Music Player Network Home Guitar Player Magazine Keyboard Magazine Bass Player Magazine EQ Magazine
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#2932094 - 06/10/18 05:55 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: bill bosco]
SteveO42 Offline

I probably should spend the day in confessional as I like most of the the tunes posted. Not that they are great examples of musical genius but because I grew up in the 60's and 70's and these songs bring back memories for me. So what song do I utterly hate? Winchester Cathedral by The New Vaudville Band. It makes my skin crawl smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKc1OCJ7iXk

KC Island
#2932103 - 06/10/18 07:04 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: davedoerfler]
Delaware Dave Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Take a guess ....
Originally Posted By: davedoerfler
typical MGP post laugh
+1000. I had to blocked him, his posts are meaningless to me.

#2932265 - 06/11/18 10:39 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: waygetter]
Aidan Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Originally Posted By: MojoGuyPan
I will say Tennille turned into some sort of eye candy after this lame Prince Valiant/Emo Philips do.

Originally Posted By: waygetter
I thought she was smokin' hot, but the Captain always bugged me.

<checks calendar to make sure it's not 1975 any more>

Really?

#2932285 - 06/11/18 12:01 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: Shamanzarek]
area51recording Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Newburgh,IN
Originally Posted By: Shamanzarek
In 1977 this group was nominated for five Grammy's and won two for this. It won Best Vocal Arrangement over "Bohemian Rhapsody".

I like the Ron Burgundy version better.....

#2932363 - 06/12/18 05:33 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
Pepe Toni Offline

Originally Posted By: MathOfInsects

WTF?

This one brings me memories from my childhood.

There's too much crappy music out there (some of them posted here) to post this one in this thread.

#2932380 - 06/12/18 06:58 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: SteveO42]
Pepe Toni Offline

Originally Posted By: SteveO42
I probably should spend the day in confessional as I like most of the the tunes posted. Not that they are great examples of musical genius but because I grew up in the 60's and 70's and these songs bring back memories for me. So what song do I utterly hate? Winchester Cathedral by The New Vaudville Band. It makes my skin crawl smile

You were so right... and then you screwed it up with the Winchester Cathedral... grin

Edited by Pepe Toni (06/12/18 06:59 AM)

#2932566 - 06/13/18 08:33 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: SteveO42]
burningbusch Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Ghost Planet
Originally Posted By: SteveO42

In the summer of 1966, after a gazillion hours of studio time, "Good Vibrations" started its ascent up the pop charts. It reached #1, but after only a couple of days, it was knocked off its perch by Winchester F$#king Cathedral which stayed #1 for several weeks. This should tell you everything you need to know about top 40 music, past, present and future. The listening public prefers a Winchester Cathedral to a Good Vibrations. If a certain time period has a higher ratio of WCs to GVs, they're just giving the public more of what it wants. The point is to make money, not art. If some art happens to slip through, well, shit happens.

Busch.

#2932568 - 06/13/18 08:47 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: burningbusch]
SteinwayB Offline

I have to say I was 5 years old when Winchester F$#king Cathedral was popular and I remember loving that song. ...but I was only 5!

#2932570 - 06/13/18 08:51 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: SteinwayB]
MathOfInsects Online   content
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: California
This is not a thread about songs we remember warmly because childhood is better than the one billion burdens of being a grown-up.

It's a thread about crappy hit songs.

Winchester F$#king Cathedral, sucked. So did that godawful Chirpy Chirp song.

Kids loved Barney, too....

#2932575 - 06/13/18 09:39 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
Barryjam Offline

Loc: Auburn, Northern CA
From the video, it looks like Tennille is playing that fat bass line. Otherwise, I don't know why she would go to the trouble of faking it so accurately for the camera.

But who knows. video accuracy regarding parts and instrumentation has never been a major priority. B3? I'd have to listen with some good headphones.

Home: Steinway L, Bob Schleicher A100 chop, 142 Leslie.

Gigs: Yamaha CP4, Crumar Mojo 61, Ventilator II. Lounsbury T&F. A&H QUsb mixer, Crown & QSC amps, JBL SRX-700 series speakers

#2932601 - 06/13/18 12:00 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: Barryjam]
El Lobo Offline
Gold Member

I'd never heard that Chirpy Chirpy song before - and I listened to a lot of music in the early 70s. What a strange song. It's all happy-sounding chirpy cheep then the lyric says "I woke up this morning and my mama was gone." Was the songwriter happy that mama was gone? I dunno.

And I always thought Winchester Cathedral was a dumb record. It's kind of a parody of 20's style music. but the lyric is idiotic.

"Afternoon delight" however added a new phrase to the lexicon, about which I have some very pleasant memories. smile Not many songs have done that.

Edited by El Lobo (06/13/18 12:05 PM)

#2932602 - 06/13/18 12:02 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: Barryjam]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: Barryjam
From the video, it looks like Tennille is playing that fat bass line. Otherwise, I don't know why she would go to the trouble of faking it so accurately for the camera.

But who knows. video accuracy regarding parts and instrumentation has never been a major priority. B3? I'd have to listen with some good headphones.

I think they are each playing actual parts. Of course we're not hearing them, but those are clearly the actual parts of the song.

I do remember a very young version of myself noticing that Tennille filled out (what I a now know to be called) a pantsuit very, very nicely. I also got a kind of svengali D/S vibe from ol' Capt, and looking at them now has not changed that perception.

But what I don't understand is why people are posting "Love Will Keep Us Together" and not MUSKRAT LOVE, aka one of the crappiest of the crappy songs from the past.

I will rectify this oversight forthwith.

#2932603 - 06/13/18 12:28 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
AnotherScott Online   content
10k Club

Yes. LWKUT was a great pop song. Muskrat Love, umm, not.

#2932635 - 06/13/18 04:27 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp

I will rectify this oversight forthwith.

what a keyboard setup, if you can get past the song. crazy
MojoGuyPan

#2932678 - 06/13/18 10:55 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: davedoerfler]
MP Hall of Fame Member

People seemed to use a lot more vintage keys in the old days.

By the way, here are the lyrics to Muskrat Love. Not one of the highlights of American pop composition.

Muskrat, Muskrat, candle light
Doing the town and doing it right in the evening
It's pretty pleasing
Muskrat Suzie, Muskrat Sam
Do the jitterbug out in Muskrat Land
And they shimmy... Sam is so skinny

And they whirl and they twirl and they tango
Singing and Jinging a Jango
Floating like the heavens above
Looks like Muskrat Love

Nibbling on bacon, chewing on cheese
Sam says to Suzie, Honey, would you please be my Mrs.
Suzie says yes with her kisses
Now he's tickling her fancy, rubbing her toes
Muzzle to muzzle, now, anything goes as they wriggle,
Sue starts to giggle

#2932928 - 06/15/18 10:06 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
Mjazz Offline

Loc: CA US

#2932960 - 06/15/18 12:43 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: Mjazz]
10k Club

#2932998 - 06/15/18 04:42 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: AnotherScott]
MP Hall of Fame Member

I so clearly remember it being kind of a big deal that "Jefferson Starship" was going to be Starship and come out with a new song that summer, and then the day came when the song came out, and there was this initial, "Oh, new song" excitement for about 13 awkward seconds, and then a long, slow dawning over the remainder of the song that it maybe kinda stank, or maybe even royally stank, we'll have to wait until it comes on the radio again to see, and then, Yup, this song definitely royally stinks with bonus odor-enhancing-crystals for extra suckness.

#2933014 - 06/15/18 09:12 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
davedoerfler Offline
KCFF League Champion 2017
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: the swamp

C & T certainly were not schlepping their equipment around. Obviously the budget was large enough for a road crew.
MojoGuyPan

#2933015 - 06/15/18 09:31 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
timwat Offline
Quite wealthy...spiritually
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Concord,CA,UNITED STATES
I so clearly remember it being kind of a big deal that "Jefferson Starship" was going to be Starship and come out with a new song that summer, and then the day came when the song came out, and there was this initial, "Oh, new song" excitement for about 13 awkward seconds, and then a long, slow dawning over the remainder of the song that it maybe kinda stank, or maybe even royally stank, we'll have to wait until it comes on the radio again to see, and then, Yup, this song definitely royally stinks with bonus odor-enhancing-crystals for extra suckness.

Agreed...but then the very next song on the record was this well-written little piece of loveliness (with Rebecca DeMornay in the video):

#2933022 - 06/15/18 10:13 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: AnotherScott]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Loc: Proud Resister of 2nd helpings
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

I like that song. I have no idea if the lyrics are rubbish, because I never pay attention to lyrics from 90% of songs. Probably why I donít detest Muskrat Love either. The tunes are fine.

Plus, Stephen Bishop gets bonus points for playing the guy who gets his guitar smashed by Belushi in Animal House.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2933024 - 06/15/18 10:20 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: timwat]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Originally Posted By: timwat

Agreed...but then the very next song on the record was this well-written little piece of loveliness (with Rebecca DeMornay in the video):

Sometimes when I go on break Iíll put on Saras; this one, Sara, from Fleetwood Mac, Sara Smile from H&O, Sarah Jane (Dylan), Sarah Maria (JT), Me and Sarah Jane (Genesis), etc.

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

#2933026 - 06/15/18 10:30 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: Synthaholic]
Synthaholic Offline
Platinum Member

Ugh.

Oof.

Iím gonna hurl.

The worst?

#2933028 - 06/15/18 11:08 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: davedoerfler]
MP Hall of Fame Member

Originally Posted By: mathofinsects

C & T certainly were not schlepping their equipment around. Obviously the budget was large enough for a road crew.

I keep trying to make this joke work, and I keep sucking at it.

#2933030 - 06/15/18 11:17 PM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
Dave Ferris Offline
MP Hall of Fame Member

Loc: Glendale, Ca.
Ellis did a pretty cool job with On & on. Although I've heard him in better voice. We used to work together frequently with this one horrible casual agency. Work is work. wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwOGIckzgRk

2005 NY Steinway D

#2933045 - 06/16/18 04:45 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: davedoerfler]
10k Club

The point is, back then, it wasn't vintage. ;-) Those boards are what there was!

#2933065 - 06/16/18 07:37 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: AnotherScott]
ChiefDanG Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Originally Posted By: AnotherScott

The point is, back then, it wasn't vintage. ;-) Those boards are what there was!

I'm old enough to remember playing back then and thinking "Man, these are the good old days!"

#2933078 - 06/16/18 09:13 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: ChiefDanG]
MP Hall of Fame Member

In the early 90ís I used to introduce myself as a ďpre-YouTube musician.Ē

#2933080 - 06/16/18 09:28 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: MathOfInsects]
AWkeys Offline

I could never stand this one:

Or this one, regardless of the nice keys. Her voice...ugh:

#2933081 - 06/16/18 09:31 AM Re: In which we post crappy songs from the past [Re: AWkeys]
10k Club

Well once you let in disco, the list is endless.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Dave Bryce, Stephen Fortner