Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Topic Options
#2932584 - 06/13/18 10:32 AM OT: Bourdain
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
With his so untimely death, I wanted to post the link to the New Yorker article that put him on the map and prompted him to write his breakout book ‘Kitchen Confidential’. The advice is still relevant today.

Don’t Eat Before Reading This

Also, two quick tidbits:

He once won a burger contest by injecting bacon fat into the center of the patty before cooking. More proof that bacon makes everything better.

He used to be a chain-smoker, and was visiting Thomas Keller’s iconic restaurant in Napa Valley, The French Laundry, with some other famous chefs. Keller had his waiter take the pack of smokes from Bourdain, and he turned the tobacco into an improvised appetizer. Bourdain loved it and cited it as the mark of a truly great chef; to turn nearly anything into a creative dish.

He will be missed.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

KC Island
#2932588 - 06/13/18 10:56 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Synthaholic]
Stokely Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Florida
The hardest time I have with suicides is when I hear they have kids. That really tears me up, because it's not only the loss of life but the potential destruction (to some extent) of other lives.

#2932597 - 06/13/18 11:42 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Stokely]
Bobby Simons Online   content

Loc: Northport, L.I., NY
I was a reluctant fan who got totally on board after this episode that covered Canadian ice fishing, local strippers, and lap dances to King Crimson. I mean, come on. . .

#2932639 - 06/13/18 05:23 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Bobby Simons]
Kawai James Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Hamamatsu, Japan
Bourdain also collaborated with David Simon on the writing of television masterpiece Treme:

The above clip is an excerpt from a much longer interview, that is linked in the description of the video.

Cheers,
James
x

#2932644 - 06/13/18 05:44 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Stokely]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
Originally Posted By: Stokely
The hardest time I have with suicides is when I hear they have kids. That really tears me up, because it's not only the loss of life but the potential destruction (to some extent) of other lives.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2932645 - 06/13/18 05:46 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Kawai James]
Shamanzarek Offline
Gold Member

Loc: NJ
He was a big fan of Punk Rock, especially The Ramones. Playing Billy Joel, Elton John, or Grateful Dead in his kitchen was grounds for firing. He had been a heavy smoker as well as using Cocaine and Heroin at some point in his life.

#2932651 - 06/13/18 06:38 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Shamanzarek]
wd8dky Offline
Gold Member

Loc: Chicagoland
The hardest part for me about suicide is when they *are* kids.

#2932737 - 06/14/18 09:50 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: wd8dky]
WheelHead Offline

Originally Posted By: wd8dky

Apologies for the remarks, but: I have a difficult time reading good things about a person who commits suicide which is a trend today (speaking well of the person). IMHO, a person who commits suicide is a murderer as nefarious as a person who murders someone else. Also, extremely self-centered and thoughtless/hostile act to his family, his friends and co-workers. Constitutionally, (figure of speech) here in the US for example you own yourself but morally you are also 'owned'/part-of-their-life/loved by your family, friends and co-workers. A disgusting thing to do to them. Not to mention, the financial burden put on the family without the victim's earnings.

WH

#2932747 - 06/14/18 10:15 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: WheelHead]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Originally Posted By: WheelHead
Originally Posted By: wd8dky

Apologies for the remarks, but: I have a difficult time reading good things about a person who commits suicide which is a trend today (speaking well of the person). IMHO, a person who commits suicide is a murderer as nefarious as a person who murders someone else. Also, extremely self-centered and thoughtless/hostile act to his family, his friends and co-workers. Constitutionally, (figure of speech) here in the US for example you own yourself but morally you are also 'owned'/part-of-their-life/loved by your family, friends and co-workers. A disgusting thing to do to them. Not to mention, the financial burden put on the family without the victim's earnings.

WH

You say that like it was an easy decision for them. It's probably too political/divisive to get into it, but I don't think that anyone that commits suicide is well nor rational. IMO, it's comments like the above that prevent those with mental illnesses from getting help. People keep acting like it's an easy decision and it's not a decision at all.

That being said, I agree that the consequences on those around them and dependent upon them are terrible. I wish that played into the "decision" and held them back from doing it, but clearly it doesn't.

Edited by Joe Muscara (06/14/18 10:16 AM)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2932748 - 06/14/18 10:18 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Joe Muscara]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Edmonton, Alberta
Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara
You say that like it was an easy decision for them. It's probably too political/divisive to get into it, but I don't think that anyone that commits suicide is well nor rational. IMO, it's comments like the above that prevent those with mental illnesses from getting help. People keep acting like it's an easy decision and it's not a decision at all.

That being said, I agree that the consequences on those around them and dependent upon them are terrible. I wish that played into the "decision" and held them back from doing it, but clearly it doesn't.

Indeed. Mental illness is exactly that, an illness, and anyone who has a fatal illness has got it pretty damn bad. Judge not or whatever, instead check in on your friends and family, genuinely, and take care of each other.

#2932760 - 06/14/18 11:01 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Joe Muscara]
WheelHead Offline

Originally Posted By: Joe Muscara

IMO, it's comments like the above that prevent those with mental illnesses from getting help.

My last remark:

Correct it's your opinion. I am not a psychiatrist either to make individual accurate judgements but have a general opinion too. My opinion: having community empathy and understanding/finding mental-health sympathetic reasons of people that commit suicide in the mass-community or significant portion of it and not calling it out as a dastardly deed of what it is, makes it easier for the person to commit the deed knowing he/she will be 'understood'. That is the trend. Now obviously a severely mentally-ill person who has hurt himself in the past and presents a threat to himself needs treatment (perhaps a developmental facility) and should not be unsupervised.

Mental illness can be applied in theory to all human-caused loss of life and lawyers use it all the time: school shooters, terrorists, general felons, crimes/murders of passion etc.

WH

#2932761 - 06/14/18 11:02 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Rod S Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: São Paulo, Brasil
I used to think like WH, but time has (thankfully) given me perspective and understand the complexity of the issue and ensure I'm less judgmental and more supportive. I agree with Eric, take care of those close to you.

Several years ago when we had a SSS (Craig Anderton's old forum here at MP) who posted something about wanting to commit suicide (circa 2001-2002 maybe?). Immediately another forum member posted a message in CAPS warning forum members to try to locate this person before anything happened. My initial thought was the guy who posted the message was trying to get attention, and the person who posted was overreacting. I'm glad I have more perspective and understanding now. They did get a hold of they guy...

Last year a neighbor committed suicide - I live in a apartment complex and it was next building over. The person was in suicide watch warning, managed to divert the attention of the person at home that was home taking care of him, cut the safety netting around the balcony (common here in Brazil in apartments with small kids) and jumped. I was shocked at the whole sequence of events. In a bizarre coincidence, this neighbor has a very similar name as me and I started getting calls in my phone as some folks thought it was me.

#2932763 - 06/14/18 11:05 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: MAJUSCULE]
synthizen2 Offline
Gold Member

Loc: USA
Being that this happened just days (before/after?) Kate Spade's suicide, there is now a TON of talk about Bourdain's suicide on social media & youtube.

A lot of theories abound about why this happened... but the best postmortem analysis I've heard said something along these lines:

Quote:
With his recent comment where he said (in an interview) that the ultimate solution to the world's problems would be to eliminate the ethnic differences between people and create a world of Cappuccino colored people... He seemed to end up reviling the very world of diverse culinary differences that he enjoyed in his job. He enjoyed the food, but he didn't seem to enjoy what the people giving him the food were trying to say to him about their culture.

Just a theory but a very prescient one.

#2932764 - 06/14/18 11:11 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: synthizen2]
Joe Muscara Offline
Triple Secret Banninated
10k Club

Loc: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
The "good news" in the Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain suicides is that it has bumped up the number of people seeking help, for themselves or people they are concerned about. Hopefully that will offset the number of people who are considering suicide after seeing theirs, which is an unfortunate consequence of high-profile suicides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0eMkcc91E

#2932803 - 06/14/18 03:39 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: MAJUSCULE]
ProfD Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Wash DC Area
Originally Posted By: MAJUSCULE
Indeed. Mental illness is exactly that, an illness, and anyone who has a fatal illness has got it pretty damn bad. Judge not or whatever, instead check in on your friends and family, genuinely, and take care of each other.

Well said brotha Eric. thu

The world will be a much better place once human beings tackle racism and mental illness.

It all starts with love and living by the golden rule; treating each other as you wish to be treated regardless of real or perceived differences.

I enjoyed watching Tony interact with people from different cultures across the globe.

I'm sure he had a chance to see the best and worst of humanity. RIP Mr. Bourdain. cool

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

#2932808 - 06/14/18 04:05 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: ProfD]
Fleer Offline

Been watching some of his travel and food shows. Gonna miss that guy.

#2932824 - 06/14/18 05:51 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Fleer]
David Loving Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Texas
Suicides just show how serious depression is. Coupled with substance abuse and alcoholism for self-medication, it is becoming an epidemic. One really bad side is that a suicide can send this terrible thing down the line in families. Bourdain's daughter now has a bad example in the family. I hope she does not follow her dad, but it has happened in families.

#2932864 - 06/14/18 10:12 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: David Loving]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Yeah, like don't tell me the First Nations youth suicide epidemic in Canada exists because they're lazy/self-centered/will feel understood or whatever. Don't tell me trans suicide rates are where they are because of that.

#2932957 - 06/15/18 12:29 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: MAJUSCULE]
LX88 Offline
Platinum Member

One of the best comparative descriptions that I have heard regarding people who actually make the decision to end their own lives is this...

"It's like being in a burning building, and you have to take the leap to get out of it like the people in the World Trade Center did. You just can't stand the heat and the burning anymore so you have no other choice than to end the torture".

Why else would anybody do this?

I have also heard about people who feel the need to make a strong statement and are willing to end their lives to do it.

Their is a famous photo of monk who set himself on fire, which as I recall was a protest against the war in Vietnam.

The problem with that is that most of the people who are responsible for the injustice are far too insensitive to care.

In 2012 I witnessed a mass shooting at a gig. The man who shot and killed 4 women was a police officer who used a public weapon. I literally witnessed the last moments of one woman's life, who talked to me while she waited for the ambulance. She recognized me as the person she was listening to sing at the time she had been shot, which is how she related to me.

Since that incident , I have had several encounters and run ins with bullying policemen, and it always takes me several days (at least) to calm down. It frequently re- triggers the level of terror that I experienced that night.

Since I live alone, this has been a huge problem.

I always kind of thought that PTSD was over rated until all of this happened.

But when you see an innocent woman gunned down, and three others that are not going to get back up, it does something to you.

BTW, I am still seeking a therapist who " gets it".

#2933010 - 06/15/18 08:00 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: LX88]
MAJUSCULE Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Damn LX... hang in there pal. That is truly nuts. I've been close to a shooting before but never anything like that. I know words on the internet don't mean much, but you know this community supports each other and goes above and beyond. If you ever need anything, you know one of us will be there for you as best we can. Big love to you my friend.

#2933013 - 06/15/18 09:09 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: MAJUSCULE]
Mark Zeger Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Rochester, NY
An amazing tribute from David Simon

http://davidsimon.com/tony/

#2933017 - 06/15/18 09:46 PM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Mark Zeger]
davedoerfler Online   confused
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp
Originally Posted By: Mark Zeger

excellent read. I have to admit that although I knew who Tony Bourdain was through incessant advertising, I had never seen one episode of anything he had ever been involved in. Based on this article people really seemed to like the guy. RIP
MojoGuyPan

#2933105 - 06/16/18 11:13 AM Re: OT: Bourdain [Re: Mark Zeger]
Polychrest Offline

Loc: Upper Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark Zeger

Inspired and inspiring. Thank you for sharing this.

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner