50]
Gary75 Offline
Platinum Member

Are we there then? Is this it, no more need for massive hybrid sample libraries? I hope so. Sounds great.

#2932694 - 06/14/18 05:03 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Gary75]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Quote:
Are we there then? Is this it, no more need for massive hybrid sample libraries? I hope so. Sounds great.

They're getting closer all the time. But the small footprint comes at a cost - you need more horsepower under the hood. I've layered multiple instances of Pianoteq in Mainstage and easily buried the CPU usage meter in the red.

Still, yeah - it can only improve. My Generalmusic Pro 2 used to be an absolute wonder of physical modeling. I can't remember the last time I turned that on, it's been leaning against a wall forever.

#2932696 - 06/14/18 05:18 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Bobby Simons]
ElmerJFudd Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: USA, greater NY area
Quote:

They're getting closer all the time. But the small footprint comes at a cost - you need more horsepower under the hood. I've layered multiple instances of Pianoteq in Mainstage and easily buried the CPU usage meter in the red.

Still, yeah - it can only improve. My Generalmusic Pro 2 used to be an absolute wonder of physical modeling. I can't remember the last time I turned that on, it's been leaning against a wall forever.

Live, I typically wouldn’t layer multiple instances of Pianoteq or use Spacedesigner at full resolution. (Actually I would use a different reverb entirely if CPU was a problem). But Pianoteq isn’t any more CPU heavy than Keyscape/Omnisphere, less even. But ya acoustic pianos in general - we want high poly with pedal use and low latency under the fingers.

Alternatively, in band context - TruePianos is very light on CPU and layers nicely with strings or what have you. But these latest models of Pianoteq sound more like the source instruments to me than TruePianos and that can be attractive when playing solo or with singer/trio.

#2932703 - 06/14/18 07:03 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: ElmerJFudd]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
I haven't gotten pianoteq yet (been pretty happy with CFX lite and have other $$ priorities) but I think it's awesome that we have multiple techs all chasing the same thing (and getting closer). Certainly it's a pain loading even the lite CFX in "full" mode from my non-ssd drive, modeling has some real pluses!

#2932711 - 06/14/18 07:48 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Fleer]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Demos sounded nice. If I end up buying Pianoteq for this new grand, I'm thinking I'd buy the base Pianoteq variation that comes with their EPs. I think there's more chance I'd find a use for them than for the two other acoustics that come in their AP version.

#2932713 - 06/14/18 07:53 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Gary75]
hardware Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Macau
Originally Posted By: Gary75

Actually for Wurlitzer and Band cutting Acoustic Piano we’ve been there.
But for classical and solo performing this is the icing on the cake.
I’ve been using PTeq since vrs. 2.0.
Just wanted a Piano I could detune and edit to cut through a full band mix.
PTeq 4 Upright and the Kawai Grand did it.
But this Piano could have a detuned preset for band work, then a perfectly tuned grand for solo.
Really great sound across all octaves.

#2932715 - 06/14/18 08:08 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: hardware]
Bobby Simons Offline
Gold Member

Now that I'm more likely to commit to it, I guess my next move with Pianoteq should be from the Stage edition to the Standard. I like to tinker a little deeper sometimes.

Has anyone else made that switch and was it worth it to you?

#2932716 - 06/14/18 08:21 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Bobby Simons]
Legatoboy Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Huntington Sta., New York (LI)
I'll check it out hopefully this weekend!

#2932720 - 06/14/18 08:58 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: AnotherScott]
Clawback Online   happy
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

Demos sounded nice. If I end up buying Pianoteq for this new grand, I'm thinking I'd buy the base Pianoteq variation that comes with their EPs. I think there's more chance I'd find a use for them than for the two other acoustics that come in their AP version.

I'm leaning in this direction too. Stage price-point EPs plus either the Grotrian or Steingraeber.

#2932749 - 06/14/18 10:21 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Clawback]
EscapeRocks Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
The PianoTeq Steinway D is my go to for the live rig.

I don't use Mainstage built in effects. I run Stuff from iKMultimedia. No issues with CPU.

I just upgraded to PT6.2 and got the new piano. It is VERY nice!

#2932772 - 06/14/18 11:51 AM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Legatoboy]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Legatoboy
I'll check it out hopefully this weekend!

Me too, Tony. Pretty sure it's going to be an additional Father's Day present. wink
Trent Reznor

#2932792 - 06/14/18 02:14 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: davedoerfler]
Mark Schmieder Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
I wouldn't have known about this if not for this thread. Weird how customers who own everything, don't get alerted to updates and new models, until way after everyone else is already talking about them on forums.

At super-soft volume, I liked certain aspects of slow and soft pieces, but once I turned up the volume on my monitors, I started cringing any time there was a flourish of fast notes. So artificial! Also true of most samples though. It remains the biggest weakness and tell-tale sign vs. the real deal.

I might buy this anyway, as I think it just might be the best VI piano yet for the slower and softer pieces that end up sounding so fake with most other sources. Some of that is the modeling, and some of it the uniqueness of the Steingraeber.

#2932794 - 06/14/18 02:25 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Mark Schmieder]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Mark Schmieder
the uniqueness of the Steingraeber.

the only other Steingraeber I've ever owned is a long discontinued Native Instruments sampled Steingraeber upright. I did like it for it's uniqueness. Did stop using it once I purchased Pianoteq's U4 upright though.

Mark, I also found out about this new offering via this forum. Maybe we will get an email from Pianoteq next week. smile
Trent Reznor

#2932809 - 06/14/18 04:10 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: chas50]
Fleer Offline

Originally Posted By: chas50
just bought Steingraeber and Vintage EP's thanks to advice from intelligent and cool awesome forum member. smile

thu

#2932810 - 06/14/18 04:13 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: davedoerfler]
Theo Verelst Online   confused
MP Hall of Fame Member

Maybe it's considered bad taste to consider how these programsa work (all appears to be secret), from the quick going over the demo (not on my big audio system, maybe I'll try tomorrow) I don't know for sure what's sampled bits from the recording session or simply the PM program. Sounds ok, but maybe I'll have to post an example one day of what I consider a concert grand to sound like, to make some of my long time issues clear about all this s.w. .

#2932811 - 06/14/18 04:25 PM Re: Pianoteq has a new amazing grand piano [Re: Bobby Simons]
Phreakay Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Australia
Now that I'm more likely to commit to it, I guess my next move with Pianoteq should be from the Stage edition to the Standard. I like to tinker a little deeper sometimes.

Has anyone else made that switch and was it worth it to you?

I started with Standard, so cannot comment on the difference in features to Stage, but Standard has more tinkering options than I will ever use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Grave Bryce, Stephen Fortner